• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN admits their pre-release Ghosts footage wasn't 1080p after all

There have simply been far too many fuck ups by too many sectors of the gaming media with regard to next gen for them all to be dismissed as mere coincidence/incompetence at this point.

I'm not about to start making accusations here, but there is most definitely something going on that isn't above board with all this.

ghosts-1-ps4jpg-885a63.jpg

ghosts-1-x1jpg-e96de6.jpg

The Xbone shot looks like it has some artificial edge enhancement and contrast boosting to try and make the image have a little more "pop". The result is a glittery looking image that isn't as clean as the PS4. I think that hurts the image even more than having lower resolution.

The Xbone shot looks like it has some artificial edge enhancement and contrast boosting to try and make the image have a little more "pop". The result is a glittery looking image that isn't as clean as the PS4. I think that hurts the image even more than having lower resolution.

Dat pop.

Such wow.

Much sharp!

kinggroin

Banned
Does not surprise me at all considering how much blatant favoritism most game sites have given MS.'

Sony PS4 reveal in Feb: "Mediocre, MS wont have to do much to beat it"

Xbox DRM Rumors - "Completely untrue! MS would never do this"

DRM Rumors confirmed - "They're not that big of a deal! Gamers will get used to them, and Sony will implement them too!"

PS4 confirms no DRM, $100 cheaper - "Well, er, uh, Xbox is still a potentially better value, still not that big a deal, uh, Titanfall?"

MS reverses DRM - "OH THANK GOD YES! You see, YOU SEE? MS does care about us!!!"

And so on...

And so on. Fill us in on the details. What sites showed MS favoritism?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
There have simply been far too many fuck ups by too many sectors of the gaming media with regard to next gen for them all to be dismissed as mere coincidence/incompetence at this point.

I'm not about to start making accusations here, but there is most definitely something going on that isn't above board with all this.

That's pretty much my stance too.

Jomjom

Banned
Spot on. Don't forget to whole.

Sony sells a million but don't look into that, it's all about long term success. Like ugh, Sony really is the one not getting good news. It's always hamstrung by some dumbass obvious shit.

Remember don't look too much into 1 million sales at launch, but Xbox selling more on one day based off unofficial and incomplete information from 2 stores is newsworthy.

NeoGash

yeah we are awful. video game section should be shut down. discussing video game related issues should become a bannable offense.

While I wouldn't say what that guy said, I think that throwing around the word "bias" and directing it towards a site should be a bannable offence if the person cannot use evidence to support their claim, otherwise every thread is hijacked by conspiracy theorists who are as he said; stupid. Not one-sided evidence either. I have yet to see one person who has backed up their claims of 'bias' with facts. Just hyperbole and their own fanboy insecurity with silly anecdotes that do not prove anything.

IGN most definitely funked up, I'm sure we can all agree, but the bias slinging is idiotic to say the least. I think people need to understand what the word means before using it, as you can't very well use it whenever you don't agree with something, although this thread and many others are evidence that you seemingly can do just that. I think GAF is well renowned for factual analyses of the technical aspects of video games, it is just a shame that many posters do not share this quality (factual analysis).

Then elaborate so we can have a discussion. Name names. What are the sites/people and what are their motives? Surely we can at least discuss that, even if we can't make conclusions based off of a severe lack of evidence. Are people willing to stand by their theories? Then go ahead, don't beat around the bush if you are willing to make vague accusations. I'm all for it, I love a good discussion.

Because it's not just corner cutting? Because it's indicative of the gaping chasm between the two consoles in performance terms which will affect every single multiplatform game this console generation? Because there aren't many mulitplatform games to compare yet? Because it calls into question everything Microsoft has been saying in the lead up to the release of the two machines? Because the Xbone is a full $100 more expensive than the PS4 despite being a total shit-show from the perspective of power?

You're absolutely right, but my point is that it's fucking Call of Duty. Anyone buying any version of it on any system is an idiot, so who cares about any of this?

Tabular

Banned
Polygon:
PS4 6.5
XBO 7

It's so sad.

Yup. And it's not just Polygon. Why the heck are all the tech sites, including Digital Foundry, ignoring this huge, I mean HUGE issue? It boggles my mind! I'm actually proud of IGN for being the one site making a stand that they were duped by Infinity Ward (and possibly by extension Microsoft). SMH.

You're absolutely right, but my point is that it's fucking Call of Duty. Anyone buying any version of it on any system is an idiot, so who cares about any of this?

But you contradict yourself. 'Who cares about any of this' implies it has no value and yet you admit there is value in knowing the differences (between the hardware). That difference might actually mean a difference between a potential buyer supporting one platform or another. And again why has this comparison not happened sooner?

Gattsu25

Banned
It's fishy why the whole industry waited this long to do the real comparison.
imtbwEWuljde7.gif

ibmyPmlvmYu3x4.gif
All IMO of course:

Both look disgusting but the PS4 version looks less so. The first image is a great display of what you gain from a higher res with the details on the satellite that are entirely impossible to read on the XB One's image.

The texture seam on the low res ground texture in the second image does neither any favors. The scripted scene in the second image also has soldiers running inside of eachother on the PS4 image. A minor example of the tears, hard work, and dedication that I'm sure was poured into every frame of the game.

It's really strange going from graphics cards performance benchmarks to console game comparisons. It's like, "See this chart? See how the performance is better on (blank)? Who gives a shit, amirite?"

Atlas157

You know what I find funny?

Last gen with PS3 and 360 multiplat games, everyone would say the 360 version looks better in most cases.

Now that it's reversed, people are like "BAWWW THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE"

At least that's what I see in the IGN comment section.

NBtoaster

Yup. And it's not just Polygon. Why the heck are all the tech sites, including Digital Foundry, ignoring this huge, I mean HUGE issue? It boggles my mind! I'm actually proud of IGN for being the one site making a stand that they were duped by Infinity Ward (and possibly by extension Microsoft). SMH.

DF didn't ignore it. And the correct thing for IGN to do would be to say "there isn't actually a resolution difference in spite of what Infinity Ward said" because that's what their captures showed, and not just trusting Infinity Ward and having no idea what higher resolution means.

Tabular

Banned
DF didn't ignore it. And the correct thing for IGN to do would be to say "there isn't actually a resolution difference in spite of what Infinity Ward said" because that's what their captures showed, and not just trusting Infinity Ward and having no idea what higher resolution means.

Huh? You can clearly tell the resolution is 100% higher is the image comparisons? Maybe your on a cell phone or something.

Edit:Might have misunderstood you

Gattsu25

Banned
It's really strange going from graphics cards performance benchmarks to console game comparisons. It's like, "See this chart? See how the performance is better on (blank)? How gives a shit, amirite?"

How, indeed. There are a lot of concerns that come into play when looking at benchmarks. Some of the benefits are extremely minor... sure.

That said, benchmarks are a great source of finding out what card you should be getting next. I personally use it to spot when games are poorly optimized for one card vendor vs the other (I'll be paying very close attention in the next few years as AMD now has a monopoly on consoles). They also come in handy when talking yourself off the price cliff and helping you come to the conclusion that you really are not gaining anything of significant value by purchasing this or even last year's models.

There will always be the crowd of people that pump hundreds of dollars into chasing down 5 fps gains but they are not the majority nor should they be.

GARMZ JURNALISMs

and there were people defending them or trying to justify things.

I can tell you from now on i'm taking anything IGN says with a grain of salt
(i lied, i am always pessimistic with anything they say)

Mudkips

Banned
Huh? You can clearly tell the resolution is 100% higher is the image comparisons? Maybe your on a cell phone or something. Oh wait... that's right... your a hardcore M$ apologist.

IGN showed 720p vs 720p footage and claimed they were showing 720p vs 1080p footage and there was no difference. They claim that IW told them they were getting 1080p for the PS4 version.

The poster you replied to is saying what Sony should have done at the time. They should have said they're both clearly the same resolution despite any claims IW may or may not have made, because they were both clearly the same resolution. You're fanning flames that don't exist.

Since the game has come out and we are now seeing 1080p PS4 footage, IGN has to create some cock and bull story about some "unknown reason" why their previous footage wasn't 1080p like they had claimed it was.

Unless their video editor is severely vision-impaired, that "unknown reason" has to be the hats made of money they received.

bjb

Banned
In what measurable way does this have any impact on anything whatsoever? Especially for each and every person on this board. The answer is zero. Your lives will not be any different tomorrow because IGN erroneously reported something about our hobby for babies. In fact, your lives will also not be affected by the game running at 720p versus 1080p, because 90% of people in real life won't notice and of those that do, 99% won't give a fuck. "Mom, this game box has less p in it, this is some bullshit!" will never be uttered anywhere, and the concept is largely meaningless outside of this board. People picked their console before they knew anything about it, dug themselves into a nice defense bunker and have been spending the last few months stockpiling ammunition for the upcoming war of technological dick wagging.

paging @neogafshitposts

Tabular

Banned
IGN showed 720p vs 720p footage and claimed they were showing 720p vs 1080p footage and there was no difference. They claim that IW told them they were getting 1080p for the PS4 version.

The poster you replied to is saying what Sony should have done at the time. They should have said they're both clearly the same resolution despite any claims IW may or may not have made, because they were both clearly the same resolution. You're fanning flames that don't exist.

Since the game has come out and we are now seeing 1080p PS4 footage, IGN has to create some cock and bull story about some "unknown reason" why their previous footage wasn't 1080p like they had claimed it was.

Unless their video editor is severely vision-impaired, that "unknown reason" has to be the hats made of money they received.

When I said why has Digital Foundry ignored it, I was referring to their complete lack of a screenshot comparison between the two versions even after 11 days of both games being released and patched. So maybe he misunderstood me. But anyway, that's the issue here. IGN was told it was 1080p so they posted the results (which were 720p at the time). That aside I fault the fact that we had to wait this long for image comparisons anywhere on the web. And the difference was not minor buy any means. It's inexcusable.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I pretty much ignored all the resolution hubbub, but what I won't ignore is poor journalism.

Fortunately for me, I stopped following gaming sites/mags years and years ago.

I pretty much get all of my relevant gaming news from forums like this one. At the end of the day, the only thing I care about when it comes to gaming is:

What is coming out, and for what systems?

Anything else interesting going on in the industry (hardware, software, notable figures moving around or exiting the industry).

Reviews do nothing for me. I make up my own mind and buy the stuff that appeals to me. Some of my favorite games have reviewed poorly, so I learned a long time ago to not use reviews for anything other than a time killer if there's nothing else to do or read.

I'm not particularly interested in knowing anything else. I care about the games. And talking to people about games is fun, hence why forums like this are great for me, and all I need for my gaming fix.

I don't particularly subscribe to the notion of money-hats, but personal bias from a lot of these media folks is pretty evident. Gaming journalism went from being an objective evaluation of the industry, its people, and its games, to some gigantic live journal rant about what they like/don't like, with no real analysis or useful information concerning an industry they claim to be enthusiast press about.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are no doubt people in the journalist industry that love what they do, and want to cover the industry as honestly and true as they can, but I fear they have been overshadowed by the business aspect of the industry.

Banned
Ladies and gentleman: Journalistic Integrity

And digital foundry of all people claiming it was 1080p.

Gaeamz Jurnaalizmm.

Ive really got no more words. Just tears. Its obvious whats been going on these past couple months.

If ive learned anything from this launch its to appreciate NeoGaf.

Thank God(Evilore) for NeoGaf, I love you all :']

NBtoaster

Huh? You can clearly tell the resolution is 100% higher is the image comparisons? Maybe your on a cell phone or something. Oh wait... that's right... your a hardcore M$ apologist.

I was referring to their initial comparison where the resolution was the same.

When I said why has Digital Foundry ignored it, I was referring to their complete lack of a screenshot comparison between the two versions even after 11 days of both games being released and patched. So maybe he misunderstood me. But anyway, that's the issue here. IGN was told it was 1080p so they posted the results (which were 720p at the time). That aside I fault the fact that we had to wait this long for image comparisons anywhere on the web. And the difference was not minor buy any means. It's inexcusable.

DF had a lot of stuff on their plate. XB1 and PS4 hardware tests, and BF4 and Akham Origins comparison, Forza, Ryse and Killzone articles and framerate tests for miscellaneous games.

viveks86

In what measurable way does this have any impact on anything whatsoever? Especially for each and every person on this board. The answer is zero. Your lives will not be any different tomorrow because IGN erroneously reported something about our hobby for babies. In fact, your lives will also not be affected by the game running at 720p versus 1080p, because 90% of people in real life won't notice and of those that do, 99% won't give a fuck. "Mom, this game box has less p in it, this is some bullshit!" will never be uttered anywhere, and the concept is largely meaningless outside of this board. People picked their console before they knew anything about it, dug themselves into a nice defense bunker and have been spending the last few months stockpiling ammunition for the upcoming war of technological dick wagging.

What a waste of bytes! You come to a place where people talk about stuff and expect them to not talk about stuff. The only point you really make is that 99% won't give a fuck (which, by the way, is a totally baseless number pulled from the ass). In what measurable way does the rest of your comment have any impact on anything whatsoever? The answer is...

HariKari

DF had a lot of stuff on their plate. XB1 and PS4 hardware tests, and BF4 and Akham Origins comparison, Forza, Ryse and Killzone articles and framerate tests for miscellaneous games.

If you pride yourself on being some sort of go-to for the final word on graphics, you should probably worry more about accuracy than being the first to print. This just makes DF look bad.

Also, "unknown reasons" IGN? Is that what we call Activision flat out admitting it wasn't 1080p and patching it in? That's unknown?

NBtoaster

If you pride yourself on being some sort of go-to for the final word on graphics, you should probably worry more about accuracy than being the first to print. This just makes DF look bad.

...they didn't try to be the first to print. They posted the next gen ghosts comparison on the 27th.

commedieu

Banned
I pretty much ignored all the resolution hubbub, but what I won't ignore is poor journalism.

Fortunately for me, I stopped following gaming sites/mags years and years ago.

I pretty much get all of my relevant gaming news from forums like this one. At the end of the day, the only thing I care about when it comes to gaming is:

What is coming out, and for what systems?

Anything else interesting going on in the industry (hardware, software, notable figures moving around or exiting the industry).

Reviews do nothing for me. I make up my own mind and buy the stuff that appeals to me. Some of my favorite games have reviewed poorly, so I learned a long time ago to not use reviews for anything other than a time killer if there's nothing else to do or read.

I'm not particularly interested in knowing anything else. I care about the games. And talking to people about games is fun, hence why forums like this are great for me, and all I need for my gaming fix.

I don't particularly subscribe to the notion of money-hats, but personal bias from a lot of these media folks is pretty evident. Gaming journalism went from being an objective evaluation of the industry, its people, and its games, to some gigantic live journal rant about what they like/don't like, with no real analysis or useful information concerning an industry they claim to be enthusiast press about.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are no doubt people in the journalist industry that love what they do, and want to cover the industry as honestly and true as they can, but I fear they have been overshadowed by the business aspect of the industry.
Good post.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
if not intentional, it is incompetence.

in this case it is both, and we all watched it go down in real-time.

too bad they dont have a reputation to fall back on.

Top Bottom