• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN admits their pre-release Ghosts footage wasn't 1080p after all

sangreal

Saying it's 1080p native and doesn't look better than X1 at 720p before launch is a pretty big deal. It's downplaying the superiority by spreading misinformation before many choose their next platform.

except they said it was 1080p and does look better

Respawn

Banned
We'll find out eventually, perhaps 2-3 years down the road. Either way, the gaming press has never been trust worthy. That's why videos like Giantbomb's quicklooks or livestreams are the best way to find out whether you would like the game or not. Or just follow the game, be aware who is developing it, read an interview or two with the creative director and you should be able to make a good decision.

There is nothing to find out. The PS4 is very much more powerful. Stop holding on to this dream. I myself has even come to the realization its only going to get worst for the One when hardware specific functions in PS4 gets utilized.

These last few months have been really embarrassing for gaming journalism. Its honestly hard to think of any gaming outlet or personality that hasn't lost any credibility.

Michael Pachter and Eurogamer... IMO the only two entities leaving this unscathed.

antitrop

Pretty sure neogaf threads cover everything you'd have in mind. The only issue is that we're serving a small audience of enthusiasts, savvy to a fault, that don't represent the broad market of people who play games. You think most people care about 720p? So when we see this and scream "moneyhat", it more than likely just them playing to their audience.

And thank fucking God for NeoGAF.

hesido

As a fan of frames per sec over resolution, countless times I said I preferred 720p60fps over 1080p30fps. That said, 720p has to have some decent AA.

I watched the videos on a 900p monitor, and while the image quality difference wasn't massive, the edge crawl was a big let down on the Xbox One.

As long as 1080p plays at 60fps, I'm all for higher resolution!

RaikuHebi

Banned
Fuck IGN.
Fuck Polygon.
Fuck Digital Foundry.

Fuck 'em all for spreading false news to get those early hits/revenue.
bth_lawd_baby.gif

Alienous

Wow. So they were both running in 720p but they literally said the PS4 was obviously running in 1080p. That is fucking hilarious. Also, again, how would this be a MS moneyhat?

I guess their videos could have been used as point of comparison. "I can't see the difference, therefore it doesn't really matter". In actual fact, there wasn't one in terms of rendered resolution.

So, being hailed as "Well, the difference isn't obvious" they might have been under pressure to not correct their videos, and therefore divert attention back to the fact that the PS4 version of Ghosts looks superior.

NeoGash

Wow. So they were both running in 720p but they literally said the PS4 was obviously running in 1080p. That is fucking hilarious. Also, again, how would this be a MS moneyhat?

Because...I don't even know anymore. People should take a 'looney' test before coming to the internet. It isn't even funny, it is depressing how so many human beings could believe utter horse crap. If someone presents evidence or voices an opinion refuting theirs, it conveniently gets ignored and the circle-jerk continues.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ok, this is where my confusion comes in. So IGN said that the PS4 version didn't look better than the 180 version? I thought they said it did look better despite both of them obviously running at 720p.

I think that's naive of you. It's not the written article that gets spread through Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and other sites.

Nymphae

Banned
It would get absolutely zero support from publishers and PR, but there has to be a market for people that can actually convey important information in a genuine way, without the agenda driven bullshit that every major site falls prey to.

Who needs publisher and PR support? I mean that seriously. Don't need review copies thanks, don't need invites to events, etc. The staff would buy and evaluate everything themselves, just as a consumer would. Quality writing would eventually make the site a hit I think.

But yeah, this:

Pretty sure neogaf threads cover everything you'd have in mind.

The comments on the article...good lord. It's silly for console gamers to boast about having better graphics, but to outright ignore the evidence and call people fanboys for things that are factually true...come on. i know this forum has a reputation for being "pro-sony" but shit, even the proud Xbox One owners on here can admit there is a clear difference between the two. People defending their precious consoles are ridiculous.

Whether or not the differences truly matter however, that's a different conversation. But at least acknowledge it's there.

Respawn

Banned

Give it a rest already. I know you're here to defend. Nothing to defend so let it go.

jaypah

I think that's naive of you. It's not the written article that gets spread through Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and other sites.

Ok, sorry I guess.

Give it a rest already. I know you're here to defend. Nothing to defend so let it go.

Defend what? I asked a simple question because people were screaming "moneyhatz" and I wasn't understanding why. Gribble put it in perspective for me. I think you might be barking up the wrong tree...

Okay, everyone sat on their lazy asses but still applauded and stopped the show because Sony decided to not f&%k us over. Talk about Stockholm syndrome (god why is that so commonly used?).

Really, when much of the pressure to go to DRM was coming from the major publishers themselves?

I imagine that Sony must have at least been nervous that those publishers would skip over or gimp their games on Sony's platform with the more gamer-centric stance they took from a policy perspective.

You have to realize that the world and markets are dynamic places and things don't always turn out to be in the consumer's favor (especially since competition is rather limited).

Does not surprise me at all considering how much blatant favoritism most game sites have given MS.'

Sony PS4 reveal in Feb: "Mediocre, MS wont have to do much to beat it"

Xbox DRM Rumors - "Completely untrue! MS would never do this"

DRM Rumors confirmed - "They're not that big of a deal! Gamers will get used to them, and Sony will implement them too!"

PS4 confirms no DRM, $100 cheaper - "Well, er, uh, Xbox is still a potentially better value, still not that big a deal, uh, Titanfall?"

MS reverses DRM - "OH THANK GOD YES! You see, YOU SEE? MS does care about us!!!"

And so on...

This is a very compelling example of why this whole "War" started in the first place.

NeoGash

Really, when much of the pressure to go to DRM was coming from the major publishers themselves?

I imagine that Sony must have at least been nervous that those publishers would skip over or gimp their games on Sony's platform with the more gamer-centric stance they took from a policy perspective.

You have to realize that the world and markets are dynamic places and things don't always turn out to be in the consumer's favor (especially since competition is rather limited).

Where is this pressure? Publishers seem pretty damn fine developing for it and praising it. My point was that this guy is claiming all journalists were in favour of Microsoft (which is bullshit) despite the same gaming press tearing the house down with applause during the Sony E3 presentation. Why don't you start calling out the people with conspiracy theories instead? Though I suppose there are too many of them.

Faddy

Banned
So they had footage of the game running at 720p for both consoles but concluded that the PS4 version was 1080p and looked better?

PS4 multiplayer was always 1080p so they could make judgments off that I guess. But their comparison video using single player footage was hilarious. The words just don't match the footage.

Does not surprise me at all considering how much blatant favoritism most game sites have given MS.'

Sony PS4 reveal in Feb: "Mediocre, MS wont have to do much to beat it"

Xbox DRM Rumors - "Completely untrue! MS would never do this"

DRM Rumors confirmed - "They're not that big of a deal! Gamers will get used to them, and Sony will implement them too!"

PS4 confirms no DRM, $100 cheaper - "Well, er, uh, Xbox is still a potentially better value, still not that big a deal, uh, Titanfall?"

MS reverses DRM - "OH THANK GOD YES! You see, YOU SEE? MS does care about us!!!"

And so on...

Spot on. Don't forget to whole.

Sony sells a million but don't look into that, it's all about long term success. Like ugh, Sony really is the one not getting good news. It's always hamstrung by some dumbass obvious shit.

inky

LOL, what a bunch of jokers. Just as funny as Polygon changing the battlefield score now.

They are the fucking marketing arm of these companies and they are absolutely shameless about it. I guess their stupid audience deserves to be lied to by these people.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Even them admitting it sounds like they're deflecting blame from themselves - "we used non-retail development hardware". They were told it wasn't 1080p footage before that tweet and still stuck by it so the whole line about how it was now clear their old footage was lower res is laughable.
I assume they "confirmed" the 1080p source by hitting the info button on their monitor. It said 1080 so they thought they were capturing 1080p from a 1080p source.

Schrade

Doesn't this suggest a PS4 bias, not an xbox one bias?

Not really. Sounds like they were going by what they heard and not what they were looking at though. They're not technical enough to recognize the difference, I guess.

The example they showed with their video comparison supported Microsoft's PR line of "See, there's not that big of a difference!" that so many repeated ad nauseum.

That's not good "journalism".

BearPawB

Banned
Not really. Sounds like they were going by what they heard and not what they were looking at though. They're not technical enough to recognize the difference, I guess.

The example they showed with their video comparison supported Microsoft's PR line of "See, there's not that big of a difference!" that so many repeated ad nauseum.

That's not good "journalism".

Oh, i hadn't seen the initial video. others in the thread said they they said the PS4 version was clearly 1080p and looked better. Gotcha

Footage into a video editing software is weird, they probably created a 720 progressive scan project instead of using a 1080 project and just up scaling the XBO footage.

You know one version of a game is far superior when there's such a big difference on IGN's shitty player. Also funny it took them that long to backpedal.

Top Bottom