• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I ate Pear Pizza and I liked it

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
PearPizza.jpg

I know, I know. Hear me out. I saw this the other day and it looked interesting so I tried it out. It's good.

https://youtu.be/7a1csxSfnPY?t=3m28s

Ingredients

pizza dough
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
½ white onion, thinly sliced
2 pears, cored and thinly sliced
6 slices prosciutto (optional)
½ cup mozzarella cheese
½ cup blue cheese, crumbled
black pepper
Instructions

Preheat oven to 450°F.
In a frying pan heat half of the olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add onions, reduce heat to medium and cook onion until it begins to brown; 8-10 minutes.
Remove onions from pan and set aside.
Spread dough over a well-greased baking sheet.
Coat dough with remaining olive oil.
Top with mozzarella cheese, pear slices, prosciutto, caramelized onions, blue cheese and freshly cracked black pepper.
Bake at 450°F for between 14 and 17 minutes.
Enjoy!

http://thedomesticgeek.com/archives/16446

The pears lose a lot of their flavour but it's still there and it tastes great combined with the onions, blue cheese and prosciutto. I don't really eat pizza that often but I'm glad I tried this. It's easy and delicious. Give it a try.

#
pineapplepizzaisn'tmyfavouritebutit'sok

If you have other recipes that sound weird but end up tasting delicious feel free to post them.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As others said, this doesn't sound that crazy when you get into it. Pears and cheese pair well together, it sounds like they chose the right ingredients to compliment the dish, and they managed to make it also look appetizing.

I'd definitely try it, and even suspect I'd probably like it.

Enkidu

A lunch restaurant near work is serving a pizza pretty close to that as one of their options tomorrow so maybe I'll check that out.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The pears balance the saltiness of the blue cheese and prosciutto out rather brilliantly. Next time I'll be doing this I'm gonna use feta cheese though, just to see how that would work.
I'm pretty sure pear would go well with goat cheese.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Some apples work great on pizza the same way. Apple, sausage, and blue cheese was one of my favorite pizzas I've ever had.

Onemic

I love pineapple pizza but Id never try this and I know I'd hate it. I can already imagine the texture of biting into big ass chunks of pears in my pizza turning me completely off.

maxcriden

It's good stuff. Prosciutto is also good with arugula on pizza.

Edit: strange that the prosciutto is added before baking. I think it's much better added just as soon as the pizza comes out of the oven, that way it luxuriously melts into the cheese. (I'm assuming it's thinly sliced in this scenario.)

Rektash

People in general need to get over themselves and try new stuff when it comes to food. Pineapple pizza? Pear pizza? All perfectly fine.

Life is so much more exciting when you try new stuff!

You did good OP.

oti

Banned
It's good stuff. Prosciutto is also good with arugula on pizza.

Edit: strange that the prosciutto is added before baking. I think it's much better added just as soon as the pizza comes out of the oven, that way it luxuriously melts into the cheese. (I'm assuming it's thinly sliced in this scenario.)

Prosciutto with arugula is my favourite regular pizza. Great flavours and saltiness.

FStop7

Banned
I wonder if apples would work since they pair well with cheese, too.

I ate a pear pizza and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chapstick

snacknuts

we all knew her
People in general need to get over themselves and try new stuff when it comes to food. Pineapple pizza? Pear pizza? All perfectly fine.

Life is so much more exciting when you try new stuff!

You did good OP.

People talk shit about pineapple pizza because they HAVE tried it and rightly found it to be terrible.

OP, you should try Alton Brown's recipe for date and prosciutto pizza. It's excellent.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I make sandwiches like this all the time.

Pear slices, prosciutto, basil, black pepper, and ricotta mixed with a bit of honey.

maxcriden

Prosciutto with arugula is my favourite regular pizza. Great flavours and saltiness.

It's a delicious flavor profile. I can't recommend strongly enough you add the prosciutto post-bake and then top with arugula tossed with some good quality olive oil.

oti

Banned
I make sandwiches like this all the time.

Pear slices, prosciutto, basil, black pepper, and ricotta mixed with a bit of honey.

Sounds delicious.

It's a delicious flavor profile. I can't recommend strongly enough you add the prosciutto post-bake and then top with arugula tossed with some good quality olive oil.

I've never been to a restaurant that baked the prosciutto with the pizza. It's a more hearty and better taste that way but for this pizza I appreciated the crispness of the prosciutto a great deal, as a contrast to the soft pear.

Sounds better than pineapple pizza. Pears are delicious.

I had a bulgogi pizza at this Korean wing place, and it was awesome. It also had corn on it which I'm surprised isn't used more often on pizza.

maxcriden

I've never been to a restaurant that baked the prosciutto with the pizza. It's a more hearty and better taste that way but for this pizza I appreciated the crispness of the prosciutto a great deal, as a contrast to the soft pear.

Oh, good deal. I didn't think of that juxtaposition. I'll have to try it this way, then, thanks!

This works fine because you can slice pears delicate and thin, unlike pineapple. If it were just big nasty pear chunks it would be gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom