• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I lost 100 pounds using the Wii-Fit.

I found Wii Fit to be a useful way of keeping track of my weight when I was trying to lose some, but I felt like the aerobic exercises were not enough to get me in that calorie-burning zone. I used to do 30 minutes of aerobic Wii Fit exercises, and then go for a 30 minute run. Combined with using the MyFitnessPal app to track calorie intake (although I wasn't all that precise about this) once I started to get used to roughly how much to eat each day, it became very effective. I was about 30lbs over my 'ideal' weight, and I lost that in about 6 months.

Could I have done it just cutting back on snacks and doing my runs? Sure, but Wii Fit and MyFitnessPal were great motivators. Just seeing that graph drop... very satisfying.

Gong

Congratulations OP, delighted for you :) It's great to read your story and how you found a unique way into changing things for yourself, that would've taken considerable determination which is to be applauded. Thanks for sharing your success with us all, a proper feel good story which has brightened my day no end.

mcmmaster

Congrats OP and thanks for the inspiration dude, i'm 22 and currently around 252 pounds and have been trying to get up every morning to do a bike and cardio workout for a while now but I just can't get into it... it's true that it is a mental thing that causes me problems with losing weight.

But I can tell you i'm inspired to lose weight now after reading your story, definitely going to start a slow routine out and then crank it up as I go on, will also put up some notes above my computer screen to remind me and keep me going through those tough situations... may even pick me up the Wii U fit coming out later this year, oh and it was confirmed that you can use the current Wii fit board with the Wii U version so you don't have to worry about buying another board.

Just a tip for anyone trying to lose weight, Diets are only a small part of the equation. All dieting is really supposed to do is to stop you building up body fat while you exercise to get rid of what you have, it's not the main solution. Make sure you have an exercise routine and stick to it (and if you are male make sure to include weights, not just cardio). If all you do is diet you are going to feel like you are starving most of the time and be miserable, if you are exercising you can eat what you need and not feel hungry but still loose weight and get fit.

No, it's more like exercise 70%, Diet 30%. As long as you eat sensibly you don't even really need to diet.

diet is pivotal if you wanna lose weight in a healthy way..and its not diet..its eating habits.because if you only diet you will gain all the weight on 2 or 3 years

Subaru

Congratz mate! You inspired me to get a Wii Fit and try it too! I've read tons of people saiyng why wii fit worked for them and I liked the results!

I'm having a battle with my weight for about 1 year now... I've started a really tough Diet (Dukan) and I've lost 40kg (88 pounds), but then I gained 20 kg (44 pounds) back =/
Yesterday I've started dieting again, it works for me, but I really need to make some exercise... and now I'm so lazy to do it, last year I was every day at the gym... =(

So, who know if the combo Wii Fit + Just Dance can help me get fit? ;-)

test_account

XP-39C²
Great to see that you found a system (excerise, changing eating habits and WiiFit all combined if i understood it correctly?) that worked for you :) Congrats! :)

StayDead

Seriously amazingly well done OP. The way you lost it to me isn't all that important but the fact you did it is really great. I wish you many happy/healthier new years to come and am glad you found a weightloss thing that actually helped you <3

spekkeh

Banned
diet is pivotal if you wanna lose weight in a healthy way..and its not diet..its eating habits.because if you only diet you will gain all the weight on 2 or 3 years

Yeah, if you weigh 300 pounds, then you should be able to lose a 100 pounds easily just by eating healthy. The benefit of Wii Fit here could well be more that you're tracking your weight and getting visual confirmation of your eating habits than actual exercise.
Below 200 pounds is when exercising becomes important.

fred

Well done mate, congratulations!

Wii Fit is fantastic, I haven't given it a go for a while and have put some weight back on so please keep it up and don't stop.

Now you have a Balance Board I highly recommend you get Shawn White's Snowboarding, it's brilliant.

Sami+

Congrats, man!

I'm in pretty decent shape myself; roughly 150 pounds at 5'11, 17 years old. I've never really been "fit" though, and I'm trying to work on that. My main goal is just to get toned, and I suck ass at running, so I know how you feel. Running on the treadmill at the gym and stumbling off sweating and gasping for breath is fucking hard, but it feels so damn satisfying knowing that I really pushed myself.

Best of luck in the future, bro. c:

Congrats OP!

I lost about 25 myself a few years ago with Wii Fit. It was really just me eating better and going for a little run two or three times a week in the morning, but using the balance board every day to weigh myself was a huge motivation to keep after it. Seeing that graph dwindling down after 6 months was very satisfying.

spekkeh

Banned
Congrats, man!

I'm in pretty decent shape myself; roughly 150 pounds at 5'11, 17 years old. I've never really been "fit" though, and I'm trying to work on that. My main goal is just to get toned, and I suck ass at running, so I know how you feel. Running on the treadmill at the gym and stumbling off sweating and gasping for breath is fucking hard, but it feels so damn satisfying knowing that I really pushed myself.

Best of luck in the future, bro. c:

Seems you need to lift bro, not run on a treadmill.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Awesome job, op. A big part of my weight loss has been gamifying it via stat tracking. I'd never really considered Wii fit for that but now I'm thinking I may pick up Wii Fit U

Absolutely this. Lost 180 pounds this past year and a half, about 80 percent of which was from monitoring my intake meticulously with My Fitness Pal.

I don't care how much you exercise, you can blow it all to hell in the blink of an eye if you don't mind your intake. Both how many calories you're eating and where those calories come from are so important.

sgt jumpy

Banned
That's great! Wii fit is pretty nifty, especially the yoga poses and how it corrects your balance and gives you a breathing rhythm. Congratulations in becoming healthy.

Tash

Just a tip for anyone trying to lose weight, Diets are only a small part of the equation. All dieting is really supposed to do is to stop you building up body fat while you exercise to get rid of what you have, it's not the main solution. Make sure you have an exercise routine and stick to it (and if you are male make sure to include weights, not just cardio). If all you do is diet you are going to feel like you are starving most of the time and be miserable, if you are exercising you can eat what you need and not feel hungry but still loose weight and get fit.

No, it's more like exercise 70%, Diet 30%. As long as you eat sensibly you don't even really need to diet.

Don't post completely wrong stuff like this. Seriously -.-

I went through a brief phase with Wii Fit just before I moved house and I lost about 2-3lbs a week on it doing the hoola hoop and jogging stuff. I'm finally getting back to it and it's actually quite a work out if you have the space to do it. Though the WF Board is just really a platform to make sure you're doing stuff, I wouldn't take a lot of the balancing stuff too seriously.

The yoga stuff is pretty good for beginners (like me) as well. It's a gentler introduction for those who don't do any exercise at all and find the initial start quite daunting. A lot of my friends are on a total health kick but I'm too embarrassed to go jogging outside, the gym is too expensive, and extreme fitness DVDs are scary... so this is kind of the next best thing.

Well done though OP. That's an awesome amount of weight to lose in a year :D

Tash

pretty sure this is urban legend BS.

It's not but it's also not as extreme as some people made it out to be.
Thanks to evolution your body will start holding on to fat resources if you don't eat enough. It just means that fat burning slows down considerably or what some people call "plateau-ing". I went through this myself and had to actually increase caloric intake to push through.

In regards to working out: In the end it doesn't matter what you do to move, as long as you have fun doing it and do something and stay with it :)

TC not even joking, those are some pretty hot manboobs in that before video.

Just wanted to point out that diet matters a LOT more than exercise for weight loss. I really doubt Wii Fit had much to do with this, other than inspiring TC to take his health seriously.

JakeD

great work! i was about 50 pounds overweight when i got wii fit. i used it for months along with dieting and dropped all 50. it gave me the confidence to start p90x, which i did a few times over. i now go to a crossfit gym 6 days a week and keep up with the owner/trainer (i even beat him at a few things). the wii fit workouts aren't intense, but the daily aspect of it and the fact that it makes you accountable with weigh-ins is all you need when starting out

Doran902

people saying diet > exercise and exercise > diet

you CAN lose weight with just dieting but why not just do both like TS did?

Congrats, thats a great achievement and must feel amazing.

Tash

TC not even joking, those are some pretty hot manboobs in that before video.

Just wanted to point out that diet matters a LOT more than exercise for weight loss. I really doubt Wii Fit had much to do with this, other than inspiring TC to take his health seriously.

It made him move and burn calories. So yeah, it had a lot to do with the change. Obviously it was what worked for him to keep him motivated and moving. Not to mention it's a good start for someone who does not feel comfortable to start with weights or more hardcore workout programs.

Celegus

Nice! It's great to see people actually use the thing the way it was meant to, unlike some people I know that bought it as their "motivator" and then proceeded to never even use it.

I can't really relate with being overweight, but I'm sure it's a great feeling to be almost 100lb lighter. Definitely not something to be embarassed about!

It actually works?

Damn...I'm about 215 now and would like to lose about 30 lbs....I might just pick one up used with Fit and give it a shot...

eXistor

I know this is a thread which I will probably get laughed at, or called names.

What? No way man, GAF is pretty damn tolerant in my experience. Anyway, good for you, I hope you feel better as a result. I can imagine your life can only take a turn for the better now.

Bookman

well done, I myself have thought about someday start using my Kinnect fit (or whatever it is called). Also nice with normal comment below, is the internet is nice now?

Amazing job. Well done.

Now, I need to get motivated to get my butt off the couch! My problem is not so much weight, just overall health. This story will help.

Shane

Congratulations. Good health equals an improved mental state. It can be easy to fall back into bad habits so keep it up. If you want a decent one hour exercise - non-impact - you should check out Callanetics. It is very '80s but don't let that put you off. Helps restore posture which is important if you game a lot. Proper press-ups are great too; few apps knocking about that will build you to reps of 100.

scitek

I lost about 100 lbs. a couple of years ago, and I just ran my first 5k last weekend. Finished in 27 min. Feels good. Congrats, OP.

Top Bottom