• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I beat Resident Evil 4 for the first time. I still don't like tank controls.

The controls in the Resident Evil 1-4 never bothered me personally, but I can totally understand modern gamers having issues with them. I got used to them quickly, and I absolutely love RE2 and RE4.

I don't really miss tank controls, though. There's no real reason for them to come back.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Now here's some impressive mental gymnastics.

The historical connotations of tank controls are irrelevant to what constitutes as tank controls. RE4 is a game with tank controls, this is objectively beyond debate.
I take tank controls to be a genre distinction from the late 90s, so in that case, historical connotations are everything.

It's like the terms "shoot em up" or "role playing game". You might say, "I'm shooting a whole bunch of people in CoD so it's a shoot em up!" or "I'm building stats and playing a role in Metal Gear Solid V, so it's an RPG", but in terms of genre history, that would be wrong.

You take tank controls to mean any game where you rotate and move forward like a tank. I think it's the description of a type of top-down game control that was popular in the late 90s (typically survival horror).

That's fine that we disagree and I see where you're coming from. I wonder why no one called all early FPS "tank controls" though. Doom had tank controls, but no one called it that in the late 90s even though we had the word (because, imo, it just didn't mean any game that controlled like that back then).

So your car, which I presume has wheels and not treads, can do this:

kfl5lw7rbihhspuzd8mw.thumb.gif.49ea27acf48cc87b9cd4852d96c85433.gif

tribal24

Banned
Yeah re4 does have tank controls, it's the cAmery angle that's different. Would be nice to play the older ones over the shoulder

Resident Evil 4 has incredible controls, but they are different so you have to play it long enough for them to become second nature. It's so easy to shoot a thrown knife out of the air, or shoot a running zombie in the leg to get it to trip and slow down other zombies. I find it really easy to quickly maneuver around and hit whatever I want with pinpoint accuracy. I wish Resident Evil VII controlled half as well as RE4.

Why are they called tank controls and not car controls?

This is quite the crux of the issue. I always thought that it was because the camera is the turret (i.e. where you're looking at), which moves independently of the treads. The metaphor for me is that the camera is the direction the soldier in the turret is looking at, so if the turret is turned say 90 degrees, when the tank moves "forward or backwards", the absolute movement from the gunner's perspective is "left and right", exactly like when your character is turned 90º with respect to the camera (facing "left"), moving forward and backward means moving left and right with respect to the camera.

However some people are positing a completely different alternative which is simply that a tank can turn while stationary, and from that perspective, obviously, "tank controls" become an entirely different concept. To further complicate matters, Resident Evil 1 has "tank controls" under both definition 1 and definition 2, but Resident Evil 4 only has "tank controls" as per definition 2; this is pretty much what all the "how can you think RE4 has / doesn't have tank controls!?" is about.

I'm strongly reminded of this, which I encourage reading:
http://lesswrong.com/lw/np/disputing_definitions/
,,, and thus I propose we taboo the term "tank controls" and find alternate names for both definitions above, in the spirit of "alberzle" and "bargulum". I'm not that creative with names so I propose "turretino" and "spinero".

How do so many people confuse isometric cameras with tank controls?

More shockingly, how do so many people have absolutely no clue what an isometric perspective is?

WTF is going on in this thread? Tank control's defining feature is it has a true "north" alignment which is why regardless of perspective, "up" will always make the character move forward. The left and right inputs will accommodate that perspective - this includes fixed cameras, over-the-shoulder or pulled back systems from Tomb RAIDER to Tenchu.

It is, a direct correlation to the D-pad controls in a 3D environment. It was not until M64, was orientation has shifted to 360' movements that were later adopted by games like Uncharted.

Used to be my favorite game of all time now I can't even play past the mansion. I beat it like 6-8 times back in the day. Ugh I hate the fucking tank controls. I wished they just added regular/modern controls in the PS4 version.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Holy shit those replies on the first page! Of course RE4 has tank controls, like many others have said already, the only difference is the camera.

This is quite the crux of the issue. I always thought that it was because the camera is the turret (i.e. where you're looking at), which moves independently of the treads. The metaphor for me is that the camera is the direction the soldier in the turret is looking at, so if the turret is turned say 90 degrees, when the tank moves "forward or backwards", the absolute movement from the gunner's perspective is "left and right", exactly like when your character is turned 90º with respect to the camera (facing "left"), moving forward and backward means moving left and right with respect to the camera.

Sounds like normal FPS controls to me.

That's fine that we disagree and I see where you're coming from. I wonder why no one called all early FPS "tank controls" though. Doom had tank controls, but no one called it that in the late 90s even though we had the word (because, imo, it just didn't mean any game that controlled like that back then).

Because Doom didn't have tank controls? It's been a loooong time since I've played vanilla Doom, but I'm pretty sure that if you used both a mouse and keyboard it controlled like any other FPS (except you couldn't look up and down).

If you hold W and D in a normal fps your character will go on diagonal forever. If you do that in game that has tank controls you will run in circle.

Right, but the poster sounds like he's describing a control scheme where the "turret" moves independently from the rest of the vehicle. Which would describe games with standard FPS controls.

breadtruck

As I read the first page of this thread, I began to think I was going crazy.

I knew RE4 had tank controls, but everyone was saying otherwise. I began to question life itself...

In fps you can still turn while moving forward using the mouse. In RE 4 you need to stop moving to turn. THATS TANK CONTROL. Leave the strafe stuff out of the conversation it only confuses people more.

That's not true. You can turn while moving. Have you played Resident Evil before? Pressing up+right or up+left will turn you in either direction while still moving. You don't literally need to stop and rotate.

I like tank controls :)

Me too, I don't think there's anything wrong with them. This is coming from someone who played the original Resident Evil games for the first time like a year and a half ago when I was 23. So no nostalgia blinders either.

Tank controls are totally fine. Preferable for a game with fixed camera angles imo.

What's going on on page 1?
A tank doesn't stop controlling like a tank just because you changed the camera view.
Put a camera on top of a tank, still moves like a tank. That's basically what the game designers have done in RE4.

Tomb Raider OG never had tank controls.
lol This is getting better. Have you played any of these games?

What's going on on page 1?
A tank doesn't stop controlling like a tank just because you changed the camera view.
Put a camera on top of a tank, still moves like a tank. That's basically what the game designers have done in RE4.

You've gatta understand that certain control schemes only exist with fixed cameras and in the 90's.

Tank controls are the best.

������

Giant Bomb definition.

The point of reference (character or camera) that defines a tank control.

I understand that but if the camera is trying to follow the character view them it won't fell tank at all unless these few moments in a corner that shows camera issues.

Funny because Giant Bomb also list RE4 and Tomb Raider as examples of games that have tank controls on the exact same page you're quoting.

https://www.giantbomb.com/tank-controls/3015-4647/games/

I didn't know that people weren't sure if RE 4 has tank controls or not. It's pretty clear it has it when you try to walk left or right but to do so you also need to push "forward".

DrBo42

Giant Bomb definition.

The point of reference (character or camera) that defines a tank control.

I understand that but if the camera is trying to follow the character view them it won't fell tank at all unless these few moments in a corner that shows camera issues.

Just accept that you're wrong. It's okay.

������

There's nothing inherently wrong with tank controls and in the case of RE they're incredibly precise. Now take Grim Fandango for example where it becomes hard to navigate the 3D backgrounds because there's some awful course correction going on, but that's entirely an issue of it's implementation and not the control scheme overall.

I thought I entered bizarro world when I read multiple first posts saying it doesn't have tank controls.

Same controls as older games, just with a different camera. It doesn't have any more extra maneuvers compared to older RE. You can't strafe, you have to turn in the direction you want, and you had quick turn which was introduced in RE2 (or 3?).

RE5 added strafing.

It blows my mind that so many people on GAF didn't realize the game had tank controls. What the hell? Tank control means your character faces a direction and have input to move forward/backward and TURN left/right. There's no "turn" input in games like Uncharted; tilt the stick where you want to go.

Ascheroth

I played RE4 earlier this year for the first time as my first RE game, and liked it a ton, tank controls included.
They only work because the entire game is built around them though.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The movement inputs are identical to classic RE but somehow the controls are different?Tank CONTROLS. Not perspective, not camera, controls. The character controls like a tank. Tank controls.

This is one of those things that I never thought would be even debated as it's so bloody obvious.
I thought I entered bizarro world when I read multiple first posts saying it doesn't have tank controls.

Same controls as older games, just with a different camera. It doesn't have any more extra maneuvers compared to older RE. You can't strafe, you have to turn in the direction you want, and you had quick turn which was introduced in RE2 (or 3?).

RE5 added strafing.

It blows my mind that so many people on GAF didn't realize the game had tank controls. What the hell? Tank control means your character faces a direction and have input to move forward/backward and TURN left/right. There's no "turn" input in games like Uncharted; tilt the stick where you want to go.
Bizarre world was exactly what I thought too, and the posts kept coming. It's ridiculous.

Can you sidestep while moving forward? Can you run in a circle? In Resident Evil 6, pressing "S" makes your sexy protagonist move towards the camera. So you can press A and S, and they will run diagonally relative to the camera. You press SD, and they immediately reverse direction and run diagonally the other way. You can't do this with tank controls.

Can you sidestep while moving forward? Can you run in a circle? In Resident Evil 6, pressing "S" makes your sexy protagonist move towards the camera. So you can press A and S, and they will run diagonally relative to the camera. You press SD, and they immediately reverse direction and run diagonally the other way. You can't do this with tank controls.

I agree with the overall point you're making but you can run in a circle in every game with tank controls I've ever played. Also you can side-step while moving forward in Silent Hill.

Just being pedantic, though, since there seem to be a lot of misconceptions with this control scheme. I agree with your point and the rest of what you've said.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Goddamn, Raptomex. You've unintentionally exposed an entire subset of misguided souls who never even realized RE4 had the same tank controls as the classic games.

This bizarre pocket reality was existing beside us the whole time, and we were none the wiser.

DocSeuss

I think they're garbage controls. I don't think "they were designed for this game" makes them good controls. I need to be able to sidestep. Just like I do in real life.

Because Doom didn't have tank controls? It's been a loooong time since I've played vanilla Doom, but I'm pretty sure that if you used both a mouse and keyboard it controlled like any other FPS (except you couldn't look up and down).

Right, but the poster sounds like he's describing a control scheme where the "turret" moves independently from the rest of the vehicle. Which would describe games with standard FPS controls.

Standard FPS controls would mean that holding W always moves you in one direction, while moving the mouse only turns where you look. So you could press W and move north, but you could face south.

Like how a tank works. FPS controls let you steer with the mouse. It's different.

I agree with the overall point you're making but you can run in a circle in every game with tank controls I've ever played.
There are circles and there I circles, I suppose I should say. A car can drive in circles, but it can't exactly turn in a circle almost on a dime, unless it's doing some fancy burnouts. Try running around a small object like a lamp post. It can't be done. A human can do this. You can do this in something like RE2 N64 or REMAKE HD.

Jinroh

Something most people probably don't know:

In the original japanese release on gamecube the part where you play as Ashley features fixed camera angles. Thus this parts plays exactly like a classic resident evil.

It was changed for the western release of the game. I have no idea why.

Greddleok

I still haven't finished the game. I don't know why but I always end up quitting at some point. Probably because I find it incredibly stressful.

There are circles and there I circles, I suppose I should say. A car can drive in circles, but it can't exactly turn in a circle almost on a dime, unless it's doing some fancy burnouts. Try running around a small object like a lamp post. It can't be done. A human can do this. You can do this in something like RE2 N64 or REMAKE HD.

Your turning radius in original REmake is actually super small so you definitely could run around a lamp post. Same for other games like Parasite Eve 2 as well. Shit, I've even zig-zagged through trees in Silent Hill while avoiding enemies.

Either way I was merely saying you can definitely run in a circle. If you were talking about precision than that's something else entirely and varies from game to game.

Something most people probably don't know:

In the original japanese release on gamecube the part where you play as Ashley features fixed camera angles. Thus this parts plays exactly like a classic resident evil.

It was changed for the western release of the game. I have no idea why.

Because back then people in the west were more critical of fixed camera and tank controls in general, I think.

See also, in the japanese version of RE5, Type D were the default controls (The ones that are exactly like RE4.) while the western version defaulted to the "modern" scheme with half-assed, useless strafing and right-stick aiming.

Btw, it's not just the original japanese Gamecube release. *All* japanese Versions of RE4 use classic camera angles for Ashley's part, even the most current PS4 port.

Top Bottom