• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN admits their pre-release Ghosts footage wasn't 1080p after all

demolitio

IGN: "You can see this difference more clearly in this new video."

Wait, so that would be a place admitting you can see the resolution differences? I thought I wasn't going to notice unless I sit right on top of my TV?

People can debate whether or not resolution matters to people, but the idea that some people and even some journalists have argued that the resolution differences aren't noticeable is what makes me laugh. Why bother comparing the two if you're incapable of doing so? Some places should come clean at some point or another, but integrity and accountability seem to be rare commodities these days in the industry.

It's just so weird that we've went from resolution mattering last generation with more miniscule differences to either not being discernible today even though the differences are even larger or not being worthy of a discussion because people won't care. You thought people cared last generation (plenty did) yet now they don't? It's especially important early in a console's life-cycle because people are still making up their minds and won't be entrenched in one console's ecosystem so much that they'll have no choice but to not care.

Definitely not crying myself to sleep over it...It just boggles my mind how we go back and forth on what matters or not depending on who's in the better position or who the journalist prefers. Some genuinely won't care about resolution, but their job is to inform people if they're reviewing it, especially if they're the ones that compare the two.

Not everyone will care about resolution in the end, but it's disingenuous to do what some sites have done. Reviews have always been subjective obviously, but when we turn objective facts into subjective commentary, there's a problem.

Everyone puts shit on polygon, but at least they reported what they saw (no noticeable difference in resolution) and not what they think they saw (ie ign saying the difference is noticeable when the res was the same).

At least they know what they are looking at, ign have no rocking idea.
I remember everyone slamming polygon over their comments, I say well done for picking the lower rest when all signs were saying it'd be 1080p.

But Polygon KNEW before that it should have been 1080p for PS4 and 720p for X1. So why didn't they check the resolution when they looked the same? Why did they instead say that there is "no difference" between 1080p and 720p?

Fewr

Does not surprise me at all considering how much blatant favoritism most game sites have given MS.'

Sony PS4 reveal in Feb: "Mediocre, MS wont have to do much to beat it"

Xbox DRM Rumors - "Completely untrue! MS would never do this"

DRM Rumors confirmed - "They're not that big of a deal! Gamers will get used to them, and Sony will implement them too!"

PS4 confirms no DRM, $100 cheaper - "Well, er, uh, Xbox is still a potentially better value, still not that big a deal, uh, Titanfall?"

MS reverses DRM - "OH THANK GOD YES! You see, YOU SEE? MS does care about us!!!"

And so on...
Sigh.. true.
These ppl are a joke. These are not journalists, they're just outsourced pr. Why can't we have more unbiased sources? Sigh

foxbeldin

Does anyone care about games anymore?
And this whole hang up with resolution... Honestly I wish this whole generation was 720p. I dare anyone to find any game that looks as good as a 720p bluray. You wont find a single one. How about any game that looks as good as a film in 480p? Again you wont find one.

That's just plain wrong. Movies are downsampled from reality.
It's like saying 24fps are enough because bluray movies are 24fps...

Raist

Banned
And this whole hang up with resolution... Honestly I wish this whole generation was 720p. I dare anyone to find any game that looks as good as a 720p bluray. You wont find a single one. How about any game that looks as good as a film in 480p? Again you wont find one.

Resolution is a false god, always has been. Just go take a look at the hires PC screenshot thread. So many terrible looking pin sharp images. If that extra processing power was spent on more filters, effects and higher detail the games would look so much better.

I can't tell if you're serious or if this is a parody.

NeoGash

Sigh.. true.
These ppl are a joke. These are not journalists, they're just outsourced pr. Why can't we have more unbiased sources? Sigh

Because a lot of people's ideas in this thread of an "unbiased source" would be;
1. Official Playstation Magazine.
2. Official Playstation Magazine V2.
3. Official Playstation Magazine V3.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
X infinity.

Read through this thread and tell me I'm wrong. It's ridiculous. As soon as a website isn't kissing Sony's ass, they are on the MS payroll. I never EVER see Nintendo, PC and Xbox gamers complain about biased media more than those from the Sony camp. You can deny it all you like, but that is what I see every day on the internet. If someone is calling a website or individual biased, I know 99% of the time I can be sure that it is a Playstation gamer. I'm not saying all are like this, as I'm a Playstation gamer and love the games, but sometimes I think people try and ignore the elephant in the room, and we are left with countless threads that have gone to shit. I'm not defending fanboys from other camps, just pointing out what I see is a bigger problem. As I said, read the conspiracy stuff in this thread. Laughable.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not hive-minding GAF, I'm just saying that there are a lot of people, a vocal mimority one could hope, who are in every thread spreading FUD.
While I wait for my lashings, I'd just like to point out that I am calling out people who are calling out websites for no real reason. I am calling out the various conspiracy theories and 'bias' accusations which are evident in this thread, whereas there is no real evidence of bias from these websites being accused'of such.
Sorry for those in here that wanted a nice discussion. I just couldh't help but speak out, as it has been bothering me a bit.

The bigger issue question is "Is this just a rushed launch or will Xbox One continue to see lower resolution games?" Because if this is a generation long issue, then it really is an issue.

Raist

Banned
The bigger issue question is "Is this just a rushed launch or will Xbox One continue to see lower resolution games?" Because if this is a generation long issue, then it really is an issue.

I guess we'll have to see what happens with gen 2 multiplats. So, next CoD?

foxbeldin

Probably a gen long issue, but not 720 vs 1080p gap like in COD. They just fucked up this one.

I can see 900p/1080p lasting though, considering the ROPS and eSRAM size.

QaaQer

Sigh.. true.

People expect journalism to be free, hence dying newspapers and out of work reporters desperately seeking jobs in PR.

Corto

IGN may or may not be a good site, its a moot point. You should only be concerned about whether a site can tell you how much you would enjoy playing a game. But this has long ago taken a back seat to telling you which irrelevant technical detail is better on some scale to another.

Resolution is a false god, always has been. Just go take a look at the hires PC screenshot thread. So many terrible looking pin sharp images. If that extra processing power was spent on more filters, effects and higher detail the games would look so much better.

What an absurd post. It's because people care about games that we want to know what version is better looking and better performing. There's nothing more straightforward than that. Your kind of post is completely disingenuous as these parameters when we talk of the exact same game are the only factors that can determine which version is the best one. Which game is the best. You care about games? You then must care about that.

kitch9

Banned

IGN may or may not be a good site, its a moot point. You should only be concerned about whether a site can tell you how much you would enjoy playing a game. But this has long ago taken a back seat to telling you which irrelevant technical detail is better on some scale to another.

I'll bet you wish you had one clue about the subject you are trying to talk about.

I'm not sure what you said has anything to do with 720p games looking like a muddy highly alaised over sharpened mess on a 1080p screen? Why wouldn't people pay less, have the same amount of "fun" and not have to look at that complete shite image whilst pretending they are having fun through gritted teeth?

Sites absolutely should explain which has the best asthetics, especially when you consider that detail is lost when you are trying to aim at a pixelated blur in the distance on one machine and not another.

Authority

Banned
IGN admitting? That calls for a celebration.

WoGxMzm.png

To Mountain Dew!

Fistwell

I see a brilliant career as a game journalist in your future.

R3TRODYCE

Ryse says otherwise. Personally I think it is telling that the best looking game of the next generation is the 900p one.

Agreed, I had my ps4 at launch so a full week before my xb1 obviously and I went through KZSF and thought it looked great aside from bad rain effects and a couple meh textures, then I played NFSR on ps4 which blew me away; But Ryse is in another league, I never thought that after all this resolution talk that the best looking next generation game would be 900p lmao but with that said I'm happy I sprung for both consoles.

orioto

Good Art™
Agreed, I had my ps4 at launch so a full week before my xb1 obviously and I went through KZSF and thought it looked great aside from bad rain effects and a couple meh textures, then I played NFSR on ps4 which blew me away; But Ryse is in another league, I never thought that after all this resolution talk that the best looking next generation game would be 900p lmao but with that said I'm happy I sprung for both consoles.

That Ryse has the best production value/assets, even post proceessing maybe, doesn't make him the most sharp. It works for that type of linear game with big guys on the screen, not for a fps. Just stating, "oh Ryse is beautiful, then 900p is the way to go" is ridiculous.

And still.. This is a bad excuse to be happy about xbo power problems. if Rise was a multi title it wouldl look better on PS4 as anything else.

That there are different games on each consoles with different choices / budget / art direction / skills has nothing to do with how both consoles will compare for games in the 5 next years.

R3TRODYCE

And still.. This is a bad excuse to be happy about xbo power problems. if Rise was a multi title it wouldl look better on PS4 as anything else.

That there are different games on each consoles with different choices / budget / art direction / skills has nothing to do with how both consoles will compare for games in the 5 next years.

What are you rambling about?

The resolution difference is nice in ghosts, but I feel like I'm the only person that doesn't care so much. The game looks like garbo with it's texture quality. BF4 or KZ looks much much nicer.

I don't know whether it's the devs/publishers of these games who are to blame.

Both PS4 COD and BF4 single player were 720p at their 'review events' weren't they? And Eurogamer weren't allowed to do a tech analysis of the XB1 BF4 multiplayer just before release for some reason.

It strikes me as probable that MS arranged some kind of deal here to not make their versions of multi-plat games look poorer in comparison.

stryke

I don't know whether it's the devs/publishers of these games who are to blame.

Both PS4 COD and BF4 single player were 720p at their 'review events' weren't they? And Eurogamer weren't allowed to do a tech analysis of the XB1 BF4 multiplayer just before release for some reason.

It strikes me as probable that MS arranged some kind of deal here to not make their versions of multi-plat games look poorer in comparison.

Ps4 Bf4 was 900p at the review event.

Roland1979

Is it possible they turned on colorblind mode to somehow compensate for the darkening filter on the XB1 (or was i mistaken that colorblind also made a lot a bit brighter/lighter in color, or certain colors)?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I know GAF is very different, but if you showed these to people who play games but don't think too hard about it, they'd shrug their shoulders and wonder what difference it makes. And these websites know this, because that's who they're writing for. I prefer 1080 all the way, but there needs to be an acceptance that there's a vast swath of people who don't even notice stuff like this, and that is okay for the mainstream press to acknowledge.

Why? Wouldn't it be better for that same media to point it out like they ended up doing? Or basically continue what they did during the 360/PS3 era is always letting their readers and viewers know that the 360 version of many 3rd party games were better.

Orca

Gemüsepizza;92349418 said:
But Polygon KNEW before that it should have been 1080p for PS4 and 720p for X1. So why didn't they check the resolution when they looked the same? Why did they instead say that there is "no difference" between 1080p and 720p?
I believe they asked the IW rep and were told it was 1080p native, so that's why they questioned the value of it since there was - literally as it turns out - no visible difference. They even had the 'well I guess it looks better if they say so' factor in there.

I still don't know, aside the general 'pile on polygon' attitude that infests the place lately, why people here are still attacking polygon and giving sites that claimed they saw a clear difference a pass. Those were the ones that were wrong, after all.

Maybe I'm alone here. I don't know. I just don't see why people are holding up this terrible game as a judge of any consoles. Even if Infinity Ward couldn't get it to run at 480p on Xbone, that wouldn't be a judgment of the console itself. That's simply a judgment of a bad game made by bad developers for a bad publisher. It means nothing.

That does NOT mean that I'm defending Xbone in any way, but rather we need to use a better game for comparison. Coller Doody is gonna be shit no matter where you're looking at it.

Who cares if its not 720p? Point is that is one of the lower resolution games that looks far better than all the 1080p games. If resolution = better then why does Ryse look better than 1080p games?

And who cares who wrote the article? They are quoting others, people from nvidia mainly, but that is not relevant either. Argue with the facts presented, not your personal opinions of the messenger.

It's a matter of opinion. Personally I think Ryse looks worse than most of what I've been playing on PS4 on my TV set, primarily because of IQ. I ran the high bitrate video of it on my TV and the end result was less pleasing to me than Killzone and... wait for it, Wind Waker HD.

opinions. resolution does = better. whether that's an overriding factor or not is going to vary person to person. I'm not going to pretend like it matters for everyone myself.

but yeah, Ryse at 1080p would look a fuck load better *to me*.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Its rather bizarre. I remember playing crysis several years ago, and the bump between 720p and 1080p was very noticible to me...I am honestly not bothered much about resolution above 1080p, but 1080p is the baseline I think devs should hit...

Oh, it's not bizarre but rather quite human indeed.... Over a million people have spend 500$ on the 720p machine, they gotta get over the cognitive disonance somehow.

I predict their public therapy will lead to a lot of hilarity in the forums.

sol_bad

This whole situation has been quite incredible.

All the videos that had been released comparing the PS4 and Xbone versions confused me quite a bit. In my eyes they looked the exact same but with all the media saying the PS4 was indeed in 1080p I was second guessing myself and trying extremely hard to figure out what the differences were between the two versions.

As someone that has been playing PC games at 1080p on my 54inch plasma I was perplexed. On my own TV there is a massive difference between the same game on console and PC. Why couldn't I see the difference between the PS4 and Xbone version of CoD: Ghosts? Were my eyes starting to fail me? Did I need to get my eyes checked?
I was so happy when the pixel counters on here and Beyond 3D started saying the PS4 footage was also 720p upscaled to 1080p.

It's incredible that the media took PR's word for truth and accepted it just because the PS4 was set up to output in 1080p and the TV they played on said 1080p.

This is nothing new either.....
As I said above I have played games on PC in 1080p for years now, the higher resolution does wonders for image quality.
The fact still is that the PS3 God of War games, the Uncharted games and The Last of Us are all incredible graphical showpieces and look nicer than a lot of PC games, even with the lower resolution.
This goes back to art design in my opinion.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

This is fantastic. Thank you.

DedValve

Banned
To be fair there's hardly any difference unless your like 10 inches away from the monitor/tv and thats not healthy. Just sit farther away.

viveks86

To be fair there's hardly any difference unless your like 10 inches away from the monitor/tv and thats not healthy. Just sit farther away.
I've learnt something, Gaf. If anyone ever starts their comment with "To be fair", be warned that you are about to read some serious bullshit.

Kru

Ok, i thought IGN only reviewed the multiplayer which was 1080p, but included footage of the singleplayer just because.

The multiplayer was always 1080p on ps4 with or without patch right? someone mentioned it was, not sure where.

JLeack

Banned
Lol. And to think I got in trouble with Activision's PR for saying this 3 weeks ago. I don't feel guilty anymore.

Mononoke

Banned
I know GAF is very different, but if you showed these to people who play games but don't think too hard about it, they'd shrug their shoulders and wonder what difference it makes. And these websites know this, because that's who they're writing for. I prefer 1080 all the way, but there needs to be an acceptance that there's a vast swath of people who don't even notice stuff like this, and that is okay for the mainstream press to acknowledge.

Such a shame for anyone that wants the best out of the industry (and games as an art form). But you are right, from a business perspective it doesn't matter if you cut corners, because the majority won't care or notice it.

Because a lot of people's ideas in this thread of an "unbiased source" would be;
1. Official Playstation Magazine.
2. Official Playstation Magazine V2.
3. Official Playstation Magazine V3.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
X infinity.

Read through this thread and tell me I'm wrong. It's ridiculous. As soon as a website isn't kissing Sony's ass, they are on the MS payroll. I never EVER see Nintendo, PC and Xbox gamers complain about biased media more than those from the Sony camp. You can deny it all you like, but that is what I see every day on the internet. If someone is calling a website or individual biased, I know 99% of the time I can be sure that it is a Playstation gamer. I'm not saying all are like this, as I'm a Playstation gamer and love the games, but sometimes I think people try and ignore the elephant in the room, and we are left with countless threads that have gone to shit. I'm not defending fanboys from other camps, just pointing out what I see is a bigger problem. As I said, read the conspiracy stuff in this thread. Laughable.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not hive-minding GAF, I'm just saying that there are a lot of people, a vocal mimority one could hope, who are in every thread spreading FUD.
While I wait for my lashings, I'd just like to point out that I am calling out people who are calling out websites for no real reason. I am calling out the various conspiracy theories and 'bias' accusations which are evident in this thread, whereas there is no real evidence of bias from these websites being accused'of such.
Sorry for those in here that wanted a nice discussion. I just couldh't help but speak out, as it has been bothering me a bit.

Wow, at least all these threads on Gaf only have people spreading FUD about the Xbox One. I don't know how you would react if it went both ways, oh wait...................

And yes, you are basically approaching the hive.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This is fantastic. Thank you.

Why? Comparing games to movies makes it an instant fail. Resolution is nothing more than sampling. You can't simply add information to a signal unless you sample it enough (Shannon's Sampling theorem). Sure you could kill the high frequencies, which is tantamount to blur. Or you could ignore it it and alias like hell. Simply put, you want "more" of everything, including more samples.

NeoGash

Wow, at least all these threads on Gaf only have people spreading FUD about the Xbox One. I don't know how you would react if it went both ways, oh wait...................

And yes, you are basically approaching the hive.

Except...I'm not approaching the hive? It does go both ways, but it just seems that the Microsoft payroll shit is so f'ing overused and people believe it. Again, look through this thread, and tell me I'm wrong. You can say I'm making shit up, but that is if you close your eyes and ignore half of the posts in this thread, and many other threads.

Tell me, how often do you see just say a Nintendo or PC fan accusing IGN, Digital Foundry, Adam Sessler, Polygon etc. etc. etc. of bias? How often? Let's not kid ourselves. I'm neutral, but I don't like seeing it when a large amount of people ruin so many threads on a daily basis and keep spreading bullcrap. I'm sure the majority of people want to have a nice discussion like me, but I'd also be sure that they avoid posting altogether in some threads to avoid getting eaten alive or sucked into the tornado. I don't like any fanboys, I just accept that some people are pathetic and insecure and move on, but when there are quite a large amount of them that drown out rational and logical discussion that is when I get pissed off. I'd be saying the same thing for Xbox, PC and Nintendo fanboys but luckily it is on a much, much smaller scale. I mean, they might spread some FUD but at least I don't see them constantly acting as if their system of choice is under attack from the media.

All I'm asking is for people to go into ONE damn thread without accusing someone of bias, because it derails the thread and all of the loons crawl out from beneath the woodwork.

EDIT. OMG, wow. I don't like doing this, but dude, half of your posts are going into Xbox articles and talking crap. You only list a PSN ID as well. My post was attacking only the large amount of fanboys, not fans. I'm a PlayStation fan, I think the Uncharted games are the best games this generation, but I will call out any large group of people that I see is detrimental to a good discussion. If you look at my post history you will see even criticism and praise for any company/platform (I actually criticise MS more than anyone else). The only people who should have been offended by my post are those who know who they are, as I didn't name any names.

So, do you know who you are?

On Polygon;

I assume they will review the Xbox One Exclusives pretty well, considering they do not seem to have any effect on the Xbox One HARDWARE REVIEW.

Yeah, just answered my own question. You are one of those people who calls bias... Who would have thought with a post history like that? ..... -_-

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This resolution crap is such manufactured outrage.

It means fuck-all when it comes to a game being good or not. A lot of pretend it's all that matters, but honestly if that were the case I wouldn't be playing on the Wii U, on my 3DS, on the Vita, my 360.. whatever.

We all know, the PS4 is stronger. Who gives a shit really. The PS4 still get's stomped by PC. Yet.. here I was today playing on a Wii U.

Someone tell me how the fuck I was enjoying the Super Mario 3D World with it's horrible 720p and slide-show-amirite-30 FPS?

Oh, because it doesn't really freaking matter.

Top Bottom