• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] 40 minute Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain demo 1080p60 - 6/18 at 5 AM PST

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
There's no point in trying to rationalize with people who are so taken by the hype machine that they react badly to any little bit of criticism.

Come on, man. You know me. That wasn't the tone I was going for.

Are you guys THAT passionate in defending the game using sarcastic comments to some guy's personal "nitpick"?

wow... just WOW.

Take a deep breath.

I was putting your concern into context in an amiable/amusing (not sarcastic) way. I'm sorry that didn't come across. It's your right to think the RC Rocket Arm is the craziest thing Kojima has pulled, as it is my right to say "Hang on, what about X?" in whatever way I like.

It must be said though, there is some irony in vehemently defending your right to criticise whilst being unable to take criticism yourself, don't you think...?

valkyre

Take a deep breath.

I was putting your concern into context in an amiable/amusing (not sarcastic) way. I'm sorry that didn't come across. It's your right to think the RC Rocket Arm is the craziest thing Kojima has pulled, as it is my right to say "Hang on, what about X?" in whatever way I like.

It must be said though, there is some irony in vehemently defending your right to criticise whilst being unable to take criticism yourself, don't you think...?

You can criticize my opinion all you want. You dont have to use irony and sarcasm though to do it. I got responses that made me look like I was some blasphemous dude spewing crazy stuff from his mouth.

Sorry but I cant take responses such as this, without feeling a tad bit offended.

Yeah, the game should be completely grounded and serious. No fun should be allowed ....

8byte

Banned
lol, my reaction is crazy, but the guys who replied sarcastically/ironically are perfectly relaxed and cool...

oh GAF....

To restate, I like Kojima's silly fun. I am not against it. But there are times, that I personally believe it goes a step too far. Yes the guy throwing bees out of his mouth was ridiculous in MGS3. Dont know why people here act as if it was accepted by everyone as "amazing" back then...

At the same time silly things like soldiers masturbating or helplessly being abused by Snake is a welcome chuckle.

But especially in the case of MGSV where Kojima seems to be taking a more serious tone (in terms of story) , I cant help but feel that the antithesis between tackling serious themes such as rape / child abuse / war children etc and then proceeding to remote control rocket punch enemies, is a bit too much.

I want my MGS to have silly fun in it, it was and should always be there. Just dont overdo it.

Then you don't want Metal Gear.

The rocket punch is far from "over doing it".

Guys who live forever because of Nano machines, cyborgs, ghosts, giant mechs...I could go on and on about the bizarre nature of MGS. The rocket punch is tame in comparison to other things.

You hide in a cardboard box.

realcZk

Remember guys, if you don't like some items or feel they are too cheesy for your playstyle (box, rocket punch, etc), you don't have to use them! :)

For my first playthrough I'm probably going to run through hard difficulty and have a mostly traditional, stealthy playstyle - because that's how I like to play MGS. I absolutely can not wait to goof around though, it looks like so much fun. In free roam and my additional playthroughs I can see myself using and abusing these items, and I'm very happy to see these items return and be expanded upon.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You can criticize my opinion all you want. You dont have to use irony and sarcasm though to do it.

Well, we don't have to, you're right there. It is funnier though. This isn't a po-faced academic debate. Fire back!

I got responses that made me look like I was some blasphemous dude spewing crazy stuff from his mouth.

I don't want to talk for anyone one else here, but no one thought you were "some blasphemous dude spewing crazy stuff from [their] mouth"...

...they probably think you're a little sensitive now though, but still. XD

Sorry but I cant take responses such as this, without feeling a tad bit offended.

Were you really offended by that...? Come on, man. Lighten up.

I was referring more to the people who tend to use strawman arguments to complain about someone's opinions ;P

But you can't deny that there's an assload of overly-sensitive fanboys who froth at the mouth to complain about other people complaints. At least it's not as bad as Gamefaqs though. That place is the fucking worst. Every topic, someone dickhead complaining about the OP daring to talk about a problem with a game.

Remember guys, if you don't like some items or feel they are too cheesy for your playstyle (box, rocket punch, etc), you don't have to use them! :)

For my first playthrough I'm probably going to run through hard difficulty and have a mostly traditional, stealthy playstyle - because that's how I like to play MGS. I absolutely can not wait to goof around though, it looks like so much fun. In free roam and my additional playthroughs I can see myself using and abusing these items, and I'm very happy to see these items return and be expanded upon.

This

If reports of this game being massive is to be believed then the couple of seconds of silliness will pale in comparison to the many hours of epicness

valkyre

Αgreed, as long as the game doesnt force you in any way to use such items in order to achieve special rankings that unlocks other items/unlockables etc.

If there are no such restrictions then I can live with it.

Then you don't want Metal Gear.

The rocket punch is far from "over doing it".

Guys who live forever because of Nano machines, cyborgs, ghosts, giant mechs...I could go on and on about the bizarre nature of MGS. The rocket punch is tame in comparison to other things.

You hide in a cardboard box.

I dont agree with this. You still refer to me as someone who absolutely despises silly humor in a MGS game, when I specifically said that I am ok with "most of it". Nanomachines that pretty much explain everything in MGS games, could be considered silly by some, but I find that there is enough references behind them in every MGS game, that can be considered a central part of the lore of MGS no matter how silly it is.

As for whether I "want Metal Gear or not", my personal and quite respectable MGS collection says otherwise. I like Kojima's humor, I do believe he goes a step too far sometimes in all his games. Thankfully, like the friend above says, most of the pretty insanely crazy gameplay stuff can be bypassed.

Its not like a remote controled punch is going to make me stop dreaming of finally playing the game. Look at my damn avatar lol!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Its not like a remote controled punch is going to make me stop dreaming of finally playing the game. Look at my damn avatar lol!

It's a good avatar. I got a better one for you:

rocketpeace.gif

;P

I was referring more to the people who tend to use strawman arguments to complain about someone's opinions ;P

But you can't deny that there's an assload of overly-sensitive fanboys who froth at the mouth to complain about other people complaints. At least it's not as bad as Gamefaqs though. That place is the fucking worst. Every topic, someone dickhead complaining about the OP daring to talk about a problem with a game.

Yeah. I can't really argue with that.

Arjac

Man ... I saw the gamersyde new 30 min demo... and when I saw the
remote controled blast arm
I cringed... in a bad way.

Yes I know Kojima wants to provide fun and lots of crazy shit, but that was really effin ridiculous... both in concept and execution...

Still waiting the game like mad though, but I do feel that the game is filled with way too many crazy shit, even by Kojima's standards.
It's mechanically just a Nikita rocket, so whatever.

Damn, this game looks fantastic. I just played ground zeroes for the first time and it has the best mgs mechanics yet... Is there a limit to how much you can Fulton? I kind of liked the tense sections in ground zeroes when you had to make it to the chopper.

Damn, this game looks fantastic. I just played ground zeroes for the first time and it has the best mgs mechanics yet... Is there a limit to how much you can Fulton? I kind of liked the tense sections in ground zeroes when you had to make it to the chopper.

The assumption is that you will be limited, at first, much like Peace Walker, and then as you progress through the game, you unlock more, faster Fulton!

Hypron

The assumption is that you will be limited, at first, much like Peace Walker, and then as you progress through the game, you unlock more, faster Fulton!

Yeah, for most of Peace Walker you are limited to 10 fulton recoveries per mission (which is plenty for most missions that are not vehicle battle).

Once you get fulton mines (which you can only get after finishing the main game) you get an extra 20 potential fulton recoveries (4 guys per mine) - but it's kinda hard to always get 4 guys with one mine. Then once you get the fulton launcher (even later after you finished the game) you can recover tons and tons of guys. You can only carry 4 fulton rockets/missiles that can recover a couple of guys each, and you use the infinite bandana or supply markers to get more missiles.

BTW in case some didin't notice, there is an english version of the alternate demo not on the Konami channel but on the MGS channel : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqu0nRb0puM

And the direct-feed one on GamerSyde : http://www.gamersyde.com/news_la_demo_mgsv_tpp_retour-16819_en.html

Looks incredibly awesome. Like MGS, Hitman and Far Cry rolled into one. My only worry for this game is all the new mechanics will make the player too overpowered and lose some of the tenseness of stealth games. I hope for the demoes sake, the player was given mid to end game skills...

Looks incredibly awesome. Like MGS, Hitman and Far Cry rolled into one. My only worry for this game is all the new mechanics will make the player too overpowered and lose some of the tenseness of stealth games. I hope for the demoes sake, the player was given mid to end game skills...
Do you mean the equipment and buddies or the actual gameplay?

Volotaire

MGSV is the Project IGI 3 I always wanted.

I mean all the tools available... I think actual gameplay in ground zeroes is pretty balanced. But buddies, fultoning, rocket arm etc make it seem like you can be overpowered easily.
Yeah I'm sure we won't have all that stuff at that point in the game. Also, the mission they showed is straight forward and doesn't look too difficult.

Top Bottom