• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Gears of War 4 Coming to Windows 10

w0s

This is unprecedented. It's like an emergency evacuation of all their IPs from the Xbox One to the safety bunker of the PC.

GVFbI3L.gif
This is such bullshit. If anything it just helps sell more and make the Xbox / ms / win10 brand stronger.

gamz

Genuine question. If xbox one exclusives are going to PC as well, what is the point of even owning an Xbox one? You could play the exclusives on PC and if they have multiplayer, you don't have to pay a sub. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Same reason why people buy Apple tv and roku. What's the point of these boxes when you laptop can do the same thing. Conveince.

Yeah im perfectly okay with all Xbox One games coming to PC. No idea why anyone wouldn't be.

I've no interest in owning a PC so Xbox One will do me fine.

If Gears 4 cones to PC, has cross play and criss buy then cool.

Just make the multilayer controller only and I'm happy.

This is such bullshit. If anything it just helps sell more and make the Xbox / ms / win10 brand stronger.

Let them see it the way they want. They obviously don't see more potentail sales = more revenue and bigger and better budgets for future titles.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah im perfectly okay with all Xbox One games coming to PC. No idea why anyone wouldn't be.

I've no interest in owning a PC so Xbox One will do me fine.

If Gears 4 cones to PC, has cross play and criss buy then cool.

Just make the multilayer controller only and I'm happy.

Just an exemple I have a friend who's crazy about gaming he has a very god pc and bought his ps4 and X1 day one.
We talked about it and now he just wants to sell his One and feels fooled by microsoft because he bought an X1 for some exclusives forza, gears and quatum break mostly.

Now why would he buy them on X1 when he have a PC that can run them much better?

So now he is selling his X1.

Just an exemple I have a friend who's crazy about gaming he has a very god pc and bought his ps4 and X1 day one.
We talked about it and now he just wants to sell his One and feels fooled by microsoft because he bought an X1 for some exclusives forza, gears and quatum break mostly.

Now why would he buy them on X1 when he have a PC that can run them much better?

Your friend is in the minority. The vast amount of people that have an Xbox One don't have a high-end gaming PC to go along with it.

This move will probably take a bit away from the Xbox as a piece of hardware, but add a ton to Xbox as a brand. As long as they can pull it off and iron out these Windows Store issues, that is.

I'm okay with this, however if the store continues to be an absolute horrible mess...it's not gonna make much of a difference.

Unless they have plans to release these titles outside of the Windows Store.

Angel_DvA

Your friend is in the minority. The vast amount of people that have an Xbox One don't have a high-end gaming PC to go along with it.

This move will probably take a bit away from the Xbox as a piece of hardware, but add a ton to Xbox as a brand. As long as they can pull it off and iron out these Windows Store issues, that is.

The thing is, you don't need a high end PC, only a decent one... You don't need to play the game in Ultra to have the ultimate experience, a medium/high settings will outperform the Xbox One version easily.

The thing is, you don't need a high end PC, only a decent one... You don't need to play the game in Ultra to have the ultimate experience, a medium/high settings will outperform the Xbox One version easily.

It's still going to take a PC that costs at least twice as much as an Xbox One for anything that resembles an "ultimate" experience. And then you have to deal with the pain of actually building it, and installing an OS, and loading up drivers, etc.. Plus a console is just way more suited for being set up in a living room with a couch.

PC gaming has it's place (I'm a PC gamer first-and-foremost), but don't be fooled into thinking that just because Xbox One games are coming to PC, all Xbox owners are going to bail. That will be a very small minority.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Yeah he probably is but I have a good gaming pc too and thus far I don't see any advantages in buying an X1 considering that my ps4 and pc will give me all the exclusives I want.
I don't think it's good to Xbox as a brand ... In fact it might hurt it a lot, but it is good to Microsoft and it's store as a brand.

So for me and probably future buyers too I'd rather invest a bit more in a better PC that also have steam and everything than an X1 which seems more and more a well optimsed PC but with less fonctionnality and much less games than a PC.

Yeah he probably is but I have a good gaming pc too and thus far I don't see any advantages in buying an X1 considering that my ps4 and pc will give me all the exclusives I want.
I don't think it's good to Xbox as a brand ... In fact it might hurt it a lot, but it is good to Microsoft and it's store as a brand.

So for me and probably future buyers too I'd rather invest a bit more in a better PC that also have steam and everything than an X1 which seems more and more a well optimsed PC but with less fonctionnality and much less games than a PC.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that point of view. I sold my Xbox One about 4 months ago and I feel completely vindicated by my decision with all of these announcements. I just don't see your average console gamer selling their Xbox One for a whopping $200 so that they can put it towards building a $1000 gaming PC.

I feel like both cases (Gamespot and IGN) were cases where the writer's assumed Gears 4 was confirmed at some point and so they just mentioned it in their articles, even if Gears 4 does eventually get announced for PC.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that point of view. I sold my Xbox One about 4 months ago and I feel completely vindicated by my decision with all of these announcements. I just don't see your average console gamer selling their Xbox One for a whopping $200 so that they can put it towards building a $1000 gaming PC.

Well most of the gamers I know own a decent PC and if I were them with a X1 and the need tu upgrade my GPU well the 200$ would help me get a good graphic card.So long story short sell X1, no longer pay for the live and get the same games and much more too.
The choice seems easy to me.

w0s

Microsoft doesn't care where you are playing they just want you in there and playing.

Personally, I can see this hardware upgrade path thing tying in to everything and for a lack of better terms microsoft just sells steambox's with xbox logos on them.

The question is will they start charging for live on PC.

Well most of the gamers I know own a decent PC and if I were them with a X1 and the need tu upgrade my GPU well the 200$ would help me get a good graphic card.So long story short sell X1, no longer pay for the live and get the same games and much more too.
The choice seems easy to me.

"Most of gamers I know" ≠ The gaming demographic of the world.

MrToast

I'm wondering the exact same thing. If they do, it could be another case of GFWL, where basically no one wanted to pay for live so they made it free instead.

No they won't. They will try to sell live to them though. Maybe bring 360/XB emulation to PC and put it behind a pay wall? Or how about early access to games, discounts, and uh idk... Maybe the ability to rent severs for custom games?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Microsoft doesn't care where you are playing they just want you in there and playing.

Personally, I can see this hardware upgrade path thing tying in to everything and for a lack of better terms microsoft just sells steambox's with xbox logos on them.

So you do agree that it'll dimish the Xbox brand in favor of microsoft's.

Thhey better notcharge for live on PC they'd probably sell a lot less if they do.I'd rather crack the games.

w0s

No they won't. They will try to sell live to them though. Maybe bring 360/XB emulation to PC and put it behind a pay wall? Or how about early access to games, discounts, and uh idk... Maybe the ability to rent severs for custom games?

Perhaps. I ended up booting up GoW:UE or whatever the fuck it was called and to be honest it was kind cool seeing all my xbox live friends. I'm okay with not using my xb1 (though the kids would never let me get rid of it because of horizon 2) and using my pc as the premier xbox experience with cross-play on exclusive titles.

w0s

So you do agree that it'll dimish the Xbox brand in favor of microsoft's.

Thhey better notcharge for live on PC they'd probably sell a lot less if they do.I'd rather crack the games.

I'm not sure I would say that it would diminish. It could strengthen the brand itself because now pc gamers who weren't playing xbox games are now playing xbox "exclusive" games just on their pc. Hell their next pc could be an xbox branded pre-built.

Then again what the fuck do I know. Just like 99% of the people on this board I take what I learned in college and apply it to the real world even though in the real world the shit we learned isn't always true.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'm not sure I would say that it would diminish. It could strengthen the brand itself because now pc gamers who weren't playing xbox games are now playing xbox "exclusive" games just on their pc. Hell their next pc could be an xbox branded pre-built.

Then again what the fuck do I know. Just like 99% of the people on this board I take what I learned in college and apply it to the real world even though in the real world the shit we learned isn't always true.

Are you a PC gamer ?I guess not because an xbox branded prebuilt pc wouldn't have steam and come on let's say it nor origins nor uplay.

Pc gamers like the openess of their platform and the windows store is all but open.
I wouldn't buy an xbox branded pc to be able to play less game than a regular pc.

He should thank MS for saving him money and supporting his obvious preferred platform. An Xbox one owner didn't lose a single thing in this arrangement. Apparently this has to be said over and over and over.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
He should thank MS for saving him money and supporting his obvious preferred platform. An Xbox one owner didn't lose a single thing in this arrangement. Apparently this has to be said over and over and over.

And knowing a few people owning a X1 and a good PC they feel like they just lost their Xbox investment.
So yeah he loses one important thing ... interest in the platform.
But i mean specifically for the xbox owners that also owns a pc.

Of course it doesn't change a damn thing for people owning a X1 and not planning to buy a good PC but I wasn't talking about that part X1 owners.

And knowing a few people owning a X1 and a good PC they feel like they just lost their Xbox investment.
So yeah he loses one important thing ... interest in the platform.
But i mean specifically for the xbox owners that also owns a pc.

Of course it doesn't change a damn thing for people owning a X1 and not planning to buy a good PC but I wasn't talking about that part X1 owners.
ok but the only negative for your friend is a percieved feeling about the platform. In reality MS did him a solid.

Nobody would sell the Xbox because the Xbox somehow became worse. People would only sell because MS opened their games up to a platform said person prefers anyway. MS obviously isn't bothered that some would skip Xbox hardware to buy Xbox games on Win 10. I suspect the number of people that feel similarly is incredibly small anyway.

PSGames

Fuuuuck yesssssss.

Guess my XB1 will be relegated to a mostly media machine but dont give a fuck. Gears and Forza maxed on PC, and please someone for the love of god mod unofficial VR support into Forza.
This. If they can fine hone the Xbox app/experience on Windows 10 plus bring all exclusives over I can easily see myself being a mostly PC gamer. Still a ways to go but at least we're seeing progress on this finally.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
ok but the only negative for your friend is a percieved feeling about the platform. In reality MS did him a solid.

Nobody would sell the Xbox because the Xbox somehow became worse. People would only sell because MS opened their games up to a platform said person prefers anyway. MS obviously isn't bothered that some would skip Xbox hardware to buy Xbox games on Win 10. I suspect the number of people that feel similarly is incredibly small anyway.

That's not the only negative he bought something useless he lost money.It's not because it is worse thet he sells it it is because he has no longer use of it.
And having read a lot of forums my friend is far to be the only one.

I, having only bought a ps4 and a PC, am glad that microsoft chose this way like that I don't have to buy an Xbox to play xbox games.

All advantages for PC gamers but I understand why my friend feel fooled by microsoft.

That's not the only negative he bought something useless he lost money.It's not because it is worse thet he sells it it is because he has no longer use of it.
And having read a lot of forums my friend is far to be the only one.

I, having only bought a ps4 and a PC, am glad that microsoft chose this way like that I don't have to buy an Xbox to play xbox games.

All advantages for PC gamers but I understand why my friend feel fooled by microsoft.
So PC gamers should be upset that MS made moves to give more to PC gamers without adversely effecting XB1 owners in any real way?

Xbox one becomes useless for him but he obviously preferred his PC hardware anyway or he would keep the Xbox. So sell the Xbox one and buy some games he would have bought on XB1 with it. It's a win win for him. He has only received more of what he prefers in all this.

xRaizen

If Crackdown 3 is announced for PC then I'm selling my Xbox One. I only bought it for Halo and Gears, then QB and Crackdown were announced. Halo 5 not being to my liking and Gears/QB coming for PC just gave me more reason to sell the XO. I'm still keeping it for now, but if CrackDown goes to PC... the console will be sold.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So PC gamers should be upset that MS made moves to give more to PC gamers without adversely effecting XB1 owners in any real way?

Xbox one becomes useless for him but he obviously preferred his PC hardware anyway or he would keep the Xbox. So sell the Xbox one and buy some games he would have bought on XB1 with it. It's a win win for him. He has only received more of what he prefers in all this.

No pc gamers shouldn't be upset that's like the opposite of what I'm saying.

Well his PC is more powerful and plays more games.Why had he received more of what he prefers when he literaly can play his xbox games on PC.What is the added value ?He just spent 500€ in a console that has no appeal anymore to his gaming habits.And probably won't be considering the number of exclusives also coming to pc and even if he can sell it for 200€ he just basically lost 300€ for nothing.
Having played on xbox wasn't an added value I don't get what you mean by receiving more of what he prefers.

If it's a win win for him why does he regret buying one ?

Banned
This is unprecedented. It's like an emergency evacuation of all their IPs from the Xbox One to the safety bunker of the PC.

GVFbI3L.gif
Nope if anything it's the cloning of its IP's being sent off into a rocket and blasting off into space (PC) where all new opportunities arrive.

eksy

Banned
So if MS is fully committed to W10 Store, why not already announce that all MS IPs are coming to W10?

Why drag their feet about it? At least give the consumers notice so that they can make more informed decisions. Hiding this information is shitty.

They are trying to play both sides. If they truly believe that it won't matter since gamers will be playing their games either way (XB1 or W10), then they should have no fear in announcing full W10 support.

The fear is real. They are afraid consumers will wise up and abandon the Xbox One and they will lose the living room. This cross-play, cross-save functionality is not worth $300.

Duxxy3

If it came out the same day as the XB1 version, I would probably just sell my XB1.

I use my gaming PC as a general PC right now. I'd just pick up a general PC and use my gaming PC for actual gaming.

So if MS is fully committed to W10 Store, why not already announce that all MS IPs are coming to W10?

Why drag their feet about it? At least give the consumers notice so that they can make more informed decisions. Hiding this information is shitty.

They are trying to play both sides. If they truly believe that it won't matter since gamers will be playing their games either way (XB1 or W10), then they should have no fear in announcing full W10 support.

The fear is real. They are afraid consumers will wise up and abandon the Xbox One and they will lose the living room. This cross-play, cross-save functionality is not worth $300.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were testing the waters a bit to gauge consumer reaction/sales. I would agree that this strategy seems to be backfiring though.

Top Bottom