• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(If you are) Why are you getting a PS4?

DSix

Banned
Japanese console-only games. That's the only reason I buy any consoles and not sticking to just PC. If games like Final Fantasy or Tekken got on Steam too, I would never need a PS4.

GodofWine

- Its easily the most powerful console
- Sony first party studios are in their own league
- It looks like it will be the leading console based on sales
- Leading consoles typically get the best versions
- Fantastic free 2 play options
- No camera shoved down my throat
- I need to know that 1000 dollar investment is being made with a console that the people who made it, are confident with it, they are.
- Third party rumors saying its the better machine (paraphrased)
- The chip maker who is making all console chips says its easily the more powerful console
- Standard hard drives
- PS+ freebies are great
- Indie support is huge
etc etc

Jigolo

Their 1st party, all my friends are getting it, and I've been rolling with PS since PS1.

(and Ninty although N64 was last console and DS was last handheld. But I love Nintendo games)

Alpende

Because the PS4 is available in 2013 and not delayed like the One is. Plus, Microsoft hasn't exactly convinced me to get a One.

Jonm1010

Banned
- Prefer Sony's first party games(though ill eventually grab a discounted Xbone for Halo, dead rising and others)

- Cheaper

- more powerful, which will inevitably lead to superior multiplatform experiences.

- PS+ > Xbox live. Literally the only thing Xbox has that Sony doesn't for me is HBOgo but I can just use my X51 in the living room for that.

- indie support

- I was a fairly exclusive Microsoft gamer this gen but the whole kinect/always on bullshit has made me hasitant to jump on board with Microsoft early.

besada

Banned
I'm getting both, largely because I always get both, but I am mostly impressed with Sony's line of indie games, and willingness to redesign the controller and finally build up feature parity when it comes to OS-level console features.

Rime looks amazing, and Sony generally brings the funky Japanese games I want. They'll always be the company that gave me Katamari Damacy.

8byte

Banned
1. Better hardware.
2. Better 1st party studios.
3. Better streaming / capture services.
4. No paywall for 3rd party services.
5. Free party chat for everyone.
6. PS+ is a far better service than XBL.
7. Stellar hardware design (aesthetically).
8. PSN looks to be extremely robust on PS4 at a lower price than the competition (while packing in more value).

Ploid 3.0

I love the indie focus (I don't own a PC), Sony's first party, and Playstation Plus. Multiplatform games will theoretically look better this time around. I own a Vita, too, so it's a no-brainer for me.

It's also $400.

Wow I forgot to mention the price. Do'h. Yeah that low price is very nice, though I probably would have gotten it if it was $500 too.

Crisco

Banned
More powerful, prefer the controller, Sony's 1st party studios (esp. ND), and the fact that it's not tied down to a bloated and ad-driven ecosystem. The price is a nice bonus but I'd probably still choose it even if it cost the same or more than the Xbox One. I've already pre-ordered the Amazon bundle with KZ:SF, the camera, and an extra controller. So I've already invested ~$100 over the Xbox One's price point.

So why are you picking up Sony's next console?

Two caveats:

1. Don't mention price.
2. Don't mention negatives about any other platform.

Just give me the positives of the PS4.

Full disclosure: I am getting an Xbox One day 1 and have no interest in the PS4 but want to hear the positives about it from those who are getting it.

Easy.

Best looking multiplatform titles next generation.

Uncharted and MLB developers are first party.

They fixed the PS3' s broke ass controller.

I want to play Destiny even when my girlfriend is watching So You Think You Can Dance (Vita remote play)

Sakujou

Banned
iam addicted to videogames, thats why.
i buy any platforms.
oh and of course since last gen, i will wait until the first revision to get one.

- Because of E3 2013 aka NoDRM
- Better specs
- No PSeye required
- And for me THE most important thing about Playstation: first party studios and all the magnificient games that are guaranteed to come out on PS4 in the next 5-7 years.
- PS+ forgot about that one

Have you seen Rime?

image_killzone_shadow_fall-22861-2660_0004.jpg

image_rime-22866-2798_0002.jpg

JytNWjkP3.gif

Ludist210

I like my PS3, and it looks like Sony is stepping up their first-party efforts. Plus it's still a Blu-Ray player, so there's that.

It will nicely complement my Wii U...just don't know when I'll be buying a PS4, but I plan to.

Prefer the DualShock
Most of my friends and fam is on PS3 so I assume they'll convert to PS4 soon enough
Exclusives
Playstation Plus deals
Owned PS1, PS2, and PS3
Don't feel forced from Sony
Most features are available without Playstation Plus
Indie support
I can saltybet from my console

Because I have had such a great experience on all their previous consoles including the PS3. It's a no brainer for me. Great track record on fun, engaging experiences means I'm in for their next console(PS4). Past history. That's the bottom line for me.

Dunlop

I still see it as the better value, although MS has made strides and they are a pack in game from making me change my mind

(also I have a year or more left on PS+, my LIVE has been expired for months)

Piggus

Because the price being cheaper does not speak to the qualities of the PS4 you would like.

Yes it does... The system is a better value. For me that's a positive.

Anyway...

1. Exclusive games. REAL exclusives that I can't just play on PC. Always loved Sony's first party offerings and they don't seem to be slowing down in that regard.

2. Power - the most powerful system for $100 less? I'll take it.

3. Size - design. Doesn't look like it was rushed, especially considering the size of the system with the internal PSU.

4. PS+ - it's better than Xbox Live in almost every way. Also, no stupid McDonalds ads.

5. OS features that aren't locked behind a paywall.

Because I know that Sony will keep on pushing even late in gen. Just see what the PS3 is still getting, software wise.

Plus, I think they did everything right so far.

I want to create videos of games and stream content. I support customer value proposition, had done so during the #PS4NoDRM twitter campaign, and I feel pretty damn good about owning the console now :)

Maulik

+cheaper
+better tech
+Sony supports platforms for years (see ps3 with last of us, beyond two souls and gt6)
+PS plus is an actual value add
+Indie support
+crossplay/buy with vita

GunBR

1. Just the ND games are better than anything that the MS studios can make (IMO), and Sony still have a lot of others 1st party studios

2. Japanese games.

Sakujou

Banned
1. Better hardware.
2. Better 1st party studios.
3. Better streaming / capture services.
4. No paywall for 3rd party services.
5. Free party chat for everyone.
6. PS+
7. Stellar hardware design (aesthetically).

the party chat was already on ps3.
and it can be accessed without ps+
the difference is doing it while gaming...

Duxxy3

In no order

Controller - Best controller overall
Power - Best looking/running multiplatform games
First party games - Seriously did you look at their output the last few years? Crazy!
Japanese support
Indie support

badb0y

1.) Stronger Console.
2.) Optional accessories.
3.) Solid lineup of proven First-Party Developers.
4.) Lots of interesting Indie games coming out, some that are even console exclusive.
5.) The narrative that they are trying to sell is exactly what I want in a game console. They understand the importance of being an entertainment hub but don't forget that they are primarily a gaming console and the people who buy it will want rich and diverse game experiences.

Gryph

Because Sony showed real backbone and strength of purpose by struggling through the PS3 era and making a real effort to fulfill on their promises.

Microsoft's game department has shown recently that they're willing to make money at the expense of their user base. Sony has show they want to make money by listening to what people want, that's a huge difference.

I want to support a company I admire and trust.

Also their 1st party games have a level of quality you don't see from Microsoft.

Infamous: SS, Naughty Dog, SSM, etc.

I love the output of Sony's first party studios. Sony has built a powerful and well rounded system. I have a PC and was a PS3/PC/WIi gamer. Playstation and PC make a really really good combo. There is nothing I need (at the moment) to play that I cannot play on a PS4/PC.

destrudo

Can I speak negatives about Microsoft? Because I don't like their general business practices. Not just all the recent backpeddling they've been doing either, but crap like putting Netflix behind a pay wall. I bought both a 360 and a PS3 last gen but in the end I spent more time using the PS3 because of PS+ and free online play.

But basically:

+ Sony seems to have learned from their mistakes (cross game chat, finally).
+ better hardware overall (if only slightly)
+ improved controller over DS3
+ streaming games online (I love streaming)
+ speaking of streaming, Gaikai/streaming live TV instead of using cable boxes
+ PS+ service is really good
+ most of the games I care about are multi-platform
+ the only "exclusive" Xbox games I want are also on PC
+ naughty dog

The only advantage that the Xbox has, to me, is dedicated servers. Mainly because I really really hate matchmaking (long time PC gamer). However, I do think that Sony will do something about this in the future.

Sony always has the games I want to play.
Sony has the variety of the games I want to play.
More friends with ps3, who are also getting ps4
I own a vita and a ps3...for sure getting a ps4.
PS Plus is awesome.

-Better 1st party games
-Indie games look amazing
-Superior performance over the Xbone
-Better looking and designed controller (IMO)
-Playstation Plus is an infinitely better value over Xbox Live
-Everything is free to use (F2P, Twitch, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, etc) without PS+ except online multiplayer
-Console looks sleek and designed for the future
-Puts priority on gaming rather than media
-User replaceable hard drive
-Accessories/peripherals are optional (no Kinect stuffed down your throat)

Sony has everything going for it this time. It really is a massive turnaround from their fumbled efforts at the PS3 launch. Microsoft did their 180s simply because they had no choice. If they could, I'm pretty sure they would have kept their original policies in place.

haikira

01: Launch window games like Infamous Second Son, knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall

02: Future titles from Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule and so on...

03: Good experience with Playstation Plus

04: Heavy emphasis on strong indie titles, a lot of which appear to have Vita crossbuy

SJS

1. It's indisputably the better console from a specs standpoint. It is literally guaranteed to play all multiplatform titles with greater proficiency.

2. Microsoft's pre-180 policies alienated me as an exclusive 360 user. I buy a console for games and use my TV if I want to watch TV.

3. PlanetSide 2. Seriously, have you actually watched a video of this game? If it's really true that the PS4 can run that game on maximum settings, I'll be nothing short of blown away, even as a long-time gamer. The gameplay looks relatively revolutionary as well.

4. The newly unveiled Shadow of the Beast triggered the nostalgia in me.

5. The Order looks pretty sick.

6. Twitch >>> uStream.

7. I am not forced and strongly encouraged to use peripheral hardware when I buy it.

8. I will not be forced to listen to hordes of Kinect mics due to a prevalence of casual gamers who use forced pack-ins on my system. If you've listened to even one on the 360, you know how distracting this is, and you'll hate it even more on the XBone because its number of users is about to grow exponentially.

9. My hard drive isn't non-replaceable.

10. Because it's where serious gamers will go this gen.

Top Bottom