• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ian McShane to Star as Mr. Wednesday in 'American Gods'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

Finally, Kings is back.

Sv4aErn.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ack, I found AMERICAN GODS to be one of the worst novels I have read in my life, and a very ill fit for Gaiman.

It's a really long, fractured, and convoluted, gritty version of many comics, including one he wrote himself. It's a dark and r-rated version of a very cliched and well worn storyline about gods in the contemporary world.

Gaiman did the story with his run of The Eternals, but it's been done a few times at least. The worst part is, how damned dull, and long AMERICAN GODS is. And the fractured narrative doesn't make it more literary, just even more annoying. And the dark take, the r rated nature, serves no purpose at all. That's another indictment against it. Not like it deconstructs or plays with the myths by making it dark.

I'm wondering where you got this idea that Gaiman's biggest concern was dark and gritty? This is the most surface level criticism of the book one could make.

ger

Neo Member
The casting for this show has been on point. Thank you based Fuller.

I hope they don't shy away from any of the explicit scenes from the book.

I know nothing about American Gods, but if Mr. Wednesday is apparently one of the old gods, does that mean he's
Odin?
If I had to guess, that would be my guess. Again, a guess informed by zero knowledge of the story, though.

movies_ian_mcshane.jpg

Yep, I can definitely see that working. Great choice.

I know nothing about American Gods, but if Mr. Wednesday is apparently one of the old gods, does that mean he's
Odin?
If I had to guess, that would be my guess. Again, a guess informed by zero knowledge of the story, though.

“I told you I would tell you my names. This is what they call me. I'm called Glad-of-War, Grim, Raider, and Third. I am One-Eyed. I am called Highest, and True-Guesser. I am Grimnir, and I am the Hooded One. I am All-Father, and I am Gondlir Wand-Bearer. I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. My ravens are Huginn and Muninn, Thought and Memory; my wolves are Freki and Geri; my horse is the gallows.”

Madrin

Holy shit, this is the first time I've heard about him appearing in Game of Thrones. I love GoT and I love Ian McShane. Great to hear he's going to be in American Gods too. The more McShane the better.

“I told you I would tell you my names. This is what they call me. I'm called Glad-of-War, Grim, Raider, and Third. I am One-Eyed. I am called Highest, and True-Guesser. I am Grimnir, and I am the Hooded One. I am All-Father, and I am Gondlir Wand-Bearer. I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. My ravens are Huginn and Muninn, Thought and Memory; my wolves are Freki and Geri; my horse is the gallows.”

Haha, awesome. Excited to watch this. Should I read it first?

Platy

Odin?

It is a sad day that people think of old gods and don't think of Cthulhu =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom