• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the Atari Jaguar could easily be a success

I'd be happy to oblige you if I weren't on mobile. I don't feel like retyping the bulk of your list.

But if those are your ideas of games "worth looking at", then there isn't a single bad game on Saturn and PlayStation.

"Japan was not needed. The 3do sold millions despite it's mistakes."

By the time Saturn and PlayStation were launching 3DO was at 700,000 units. How it reached "millions", I'd like to hear. Unless Oprah Winfrey gave them all out during an episode to her viewers.

There are much worse games on those two than what you in your opinion consider "bad or boring" on the system. Trust me.

Some f those games are mixed but the vast majority of them are considered good games and up.

Krejlooc

Banned
Still waiting for that proof that the 68k didn't bottleneck Jaguar graphics or will you evade again?

You mean beyond the source code to the game you said couldn't run on the processor, the jaguar SDk documents that have been posted, interviews from jeff minter, etc? More proof than that? To counter the claim you're making without any proof on your side what so ever? The claims coming from the guy who, 2 days ago, didn't even know the name of the CPU he was arguing about?

lol

As an owner of the Jaguar then, I wish it was a success. I remember my friend telling me Mortal Kombat 3 was coming soon. I was hyped! It didn't happen. :(

You mean beyond the source code to the game you said couldn't run on the processor, the jaguar SDk documents that have been posted, interviews from jeff minter, etc? More proof than that? To counter the claim you're making without any proof on your side what so ever? The claims coming from the guy who, 2 days ago, didn't even know the name of the CPU he was arguing about?

lol

I did actually and corrected it on the same page before you posted.

Also you didn't prove the 68k didn't actually hurt the Jaguars graphics, you posted a website and I posted another thread on that same website you have yet to rebuke.

How about you stop evading and answer back properly instead of going in circles trying to change subjects like a 3 year old child?

Anybody looking back will literally see you running away with your tail in between your legs and flipping subject and indirect personal attacks instead of actually showing the 68k didin't hurt the jaguars graphical ability.

You also didn't disprove my other point that you can't have the 68k run in parallel with the blitter or both RISCs.

You also said that the 68k didn't do graphics which contradicts you first sentence.

I mean you are all over the place. WHat's hilarious is that on any search engine typing in 68k and jaguar issues, or "turn off" gives you tons of threads across the web saying the 68k hurts the Jaguar kid.

I like I have no proof when I posted prrof on the very website you used to try to counter my claim. But now that proof doesn't exist. Lol.

Krejlooc

Banned
As an owner of the Jaguar then, I wish it was a success. I remember my friend telling me Mortal Kombat 3 was coming soon. I was hyped! It didn't happen. :(

MK3 indeed was in development for both the Jaguar and 3DO. People have been searching for in-development protos of the Jag MK3 for a long time with no success. However, not that long ago, a shitload of 3DO MK3 assets were found.

Krejlooc

Banned
I did actually and corrected it on the same page before you posted.

Also you didn't prove the 68k didn't actually hurt the Jaguars graphics, you posted a website and I posted another thread on that same website you have yet to rebuke.

How about you stop evading and answer back properly isntead of going in cricles trying to change subjects like a 3 year old child?

the argument is over, dude. Absolutely nobody in this thread believes anything you're saying. You're wasting your time with your quad-quotes, you haven't swayed anybody in this topic.

the argument is over, dude. Absolutely nobody in this thread believes anything you're saying. You're wasting your time with your quad-quotes, you haven't swayed anybody in this topic.

Sorry idiot, I posted proof using the same website you did, you don't get to pretend that it doesn't exist because you are losing an argument. The argument is not over you freaking lost you literally have no addressed that link and decided to act like a baby instead circling around and pretending that proof isn't there and you're to scared to address it.

MK3 indeed was in development for both the Jaguar and 3DO. People have been searching for in-development protos of the Jag MK3 for a long time with no success. However, not that long ago, a shitload of 3DO MK3 assets were found.
Wow, I didn't know! I would love to see how it worked on the Jaguar. Ps1 version was the best from what I remembered, but the loading sucked.

Krejlooc

Banned
Wow, I didn't know! I would love to see how it worked on the Jaguar. Ps1 version was the best from what I remembered, but the loading sucked.

well, unfortunately, nothing has ever been recovered of the MK3 port. The 3DO version was actually UMK3, actually. Before the assets leaked, all that existed was a couple of screenshots from EGM or Gamepro that showed it running. It was interesting because it used the HUD from the SNES version of MK3. Let me see if I can scrounge up some screenshots or a link to the assets.

Presumably, the MK3 port for the jaguar would have used the Jaguar Pro controller.

It's a bummer, though, because the 3DO version of UMK3 found isn't the source or playable.

EDIT: I am mistaken - the leak indeed included part of the source, but it's still not playable:

HafxXQH.jpg

No pics of the game running, though. I'll look through some of my old mags tonight and see if I can grab a screenshot of the game. As I said, it had the SNES hud, so names under the life bar and small yellow dots for victory symbols instead of small dragon icons.

For those that don't use scum tactics in civil discussions, observe

http://www.yaronet.com/topics/17703-john-carmack-parle-de-la-la-jag-2000

Quote from John Carmack:

The little risc engined were decent processors. I was surprised that they didn't use off the shelf
designs, but they basically worked ok. They had some design hazards (write after write) that didn't get
fixed, but the only thing truly wrong with them was that they had scratchpad memory instead of
caches, and couldn't execute code from main memory. I had to chunk the DOOM renderer into nine
sequentially loaded overlays to get it working (with hindsight, I would have done it differently in about
three...).

The 68k was slow. This was the primary problem of the system. You options were either taking it
easy, running everything on the 68k, and going slow, or sweating over lots of overlayed parallel asm
chunks to make something go fast on the risc processors.

That is why playstation kicked so much ass for development -- it was programmed like a single serial
processor with a single fast accelerator.

If the jaguar had dumped the 68k and offered a dynamic cache on the risc processors and had a tiny
bit of buffering on the blitter, it could have put up a reasonable fight against sony.

Wow that took 10 seconds on favorite search engine?

Krejlooc

Banned
John Camrack's opinion of the M68k is well documented, and entirely wrong. remember when he claimed the Amiga couldn't run doom because of the m68k?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbBSahI6W9c

Also, I'm chuckling at only one guy in this topic using terms like "idiot," "scum," "baby," etc who thinks he's engaging in civil conversation.

dcx4610

I bought the Jaguar when it was new and was excited for it. I thought Atari had a chance since it was 64-bit (we didn't know any better) and bits were all people cared about back then.

Doom, Wolf 3D, AVP and Tempest were all awesome. The hardware was pretty capable, they just lacked support.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Sorry idiot, I posted proof using the same website you did, you don't get to pretend that it doesn't exist because you are losing an argument. The argument is not over you freaking lost you literally have no addressed that link and decided to act like a baby instead circling around and pretending that proof isn't there and you're to scared to address it.

You clearly have a very poor grasp of game development. Much more knowledgeable people have provided a lot more substantiated evidence against the idea you have in your head, which you have backed with very few links. Furthermore, they have done so in a much more articulated and mature manner than you have.

Same thing happened when you paraded the game lineup, only to be countered by a member who had actually played many of those games.

To me it looks you are just spamming a ton of posts about your opinions without actually knowing what you are talking about, and then when challenged by more knowledgeable people, you insult posters by calling them idiots and babies... but maybe that's just me.

nkarafo

John Camrack's opinion of the M68k is well documented, and entirely wrong. remember when he claimed the Amiga couldn't run doom because of the m68k?

Also, I'm chuckling at only one guy in this topic using terms like "idiot," "scum," "baby," etc who thinks he's engaging in civil conversation.
Wait, what kind of an Amiga is this?

I would guess that only the A4000 would have such performance with Doom.

2 million is millions it's not a paralleled universe. That's impressive given all it's mistakes and the fact it was trying to be a pure game consoles the first couple years.

Also that's nice you think games like Ace combat and such were very big (they weren't that bg) but what I said was that in Europe and NA, the best selling games outside Nintendo consoles, usually had a bigger pool of western games.

Crash, Spyro, Tony Hawk, Tombraider, Frogger, Rayman, Oddworld, Croc, Driver, Spider-man, Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal, MOH, NFS, Disney, Jet Moto, GTA, etc.

Also Metal Gear, Tekken 3, GT did not release in 1997.

But point is, uh just as many best selling games. It seems clear imo at least for the west, japanese games influence on sales the PSX's popularity is hyperbolic, granted they did have a large effect just nowhere close as many keep implying.

I mean WW it's more even, but that's because there's a whole country where a lot of the western games didn't sell too well in. Japan. If you look at western sales of games alone it's crustal clear.

Dude you actually listed Frogger as a game having a bigger influence on PS1 sales than most Japanese games for the system? Lol.

And Disney? Disney what? A lot of those other games you mention were kind of low-key compared to bigger Japanese releases like RE1, 2, Toshinden, Ridge Racer/Rage Racer, etc.

Krejlooc

Banned
Wait, what kind of an Amiga is this?

I would guess that only the A4000 would have such performance with Doom.

That particular video is running in WinUAE, but I've run ADoom on my Amiga 1200 that has an 030 @ 50 mhz and 8 mb ram EDIT: At about 20 FPS.

I've seen A4000s with blizzard IV accelerators inside running Quake, even. The point is that Carmack was dead wrong about the M68K. He had something against the CPU back in the day (and was very taken by RISC, which he predicted would become the dominant CPU model).

Hey another link not far from that one:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/141444-jaguar-my-least-favorite-atari-console/page-3

The 68k was the main reason why so many Jag games looked like thier 16
bit counter parts...that was also due to the fact that they were almost
straight ports. No updates to color depth or such. This was due to the
tools lacking a useful RISC compiler and Atari's own ignorance of not
knowing you can indeed run GPU RISC code reliably from main RAM.

Most developers did not want to bother to write 100% RISC assembler
on the Jag and went the 68k port route. This essentially reduced the
Jaguar to 1/8 its ability.

Use of the blitter OPL and small RISC code only cause terrible bus
contentions with the 68k. The 68k has priority when it is running over
the bus. That means all other processors have to wait until the 68k
decides it wants to release it. So even those all the other processors
are much more powerful and utilize the bus to its fullest, they were
stymied by the 68k always choking the system.

Oh look another one:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?26606-Atari-Jaguar-N64-Ports

According to KoolKitty89 it was actually a very cheap processor. The original setup used the 68K for the main CPU and TOM for rendering graphics, Jerry was for sound. There was some issue with the 68K and TOM not being able to access Main RAM at the same time, so TOM was limited to scratch pad memory (doesn't retain data) for rendering. Once the Atari dev community found a workaround for that, which I think effectively keeps the 68K off entirely, they were able to use TOM as the main CPU and renderer.

oh look another one!:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?15754-Making-the-Jag-more-powerful

And they don't just stop the 68k to let the graphics chips work... doing that alone is critical for average Jag games (you DO NOT want to interleave accesses with the 68k -at least in the single bank implementation they used- as it forces page breaks and kills bandwidth for the graphics chips -ie instead of 75 ns in page mode they get knocked down to 175 ns random accesses -texture mapping is the only thing that's stuck with 175 ns accesses and 16-bit at that as there's no word buffer let alone the line buffers other blitter/OP functions have), but the real trick is to not use the 68k at all.
Programmers discovered that the GPU was flexible enough to act as the CPU in the system alone. (some bugs make it tough and it really isn't a great CPU, but compared to the 68k it's a lot faster... it's a DSP-like chip aimed most prominently at transform and lighting -what the manual focuses on demonstrating its use with- but was programmable more like a CPU and could be forced into that role in a pinch -a modified derivative with a cache and bug fixes was planned as the CPU of the Jag 2 due to the fact Atari owned the IP and could use it more cheaply than off the shelf RISC CPUs, but that never got completed)

I think Jag homebrew programmers mentioned that the 68k is most useful for interrupts and a handful of really tight loops compared to the GPU, so it could be selectively used for that, otherwise it's onl good due to ease of programming. (at the expense of heavy hurt on the system)

Those last two are from a Sega site which you are probably familiar with.

I mean you can't really use that backtracking Carmack excuse when pretty much everyone is saying the 68k is a bottleneck.

Dude you actually listed Frogger as a game having a bigger influence on PS1 sales than most Japanese games for the system? Lol.

And Disney? Disney what? A lot of those other games you mention were kind of low-key compared to bigger Japanese releases like RE1, 2, Toshinden, Ridge Racer/Rage Racer, etc.

Don't laugh - that one Frogger remake sold more copies on PS1 than all the Ridge Racers combined :(

164 games on mobygames

You should send them a mail

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/3do/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3do/918744-3do/faqs/30744
A list I found in literally 5 seconds, and it has over 200, and it's still missing games, and it doesn't include imports, half the people here don't seem to try at all.

Edit: Here's a close to complete list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tPPrDrshfrQlAPH41SaY36d02er2-JQobmJyVVZTkUY/edit

Edit 2: Here's one with over 400 games: https://nixzero.wordpress.com/236-2/

Wow that took like 1 minute.

Krejlooc

Banned
http://www.gamefaqs.com/3do/918744-3do/faqs/30744
A list I found in literally 5 seconds, and it has over 200, and it's still missing games, and it doesn't include imports, half the people here don't seem to try at all.

That list includes games that never were released, like "Clayfighter II" and "Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp"

However, it DOES include unofficially released prototypes (Powerslide and Icebreaker 2, for example). It DOES contain magazine coverdiscs and demos, however.

You should probably take more than 1 minute to review the "evidence" you're presenting.

You don't know how well the DIsney Games and frogger sold in the west don't you?

The fact you even compared Toshiden and Ridge Race to them is extremely odd.

Also not he other games i mentioned sold very well int he west and were more instrumental to a PSX purchase. You are using Japanese sales in japan to artificially inflate a lot of the games you mentioned before sales success in the west, which doesn't work, and you got the years wrong.

There was a thread before I joined by a guy named Zhuge I believe, he listed all the best selling NA games for PS1 and PS2, and others in the thread did Genesis and Xbox, and N64. Would be amazing to find that thread again.

wazoo

We're not talking the A500 at all, we're talking the A1200.

A1200 was not with a m68k,more a 68020 ?

this is what I said.

And this one was with some accelerator card, no ?

Not very familiar with the Amiga family customization, but I think the bus could be boosted big time.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Thanks for the link, I'm interested to see what these few hundred games Moby Games missed are...

3DO Action Pak (AD&D Slayer, Dragon's Lair, Soccer Kid, Shanghai Triple Threat)
3DO Demo Disc Program - 3DO Storage Manager
3DO Demo Disc Program - Burning Soldier
3DO Demo Disc Program - Club 3DO - Station Invasion
3DO Demo Disc Program - Escape From Monster Manor
3DO Demo Disc Program - FIFA International Soccer
3DO Demo Disc Program - Gridders
3DO Demo Disc Program - Guardian War
3DO Demo Disc Program - John Madden Football
3DO Demo Disc Program - Jurassic Park Interactive
3DO Demo Disc Program - Road Rash
3DO Demo Disc Program - Shock Wave
3DO Demo Disc Program - Soccer Kid
3DO Demo Disc Program - Star Control II
3DO Demo Disc Program - Super Wing Commander
3DO Demo Disc Program - Total Eclipse
3DO Demo Disc Program - Twisted: The Game Show
3DO Demo Disc Program - Way of the Warrior
3DO Game Guru
3DO Games: Decathlon
3DO Interactive Sampler #1
3DO Interactive Sampler #2
3DO Interactive Sampler #3
3DO Interactive Sampler #4
3DO Magazine 01 (3DO Interactive Sampler)
3DO Magazine 02 (Super Street Fighter II Turbo demo)
3DO Magazine 03 (Theme Park demo)
3DO Magazine 04 (Syndicate demo)
3DO Magazine 05 (Space Ace demo)
3DO Magazine 06 (Captain Quazar & BattleSport demo)
3DO Magazine 07 (Star Fighter demo)
3DO Magazine 08 (Phoenix 3 demo)
3DO Magazine 09 (Multiple Game demos)
3DO Magazine 10 (Super Street Fighter II Turbo demo)
3DO Magazine 11 (Theme Park demo)
3DO Magazine 12 (Syndicate demo)
3DO Magazine 13 (Olympic Summer Games demo)
3DO Maniac Pack (Alone in the Dark, Way of the Warrior, Out of This World, Battle Chess)
3DO Multi Game Sampler Number 3, The Happy Birthday 3DO!

3DO Storage Manager 2.1 (for use with FZ-EM256)

Live! 3DO Magazine CD-ROM #01
Live! 3DO Magazine CD-ROM #02
Live! 3DO Magazine CD-ROM #03
Live! 3DO Magazine CD-ROM #04
Live! 3DO Magazine CD-ROM #05
Live! 3DO Magazine CD-ROM #06
Live! 3DO Magazine CD-ROM #07
Live! 3DO Magazine CD-ROM #08
Live! 3DO Magazine CD-ROM #09
Live! 3DO Magazine CD-ROM #10
Live! 3DO Magazine CD-ROM #11

Panasonic REAL 3DO - (Demo)nstration CD
Panasonic REAL 3DO - Sampler CD (AZ)
Panasonic REAL 3DO - Sampler CD (BZ)
Panasonic REAL 3DO - Sampler CD (JP)
Panasonic REAL 3DO - Sampler CD (PAL)
Panasonic Special CD-ROM (JP)

Total Eclipse
Total Eclipse (Demo)
Total Eclipse (Demo) (White Cover)

1381704151225.jpg

Would you think it might be time to stop arguing about things you clearly know nothing about?

That list includes games that never were released, like "Clayfighter II" and "Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp"

You should probably take more than 1 minute to review the "evidence" you're presenting.

Wow that's like 3 games in a list of over 416, so exactly what did you proive? Nothing? My point still stands even without those.

You got to be the biggest baby I have ever seen you lost. Or do we need to count together so you can learn how numbers work?

Krejlooc

Banned
A1200 was not with a m68k,more a 68020 ?

this is what I said.

And this one was with some accelerator card, no ?

Not very familiar with the Amiga family customization, but I think the bus could be boosted big time.

m68k is a family of processors. There is no single "m68k" processor, just like how there is no single "x86" processor. m68k refers to the architecture and instruction set, and there are many different models.

My A1200 doesn't have an accelerator card in it, no. It has a 030 model of m68k however.

the main difference between the A500 and the A1200 isn't the CPU, it's that the A1200 has the AGA chipset for graphics (compared to OCS and ECS chipsets in the A500).

Wow that's like 3 games in a list of over 416, so exactly what did you proive? Nothing? My point still stands even without those.

You got to be the biggest baby I have ever seen you lost. Or do we need to count together so you can learn how numbers work?

actually, that's two games I listed, not 3. I think, yes, we do need to count together so someone can learn how numbers work.

wazoo

I dislike when a fanboy kill the image I have from a old console.

I had fun with the 3DO for approx a year.

Then I bought a console with much better games. I bought a SNES with Chrono Trigger and FFVI.

Thanks for the link, I'm interested to see what these few hundred games Moby Games missed are...

1381704151225.jpg

Would you think it might be time to stop arguing about things you clearly know nothing about?

A pathetic scum tactic, nitpicking like 12 demos and rpetending their not games but I bet you won't have any issues with this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/category/999-all?page=35

PSX list:

Playstation Underground Vol. 1 Issue 1
Playstation Underground Vol. 1 Issue 2
Playstation Underground Vol. 1 Issue 3
Playstation Underground Vol. 1 Issue 4
Playstation Underground Vol. 2 Issue 1
Playstation Underground Vol. 2 Issue 2
Playstation Underground Vol. 2 Issue 3
Playstation Underground Vol. 2 Issue 4
Playstation Underground Vol. 3 Issue 1
Playstation Underground Vol. 3 Issue 2
Playstation Underground Vol. 3 Issue 3
Playstation Underground Vol. 3 Issue 4
Playstation Underground Vol. 4 Issue 1
Playstation Underground Vol. 4 Issue 2

I mean really. Hypocrites.

m68k is a family of processors. There is no single "m68k" processor, just like how there is no single "x86" processor. m68k refers to the architecture and instruction set, and there are many different models.

My A1200 doesn't have an accelerator card in it, no. It has a 030 model of m68k however.

the main difference between the A500 and the A1200 isn't the CPU, it's that the A1200 has the AGA chipset for graphics (compared to OCS and ECS chipsets in the A500).

actually, that's two games I listed, not 3. I think, yes, we do need to count together so someone can learn how numbers work.

Yes because apparently you belive that 416-2= less than 400.

Or you can admit I was right and there are over 400 games?

I stopped at this.

"It DOES contain magazine coverdiscs and demos, however."

Yes I guess we can take those small few away fromt he 416 and still have over 400 games.

I mean all you guys have to do is see that there are at least 400 releases, which was my claim. And it's 100% correct. In fact, even more than 400.

Also Demos are included in Playstation lists and PSX has way more demos than the 3DO does. So acting like Demos aren't releases is pure nonsense.

Celine

You can't backtrack on japanese made games to games published by japanese companies that's not how it works.

Also you do realize 2 million is millions right?
There is no reason to backtrack.
Who fund a project and decide what is made and for what platform is the publisher, not the developer.

To my best knowledge there is no reliable data (that is shipment data by the manufacturers) that confirm 3DO had hit 2 millions.
Sanyo and Panasonic 3DO LTD is about 1.37 million units.
Goldstar 3DO LTD is unknown.

Frogger but also Namco Museum volumes were big sellers in US for PS1 (but also N64).
There was already a sort of retro boom for the arcade golden age at a cheap price which I think should have been what Atari Corp. should have done instead of going with the Jaguar.

Krejlooc

Banned
Thanks. I was thinking Carmack was only talking about the 68000 in the A500.

His critique is actually of the entire family, because of the speed of certain math op codes.

All the m68k ports of doom use various tricks to get it running on the processor, from things like fast lookup tables to brute force CPU speed (i.e. a 50 mhz 030).

Chittagong

Gold Member
A pathetic scum tactic, nitpicking like 12 demos and rpetending their not games but I bet you won't have any issues with this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/category/999-all?page=35

PSX list:
I mean really. Hypocrites.

First of all, I posted 60 examples from your list, not 12, they were my quick picks, there is a lot more garbage, duplicates and demos on the list.

Secondly, you were arguing that 3D0 had 400 games, what has PlayStation library have to do with anything?

My point was to demonstrate that you are posting stuff you don't know anything about, and backing it with links you haven't even read/understood yourself, which invalidate your claim.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Bought one 10 years back to add to my retro collection, played it once I think then sold it on shortly after.

Terrible controller.

First of all, I posted 60 examples from your list, not 12, they were my quick picks, there is a lot more garbage, duplicates and demos on the list.

Secondly, you were arguing that 3D0 had 400 games, what has PlayStation library have to do with anything?

My point was to demonstrate that you are posting stuff you don't know anything about, and backing it with links you haven't even read/understood yourself, which invalidate your claim.

it does have 400 games. And I linked yo to this: https://nixzero.wordpress.com/236-2/

I'm still waiting for you to show me where the duplicates are in that link.

I do wish the Jag and 3DO had done better back then. I didn't get to support those consoles as a kid, because for me I was only going to get one console and that's it. If I asked my parents for a 2nd console I would have gotten laughed at. With the hype of the upcoming PlayStation, I decided to wait and get a PS1 instead. No regrets though, the PS1 longbox era is one of my favorite moments in gaming history.

If a console like Jag or 3DO launched modern day, ie: small underdog, I absolutely 100% would buy it and support it.

Top Bottom