• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN admits their pre-release Ghosts footage wasn't 1080p after all

OverHeat

« generous god »
This resolution crap is such manufactured outrage.

It means fuck-all when it comes to a game being good or not. A lot of pretend it's all that matters, but honestly if that were the case I wouldn't be playing on the Wii U, on my 3DS, on the Vita, my 360.. whatever.

We all know, the PS4 is stronger. Who gives a shit really. The PS4 still get's stomped by PC. Yet.. here I was today playing on a Wii U.

Someone tell me how the fuck I was enjoying the Super Mario 3D World with it's horrible 720p and slide-show-amirite-30 FPS?

Oh, because it doesn't really freaking matter.

It matter I have both version ( ONE and PS4) and guess what version Im playing...

KoopaTheCasual

It means fuck-all when it comes to a game being good or not. A lot of pretend it's all that matters, but honestly if that were the case I wouldn't be playing on the Wii U, on my 3DS, on the Vita, my 360.. whatever.

We all know, the PS4 is stronger. Who gives a shit really. The PS4 still get's stomped by PC. Yet.. here I was today playing on a Wii U.

Someone tell me how the fuck I was enjoying the Super Mario 3D World with it's horrible 720p and slide-show-amirite-30 FPS?

NervousXtian
I'm an idiot
(Today, 10:16 PM)

You really set yourself up for that one.

sol_bad

People still missing the point.
Publications were always happy to point out that X360 games looked better than PS3 games or vice versa. This was with smaller gaps between versions too.

NeoGash

It does matter though...

If people are playing on one system, why shouldn't they be informed that the cheaper console will perform better? For those who have both consoles, why wouldn't they want to know this information so they can buy the better version? This argument would make sense if both consoles only had exclusive games to their system, but they do not. If Microsoft had the more powerful console, they would be touting it, you can bet on it. Unfortunately for them they don't.

A lot of consumers don't know the difference between the two, and I think they deserve to know. Obviously using hyperbole to say one version is completely crap is a bit misguided, but if I were a consumer I'd love to know that I can get something for cheaper that will also 'work better'.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
NervousXtian
I'm an idiot
(Today, 10:16 PM)

You really set yourself up for that one.

You're real original, never had that done before... bravo captain.

..but anyhow tell me how I'm wrong. Resolution is a manufactured problem that mean's fuck all to actually really enjoying a game.

..and I'll say it.. if resolution ruins your enjoyment of a game then I think you're full of shit. Because tell me how ever play a game on Vita, 3DS, or any past system ever and had fun.

i-Lo

You're real original, never had that done before... bravo captain.

..but anyhow tell me how I'm wrong. Resolution is a manufactured problem that mean's fuck all to actually really enjoying a game.

..and I'll say it.. if resolution ruins your enjoyment of a game then I think you're full of shit. Because tell me how ever play a game on Vita, 3DS, or any past system ever and had fun.

Save the fact that it:

1. May become a detriment to actual gameplay when people have had played the better version of the game on a cheaper system.
2. Makes a person wonder why he/she must pay the same price for the lesser version of the game.

NervousXtian

People still missing the point.
Publications were always happy to point out that X360 games looked better than PS3 games or vice versa. This was with smaller gaps between versions too.

..and they still will going forward this generation. It's a guarantee the PS4 version will look better.

I own neither console yet, as there's nothing out on either worth making the investment.. but I'll make the same choice on multi-platforms when I do based on the controller I like most.

Save the fact that it:

1. May become a detriment to actual gameplay when people have had played the better version of the game on a cheaper system.
2. Makes a person wonder why he/she must pay the same price for the lesser version of the game.

I really don't think it matters that much. Those pixelly PS4/XBO comparison GIFs show exactly how GAF wants people to think the difference is.. when it reality most people will be happy with either version.

If someone bought a XBO, there's no reason to look down on them. It's not your money. Why do you care so much all of a sudden how others spend their money?

I've never seen so many people that genuinely care how people spend their own money.

If anyone wants to know which system is stronger, it's out there.. oh.. and on those SAME gaming sites being accused of bias... clearly stating which machine is more powerful.

While they are tremendous fuck ups, this is not really in XB1's favor, all this means is when IGN was claiming that the games look indistinguishable they were not lying since both were running in the same resolution, and post launch patch to make the games true 1080p obviously put the PS4 as the better looking version (which is what was being said from the get go).

i-Lo

I really don't think it matters that much. Those pixelly PS4/XBO comparison GIFs show exactly how GAF wants people to think the difference is.. when it reality most people will be happy with either version.

If someone bought a XBO, there's no reason to look down on them. It's not your money. Why do you care so much all of a sudden how others spend their money?

I've never seen so many people that genuinely care how people spend their own money.

If anyone wants to know which system is stronger, it's out there.. oh.. and on those SAME gaming sites being accused of bias... clearly stating which machine is more powerful.

Firstly, refrain from twisting my words because you excel at it.

Secondly, I have said nothing about looking down on xbone owners (wtf?).

Thirdly, as a fair few PS3 only owners got shafted when it came to multiplatform games, this has been raised as a legitimate question. Or for that matter why even buy a PS3 for multiplatform games. I don't think there is any reason to get bent out of shape if the roles are now reversed.

Fourthly, regardless of how you paint gaffers and/or sites, objective data reveals a difference in power. It's the manifestation that are being reflected in these releases. Either that or just nascent dev tools aren't up to expected standard.

It's about NATIVE resolution. when I play DS games on my 3DS I play them 1:1 rather than scaled to fill the screen. I prefer Vita games that are native resolution. Wii U games that are 1080p (like Wind Waker) look amazing. same for 1080p Xbox One games.

If you have a 1080p TV, the difference between 1080p and not 1080p is major. if you love how DS games look full screen on a 3DS, you and I are not the same.

and 3D World is 60 fps. but whatever. you only really prove your inability to appreciate such differences with comments like that.

Finalizer

hahaohwow.jpg

Okay, so this may come as a surprise to you, but there are, in fact, some people who care about the hardware they're using. As a PC gamer, I don't settle for some godawful on-board video capabilities of my motherboard, I do a bit of research over various video cards within my price range and pick something based on its bang-for-the-buck. It's just common damn sense - you shell out hundreds of bucks for something, you damn well better get the best you can.

So for the upcoming consoles, we have two systems that play the same software at different performance levels. The system with the lower asking price plays them better. That's a pretty damn sticking point in my book, but hey, maybe some folks really just prefer the Xbox platform for whatever reason, fine. If that's all it was, that'd be it.

But that wasn't all it was. What we got from the so-called games journalists was bullshit left and right - from Leadbetter playing MS mouthpiece to several journalists downplaying the blatantly fucking obvious difference in visual quality of resolution difference (for fuck's sake, when I was a kid playing around in the options in Mechwarrior 2 it was pretty obvious to me that the bigger numbers made it look better!), to several outlets concocting the most nonsensical "hardware comparisons" to further personally muddy the waters. The whole IGN fiasco where GAF posters could tell the resolution error of footage that IGN, an outlet with individuals who do this shit for a paycheck, completely missed and insisted until now was what they thought it was, has all just been a delicious icing on a shit-cake.

And it never really needed to come to this. Months ago, it was glaringly obvious that the hardware disparity would come to this. That games would have a difference in performance if devs really pushed the systems. MS reps themselves had publicly stated "we didn't target the highest level" (or however they worded it, I'm sure you can dig up the quote), and that much was obvious. It could have been left at that. Yet Penello stuck his head out and insisted "we'd never give 30% to the competition." Instead of some proper investigative journalism, we get the circus I outlined before. And here we are, in the aftermath, where reality goes its course and common sense prevails, where the more powerful system indeed has better looking games after all. If all that dirt had never been kicked up in the first place, this whole ordeal would've never been. Yet here we are.

In a way, it's not so much about the power/resolution disparity in itself anymore as it is the irritation from all the bullshit. Don't try to fool me into believing there's no hardware disparity. Don't try to tell me the difference between 720p, 900p, 1080p, whatever is barely noticeable. Don't demand that I submit to the idea that "no one cares about this stuff" and neither should I. (Evidently, the hardcore gamers do - the segment that, ya know, buys new consoles at launch, wouldn't ya know it) Report the fucking facts, and let me, the consumer, make my own judgements. And most of all, stop taking me for a damn fool.

[/shitty rant]

Kru

Gameplay doesnt matter when it's the same game across different platforms.

Say Battlefield 5 releases two copies on the Xbox one, (yes as in two different version on the same console) one is 1080p and the other is 720p, both are the same price, both are technically identical from a gameplay perspective, graphically one is superior however.

Are you saying you are having a hard time picking one over the other, knowing one is producing a much clearer image, with over twice the pixel count?

Say Battlefield 5 releases two copies on the Xbox one, (yes as in two different version on the same console) one is 1080p and the other is 720p, both are the same price, both are technically identical from a gameplay perspective, graphically one is superior however.

Are you saying you are having a hard time picking one over the other, knowing one is producing a much clearer image, with over twice the pixel count?

in that scenario one of the two games would play better also. let's not forget that.

viveks86

What rubbish is this? By your brilliant logic, technology doesn't have to improve at all. I was happy playing king's quest in 1988 and I enjoyed every bit of it. So why make any progress? Heck, my mother was happy playing hopscotch. So why have video games at all? It all means fuck-all, right?

People have every right to complain if what they are paying for right now isn't measuring up to the standards already set by HDTVs a long time ago. If you really don't give a fuck, then why bother posting here? Trying to enlighten the masses with your infinite wisdom eh?

Bigbillybeef

Neo Member

It matters.

And SM3DW is 60 fps.

I'm sure I heard it was 1080p too, but apparently it's up-scaled 720p. Shame really, but I guess it's the best case for your argument, as it still looks great. However, given the choice, if you could get it in 1080p for the same price, you would right?

KingFire

Banned

Nintendo games rely on something called "gameplay." It is so good that graphics don't matter anymore.

Let's not kid ourselves. I'm neutral, but I don't like seeing it when a large amount of people ruin so many threads on a daily basis and keep spreading bullcrap. I'm sure the majority of people want to have a nice discussion like me, but I'd also be sure that they avoid posting altogether in some threads to avoid getting eaten alive or sucked into the tornado. I don't like any fanboys, I just accept that some people are pathetic and insecure and move on, but when there are quite a large amount of them that drown out rational and logical discussion that is when I get pissed off. I'd be saying the same thing for Xbox, PC and Nintendo fanboys but luckily it is on a much, much smaller scale. I mean, they might spread some FUD but at least I don't see them constantly acting as if their system of choice is under attack from the media.

All I'm asking is for people to go into ONE damn thread without accusing someone of bias, because it derails the thread and all of the loons crawl out from beneath the woodwork.

EDIT. OMG, wow. I don't like doing this, but dude, half of your posts are going into Xbox articles and talking crap. You only list a PSN ID as well. My post was attacking only the large amount of fanboys, not fans. I'm a PlayStation fan, I think the Uncharted games are the best games this generation, but I will call out any large group of people that I see is detrimental to a good discussion. If you look at my post history you will see even criticism and praise for any company/platform (I actually criticise MS more than anyone else). The only people who should have been offended by my post are those who know who they are, as I didn't name any names.

So, do you know who you are?

On Polygon;

Yeah, just answered my own question. You are one of those people who calls bias... Who would have thought with a post history like that? ..... -_-

Wow dude you are reaching, but I love it, and I'm flattered. I have been both critical and positive about Xbox.... because they have given me reasons to voice my opinions both ways......

Lol, that last quote of mine had to do with Polygon knocking the PS4 review score because of the launch lineup, which they did.....I assumed the Xbox reviews would be positive since its launch lineup had no effect on its hardware reviews like it did for PS4.

But you are just heading at straws. That quote of mine didn't even mention bias, you are adding that. And I said you were approaching the hive by complaining about the anti Xbox posts, saying credible sources for PS4 fans are official PlayStation magazines, as if it doesn't work both ways.....

I still have no idea what you are even trying to prove cause you claiming I think Polygon is biased has nothing to do with you creating your Gaf is pro Sony post....but good job I guess......

NervousXtian

If given the choice, no shit 1080p.

That said, if no choice.. I don't really care. Games can look great at different resolutions. Is 1080p preferred.. fuck yeah. Does it mean it looks like shit at 900p.. or 720p? Not at all.

You know, it's perfectly okay to say "1080p is preferable over 720p when playing a video game". You should try it.

viveks86

If given the choice, no shit 1080p.

That said, if no choice.. I don't really care. Games can look great at different resolutions. Is 1080p preferred.. fuck yeah. Does it mean it looks like shit at 900p.. or 720p? Not at all.

Since the OP is about COD Ghosts, you do have a choice for 1080p. So do you, or don't you care? If you do care, your second statement is invalid. If you don't care, then your first statement is invalid. Take your pick.

NeoGash

Wow dude you are reaching, but I love it, and I'm flattered. I have been both critical and positive about Xbox.... because they have given me reasons to voice my opinions both ways......

Lol, that last quote of mine had to do with Polygon knocking the PS4 review score because of the launch lineup, which they did.....I assumed the Xbox reviews would be positive since its launch lineup had no effect on its hardware reviews like it did for PS4.

But you are just heading at straws. That quote of mine didn't even mention bias, you are adding that. And I said you were approaching the hive by complaining about the anti Xbox posts, saying credible sources for PS4 fans are official PlayStation magazines, as if it doesn't work both ways.....

I still have no idea what you are even trying to prove cause you claiming I think Polygon is biased has nothing to do with you creating your Gaf is pro Sony post....but good job I guess......

So I guess Polygon prefers Call of Duty Ghosts to Killzone?
Or do they follow the "different reviewers different scores you cannot compare them" moto???
Honestly, the guys at Polygon are smart. They know what they are doing.

Nope, I bet their Xbox One Live Stream will be like a freaking episode of Price is Right. Everyone will be jumping around, going crazy, chest bumping, screaming, hugging. I bet we will also hear something to the affect of how futuristic it is.

Seriously there is much more. ANYONE can read you post history and it is a f'ing joke. You are the biggest concern troll I have ever seen. You can't lie your way out either, your post history is there for anyone to see. Anyone. My whole point is that this constant accusations of bias are almost always without merit, and that it is mostly PS fanboys (not fans) doing this. As it turns out, your post history is a testament to this. You concern troll and post negative information in basically every Xbox thread; you are quick to defend anything in a Playstation thread; you also only list a PSN ID; and you are guilty of the bias calling I was voicing against in my original comment that only you replied to.

I implore anyone to read your post history. It is very, very sad. Are you lying or do you actually believe you don't do this stuff? You should just walk away, as you have been called out and there is a mass of evidence in your post history to support my claims. Most tragic case I have personally ever seen. That is not to say I don't like you as a person, but some of the things you say should be a bit more balanced.

EDIT: Finally, I'd just like to ask why you go into Xbox threads to begin with if it is just to spread negative information? If you are a PlayStation only gamer, wouldn't it be better to stick to what you like? It is quite clear you have no interest in the Xbox platform, so I'd suggest just ignoring it.

NervousXtian

Since the OP is about COD Ghosts, you do have a choice for 1080p. So do you, or don't you care? If you do care, your second statement is invalid. If you don't care, then your first statement is invalid. Take your pick.

Let me put it this way.

I don't care enough to make the choice based on resolution. If I did I'd buy it on PC (yeah it's fucked, but still better res than other choices).

Yet I'll still play a game on a system that is has the controller I prefer and yes comfy couch. I've hooked my PC up to my TV, but I typically place consoles on it.

So I got Ghosts on the 360, and pretty much just play local MP with my kid.

Because in the end, it didn't matter. To me.

gtj1092

Seriously there is much more. ANYONE can read you post history and it is a f'ing joke. You are the biggest concern troll I have ever seen. You can't lie your way out either, your post history is there for anyone to see. Anyone. My whole point is that this constant accusations of bias are almost always without merit, and that it is mostly PS fanboys (not fans) doing this. As it turns out, your post history is a testament to this. You concern troll and post negative information in basically every Xbox thread; you are quick to defend anything in a Playstation thread; you also only list a PSN ID; and you are guilty of the bias calling I was voicing against in my original comment that only you replied to.

I implore anyone to read your post history. It is very, very sad. Are you lying or do you actually believe you don't do this stuff? You should just walk away, as you have been called out and there is a mass of evidence in your post history to support my claims. Most tragic case I have personally ever seen. That is not to say I don't like you as a person, but some of the things you say should be a bit more balanced.

EDIT: Finally, I'd just like to ask why you go into Xbox threads to begin with if it is just to spread negative information? If you are a PlayStation only gamer, wouldn't it be better to stick to what you like? It is quite clear you have no interest in the Xbox platform, so I'd suggest just ignoring it.

Um nintendo fans not only accuse websites and magazines of being biased but the entire industry so I don't know where you are going with this attack on PSfanboys. Xbox fans accuse Gaf of being biased. All fans accuse anyone who isn't following the company line of being biased. I think most people and rightly so are just confused when journalist cared about resolution and graphical differences last generation and now they aren't that important. Anytime people do a 180 it's going to get some attention. It's why flip flops in politics are always such big news.

NeoROCK

While they are tremendous fuck ups, this is not really in XB1's favor, all this means is when IGN was claiming that the games look indistinguishable they were not lying since both were running in the same resolution, and post launch patch to make the games true 1080p obviously put the PS4 as the better looking version (which is what was being said from the get go).

The question is how could they make such a bad mistake in the first place?

and why did it take them so long to figure it out and correct themselves?

I just have no words. Your post is a perfect example of Projection, for all of our Psychology Studying Friends. Projecting your problems (your bias, your hivemind mentality) on others to somehow reject your own issues, and make some poorly structured point or argument. I must give you credit for using it so well. The bolded point above,from YOURSELF, who posted about GAF being PRO Sony, and using Playstation Magazine as a credible source of valid information. You brought this whole thing up, you brought up that there was a Sony bias on GAF, then you start calling me out for saying Polygon may be bias (which I never even used those terms, but whatever).

For you to get so worked up, cursing, whining, raging, over one post of mine, is so ridiculous. For someone like yourself, who has been on Gaf for 2 whole months to act like this, is pretty embarassing. Dear god, you grouped Gaf into this big Pro PS4 group, that thinks Playstation Magazine is a valid source for everything, and I said you were "approaching" the hive mind mentality, and you go crazy. The fact you are so defensive tells me all I need to know.. I dont go into every Xbox Threads "spreading negative information." I call it like I see it. I dont even know what you mean, so I am sorry I cannot give you a better explanation so your feelings are not hurt so bad.

You can respond to this, you can go Post History Research Project again (I'm flattered you have the time to pull up posts of mine from several weeks ago, I wish I had that kinda time in my life to waste), you can go ahead and curse and yell some more, whine and complain, and I will not respond. I dont have time to waste on ignorance and immaturity. Maybe we can talk some more when you want to act like an adult.

NervousXtian

To you. To others, it does.

/endofargument.

..and a lot of people want to say it matters. Especially in threads where people act disgusted by people who act like resolution isn't the biggest most important thing with gaming.

So I ask, why such a snarky ass response to my opinion? Oh.. because you don't agree. Gotcha. Yeah, I know all the cool kids these days act like 1080p is the only thing important to gaming.

Chobel

manhack

It matters because we are comparing the same game on different systems. If there is a difference in performance and/or quality between the 2 systems it matters to me that I go with the best experience for me.

NervousXtian

Sure I guess, but then if you're on a different system it's all on equal terms. I've already said the PS4 is the stronger system. I also don't think the visual difference would be enough if I preferred one controller over the other. Whenever I get both consoles it'll be for exclusives.. PS4 whenever ND releases something again, and XBO whenever Titanfall hits unless the PC version is not just a shoddy port.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Just to let you know, what you are doing is meta-posting and is liable to be banned. If you are going to pull out a quote that directly contradicts something said earlier, go ahead. However, cherry picking quotes from his post history that doesn't agree with your point of view is just silly as is throwing around accusations of fanboy. As for IDs in our profiles, I have a SN for Xbox Live, PSN, and a 3DS friendcode however, I didn't put them in there. Does that make me a fanboy as well? Think before you post please.

Top Bottom