• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] 40 minute Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain demo 1080p60 - 6/18 at 5 AM PST

Mifec

It's not going to be that significant. The difference will be a better view distance (The higher the resolution/pixel density the more the Fox engine renders from further away.)

And if you run at 4k downsampled to 1080p it'll look far smoother without all the fuzzy jagged hair.

Eh the GZ differences were pretty good(I'm well aware they had time to optimise the game on consoles since GZ came out), in fact enough to cause meltdowns, was a really great thread. Depends on what if any nvidia enhancements the game has if you ask me. If none then I'd say higher draw distances like you said and better geometry for sure.

A little bit off topic but I liked how the Nuclear trailer ended with glimpses of the E3 2015 trailer. You have BB shooting the soldiers in the hallway in Nuclear and in E3 2015 you have BB on his knees in the same hallway with those dead soldiers. Also at the end of Nuclear you see Skull Face wearing the Lone Ranger mask which is all he wears in E3 2015 trailer (except for the Ground Zeros clip). I really like the kojima trailers, he puts a lot of thought into them.

The mask was there in 2013 trailer too, it's the only look we've seen for him in 1984.

Nerrel

Do we know if Kojima-sama will show the PC version of the game before the release of TPP ?

I still don't know if I take it on PS4 or on PC, I want to play it with the best graphic possible but I'm not sure I can wait two more weeks before playing it, if the differences aren't that big, I'll play it on PS4....

Ground Zeroes had a higher level of detail, better lighting effects, better DoF effects, and some reflection effects that weren't in the console versions.

It wasn't a drastic upgrade, but it was clearly a better looking game. With the larger worlds in TPP, I expect the PC improvement to be a little bigger.

Polarburr

i just noticed that all gameplay so far are set outdoors or in the wilderness. Any word on indoor missions like tankers, bases, etc?

Kinda why I hated SoM was cause everything was just outdoors. :(

mattp

No hyperbole, this is the best news I've heard yet about TPP. Thank god they changed it from GZ.

YUP
100%

thank god

although, the reflex slowdown thing seemed a bit like a bandaid that was necessary because of the instant alert. maybe now they should tweak it to be a little shorter?

Solidino

tmyRYZC.jpg

Nuke Soda

Every since I watched this video my hype levels have reached super tier levels. September 1st can't come soon enough. Been playing the hell out of Ground Zeroes.

Alienous

So this is the same video but narrated in Japanese? I didn't see any difference in gameplay approach compared tot he other English version like promised. Or the enw approach will be in the next week video?

I believe the new approach will be the new video.

I think we've seen some of it leaked from E3, with things like D Dog in his sneaking suit.

I believe the new approach will be the new video.

I think we've seen some of it leaked from E3, with things like D-Dog in his sneaking suit.

Oh really? Where? I didn't see him in sneaking suit. Was this in the trailer? Because I didn't see it. Where was it leaked please?

majik13

Really hyped for this now. Though still skeptical on the silly angle on some stuff. Anyways finally played GZ. I have some questions.

I enjoy playing the game much more with "markers" turned off. Seeing all the enemies through walls, and all over the map really take me out of the game, kills the immersion for me, and also feels a bit cheap. Anyways. I see there is bonus stuff now in TPP. Is there any bonus for playing with markers off?

Also, I found all the dithering in GZ to be pretty off-putting. Actually think the whole interaction with bushes was done pretty poor. They wiggle oddly when you are completely still in them, and when there is no wind. They animate very rigidly. Odd defocus/blur and dithering all over the place when you are really close to them, etc. Also there was a bit of noticeable pop in dithering of objects in the environment. Do we know if any of this has been alleviated or changed in TPP? Hard to tell in this demo, since its a different location and he doesn't hide much in the bushes. But things do seem to be a bit better, and cleaner. But even watching GZ videos on the computer its really hard to see any dithering, but its super noticeable when actually playing it.

Also GZ, seems a little too sterile and clear with its graphics, also with noticeable repeating textures. World doesn't feel alive or lived in, compared to something like Bloodborne, where the world and presentation feels more organic In GZ the ground is super pristine, with no dirt build up, garbage or variations, most assets just kinda clean and perfect. And not much in terms of smoke/dust/ environmental fx(outside the rain in the first mission). GZ still looks pretty amazing though, especially the intro.
Anyways with these issues I am almost wondering if they should have maybe gone for 30fps to give more life and detail to the large scale open world, or at least better IQ(no dithering) and draw distance of objects. 60fps is great but I don't think its totally necessary for MGS. Don't recall any of the previous games being 60? But its been awhile.

On that note, with my limited viewing experience of TPP, things do look better, but kinda hard to really tell off videos.

Really hyped for this now. Though still skeptical on the silly angle on some stuff. Anyways finally played GZ. I have some questions.

I enjoy playing the game much more with "markers" turned off. Seeing all the enemies through walls, and all over the map really take me out of the game, kills the immersion for me, and also feels a bit cheap. Anyways. I see there is bonus stuff now in TPP. Is there any bonus for playing with markers off?

The bonus for No Reflex is still in. Not sure about removing the markers (you can turn them all off, though).

CH3KbtwUMAAzQC7.jpg:large

Don't know what "No Traces" is, but hopefully we will find out more soon!

The bonus for No Reflex is still in. Not sure about removing the markers (you can turn them all off, though).

CH3KbtwUMAAzQC7.jpg:large

Don't know what "No Traces" is, but hopefully we will find out more soon!

No traces means you didn't leave behind evidence.

As in, no bodies left in the open that are found later after the mission.

Only 2 months away and we've only got 1 trailer for MGO, i'm getting worried

And somehow we did not get any new info when that embargo ended last week? something is going on, i can feel it

So I'm doing Ground Zeros again on Hard.

I completely forgot how realistic the alert distance is on Hard, I fucking love it.

I really, really hope I can choose the difficulty from the start.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Don't even get excited about MGO. Dead on arrival. Even if it's awesome, no post launch support.

Stillborn.

ugly

Also GZ, seems a little too sterile and clear with its graphics, also with noticeable repeating textures. World doesn't feel alive or lived in, compared to something like Bloodborne, where the world and presentation feels more organic In GZ the ground is super pristine, with no dirt build up, garbage or variations, most assets just kinda clean and perfect. And not much in terms of smoke/dust/ environmental fx(outside the rain in the first mission). GZ still looks pretty amazing though, especially the intro.

Hasn't that always been the aesthetic though? GZ really looks like MGS2-HD to my eyes, which is awesome. I really admire the 'gamey' feel of that TPP demo in OP. The fultoning and everything. It's like a perfect mix of B movie storytelling, NES game design sensibilities with modern advancements - all wrapped in that lush, polished Kojima flair

The red MGSV PS4 is up for pre-order at a few retailers here... very tempting!
I'll probably get it

My 100% GZ save is on PS3 though, i'm doubtful that there'll be a way for the PS4 version of TPP to read it.

zXe

Hey guys, there's a Feature/Option Feedback thread for the PC version of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

In a little over two months time we'll have a PC version of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, something we've been working on, but while we've been doing our best, and reading what feedback you've given thus far...let's do our best to funnel it all into this thread.

Tell us please, so that we can convey it to the development team hard at work on the PC version, what FEATURES and OPTIONS you want for the PC version of MGSV:TPP.

No guarrantees they'll all make it in, but this game is made for you, the fans of Metal Gear, who want an amazing experience on your home computer--so help us get you there.

I've been inside this community all along, waiting for the right time to awaken!

Likewise, if a feature can't be added, we'll do our best to explain why.

With that, thanks for listening, and hope you get to hear back from me very very soon.

-KJPDev

http://steamcommunity.com/app/287700/discussions/0/530645446312560975/#p5

So what PC features would you like to see Gaf? There are some good suggestions already on that steam thread. Off the top of my head, I would say better anti-aliasing support/options, Nvidia's HBAO+, in game downsampling like games such as Shadow of Mordor has.

Kojima's promising the world with this game, and I do think he can deliver it.

The real worry I have atm though is the mission variety, especially for SIDE OPS; Peace Walker didn't exactly break any new grounds there with it's "Kill this guy/tank/mech" or "Retrieve this Intel/Person" mission goals.

Yes, MGSV is different in the amount of legitimate tactical freedom you're given to approach the game; But no matter how much freedom is given, people are definitely gonna get bored after killing a target for XXth amount of times.

Just as a footnote, I've been on a semi-media blackout out of anticipation for the game, so if there are already journalistic feedback addressing this, that'll be great.

Is this true?

Kojima Productions as of now is basically gone, everyone is going to be shuffled into other places in the company or put into horrible jobs where they are forced to quit. In fact, I remember reading that a lot of people in KP aren't even full employees of Konami anymore, and are basically contractors.

If they did that to Kojima Productions, what the hell do you think is going to happen to the LA team?

Xiraiya

Kojima Productions as of now is basically gone, everyone is going to be shuffled into other places in the company or put into horrible jobs where they are forced to quit. In fact, I remember reading that a lot of people in KP aren't even full employees of Konami anymore, and are basically contractors.

If they did that to Kojima Productions, what the hell do you think is going to happen to the LA team?
The LA team got renamed to Konami LA or something I believed, so we don't know just yet what they will do with the team.

I feel like it would cause too much mess for Konami to immediately drop it.

Dont they care about their most precious IP? Seems unlikely to me that they will drop support but yeah we'll see i guess. I hope they keep supporting it.

Would they still be looking for people if they are going to close in 2 months? http://www.konami-digital-entertainment.com/jobs.php

Top Bottom