• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN admits their pre-release Ghosts footage wasn't 1080p after all

antitrop

The last several months have been some of the most pitiful for "games journalism" that I've ever witnessed, and I've been witnessing since I subscribed to Nintendo Power in the early 90s.

GameSeeker

Once again Detective GAF proves smarter than IGN or most anyone else in the games industry. This is why you trust NeoGAF for your gaming information.

A_Gorilla

Banned
The last several months have been some of the most pitiful for "games journalism" that I've ever witnessed, and I've been witnessing since I subscribed to Nintendo Power in the early 90s.

This last year has confirmed for me that "gaming" and "journalist" do not belong in the same sentence.

William Randolph Hurst would be very proud of these people.

jmcoo7

Banned
Yeah good job neogaf, best gaming journalists around. The main media outlets have shown themselves to be utterly disrespectful and dishonest, towards gamers. Long live neogaf.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly, I've never been able to tell the difference on screen resolution on video footage I'm viewing from from my home computer, mostly because the stream quality sucks no matter what it is (and full-sized downloads are prohibitively large). Does resolution make a difference? Absolutely, but I've never been able to tell since I've never really had access to uncompressed pre-release footage.

b0neshank

Banned
This is some bullshit right here. There are just too many things like this surrounding the Xbone release that it make me feel 110% justified in my decision to turn to the dark side and go with Sony this next gen.

mr2xxx

Banned
And IGN complains about "conspiracy theories", they gives us enough ammunition already without the speculation.

NeoGash

I thought this worked in Sony's favour. Didn't IGN say the resolution made the PS4 version superior, in which case they were lying for the PS4, and now this will make the difference even more immense? I don't get the claims of 'bias' but could someone please explain?

Also, didn't digital foundry and IGN just have an analysis/review on Dead Rising 3 without installing the day one patch, and so were complaining about a shitty frame rate that people who had downloaded said patch claimed was basically unnoticeable? Again, please explain because I don't inderstand these claims of moneyhatting bias as if they are trying to make Sony look bad. Can't it ever just be an honest mistake and not some elaborate scheme? Or are we having a competition on who can come up with the most laughably insane conspiracy theory given the circumstances?

orioto

Good Art™
Lol
1080p almost makes it look like a different game.

To be totally frank here, yeah the difference is easy to see, when looking at details on the screen. But unfortunately i can totally see why lots of journalists (in france to it seems) say "the difference wasn't that clear". When seeing the global picture, in motion.. most people wouldn't notice.

But i still think the problem is more about the 100$+ console entering into that 5-6 years generation without being able to render the first games as they should be. That's just a sign of disaster after that.

jaypah

So they had footage of the game running at 720p for both consoles but concluded that the PS4 version was 1080p and looked better?

Does not surprise me at all considering how much blatant favoritism most game sites have given MS.'

Sony PS4 reveal in Feb: "Mediocre, MS wont have to do much to beat it"

Xbox DRM Rumors - "Completely untrue! MS would never do this"

DRM Rumors confirmed - "They're not that big of a deal! Gamers will get used to them, and Sony will implement them too!"

PS4 confirms no DRM, $100 cheaper - "Well, er, uh, Xbox is still a potentially better value, still not that big a deal, uh, Titanfall?"

MS reverses DRM - "OH THANK GOD YES! You see, YOU SEE? MS does care about us!!!"

And so on...

That's actually a pretty accurate timeline of events.

Hanzou

So what was the problem here? IGN ran the comparison vids and sid the PS4 was at 1080p when in fact it was 720p because it was not patched yet? I don't see the huge blowout here. now did IGN confirm that the PS4 was running it natively at 1080 or just that the PS4 was spitting out a 1080p image? Big difference between the two. Plus also fuck Activsion for patching in 1080p!!

Nymphae

Banned
So they had footage of the game running at 720p for both consoles but concluded that the PS4 version was 1080p and looked better?

Games journalism has been my main source of comedic entertainment this year.

I'm far too lazy to do this myself, but I would love to see a compiled a list of what outlets tweeted/posted with regards to resolution. It's just hilarious to me, they can't capture footage right, some can't see resolution difference when it's staring them in the face, others claim to see a difference where there is none. Just an absolute circus.

Piggus

Get fucked, IGN. You guys knew exactly what you were doing. And if you didn't, maybe you should start hiring people who actually do know what they're doing. Because this was a pretty stupid oversight.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So what was the problem here? IGN ran the comparison vids and sid the PS4 was at 1080p when in fact it was 720p because it was not patched yet? I don't see the huge blowout here. now did IGN confirm that the PS4 was running it natively at 1080 or just that the PS4 was spitting out a 1080p image? Big difference between the two. Plus also fuck Activsion for patching in 1080p!!
Saying it's 1080p native and doesn't look better than X1 at 720p before launch is a pretty big deal. It's downplaying the superiority by spreading misinformation before many choose their next platform.

jaypah

Games journalism has been my main source of comedic entertainment this year.

Yes, it's been hilarious. But I'm trying to figure out how this would benefit MS to the point that folks are screaming moneyhat? Is it just an uncontrollable reaction at this point? Because this would benefit Sony more than MS.

And no I don't think Sony paid for this either, that's equally stupid. I think IGN just flat out fucked up.

blazeuk

Even them admitting it sounds like they're deflecting blame from themselves - "we used non-retail development hardware". They were told it wasn't 1080p footage before that tweet and still stuck by it so the whole line about how it was now clear their old footage was lower res is laughable.

King_Moc

Banned
How the fuck can you not tell!? This seems absolutely ludicrous to me. That professionals in the videogame industry can't tell this. It's ridiculous, IGN or not.

Once again Detective GAF proves smarter than IGN or most anyone else in the games industry. This is why you trust NeoGAF for your gaming information.

Yep! Everything they admitted to being incorrect in the comparison was exactly what GAF figured out weeks ago. It took way too long for IGN to come out with this correction. But I am happy to see they've owned up to their mistake. I still can't believe they didn't realize colorblind mode was turned on.

In what measurable way does this have any impact on anything whatsoever? Especially for each and every person on this board. The answer is zero. Your lives will not be any different tomorrow because IGN erroneously reported something about our hobby for babies. In fact, your lives will also not be affected by the game running at 720p versus 1080p, because 90% of people in real life won't notice and of those that do, 99% won't give a fuck. "Mom, this game box has less p in it, this is some bullshit!" will never be uttered anywhere, and the concept is largely meaningless outside of this board. People picked their console before they knew anything about it, dug themselves into a nice defense bunker and have been spending the last few months stockpiling ammunition for the upcoming war of technological dick wagging.

Mononoke

Banned
Does not surprise me at all considering how much blatant favoritism most game sites have given MS.'

DRM Rumors confirmed - "They're not that big of a deal! Gamers will get used to them, and Sony will implement them too!"

PS4 confirms no DRM, $100 cheaper - "Well, er, uh, Xbox is still a potentially better value, still not that big a deal, uh, Titanfall?"

MS reverses DRM - "OH THANK GOD YES! You see, YOU SEE? MS does care about us!!!"

And so on...

Ryan from IGN comes to mind.

sangreal

yup

and to make matters worse, this clarification indicates that they apparently managed to convince themselves that "output resolution" and "native resolution" are the same thing. after everyone pointed out that it was 720p

ViciousDS

Banned
To be totally frank here, yeah the difference is easy to see, when looking at details on the screen. But unfortunately i can totally see why lots of journalists (in france to it seems) say "the difference wasn't that clear". When seeing the global picture, in motion.. most people wouldn't notice.

But i still think the problem is more about the 100$+ console entering into that 5-6 years generation without being able to render the first games as they should be. That's just a sign of disaster after that.

Hook the game up to a 60 inch tv and the difference is as clear as day.......I have both the X1 and the ps4 versions of ghosts and it's disgusting playing the X1 version of call of duty due to the resolutionggate.

NeoGash

And so on...

Yeah dude I get it. Totally what happened. One person says something = everybody saying the same thing.

Laughable. Most people were against DRM and blocking of used games. Weren't these the same press that gave a standing ovation during Sony's E3 when they declared they weren't implementing DRM? Or maybe you just forgot about that one.

jaypah

Saying it's 1080p native and doesn't look better than X1 at 720p before launch is a pretty big deal. It's downplaying the superiority by spreading misinformation before many choose their next platform.

Ok, this is where my confusion comes in. So IGN said that the PS4 version didn't look better than the 180 version? I thought they said it did look better despite both of them obviously running at 720p.

stuminus3

Banned
I should start my own games journalism site and hire only prolific message board posters as my staff.
That's what most games sites are, they just skipped the forum part.

Actually that's not true, I'd generally rather listen to what a prolific message board poster has to say.

Yeah dude I get it. Totally what happened. One person says something = everybody sayingsame thing.

Laughable. Most people were against DRM and blocking of used games. Weren't these the same press that gave a standing ovation during Sony's E3 when they declared they weren't implementing DRM? Or maybe you just forgot about that one.

The only person I could recognize giving a standing ovation was Hip Hop Gamer.

Nozem

In what measurable way does this have any impact on anything whatsoever? Especially for each and every person on this board. The answer is zero. Your lives will not be any different tomorrow because IGN erroneously reported something about our hobby for babies. In fact, your lives will also not be affected by the game running at 720p versus 1080p, because 90% of people in real life won't notice and of those that do, 99% won't give a fuck. "Mom, this game box has less p in it, this is some bullshit!" will never be uttered anywhere, and the concept is largely meaningless outside of this board. People picked their console before they knew anything about it, dug themselves into a nice defense bunker and have been spending the last few months stockpiling ammunition for the upcoming war of technological dick wagging.

Let me guess, you bought an Xbox One?

exactly, the masses on GAF are spotting resolution differences that these "professionals" are missing?

what the fuck are they being paid for if not to tell us about these things before we purchase them? they all totally shit the bed with the BF4 reviews too.

-griffy-

Banned
the native resolution rendered in the game itself was not 1080p for an unknown reason

"Unknown reason?" You mean how Infinity Ward confirmed the singleplayer was 720p before a patch? That "unknown reason?"

If you can't win the conventional way (by being better), leverage media bullshit, obfuscation, and incompetence to do your bidding for you!

Thanks IGN, Polygon, DF, etc. for doing your best to make sure the best version didn't win out sales-wise. It didn't' work (thankfully) but I'm sure your FUD didn't help either.

gogosox8

These last few months have been really embarrassing for gaming journalism. Its honestly hard to think of any gaming outlet or personality that hasn't lost any credibility.

Finalizer

Just reading the topic title left me laughing my ass off for a solid thirty seconds. Goddamn.

Now waiting for the apologists to start trickling in to tell us how awesome carefully tongue-bathing the gaming press' balls is and try to downplay the glaring issue.

RobbieH

Ok, this is where my confusion comes in. So IGN said that the PS4 version didn't look better than the 180 version? I thought they said it did look better despite both of them obviously running at 720p.

They said this:

IGN said:
When comparing the PS4 and Xbox One versions side-by-side, there’s little to no variation in textures and effects, but there is a discernible difference in resolution. While both are displayed at 1080p, the Xbox One version upscales the game from 720p resolution. In contrast, the PS4 version runs natively at 1080p, which makes character models, weapons, and environments look noticeably sharper and more detailed. The difference is especially apparent on larger-sized TVs, where pixel density weighs more heavily in picture quality.

antitrop

This needs to happen.

It would get absolutely zero support from publishers and PR, but there has to be a market for people that can actually convey important information in a genuine way, without the agenda driven bullshit that every major site falls prey to.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I should start my own games journalism site and hire only prolific message board posters as my staff.
Pretty sure neogaf threads cover everything you'd have in mind. The only issue is that we're serving a small audience of enthusiasts, savvy to a fault, that don't represent the broad market of people who play games. You think most people care about 720p? So when we see this and scream "moneyhat", it more than likely just them playing to their audience.

ViciousDS

Banned
Let me guess, you bought an Xbox One?

Must have, my little brother can easily tell the difference in resolution between two games. He doesn't know the full meaning of 720 and 1080 but he always asks me why one pictures looks more blurred and blocky (pixelated then the other.)

He was shocked at the difference of call of duty between the X1 and PS4.

NeoGash

The only person I could recognize giving a standing ovation was Hip Hop Gamer.

Okay, everyone sat on their lazy asses but still applauded and stopped the show because Sony decided to not f&%k us over. Talk about Stockholm syndrome (god why is that so commonly used?).

Top Bottom