• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection listing on Walmart.com

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
FunkyPajamas said:
Qué es esta mierda? Maldito loco.

[EDIT] Ay caramba nueva página.
You have so many spelling mistakes in your post that I can't even understand what you're saying. BTW what's that thing over some of the letters?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fuzzy said:
You have so many spelling mistakes in your post that I can't even understand what you're saying. BTW what's that thing over some of the letters?
Thing over the letters? You must have some dirt on your screen, you should clean it off.

I had to look up what it was really called, all of the ones he is using are Acute accents

CamHostage

ShockingAlberto said:
Huh

TGS stuff is leaking early

Unfortunately, no. American publishers have a presence at TGS, the press is there, but American retailers do not (unlike E3) so there's no connection. Even if something major gets announced there, it'll take a few days to trickle through channels, I would find it very unlikely that retailers had been given embargoed material from this show.

I have faith that we have enough evidence to assume that Ico/Shadow is just a matter of time, but I'd recommend tossing out this Walmart listing. It looks like they have a bunch of sketchy or temporary listings (they call the new TM "Twisted Metal X" for instance.) Chalk it up to retailers increasingly depending on the pre-order business while publishers have been more and more stubborn about getting materials out early (maybe we can thank Apple for big-shotting stores out of getting needed materials to establish SKUs, instead only cracking the seal on retail product info when they're damned good and ready...)

Real or not, though, I'm counting on TGS being a very, very good show for Ueda fans.

While I'm not one of the crazies that thinks SOTC's low framerate was intentional or that it enhances the experience, it didn't bother me the way low framerates normally do. For some reason, it worked in SOTC. I'm normally a big framerate whore, but when I played SOTC it just wasn't a big deal.

Still, I'd love to see what the game looks like at a smooth 60 fps. Or 30. Whatever.

All this discussion over the framerate reminds me of something in Chrono Cross. If you play CC on a PS2 with the disc speed turned up, the slow-motion battle intros (camera pans around the party characters) move and end too quickly and are no longer slow-mo. I think that sorta indicates the effect was intentional, even if it was a side effect of hardware limitations.

I'm not going to argue SotC's frame rate drops are intentional (and I couldn't care less anyway... I don't notice stuff like that at all while playing games unless it's severe and game-breaking) or especially necessary, but the discussion always reminds me of that.

jett

D-Member
ICO should look really nice in HD, I hope they are using MLAA.
0vcxd.jpg

I guess SotC will look nice too. :p
ShadowOfTheColossus2.jpg

lyre

jett said:
ICO should look really nice in HD, I hope they are using MLAA.
http://imgur.com/0vcxd.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]
Oh god is that hideous. Sub SD option plz.

[quote][img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vYk45ep4ZG0/TFu2v3UN1nI/AAAAAAAAAOo/e67nK0p4xIo/s1600/ShadowOfTheColossus2.jpg[img][/quote]
can'tseeshit.jpg

Sapiens

SotC should have been a launch PS3 game anyways, so this is good news.

It's crazy how terrible the frame rate was at times, yet the game was good so I tolerated it.

Le-mo

Will buy. I ended up buying SoTC after reading a few posts on Gamespot praising it. I bought it without looking at any videos or screenshots, needless to say it was the best blind purchase ever. I bought Ico from a fellow gaffer but never had a chance to play it since my PS3 isn't bc and I gave my PS2 away. Then I remembered my brother has a PS2 in his room, but the possibility of an HD remake was still lingering in my mind so I held off playing it, Looks like I made the right choice.:D

Awesome if legit!

I wonder how good SotC will look and play.

What other PS2 Collections would anyone else like to see? I wonder if Square-Enix will do something like a FFX/FFXII Collection.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sapiens said:
SotC should have been a launch PS3 game anyways, so this is good news.
I know what you mean, but it would have probably taken them too long to do rework everything to PS3 standards. Can you imagine when we would get TLG then?

Sapiens

Lord Error said:
I know what you mean, but it would have probably taken them too long to do rework everything to PS3 standards. Can you imagine when we would get TLG then?

Just do whatever everyone else did during console turnover eras. Take your near finished last gen game, add some of the new effects the hardware provides, call it a day.

Sapiens

StuBurns said:
I really hope they rework the controls with SotC, it needs it.

The horse was supposed to be an asshole.

Or are you talking about the maneuvers you had to pull as Wander?? I admit, they were a little obtuse at first, but they don't take very long to get used to.

StuBurns

Banned
Sapiens said:
The horse was supposed to be an asshole.

Or are you talking about the maneuvers you had to pull as Wander?? I admit, they were a little obtuse at first, but they don't take very long to get used to.
At the time it wasn't great, but I got used to it, but going back to it has been harder to me. Similar to playing RE4 at the moment, going back to those controls is really horrible to me.

Sapiens

StuBurns said:
At the time it wasn't great, but I got used to it, but going back to it has been harder to me. Similar to playing RE4 at the moment, going back to those controls is really horrible to me.

I've always welcomed different games having different methods of control.

It's really hard to say what should be standard.

It's hard to imagine SotC doing things diff'rently.

It's good people are starting to see the faults in SotC though. It's surely is far from perfect as far as game making goes. The control can be bitch at times.

StuBurns

Banned
Sapiens said:

Certainly if it's going to do it better I welcome the change, but if it's going to do it worse then I don't. Left stick is move, right stick is aim/camera for example. Any time anyone tries something else it's massively inferior, people should experiment of course, but if the experiments don't birth something better, don't ship with them.

It's been a while so I can't say how I'd change SotC's button mapping, but I'm convinced it can be done better because it was unwieldy to me.

Jex

StuBurns said:
Certainly if it's going to do it better I welcome the change, but if it's going to do it worse then I don't. Left stick is move, right stick is aim/camera for example. Any time anyone tries something else it's massively inferior, people should experiment of course, but if the experiments don't birth something better, don't ship with them.

It's been a while so I can't say how I'd change SotC's button mapping, but I'm convinced it can be done better because it was unwieldy to me.
I picked it up for the last time a couple of years ago and I was struggling to control it after hours of play.

I never usually have problems in that regard either.

Cels

I will buy this when it gets cheap, did the same for GOW.

I already played and still own the PS2 games. I'm pretty sure whoever does the conversion (bluepoint games again?!) is going to prioritize framerate on SoTC, cause that was a big flaw in the game.

720p, locked 60fps, better textures, two trophy sets? Hell yeah.

Sapiens

Cels said:
I will buy this when it gets cheap, did the same for GOW.

I already played and still own the PS2 games. I'm pretty sure whoever does the conversion (bluepoint games again?!) is going to prioritize framerate on SoTC, cause that was a big flaw in the game.

720p, locked 60fps, better textures, two trophy sets? Hell yeah.

THE main flaw, really. It made it unplayable at times. I recently did a playthrough and a friend watched me play it for ten mins and they wanted to barf.

I then showed them Warhawk to demonstrate that this was BC PS2, not a shitty PS3 game. They were very relieved.

Teknoman

Sapiens said:
THE main flaw, really. It made it unplayable at times. I recently did a playthrough and a friend watched me play it for ten mins and they wanted to barf.

I then showed them Warhawk to demonstrate that this was BC PS2, not a shitty PS3 game. They were very relieved.

I dunno if the framerate drops were THAT bad :lol

EDIT: Dunno what was wrong with the controls though, everything seemed to work as you would expect it to.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Teknoman said:
I dunno if the framerate drops were THAT bad :lol

EDIT: Dunno what was wrong with the controls though, everything seemed to work as you would expect it to.

Yeah, needing to vomit seems to be an over reaction.

I'm curious about the controls myself. They worked fine for me. The camera was annoying at times, though.

Teknoman

Galactic Fork said:
Yeah, needing to vomit seems to be an over reaction.

I'm curious about the controls myself. They worked fine for me. The camera was annoying at times, though.

Yeah the camera could get flipped around at the most inopportune times, but the controls were fine. Wasnt it like... Square for sword, R1 to grab things, X to jump...I forget the rest. I really need to replay SotC again.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sapiens said:

It's good people are starting to see the faults in SotC though. It's surely is far from perfect as far as game making goes. The control can be bitch at times.

It's not that hard. It's pretty well agreed on in 3D action games, for example, that left stick moves the character, right stick controls the camera, X button (on the dual shock) should be jump, and other face buttons should be offensive and defensive actions.

SotC (like Ico before it) doesn't have horrible controls, IMO, but they are unconventional and it's not immediately clear to me that it benefits from that in any way. I guess one could argue that the slightly cumbersome controls create a sense of effort or tension in the player that mirrors the characters actions. Whether the player likes that or hates it probably varies wildly, and so maybe it's a questionable design decision.

Elixist

Is the .gif with the kid cryin and the dinosaur head guy throwin his arms up banned now?
Cuz I'd like to post it in celebration.

Gravijah

Elixist said:
Is the .gif with the kid cryin and the dinosaur head guy throwin his arms up banned now?
Cuz I'd like to post it in celebration.

if you think a meme is banned, it's probably banned.

Johnas

I have a pretty strict no double-dipping policy, even on some of the best games out there. I didn't buy RE4 Wii, Metroid Prime Trilogy, or the God of War Collection.

But I'll have to make an exception for this one.

Here's hoping the HUD isn't stretched like the GoW Collection, that would be seriously disappointing.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I don't know much about the God of War collection, but were there any extras included? Like extra levels, or new battles? Anything to make me hope for an extra colossus or two in SoTC.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Galactic Fork said:
I don't know much about the God of War collection, but were there any extras included? Like extra levels, or new battles? Anything to make me hope for an extra colossus or two in SoTC.

No extras like that. The porting process is actually not that expensive or time consuming (if we are willing to generalize from God of War collection) and I don't think adding Colossi is likely to be in the budget.

Cels

Danne-Danger said:
This won't do!

Well if they could do 1080p that would be cool but I'd be happy with 720p

hey_it's_that_dog said:
No extras like that. The porting process is actually not that expensive or time consuming (if we are willing to generalize from God of War collection) and I don't think adding Colossi is likely to be in the budget.

The only real "extra" (beyond upgrading the visuals and putting everything on one disc) was the GOW3 demo...but yea, no gameplay/dlc-like extras whatsoever.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
April 1, 2011. You best not be fucking with me Wallyworld! I guess that means TLG comes out a few months after that. want.

Top Bottom