• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’d Like to Apologize to NeoGAF, Give a Special Thank You and LTTPs too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

Of course! Like how I wish I am Snake, Link, or some big muscle dude in FPS games. I bet lots of women wish they are as great and nice as some animated women too. Depends on who you are talking about though, some can be demeaning yes, while most are not.

We are not closing off ourselves. It's just too bad that our real world human can not competed to animated/video game characters. Same as real world can not compete to animated/video game world. So we use our spare time to escape for talking and interacting with our wives, just like how you escape the real world and interact with video games. We are all the same.
You're not getting a tag for this.

Good on you OP for sticking to who you are and saying sorry for comments about a group of people. Everyone makes mistakes so don't let it get you down as you tried to fix it.

Persona 5 is going to be my first one, can't wait!

Drencrom

So this thread is basically about people that are so regressed and undernourished that they find solace in life by obsessing over fictional, animated characters and they're now rationalizing their obsession as being a pseudo-world changing, pacifist and feminist lifestyle/outlook on life.

DarkFlow

Banned
Well for me I don't devote my life in the waifu culture. No worries there.

I don't want to just become a person like other people though.

I doubt my car and cat would be creeped out that I call them my wives too. Some people are just more sensitive and loving than other people. I wish they could talk back though.

Married to just one? No way.
Hold up, you call your cat a wife?

213372bu

Banned
Good on you OP for sticking to who you are and saying sorry for comments about a group of people. Everyone makes mistakes so don't let it get you down as you tried to fix it.

Everytime people say "stay who you are" or "youre a pretty cool dude :) mad respect" are fueling his unhealthy obsession.

You're hurting the man/woman.

Arcadius

Banned

That must be totally exciting! I'm going blind on media for Persona 5, I probably won't play it on release or anywhere near release date, still other things to enjoy, other genres to delve into.

Thanks for the comment.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
You're right, it was pretty intense. Maybe it's not the best medium to have gone through, but it's the one that just happened to be there and it worked out pretty well. I don't have much experience with how others handle guilt, but imagine this. Through my entire life, I am sought for my unbiased positions, for the way I can handle situations and how I can talk to others using experience; when I basically say "Nope all crap because so and so", it's like removing who I am and not entirely existing.

I appreciate the concern and the fact you sifted through my post to bring up an example. To better explain that situation, I made the quoted comment some time ago, a week later I felt remorse and guilt, I then had issues sleeping for ~4 days, and it was on my mind for 2 weeks (long I know). I don't think it's weird that I had such thoughts and guilt, though the medium that I used maybe weird.

If you're happy with it there's little need for therapy. There's no such thing as a "normal" person that everybody's psyche needs to adhere to (aside from the *extreme* example of someone who matches no single criterion in the DSM) and there's no "fixing" required if you're content and still function normally.

Dr. Buni

This is totally wrong. We are the one who respect, honor, and recognize women the most.

Women are not commodities to be fought over. We help them to get the care, love, and attention they deserve. This is not off putting or weird.

Animated women or not, some of them are the most amazing, sweet, caring, loving, and adorable people in the world. They made our life that much more meaningful and completed. Without them we have no reason to live in this cold and selfish planet. So what's wrong that we do a little to glorify our women who saved us?

Just saying if we are all a bit more respectful or thoughtful or understanding our world would be a much better place. Waifu or not they are our guide and inspiration so we appreciate them, that's all.
Hahahaha XD I am not sure if this is a real post, but it made my day. Excuse me but I need to read the whole thread now.

Tesseract

Banned
So this thread is basically about people that are so regressed and undernourished that they find solace in life by obsessing over fictional, animated characters and they're now rationalizing their obsession as being a pseudo-world changing, pacifist and feminist lifestyle/outlook on life.

that's about right

Arcadius

Banned
If you're happy with it there's little need for therapy. There's no such thing as a "normal" person that everybody's psyche needs to adhere to (aside from the *extreme* example of someone who matches no single criterion in the DSM) and there's no "fixing" required if you're content and still function normally.

Thanks for this, I don't think I need any fixing either. I'd like to believe I'm a pretty healthy individual who has just expanded on some things in life. It's like leveling up and learning a new talent/skill never known before.

I read this whole thing

And honestly I'm still not sure whats going on

HeelPower

Good to hear :) And yes I hope one day I'll experience that as well. It's always taken more to move me than most, it's both a strength and weakness, as I imagine your sensitivity also is.

don't hope for it.

Your being mentally stable and difficult to manipulate emotionally is most definitely a huge advantage.

Xianghua

Banned
Sorry, I don't want to be like an animated woman with unrealistic characteristics/proportions and with some random person assuming that I would want to be their wife due to being created in an appealing way. It's a shame that we real human women cannot reach those impossible standards of animated/videogame women.

We don't assume they want to be our wives, no. It was mostly just used as an expression on how much we love them.

If they could ever talked back to us(which is our biggest wish in our life), then they can accept/reject us all they want.

Don't jump to conclusion.

Hold up, you call your cat a wife?

She was a girlfriend at first, but now upgraded since last year.

Arcadius

Banned
don't hope for it.

Your being mentally stable and difficult to manipulate emotionally is most definitely a huge advantage.

So I'm not mentally stable?

It's used as a joke a lot on GAF at least but I imagine some people are deadly serious.

Also this has been a great thread, Arcadius, I applaud the op. It was obvious how this thread would go but you posted it anyway so I've gotta admire that.

Your one name I'll remember after this I'm sure. :)

Almost missed this one, thanks for the comment. I knew the thread would go places, it turned out for the better in the end. Thanks!

wolfhowwl

Banned
We are not closing off ourselves. It's just too bad that our real world human can not competed to animated/video game characters. Same as real world can not compete to animated/video game world. So we use our spare time to escape for talking and interacting with our wives, just like how you escape the real world and interact with video games. We are all the same.

But really would the anime character actually want anything to do with your typical waifu culture nerd? Fuck I can actually hear Asuka's reaction

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Honestly...and I know people's reflexive reaction is going to be to call this wrong, but I'm pretty sure its true, I don't think Holy Baikal was particularly into waifu culture, or even particularly liked it.

Oh don't get me wrong, she definitely loves cute stuff, and the associated kindness and fluffiness. But if you actually pay attention to what she said in some topics on here (and, okay, add in some context I have from a couple of conversations we had outside this forum) she's actually fairly concerned with what she recognizes as the infantilizing and even objectifying undercurrents to a lot of the subculture around "moe waifu-ness"

Holy was just a bundle of contradictions, really. She didn't like infantilizing women, but acted like an infantilized character.

I think if she really was a troll,she was trying to point out how a real-life moe character would be like. I mean, she acted like one, and the general audience of GAF found that to be tiring and annoying, or at best, only tolerable in short bursts. I mean I loved reading her posts, but can you imagine interacting with someone like that on a day-to-day basis? To be married to someone like that, as is the case for a lot of folks who want to marry those types of anime girls?

Shengar

Honestly...and I know people's reflexive reaction is going to be to call this wrong, but I'm pretty sure its true, I don't think Holy Baikal was particularly into waifu culture, or even particularly liked it.

Oh don't get me wrong, she definitely loves cute stuff, and the associated kindness and fluffiness. But if you actually pay attention to what she said in some topics on here (and, okay, add in some context I have from a couple of conversations we had outside this forum) she's actually fairly concerned with what she recognizes as the infantilizing and even objectifying undercurrents to a lot of the subculture around "moe waifu-ness"
HolyBaikal indeed into cute culture than waifuism, but her concern isn't about moe waifuness but rather how there is negative stigma attached by liking something cute or moe in particular. Remind you that people who like moe are not necessarily into waifuism as well.

C'mon Aeana, be generous

cajunator

Banned
This is what bothers me. You guys seem to love to play up the "waifu" element in pretty much every situation, except when people actually point out how its weird and off putting, and then you guys try and flip it around and play if off as a joke and that you don't really mean it.

I mean, I wish you guys would just own it instead of always dancing around it and playing coy.

Isnt Nazrin cute?

Enough with the jokes for me
--

Rather than recommend you more games in which they fill your need for a social interaction, (not trying to make a dig, I've just been there in my life early on,) I'm going to strongly suggest you stop playing those games and get some interaction with other persons. The fact that you are able to develop such a strong bond with someone you never talk to, and hold an even more.... intimate... bond with characters in a videogame may mean you need to socialize more.

Go to cons, find a gamer club at your college, something. I used to only play games in middle school because I had very few friends and needed a social outlet. Once I got into highschool and started socializing with others, I felt myriads better and was able to develop friendships that actually mattered and felt better. If you go to college, even more so.

Don't let videogame characters being your only/main form of socialization, it's not healthy. I know the feels.

I agree with this. Arcadius, find people who have similar interests as you. It's fine to get wrapped up over fictional characters, just don't make it everything you think about. I got myself into a hole in the same way, and digging myself out was quite a bit of work.

butzopower

proud of his butz

I do think there are traits that are good to recognize as abnormal, as it can be easy to just assume everyone feels the way you do when there's something actually not working correctly. I agree though, if OP is happy, nothing needing to fix.

Arcadius

Banned
I'm really concerned that people are thinking I'm getting involved with fictional characters, if my post came across as such, disregard it then. I'm not getting involved with any fictional character in anyway aside from enjoying their stories and personalities. I don't believe it'll ever transition into anything deeper than that.

Wait this is really a thing?

I always assumed that only happened in the manga I read and is mostly hyperbole.

I mean what does it say when even manga make fun of that culture.

We don't assume they want to be our wives, no. It was mostly just used as an expression on how much we love them.

If they could ever talked back to us(which is our biggest wish in our life), then they can accept/reject us all they want.

GAF I'm sure you all are more familiar and understanding of this type of culture than I am.

Is this real life? Honest question.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Thanks for this, I don't think I need any fixing either. I'd like to believe I'm a pretty healthy individual who has just expanded on some things in life. It's like leveling up and learning a new talent/skill never known before.

I had similar thoughts about something else once. In the end I was wrong and it turns out that you really don't know how much you value some things until they're gone and you're never getting them back.

Floridian

image.php

Is this avi supposed to be ironic or? Just wondering because every time I see it I get a bit uncomfortable.

aly

To be honest, I see nothing wrong with liking or even having a crush on an animated character. I just thought it was weird that you would would equate that to honoring and being respectful to women in general, since those animated representations in the media are/can be very problematic to actual women. I think its also a mistake to follow the idea that actual human women can't compare to animated women when you realize why that is.

Arcadius

Banned
I do think there are traits that are good to recognize as abnormal, as it can be easy to just assume everyone feels the way you do when there's something actually not working correctly. I agree though, if OP is happy, nothing needing to fix.

I know I came across as a bit of a dick in my earlier posts, but the simple fact that you even care for me in a modicum amount is really endearing. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me and see if I need help, I don't take it lightly.

I had similar thoughts about something else once. In the end I was wrong and it turns out that you really don't know how much you value some things until they're gone and you're never getting them back.

This sounds really serious and sad, I'm sorry you ever had to go through something so painful (it comes across as painful). I'm sorry that my posts come across in a similar manner, I don't intend for it to be that way.

HeelPower

So I'm not mentally stable?

think of it like a spectrum of emotionality rather than a categorical view.

I am someone who went through a phase of being highly emotional and now I like to think I am a lot less emotional.

I like the latter condition a lot better.

Also lack of mental stability here isn't meant to imply crazyness ,but rather a case of being easily reactive/changeable emotionally.

213372bu

Banned
I'm really concerned that people are thinking I'm getting involved with fictional characters, if my post came across as such, disregard it then. I'm not getting involved with any fictional character in anyway aside from enjoying their stories and personalities. I don't believe it'll ever transition into anything deeper than that.

That's not my concern.

My concern is that I believe that your craving for the social aspect of games and wanting to know other people is a result of not being social with others. As in a social deficiency. And the thing is, all that social deficiency can lead you to feel worse down the road, be it emotionally, mentally, or physically harming.

BokehKing

Banned
Damn... I woke up with insomnia, 3 in the morning
I don't know if I'm still awake or dreaming after reading that first post... I mean... Damn... That was a long read and I don't think I comprehended most of it but I tried

Xianghua

Banned
Everytime people say "stay who you are" or "youre a pretty cool dude :) mad respect" are fueling his unhealthy obsession.

You're hurting the man/woman.

Who are you to say what's healthy and what's not healthy for other people? "Nice" people told me to go out and meet real life people before, and I did. Which turned into a disaster most of the time. The times that wasn't a disaster were all pretty "meh" experiences and waste of times.

It's not an unhealthy obsession if they make you happy.

But really would the anime character actually want anything to do with your typical waifu culture nerd? Fuck I can actually hear Asuka's reaction

I bet the anime character would appreciate us more than the other people who don't care about them.

Shengar

This people
Some people use waifu jokingly as a way to refer their favorite character, not being married to their DS or shits like that.

cajunator

Banned

Actually thats true. From talking to HB, I always gathered that she approached anime the same way I do, which is to say enjoying the cute aspects of it, which in its own way is a form of shallow fanservice but perhaps not so damaging. Cuteness makes my soul happy. After a bad day of work, my coworkers go home and drink and take aspirin, and smoke a pack. I go home, and chill out to anime before going to bed. Thats how I roll.
HolyBaikal could appreciate that approach too.

Arcadius

Banned
think of it like a spectrum of emotionality rather than a categorical view.

I am someone who went through a phase of being highly emotional and now I like to think I am a lot less emotional.

I like the latter condition a lot better.

Also lack of mental stability here isn't meant to imply crazyness ,but rather a case of being easily reactive/changeable emotionally.

This is serous stuff, if it matters, I've always been a mix between emotional (not highly) and not as emotional. I don't find any harm so far in being emotional and no one has yet to bring it up to me (family would be the first to tell me, no joke).

That's not my concern.

My concern is that I believe that your craving for the social aspect of games and wanting to know other people is a result of not being social with others. As in a social deficiency. And the thing is, all that social deficiency can lead you to feel worse down the road, be it emotionally, mentally, or physically harming.

Right, I can see how the fact I enjoyed the sim aspects of the game can mean that I don't have a social life or have a deficiency, I'll let you know here and now that I live a slightly social life with friends and family and they all help me experience life more vividly.

Actually thats true. From talking to HB, I always gathered that she approached anime the same way I do, which is to say enjoying the cute aspects of it, which in its own way is a form of shallow fanservice but perhaps not so damaging. Cuteness makes my soul happy. After a bad day of work, my coworkers go home and drink and take aspirin, and smoke a pack. I go home, and chill out to anime before going to bed. Thats how I roll.
HolyBaikal could appreciate that approach too.

I feel like that's pretty great. I do something similar, but not really with anime. Different ways for people to relax.

I know I've mentioned it before, but please don't mix HolyBaikal into the other anime stuff I wrote, that's not at all what Holy would like, I believe.

DocSeuss

This is totally wrong. We are the one who respect, honor, and recognize women the most.

Women are not commodities to be fought over. We help them to get the care, love, and attention they deserve. This is not off putting or weird.

Animated women or not, some of them are the most amazing, sweet, caring, loving, and adorable people in the world. They made our life that much more meaningful and completed. Without them we have no reason to live in this cold and selfish planet. So what's wrong that we do a little to glorify our women who saved us?

Just saying if we are all a bit more respectful or thoughtful or understanding our world would be a much better place. Waifu or not they are our guide and inspiration so we appreciate them, that's all.

This is possibly the most brilliant satire I have ever seen on waifu culture. Respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom