• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN admits their pre-release Ghosts footage wasn't 1080p after all

Wow. So they were both running in 720p but they literally said the PS4 was obviously running in 1080p. That is fucking hilarious. Also, again, how would this be a MS moneyhat?

MS to IGN:

"Hey, use 720p feed for both Xbox One and PS4, claim PS4 is still 1080p, and gamers will believe the difference isn't as big as it really is because they'll see minimal difference."

Easy.

You know, it boggles my mind how much people keep talking about this. Call of Duty is a franchise for dudebros that play that and Madden. That's it. Why the fuck do actual gamers care about the resolution? Why do actual gamers care if Activision cut corners, and why would you be surprised? It just drives me nuts. They're bad games. Stop caring about them. You're like people who just can't stop posting about what stupid thing Miley Cyrus has done this week and how disgusted you are with her. Just stop giving it attention.

hohoXD123

How's that?

Because he draws the conclusion that the PS4 version is superior because of the more detailed models, weapons, etc. as a result of the resolution, even though that shouldn't have been the case since both were running at 720p. I really don't understand some of the comments suggesting MS moneyhatting here.

MS to IGN:

"Hey, use 720p feed for both Xbox One and PS4, claim PS4 is still 1080p, and gamers will believe the difference isn't as big as it really is because they'll see minimal difference."

Easy.

That makes no sense at all. This is what a more realistic moneyhat would have been:

"Hey, take some money, use the 720p feed for both and mention that the game looks the same on both systems as shown by the BS feed."

Odrion

Banned
Huh, I now feel compelled to never visit IGN ever again.

Weird, I believe I found the final straw. I never knew it was there, but here we are, watching IGN hit rock bottom.

I'll miss Up At Noon I guess?

In what measurable way does this have any impact on anything whatsoever? Especially for each and every person on this board. The answer is zero. Your lives will not be any different tomorrow because IGN erroneously reported something about our hobby for babies. In fact, your lives will also not be affected by the game running at 720p versus 1080p, because 90% of people in real life won't notice and of those that do, 99% won't give a fuck. "Mom, this game box has less p in it, this is some bullshit!" will never be uttered anywhere, and the concept is largely meaningless outside of this board. People picked their console before they knew anything about it, dug themselves into a nice defense bunker and have been spending the last few months stockpiling ammunition for the upcoming war of technological dick wagging.
I'll say it as plainly as possible in hopes of you being able to understand.

Readers of IGN who trust their professional opinions may have been swayed by the comparison between the 2 versions of CODG to buy the Xbox One. It was an incorrect comparison because CODG running at 1080p actually looks noticeably different from and better than the same game running at 720p.

It's not just meaningless "technological dick wagging" where one console gets bragging rights over having a higher number of inconsequential "Ps" as you put it, which is completely asinine because higher resolution is a big deal. It was a big deal when the last gen of consoles got us out of the 480i ghetto into 720p and it's almost as big of a deal to actually have games outputting in our TV's native resolution. Readers were misled and waters were muddied.

If the Xbox One is unable to run a certain game at any resolution over 720p while maintaining 60FPS and the PS4 can run the exact same game at 1080p with ridiculous surpluses in frame rate that made the game chug as a result of TOO many frames, that is an indicator of a substantial disparity in graphical power beyond some irrelevant pissing contest.

Talamius

This is why I stopped visiting gaming sites regularly years ago. NeoGAF is all I need for my gaming information.

*nods*

Once you learn to separate the signal from the noise, a good community forum is far more reliable than a major review site.

As for this......It's not a good look, especially weeks after release. Sad thing is I don't think many people are surprised.

antitrop

You know, it boggles my mind how much people keep talking about this. Call of Duty is a franchise for dudebros that play that and Madden. That's it. Why the fuck do actual gamers care about the resolution? Why do actual gamers care if Activision cut corners, and why would you be surprised? It just drives me nuts. They're bad games. Stop caring about them. You're like people who just can't stop posting about what stupid thing Miley Cyrus has done this week and how disgusted you are with her. Just stop giving it attention.
You might want to find a different forum to post on, because you probably won't enjoy your time here.

Hanzou

Saying it's 1080p native and doesn't look better than X1 at 720p before launch is a pretty big deal. It's downplaying the superiority by spreading misinformation before many choose their next platform.

Oh yeah that make sit a LOT worse. It really does seem like a lot of the "journalists" were downplaying the differences between the two consoles on multiple games.

Jabba

Banned
This is far from the worst idea I've ever heard.

You know, at least you owned up. Took the the time to sift through wheat and chaff. Discussed it with rational people and then actually tested it as best you could with what you had. Not many in the press went out of their way to at least educate themselves on if/why there were legitimate complaints.

Many just went through the bullshit motions of the same old same old. Then you asked GAF if you should do an article and if it was too late. You got positive results and wrote an article about it.
http://www.darkstation.com/features/opinion-what-you-need-to-know-about-next-gen-performance/

You also labeled the article an opinion piece. Which it should be. Because the fact is not everyone cares about resolution. But just because that may be so, doesn't mean any journalist shouldn't educate themselves about the subject they write about on a regular basis. Then report differences and possible implications in the future if it remains the same.

A big problem many had including myself, was many journalists were educated enough to write about minor differences between Xbox 360 and PS3 games but all of a sudden the jump between 1080p and 720p is negligible or doesn't even exist. It was all crazy, I believe I clicked about a total, 3 different articles on DF and other sites about power balance to resolution. There was some restraint from me, not a ton.

Anyway, I just thought you deserved kudos to how you handled reporting resolution differences.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Please stop posting.

Aside from the awful initial BF4 captures, DF's face offs have been spot on.

this.

and we all knew IGN were wrong wrong wrong on this. even when they doubled down. we knew.

I'd love every journalist to follow Josh's lead and run the same tests he did. I honestly think a lot of people preaching the 'no real difference' live haven't bothered to look into it for themselves.

Averon

2013 has been a fucking incredible year. The crazy rumors. The loss of credibility among the gaming press. The resolution shenanigans. The 180 from MS. DRM

Has a console generation lead up ever been as eventful and hilarious as the one we all just went through?

You know, it boggles my mind how much people keep talking about this. Call of Duty is a franchise for dudebros that play that and Madden. That's it. Why the fuck do actual gamers care about the resolution? Why do actual gamers care if Activision cut corners, and why would you be surprised?

Because it's not just corner cutting? Because it's indicative of the gaping chasm between the two consoles in performance terms which will affect every single multiplatform game this console generation? Because there aren't many mulitplatform games to compare yet? Because it calls into question everything Microsoft has been saying in the lead up to the release of the two machines? Because the Xbone is a full $100 more expensive than the PS4 despite being a total shit-show from the perspective of power?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
2013 has been a fucking incredible year. The crazy rumors. The loss of credibility among the gaming press. The resolution shenanigans. The 180 from MS. DRM

Has a console generation lead up ever been as eventful and hilarious as the one we all just went through?

Most generation lead up don't have multiple consoles coming out a week between each other with systems that are so comparable.

Amauri14

IGN mistakenly published a previous side-by-side comparison of Call of Duty: Ghosts that did not contain the full 1080p native resolution footage of the PS4 version. While IGN confirmed the display output setting on the PS4, the native resolution rendered in the game itself was not 1080p for an unknown reason. The footage was captured on non-retail, development hardware running the final build of the game. After viewing, the retail version on retail hardware, it's clear our old footage was a lower resolution. You can see this difference more clearly in this new video.
dr_evil_laser.jpg

Even a 7 years old LCD shows at what resolution a video is running, so if this was really a mistake, they should start looking for a new video producer, and how could they confirmed it if it wasn't really 1080p? That's something that can be noticed with the naked eye, and as I say before, even an old ass LCD can detect this, special equipment is not required to tell a fucking resolution output.

Too late. They should've caught this before the comparison was uploaded.

It's really not that hard to recognize that two times more pixels should not result in exactly the same image quality. Failing at doing even this, it's no exaggeration to say that their comparisons are completely useless. Oh well, guess in the end it's a good thing they finally admit to this, so more people are aware and able to safely dismiss them in the future.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
dr_evil_laser.jpg

Even a 7 years old LCD shows at what resolution a video is running, so if this was really a mistake, they should start looking for a new video producer, and how could they confirmed it if it wasn't really 1080p? That's something that can be noticed with the naked eye, and as I say before, even an old ass LCD can detect this, special equipment is not required to tell a fucking resolution output.

Unless the PS4 was set to 1080p and was sending an upscaled image to the monitor. It'd report a 1080p source then.

hesido

dr_evil_laser.jpg

Wasn't there a bug in COD that had the game run at 720p for PS4 (internal resolution of 720p, displayed at 1080p). So the TV information wouldn't have helped. That's why they issued a day 1 patch, no?

Clowns probably realized this when the 1080p news came out, but chose not to say anything until well after the ad-revenue-craze release period ended.

What a fucking joke. At the very least the journalists' idiotic logic that "nobody can tell the difference" is at least partially true, they're the ones who can't tell the difference.

youta

You might want to find a different forum to post on, because you probably won't enjoy your time here.

Nah, he should just come by OT. The fact is, a agree with him, but I wouldn't complain as I find these threads to be very entertaining. Truth be told, most of the time I really can't tell the difference between XB1/PS4
/WiiU
screenshots...

smr00

Banned
You act as if they all don't have the same agenda.
And you act as if we won't all fall for it again when the next big AAA title with questionable performance disparity on Xbox One comes out.

"Oh we were mistaken. Our bad. We weren't intentionally lying. We just suck. We won't do it again. We promise."
I never fell for it to begin with because i never paid attention to all the resolution bullshit.

I play games to have fun. I played sub-HD games for the last 6+ years. I don't care in the slightest. That being said it is bullshit that this goes on but people bring it upon themselves by continuing to give them hits and publicity.

Axass

I don't think this has anything to do with moneyhats. Just a severe case of incompetence, followed by lies about being right and an unsincere apology.

IGN - Pure incompetence.
Polygon - Gies being the dumbass, pro-Microsoft no matter what, he is.

Orca

Too late. They should've caught this before the comparison was uploaded.

It's really not that hard to recognize that two times more pixels should not result in exactly the same image quality. Failing at doing even this, it's no exaggeration to say that their comparisons are completely useless. Oh well, guess in the end it's a good thing they finally admit to this, so more people are aware and able to safely dismiss them in the future.

To be fair to IGN, they were being told by Infinity Ward that it was native 1080p.

It wasn't until people PROVED the game was 720p that they caught that it had been rendering at 720p instead of 1080p. I still think it was a change they made at some point in development that got reverted in a later build, but never noticed.

Zaibach

Banned
Does not surprise me at all considering how much blatant favoritism most game sites have given MS.'

Sony PS4 reveal in Feb: "Mediocre, MS wont have to do much to beat it"

Xbox DRM Rumors - "Completely untrue! MS would never do this"

DRM Rumors confirmed - "They're not that big of a deal! Gamers will get used to them, and Sony will implement them too!"

PS4 confirms no DRM, $100 cheaper - "Well, er, uh, Xbox is still a potentially better value, still not that big a deal, uh, Titanfall?"

MS reverses DRM - "OH THANK GOD YES! You see, YOU SEE? MS does care about us!!!"

And so on...

covered in hyperbole, but close enough lol

hohoXD123

I don't think this has anything to do with moneyhats. Just a severe case of incompetence, followed by lies about being right and an unsincere apology.

IGN - Pure incompetence.
Polygon - Gies being the dumbass, pro-Microsoft no matter what, he is.

This.

The difference is extremely obvious, especially that night building scene. If someone says there is no difference, that person is either trolling or has a serious eyes issue.

EL CUCO

Oh Hi there, Scott Lowe

tumblr_mqiue09t181s5g8tlo1_250.gif

In his defense though, I remember him tweeting that IW "confirms" that the IGN footage was "native" 1080p. Its the blind leading the blind.

Edit: A tweet that has since been deleted.

And they denied they were wrong for so long, this just makes them look ridiculous....

ESPECIALLY when DetectiveGAF knew those videos weren't 1080p weeks ago.

sol_bad

I'm still trying to figure what the target audience is for sites like IGN and Gamespot.

I mean there are us "hardcore" gamers who live and breath games, we will happily look at sites like IGN and Gamespot. Yet they shit all over us and lie to us as their audience, many times GAF has disproved an article on a gaming site and it's met simply with them
attacking or making fun of GAF.
We seriously can't be their target audience if this is the case.

There is the less enthusiastic gamer, the more "casual" gamer should we say? They still buy a few games a year and they generally buy based on name or what they see in the store at the time.
Pretty much all the "casual" gamers I know do not read IGN, Eurogamer, Edge or Gamespot let alone sites like Kotaku or even watch videos with Sessler or Mark Beer. Generally the video reviews they read are found in magazines like Zoo or in the daily/weekend newspaper.
So surely they can't be their target audience?

WHO IS THEIR TARGET AUDIENCE?
If it is us why do they treat us so poorly?

Top Bottom