• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(If you are) Why are you getting a PS4?

If you can't already understand why the PS4 is doing and looking better, especially in eyes of a lot of GAF, then you won't understand in the end.
Especially if you're coming from a place of already commiting to MS's system.

It's hard not to see that Sony are presenting a more confident, re-assuring, cheaper and more powerful system.

** I'm not buying a launch system, I never do. **

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Same reason I got the ps2, and ps3.

Lot's of 3rd party games + Sony Exclusives + bad ass hardware.

First generation in a while that wont be picking up all the systems.

Going Wii U + ps4 unless something changes.

Getting Titanfall on PC :)

prophecy0

1. I am a Sony fanboy at heart. The PS1 is probably my favorite console ever and in my opinion the PS4 has potential to be just as huge.

2. (related to #1) I love Sony's philosophy with the PS4. They've made the system easy to develop for, they're going out of their way to welcome indie devs, etc. My hope is that the PS4 has as diverse a library as the PS1 had in its day.

3. I don't feel that Microsoft has any sort of clear vision for the XB1, especially after all of their reversals. They should have gone full digital from the start and stuck to their guns.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Gave my PS3 to my sister I want to stream netflix/hulu without paying a fee. (following the rules of this thread this is really all I can say....)

bj00rn_

Banned
I honestly don't have a clear thought about it. I don't know. I just like new stuff. It will mostly just sit there next to my Xbox One (which will just sit there next to my PS4..) looking fine together.

Drencrom

- I like games
- I like Playstation first party games
- I like Japanese games
- I want a nextgen console
- Playstation consoles have served me well over the years

Summary: It appeals to me

Games
The most obvious reason. For the most part the first-party stuff looks incredible and the indie games have a lot of variety and some good talent behind them. Besides all that, getting some indie games and a version of Driveclub on day one with PS+ means I won't have to spend $60 on a launch-day impulse buy I may not end up liking or not 100% sold on.

Steaming

I've taken an interest in streaming from my PC and having the option to do that on a console without buying a capture device and moving my PC around sounds great to me.

Controller
By all accounts it sounds like a massive upgrade over the DS3. This one is a bit dependant on it getting some good PC drivers, but I'm sure some hacker will come up with a solution.

Hardware
It's the most powerful box. Normally, as history shows, this wouldn't matter too much, but when you've got a studio like Naughty Dog in your pocket? Can't wait to see what they come up with.

JawzPause

One reason - games.
Sony has proven themselves to deliver a wide variety of exclusive games and that's what I love about them. Want a platformer? Ratchet & Clank. Want a story driven game? Heavy Rain. Want a action adventure? Uncharted. Want a shooter? Killzone. Want a car game? Gran Turismo. Want a sandbox? Infamous.
Also I appreciate that they publish a lot of new IP, such as The Order: 1886 & The Last of Us.

DirtyLarry

3 reasons:

-PS1
-PS2
-PS3
Have to say at the end of the day, this is my largest reason as well.

Sony has always done good by me as far as gaming goes. Always. So it is a matter of allegiance as much as it comes down to the fact I just like new stuff as well.

As some others have mentioned, for me it's mainly the Japanese support. Microsoft may buy themselves a few exclusives like they did on the 360, but at the end of the day, the One won't be getting the bulk of them.

I like all types of games, from West to East and in almost any genre. The only non-handheld gaming device that can provide that for me, is the PS4.

Sony exclusives and variety they offer, Japanese game support will be better on ps4 compared to xbox one. Free games via ps plus. A great track record of supporting previous consoles later in the generation by Sony. There's my reasons

Majmun

Because of Sony's commitment

Unlike MS and Nintendo, Sony have supported their consoles until the very end. And I don't see this being changed with the Ps4.

Because I always get multiple game platfoms each gen. Though why I'm going with ps4 first is, in no order of importance: It is $100 less, I already have a 360+kinect and have no motivation to upgrade to kinect 2.0, as of now I feel + offers greater value compaired to Live (though I do have gold and plus until 2016 so it's a wash rly), Vita off TV play, and I feel I don't know MS's direction when it comes to gaming.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

slabrock

Banned
great hardware, great first party, great value with ps+, willing to take chances on games like Puppeteer/Heavy Rain/etc, focus on games...

Bundy

Banned
1. Because I want the best next-gen platform/console
2. Because of SONY's amazing 1st Party Studios
3. Because of PS+
4. Because of the DualShock 4 controller
5. Because I like the gaming philosophy of SONY (compared to others)
6. Because SONY is supporting their consoles until the very end! No matter what!

rothbart

• Sony's first party studios mostly put out games I've very interested in.
  • I like the direction they're taking with the console, putting gaming front and center and adding media functions that make sense secondary and not arbitrarily placing them behind a paywall
  • I genuinely feel they're trying to get my money by luring it away from me with a system, policies, and games that will actively make me WANT to give them my money as opposed to holding things I want hostage and making me feel like I HAVE to give it to them (I think that's still a positive for Sony and fits within your guidelines) I mean just look at what PS+ delivers if you've been a member the whole time. Daaaamn.
  • I've been very happy with my PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, and Vita (the handhelds to a lesser degree than the home consoles though) and the PS4 looks to be an enhancement over the PS3 in many (if not all) ways
  • inFamous Second Son (honestly, I couldn't just made a list with that one game as my reason)
  • Sony seems to embrace a very wide scope of games and styles of games. I feel the PS4 has easily addressed the development difficulties that led to my biggest complaints about the PS3). I feel mutliplatform titles should be no compromise (or be better than other platforms) so it makes sense to buy into it.
  • Naught Dog

Good topic.

List in order of importance:

1. Games: Sony has an amazing 1st-Party titles and also full support from all 3rd-Party developers. I'm sure that picking PS4 will not leave me out of anything 3rd-Party. Also, there's no variety like Playstation. It's the only console where I get to play every type of game.

2. My Community: Here in Brazil, Playstation is still the most desirable console. Most of my friends have a PS3 and will eventually get a PS4. Also, since most of the 360's are hacked, the community is very weird. You get to be called stupid or dumb if you are not using piracy. (not the other way around mind you)

3. Playstation Plus: Before I got in this thread, I just spent $101 on the PC Playstation Store... If I was not a member, these $101 would have been around $160. There's no service like it.

4. Overall User Experience: This is a small complaint. I hate the 360 Dash. Too much going on. Too many ads.

Price: I know you said "don't say price" but... yeah... price.

SJS

Call of Duty early DLC, the TV integration, Titanfall and all my friends will have one.

Feel free to make terrible, hackneyed "he has seen titanfall jokes."

- Why not get Titanfall on a PC or even your 360?

- Aren't you aware that, in virtually every COD, the DLC maps are never as good as the base mapset?

- Can't you just watch TV on your TV? And what specifically is it that MS does that you can't do elsehow?

1) Its subscription ecosystem (PS+) is one that I am heavily invested in and have been overwhelmingly satisfied with.

2) Sony has remained consistent in their message and vision for their next console since pretty much day one. This speaks to a level of coherency and consistency at the leadership level for their strategy that I personally need as a consumer if I'm going to dive in Day One on a brand new piece of tech.

3) I like the exclusive games that I've seen as well as the franchises I'm fairly confident will only make their console debut on the PS4.

4) Yoshida, Cerny, Boyes, Tretton, House, and Hirai. In that order.

Because i love new tech, and its cheaper than the other console. hell I'm not even interested in most of the launch games but I have it on pre-order.

danthefan

Goes well with the Vita. Actually, more like Vita goes well with it.
Naughty Dog + other excellent first party studios.
Most powerful console ever, comfortably.
I have faith in Sony.
PlayStation Plus is amazingly awesome.
Great focus on indies.

StatsChu

Neo Member
Xbox One won't get all the JRPG like the PS4 will. Sony also goes hard with exclusives, and they support their consoles even after a new generation arrives. Look at the end of the PS3's generation, they are still killing it with exclusives while Xbox 360 just stopped.

I won't get getting one at launch, but maybe early next year.

This is my reason too.

Side note: I think Microsoft shoulda moneyhatted for an Atlus title - like P5.

I bought an Xbox 360 back in 2008 thinking that it would get all the JRPGs, then I found out about Tales of Graces F and then Ni No Kuni, and now Xillia. Not making the same mistake again, no matter how much I like the Dance Central series.

Short Term:
I want to play Watch Dogs on a next generation system and do not own a PC.
Remote Play (I just got a Vita yesterday).
Playstation Plus. This has been invaluable as a PS3/PSP owner and has introduced me to a ton of games I would never have played otherwise (Just Cause 2, for instance). Having Drive Club for free on day one is compelling.
I also might end up buying Killzone even though I didn't like KZ3 as much as KZ2.

Long Term:
Infamous
Transistor
Whatever Naughty Dog is working on next.

- more powerful
- cheaper
- Has made choices and stuck with them
- with 1 year less and a multitude of issues they caught up to Microsoft
- Microsoft is only going to be beaten even worse this coming gen

VanWinkle

Call of Duty early DLC, the TV integration, Titanfall and all my friends will have one.

Feel free to make terrible, hackneyed "he has seen titanfall jokes."

Are all your friends getting one because all your friends will have one? Honestly, your reasons are just a lot less compelling than the reasons others have brought forth for the PS4, especially someone who is getting the XB1 day one and has no interest in the PS4.

seeds19

Banned
First party output is the major reason for me, their first party games and studios developing those games are more appealing for me than anything the competence has to offer right now, except Dead rising 3.

Brand preference, i'm a Sony console owner since the Psx era, and never ever they dissapointed me.

Gran turismo.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
This topic is so funny. Guys why are you buying a better overall product, but please don't mention the main reasons that make it better.

redhot_

I enjoyed my experience on Sony consoles much more then others. Along with what they offer in terms of games just interest me more.

I liked Sony's message, I liked the support and the kind words a lot of independent developers showed towards Sony and I liked the fact that they showed a continued support of a wide-range of diverse titles that go from the typical first-person-shooter to beautiful and inspiring games like the Witness. I also liked the fact that this is the first Sony console ever, I think, that was developed with a focus turned towards developers. Where a lot more effort was put behind the development tools from the get-go.

Even so, after the unveil, Sony hadn't shown a number of titles that was enough to convince me of where I should put my money, if at all, that was until I saw Microsoft's conference. When I saw the direction in which Microsoft was taking their console I pre-ordered the Playstation 4.

I'm trying hard to not point out criticism against Microsoft but I'd be lying if I said that the way they unveiled their console and their announcements since then weren't influential in my purchase decision.

With that aside, Sony has historically shown excellent software support for all of their consoles, and even this year, when they are having one of their most important launches, they are still pledging great software support to the Playstation 3. When I look at the library of games I own for both the PS3 and 360, the PS3 had the majority of the games I enjoyed the most or found most memorable.

I consider my pre-order of the Playstation 4 more of an investment for future games I want to play than a product I want to buy. I'm not exactly dying to play any of the upcoming next-gen games at launch but I am very confident that Sony will deliver games that satisfy my expectations.

After seeing some of the games they unveiled yesterday like Rime, I felt once again like I had made a good decision.

Since this is meant to be an informative post for the OP, I'll see if I can summarise my reasons, big and small, in bulletpoints.

• Sony has the highest-quality and most diverse group of first-party developers right now, IMO
  • PS3 had some of my favorite and most memorable games of this generation (Journey, Sound Shapes, Ratchet and Clank, Unfinished Swan, Demon's Souls) and I honestly don't believe most of them would have existed if Sony hadn't funded or supported them in some way
  • Sony's development software is, reportedly, immensely better than it was in previous console generations and a lot of developers have publicly expressed how satisfied they are with it and the direction Sony has taken the console
  • They support their consoles betters in terms of first-party software, from launch day until their new console arrives
  • Strong independent developer support and respectful showcase of their work in conferences right beside multi-million dollar games
  • NO POWERBRICK
  • Historically Sony has had more reliable hardware
  • No proprietary hard drives
  • Backwards compatibility with some peripherals (wheels, PS Move, Bluetooth headset)
  • Historically Sony has received much better software support from Japanese developers, specially niche or smaller ones (jRPGs, rhythm games, Graphic Novels)
  • No paywall behind most of the online services, only online play for games that aren't F2P and some small improvement of life services like Cloud Saving, as an example
  • Playstation Plus offers great value for one console alone, immensely more if you own a few Sony ones.
  • The Playstation 4 interface is not filled with more advertisements than actual menu options (ahem)
  • The Dualshock controllers are significantly cheaper than their competitors' and will be available in 3 colors at launch (in Europe)
  • It has remoteplay for most games to the Playstation Vita, which I already own

Phew, I think that's all I can think of.

Skilletor

I'm also concerned about things like patches on smaller japanese titles or from smaller devs coming to PSN over XBL sometimes months beforehand. Or in the case of a game like Blazblue, where, I think, has no 360 release date at all.

With XB1 pretty much ignoring japan, I think those instances will pop up even more frequently in the coming generation.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I knew about a year ago that I when next gen started I wanted to go with the PS4 mainly due to my love for their first party studios. I started getting a bit worried when all this DRM, can't trade your games stuff came leaking out regarding the console industry and got a bit wary.

I participated in the no DRM twitter movement and was closely watching how Sony and MS would respond. After seeing Sony's response I was right back on the bandwagon. I ordered my PS4 within minutes of it going up on Amazon.

For me the PS4 is the best choice because otherwise I wouldn't be able to play their 1st party games. Microsoft first party studios does not have that draw for me. I also have a strong gaming PC so eventually I think I'll be able to play most of the games that would have gotten me interested in their system.

The final selling point on PS4 for me was that I have a Vita and remote play from the bed and other places throughout my house will be sublime.

I guess I never really even considered the xbone. I owned a 360 many years ago but have moved away from it. They haven't shown or done anything to make me feel compelled to get one.

GhaleonEB

Odd to disallow people from mentioning price, since it's a large enough gap that it will drive a lot of decisions.

I'll dance around it a bit. To be clear, these are the reasons I'm leaning toward the PS4; I haven't' decided for sure and won't until next year, after thing start to shake out a bit.

• I like that the PS4 does not bundle in a camera (ahem)
  • I'm impressed with Sony's 1st party studios, more so than Microsoft's; certainly the kind of games they make appeal to me more
  • My favorite developer, Bungie, seems to be signalling loudly that PS4 is their preferred platform
  • Sony's emphasis on indie gaming far eclipses Microsoft's efforts
  • Sony's emphasis on shared content ("Share" button, etc.)
  • The controller appears to have been sufficiently redesigned; I really did not like he DS design
  • I've never owned the most powerful platform in a given console generation, but having the best hardware certainly is not a downside this time around

GavinGT

Banned
I'll be passing on PS4 because Sony's first party games have never really clicked with me. Microsoft's have. And Sony's announcements thus far seem pretty mundane.

I bought a PS3 to play Uncharted 2. It was fun but not worth the price of entry.

Cheaper entry price
Positive experience with psplus over the last year
Vita connectivity
Focus on ease of dev, already showing in the number of interesting indie games
Interesting sharing/streaming/video functions
First party AAA games look good so far
positive experience with ps2/ps1/ps3 generation.
Most powerful of the three consoles, adds to future proofing over the long run.

Top Bottom