• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Leaks: Guild Wars 2 core game going f2p, raids being added

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be glad if the game became F2P. I have a couple of friends I'd like to play it with, but they don't want to buy the game. This would give me a good excuse to make them jump in.

I really enjoyed Guild Wars 2 when it launched because a lot of the quests are much more fun when they're loads of other people around you doing the same one. Kinda the opposite of WoW.

Zeroth

This guy who data-mines the GW2 client all the time caught this about a month ago.

More than likely the "Free" accounts are the trial account

fixed

Nah, this is much older than a month ago, it's from October or November IIRC. GW2 actually had a free weekend back in April which seemed to be welll received, so I particularly believe this is not going to be the full base game but the trial client available all the time, kinda like what WoW does.

I haven't played any dungeons in awhile, but yeah that's how I remember it. You were pretty much always building to do max DPS in some way or another. Only occasionally did support skills come in handy. Even if they don't go back to a traditional trinity, utilizing the other specializations that are available would do wonders.

Like every online game- the strength of it relies on who you are playing with, and there is plenty of group, support and tanking going on in dungeons and fractals.

The META among veterans / hardcore players, is not how many people play. For example, I don't play like that ever in dungeons. I don't think it's fun, but I understand why many like the high risk / high reward playstyle. It's not a problem to find dungeons that favor well rounded groups.
The META attracts people who want to curb the skill ceiling and are interested in min-maxing. It's not conducive to surviability in many of the game facets.
With that being said, Anet has acknowledged that the enemies in GW2 haven't done enough to press people to use their support abillities. Right now it's mostly debuff DoTs, cleanses, stacking, buffs and that sort of stuff.

For HoT they have hired Dave Mark who supposedly have created some fancy new A.I we will be seeing.
Not enough developers (in general) pay attention to making smarter enemies. In GW1 enemies were legendary for being aggressive. It really set a pace.
In GW2 they have to balance the massive skill ceiling between many of the casual players who barely pay attention, and the people who play at a extremely high level.

What I am looking forward to is the Fractal Dungeon improvements. The fractals are these rotating mini dungeons, transforming you to different historic events. Lots of cool improvements being made.

Phazon

Lol ^^

2TU4VyK.png

I'd love to go back and play Guild Wars 2 again. Absolutely loved the first one. I haven't enjoyed MEANINGFUL exploration in a game since... when I used to play WoW? 1.0 / 2.0?

If they keep adding new areas, consistently, I'll come back and try it all out! Love me those jumping puzzles! :D

Did you try Elders Scroll Online, the exploration and the PVP are almost Incidental. The combat is even a shade bit more fun in Elders Scrolls. It also has a lot more voice acting if that was a part you liked too.

Probably sounds lame but I could never figure out how to dodge.

Well, I'm not gonna roast you for it, for I have seen many players who are not good at it, but it really becomes second nature once you get it under your skin.

The game becomes very different with something called Imersive Combat Mod, which turns the combat into a free-aim sort of game, with a fixed camera. It's really nice. you can see a video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VwlhM4rL2A

highly recommended:)

After what a clusterfuck the dungeons in gw2 were I have 0 interest in raiding in that game.

I'll also add to the GW1>>>>>>>>>GW2 chain, loved that game, not that I don't like 2.

cyress8

Banned
Probably sounds lame but I could never figure out how to dodge.
Most usually bind the dodge button to the middle mouse button. You just need to get a feel for when to dodge. Go pvp and spectate a few games and watch their movements. Some people are really good at evading and negating damage.

Might give you an idea on how to stay alive longer.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
GW2 raids sounds like a terrible idea. Game isn't made for interesting structured PvE content.

Zeroth

I understand some people are turned off by the lack of a trinity-centered combat, but it's important to mention that GW2's combat is not chaotic in any sense just because you don't have a "tank". GW2's combat favors synergy and understand what your allies bring as much as a trinity game, and just because one can heal themselves, I think people assume there is a lack of roles. That's wrong, because all GW2 classes are unique and bring something to the table. The GW2 combat also spoiled me from MMOs like FFXIV, so I have to admit that I may be biased, but I can certainly tell that the combat can be as dynamic, cooperative and interesting as any trinity MMO. Or at least, my experience with my friends prove that to me.

Raid content in particular is interesting to me and my friends because we are looking for new ways to be challenged and rewarded. At no point do we fear GW2's combat underdelivering in that aspect.

I hate the combat in this game and it has nothing to do with the tribity. I'm really curious to see how their raids are. Hopefully no more ridiculous boss health pools.

I gave up GW2 because of the messed up dungeon system, it's not fun at all.
I don't even think about raiding in GW2, it would be a torture.

Retro

Interesting, apparently I need to read a lot more about this game. Sounds like they haven't really found a compelling alternative? I'm all for developers trying to break the mold, I think I'll give it a shot regardless, but I'd hope they're actively looking for new ways to play because it's sounding like, at least in here, they haven't accomplished that yet.

It depends on what your gaming tastes are; clearly lots of players find the alternative they've provided compelling or the game wouldn't be doing as well as it is three years after launch.

The thing about Guild Wars 2's combat is that it's all about self-sufficiency and indirect cooperation. Trinity-based games generally have a Tank who keeps the enemy focused exclusively on them, whereas in GW2 every player must pay attention to where the enemy is and what they're doing, and use abilities that control the enemy's movement and ability to cause harm. Likewise with healing; instead of a player being designated as a Healer and being responsible for everyone's health through reactive heal spells, GW2 gives every player their own self-healing ability and ways to mitigate damage pro-actively (dodging, skills and buffs that block/reduce damage, debuffs that weaken enemies or cause them to miss).

For people coming from highly-regimented Trinity-based games where every player has a very narrow and specific per-determined role, suddenly having to fulfill all three roles without any single individual bearing the brunt of the responsibility is going to come across as total chaos. Nobody controls the enemy for you or keeps you alive while you get hurt; it's all on the individual. Yes, it's total chaos, but for some folks chaos is a lot more fun.

It doesn't mean the Trinity is bad or GW2's approach is good, it's just different, and different players are going to like or dislike it based on personal preference. So when you see responses like the ones that populate this thread, all that really means is that Guild Wars 2 is just not for them, but that doesn't mean it might not be for you. For whatever reason, they just seem to have trouble expressing that sentiment without being derogatory.

Bry0

I've grown to enjoy how gw2 plays. I went back to WoW because I had a free 7 days of playtime, and couldn't stand the dungeons. Slow, boring, just stand in one spot pressing the same buttons.

Once I got used to the chaos in gw2 I don't think I can go back. The game has awesome combat and a lot of fun different things to do. I am imagining that the "raids" will be something like tequatl, but instanced and more difficult.
The game plays at a different pace that I think a lot of people aren't used to.

I've grown to enjoy how gw2 plays. I went back to WoW because I had a free 7 days of playtime, and couldn't stand the dungeons. Slow, boring, just stand in one spot pressing the same buttons.

Once I got used to the chaos in gw2 I don't think I can go back. The game has awesome combat and a lot of fun different things to do. I am imagining that the "raids" will be something like tequatl, but instanced and more difficult.

Pretty much. I don't think these will be wow style raids. I'm thinking a combo of Teq or marionette style fights combined with the stuff you see in a guild puzzle or the tower of nightmares.

KiteGr

I've been playing since Launch with huge gaps in the middle.

I think by F2P they mean Free Endless trial mode...
Anyway... haven't seen the Video my self.

Their initial Dungeon's Sucked.
Their few later additions (Twilight Assault, Molten Facility, Eatherblade hideout) where Much much better, but 2 of them where temporary, and became a butchered fractal, and the one true dungeon doesn't get much play for lacking meaningful rewards that represents it's difficulty.

Bry0

Pretty much. I don't think these will be wow style raids. I'm thinking a combo of Teq or marionette style fights combined with the stuff you see in a guild puzzle or the tower of nightmares.

Sounds about right. I think the bigger mystery, for me at least, is what will the rewards be?
Ascended gear? Gold? Lots of xp to boost up mastery tracks?
Hmm or maybe something new?

Fishious

It depends on what your gaming tastes are; clearly lots of players find the alternative they've provided compelling or the game wouldn't be doing as well as it is three years after launch.

The thing about Guild Wars 2's combat is that it's all about self-sufficiency and indirect cooperation. Trinity-based games generally have a Tank who keeps the enemy focused exclusively on them, whereas in GW2 every player must pay attention to where the enemy is and what they're doing, and use abilities that control the enemy's movement and ability to cause harm. Likewise with healing; instead of a player being designated as a Healer and being responsible for everyone's health through reactive heal spells, GW2 gives every player their own self-healing ability and ways to mitigate damage pro-actively (dodging, skills and buffs that block/reduce damage, debuffs that weaken enemies or cause them to miss).

For people coming from highly-regimented Trinity-based games where every player has a very narrow and specific per-determined role, suddenly having to fulfill all three roles without any single individual bearing the brunt of the responsibility is going to come across as total chaos. Nobody controls the enemy for you or keeps you alive while you get hurt; it's all on the individual. Yes, it's total chaos, but for some folks chaos is a lot more fun.

It doesn't mean the Trinity is bad or GW2's approach is good, it's just different, and different players are going to like or dislike it based on personal preference. So when you see responses like the ones that populate this thread, all that really means is that Guild Wars 2 is just not for them, but that doesn't mean it might not be for you. For whatever reason, they just seem to have trouble expressing that sentiment without being derogatory.

Pretty much this.

The great thing is assuming IGN isn't totally wrong (dangerous, I know) the base game will be free in some capacity which means people will be able to play it and decide whether GW2 suits them or not. I think this will be very helpful, especially for a lot of GAF who aren't very familiar with MMOs since they won't have any preconceptions of how the game "should" play based on prior experience with more traditionally styled games.

I thought they didnt want instanced dungeons based on how they moved away from all that w/ all the world bosses/events they added

Retro

I thought they didnt want instanced dungeons based on how they moved away from all that w/ all the world bosses/events they added

At this point we have literally no idea what ArenaNet is adding beyond "challenging group content." IGN's leaked (and since deleted) tweet is the only time the term "raiding" has ever been mentioned (outside of a job posting a year ago). We have no idea if it's instanced or not, we won't know until their presentation at PAX on Saturday.

Here's the details; https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2the-journey-ahead-at-pax-prime-2015/

Should probably have that added to the OT since it's likely to cause a lot of confusion... or we can just create a new thread when it's officially unveiled, I guess.

Sounds about right. I think the bigger mystery, for me at least, is what will the rewards be?

Knowing them? Some form of token you can use to buy exotic or ascended gear, with unique skins. Maybe added guild token as well.

anothertech

I like not having the trinity. I play it with my brothers like Diablo.

Just run in the there and give the best you got, forget who is responsible for this job or that job. It's a breath of fresh air.

The only thing that is stale about the game is the limited options in PVP. Basically making every game a conquest game. There should have been SO much more to it.

But the trinity? Just go back to every other MMO ever made out there. I can do without, thx.

Ploid 3.0

I understand some people are turned off by the lack of a trinity-centered combat, but it's important to mention that GW2's combat is not chaotic in any sense just because you don't have a "tank". GW2's combat favors synergy and understand what your allies bring as much as a trinity game, and just because one can heal themselves, I think people assume there is a lack of roles. That's wrong, because all GW2 classes are unique and bring something to the table. The GW2 combat also spoiled me from MMOs like FFXIV, so I have to admit that I may be biased, but I can certainly tell that the combat can be as dynamic, cooperative and interesting as any trinity MMO. Or at least, my experience with my friends prove that to me.

Raid content in particular is interesting to me and my friends because we are looking for new ways to be challenged and rewarded. At no point do we fear GW2's combat underdelivering in that aspect.

Yep, even early GW2 doing a dungeon with my old FFXI guild members, we started working together with the tools that our GW2 classes provided. I was on thief so my blinds worked pretty good to help protect my party from getting hit often, and I checked to see who else had some kind of blind and we made a rotation. For a NPC we had to protect some classes were better at pulling, defending the NPC with aoe heal if it got hit, and some were good at trying to burn the spawning mobs down before it reached the npc.

I never did dungeons outside of that group, but I saw the fact that there could be team work without a dedicated tank, healer, or DPS. Heck in FFXI it wasn't really set in stone which class did what. A Thief could tank, ninja became a tank, and paladins could heal, or dps if geared that way. The PLD thing probably wouldn't be as effective as a main white mage, or Samurai at healing and dps but they had options.

I did that big dragon fight one time. The people in the world was working together and communicating a lot (the Tequila or whatever fight that is bigger than the normal world dragons). I was impressed. I also like that I can see when things will spawn on my phone. So good.

Teknoman

I know I still own Guild Wars 2, but I stopped playing with GAF since the PvE just got so boring...and I'm not that big of a PvP guy.

TheYanger

Raids....sound awful. Dungeons were the absolute worst part of GW2, and the world bosses. Even the best ones, just so so simplistic and bad due to no trinity.

Morokh

Thing is if it's that, it will be utterly disappointing.
The biggest difficulty in those fights right now is not the mechanics of the fight themselves, but simply to get enough people in the map and have them actually perform the very simple tasks required and not just stand there half-AFK.
That's not what 'challenging group content' or any Raid for that matter should be about.

They did a big mistake when they added the Aetherpath dungeon with only low-chance RNG unique rewards, and I'm pretty sure they won't be making that mistake again.

If their rework of Fractals (and what we saw from Living World Season 2) is of any indication, rewards will certainly consist of things like : Gold +Unique weapon and armor skins, dropped randomly, and craftable/buyable for tokens you'll find in this part of the content, to be able to progress towards getting the item in a more reliable way.

For more open-world content they also added 'scavenger-hunt' type quests that will make you travel all around the world to find things or craft/imbue things with power to craft a specific item that can't be traded or sold, basically an epic quest, rather than just boring gold or material farming.
See Mawdrey
A similar system will also be implemented for Precursor weapons, old and new (used to craft legendaries) come the expansion.

You'll certainly also get your occasional ascended chest along the way, now that they announced that you'll be able to salvage ascended items.
Just an FYI about ascended items, they recently added a mystic forge recipe to be able to swap stats on ascended armor/weapons.

You can also safely bet on the occasional mini/tonic or silly useless item.

Yep, even early GW2 doing a dungeon with my old FFXI guild members, we started working together with the tools that our GW2 classes provided. I was on thief so my blinds worked pretty good to help protect my party from getting hit often, and I checked to see who else had some kind of blind and we made a rotation. For a NPC we had to protect some classes were better at pulling, defending the NPC with aoe heal if it got hit, and some were good at trying to burn the spawning mobs down before it reached the npc.

That's actually very true, even in the quite sorry state of dungeon (speed)farming today where builds are mostly around fast DPS, those Meta builds also incorporate as much support as they possibly can, to increase dmage of course, but also to be able to protect players from getting hit, with blinds, protection, reflects and such.

If fights were less about LOS-ing brain-dead mobs into a corner and cleave them to death, there would be some interesting plays to be made. (more along the lines of what you can sometimes see in sPVP)

5 mil copies is a nice and round number to stop selling your game at.

Even if the core games becomes free they're still selling the expansion for the price of a new full game.

Top Bottom