• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ian McShane to Star as Mr. Wednesday in 'American Gods'

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ian-mcshane-star-american-gods-872269

Starz has found its Mr. Wednesday.

Deadwood, American Horror Story and upcoming Game of Thrones star Ian McShane has booked the key role in Starz's adaptation of Neil Gaiman's fantasy novel American Gods, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The drama centers on a war brewing between old and new gods: the traditional gods of biblical and mythological roots from around the world steadily losing believers to an upstart pantheon of gods reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs. Its protagonist, Shadow Moon (The 100's Ricky Whittle), is an ex-con who becomes bodyguard and traveling partner to Mr. Wednesday, a conman but in reality one of the older gods, on a cross-country mission to gather his forces in preparation for a battle with the new deities.

Christine

This is a great choice, I can almost hear him doing the part already. Mr. Wednesday is entirely about convincing people that his arrogant self-importance is actually charming, and that's something Ian McShane does very well indeed.

Like if there was a computer simulation designed specifically to pick the best human being to portray "Mr. Wednesday from American Gods", Ian McShane would have been the top result

Kaladin

Like if there was a computer simulation designed specifically to pick the best human being to portray "Mr. Wednesday from American Gods", Ian McShane would have been the top result

As I read the book, in my mind Mr. Wednesday was very similar to Al Swearengen.

Ack, I found AMERICAN GODS to be one of the worst novels I have read in my life, and a very ill fit for Gaiman.

It's a really long, fractured, and convoluted, gritty version of many comics, including one he wrote himself. It's a dark and r-rated version of a very cliched and well worn storyline about gods in the contemporary world.

Gaiman did the story with his run of The Eternals, but it's been done a few times at least. The worst part is, how damned dull, and long AMERICAN GODS is. And the fractured narrative doesn't make it more literary, just even more annoying. And the dark take, the r rated nature, serves no purpose at all. That's another indictment against it. Not like it deconstructs or plays with the myths by making it dark.

NimbusD

Great casting, though I never finished the book because I got a little bored of it. Maybe one day, or I'll just wait for this to come out.

Tugatrix

b28010f165f4e874b6c9dd8ed07ffbba.gif

he's going to nail the character

Ack, I found AMERICAN GODS to be one of the worst novels I have read in my life, and a very ill fit for Gaiman.

It's a really long, fractured, and convoluted, gritty version of many comics, including one he wrote himself. It's a dark and r-rated version of a very cliched and well worn storyline about gods in the contemporary world.

Gaiman did the story with his run of The Eternals, but it's been done a few times at least. The worst part is, how damned dull, and long AMERICAN GODS is. And the fractured narrative doesn't make it more literary, just even more annoying. And the dark take, the r rated nature, serves no purpose at all. That's another indictment against it. Not like it deconstructs or plays with the myths by making it dark.

I wouldn't be that harsh in my criticism, but yeah, I found that it really started to drag in the 1/2 to 2/3 point. I still haven't finished it.

rbenchley

Excellent choice! My dream casting always had Brendan Gleeson as Mr. Wednesday, but I'll never complain about Al Swearengen showing up in shows I watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom