• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Nintendo DSi Countdown

Chemo

HUELEN10 said:
QUICK! IS THE D-PAD A MUSHY, A CLICKY, OR A TIGHTY?

aka DS lite, Gbasp/DS, and Game Boy Micro

Which is it?

Can it do diagonals WELL?
I need an answer to this myself... are the D-pad and buttons like the Game Boy Micro (glossy, soft press), DS Lite (matte, soft-ish press), or DS nasty old fat thing (awful, shitty, clicking bullshit)?

Thanks in advance, anyone who can answer this.

RurouniZel said:
Picture011.jpg
I love the look of those new screens!

maxax

I rarely play my DS these days but goddamn, that think looks sexy as hell.
Matte finish + bigger screens + even thinner = <3
Now, is the dpad improved? If yes, this is a confirmed purchase.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Picked up a black DSi this afternoon and have only had a small amount of time to mess around with it. (Can't comment on lines and such because I was lucky enough to get a reserve ticket from an awesome guy, and just walked into the store, paid, and left.)

Right off the bat, the most noticeable differences for me are:

-The sound quality has been improved. The speakers are much LOUDER at the maximum setting. I ran both the same game in both DSi and the DS Lite at the same time, and I could barely hear the Lite's compared to the DSi's superior speakers.

-The screens are only a little better. It's pretty much just because they are a bit bigger on the DSi, and it helps, but it's not a huge difference to me.

-The DSi feels better in your hands than the DS Lite does. It is more comfortable to hold, and the raised L and R buttons feel MUCH better. The d-pad and face buttons don't stick out as much as the Lite's, and feel a bit "clickier" in comparison. I need to try out something like Bleach DS 2nd and see how the d-pad really fares.

-Volume BUTTONS! This is much better than the slider.

-The power button is now at the bottom left of the DSi face. You tap it once to go back to the new DSi menu screen (It has a Wii-like interface complete with background sounds), hold it to turn the unit off.

-The matte finish feels very different from the glossy, Apple-like DS Lite. I am not sure if I like this better or not over the Lite.

-The unit is a bit thinner than the DS Lite, but also a bit longer.

-The AC adapter is slightly larger than the previous model DS's, and will not work with previous models. Nor will the older DS ACs work with the DSi.

-For those who make use of certain cards for homebrew and such, they do not work.

Also a small warning to potential importers: THERE ARE NO ENGLISH MENU OPTION SETTINGS. This is just like the Wii and further proof that the DS Stores are going to be separated by region.

Haven't messed with the other stuff like the camera yet; I'm sure it will get some laughs but it's just a novelty to me.

jax (old)

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Picked up a black DSi this afternoon and have only had a small amount of time to mess around with it. (Can't comment on lines and such because I was lucky enough to get a reserve ticket from an awesome guy, and just walked into the store, paid, and left.)

Right off the bat, the most noticeable differences for me are:

-The sound quality has been improved. The speakers are much LOUDER at the maximum setting. I ran both the same game in both DSi and the DS Lite at the same time, and I could barely hear the Lite's compared to the DSi's superior speakers.

-The screens are only a little better. It's pretty much just because they are a bit bigger on the DSi, and it helps, but it's not a huge difference to me.

-The DSi feels better in your hands than the DS Lite does. It is more comfortable to hold, and the raised L and R buttons feel MUCH better. The d-pad and face buttons don't stick out as much as the Lite's, and feel a bit "clickier" in comparison. I need to try out something like Bleach DS 2nd and see how the d-pad really fares.

-The matte finish feels very different from the glossy, Apple-like DS Lite. I am not sure if I like this better or not over the Lite.

-The unit is a bit thinner than the DS Lite, but also a bit longer.

-For those who make use of certain cards for homebrew and such, they do not work.

Also a small warning to potential importers: THERE ARE NO ENGLISH MENU OPTION SETTINGS. This is just like the Wii and further proof that the DS Stores are going to be separated by region.

Haven't messed with the other stuff like the camera yet; I'm sure it will get some laughs but it's just a novelty to me.

1) how much did you pay for yours.

2) The screens.. what does it do to scale up the resolution on DS games? I wonder about this. (Bigger pixels)?

wsippel

Banned
Jax said:
1) how much did you pay for yours.

2) The screens.. what does it do to scale up the resolution on DS games? I wonder about this. (Bigger pixels)?
This. Different size, same resolution.

Lyte Edge

I paid retail price for it. 19,800 yen. Bought at a Tsutaya.

I think this is not really that big a leap over the Lite, so unless you HAVE to have the extra stuff like the camera and the louder speakers, there's really no point in buying one, at least not until more about the DS Store is revealed. I definitely would not import one.

Where is the internet stuff, anyway? I have no option for a web browser.

Lyte Edge

Ah, thanks Lee N. I thought the DS Shop wasn't up yet!

Days like these... said:
For the love of all that is good in the world would someone please post pics of the dsi while it's actually ON.

What is it that you want to see? I am on a trip to Tokyo at the moment and only have my iPhone (and its crappy camera) with me so I don't know if I can get any good shots.

Ramenman

D-Pad said:
Can you share your flipbook animations with friends?
penis drawings v.2??!!

You can use Animanatee and share them with everyone in the world since it will convert them in .avi on demand.

khan

A guy on youtube, says that 'apparently' DSi web browser can be used to view youtube videos? Can someone with DSi plz verify this?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
sp0rsk said:
It's the same thing as the Smash Brothers pics, except it seems to be all stored in this one .bin file.

Meh... lame.

Where can i read ur impressions ? :D

Somnid

Maybe it might be of note but on the box in the compatibilities chart it makes reference to both DS cards supporting DSi and DSi exclusive game cards. The door is open for a DSi-only future.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Lyte Edge said:
Ah, thanks Lee N. I thought the DS Shop wasn't up yet!

What is it that you want to see? I am on a trip to Tokyo at the moment and only have my iPhone (and its crappy camera) with me so I don't know if I can get any good shots.

I'm just curious to see what the games look like seeing as how the screeens are larger but the resolution stayed the same (is this right?). I'm really having to fight my urge to import one at the moment.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Days like these... said:
I'm just curious to see what the games look like seeing as how the screeens are larger but the resolution stayed the same (is this right?). I'm really having to fight my urge to import one at the moment.
Me too, I want to see comparisons with side by side pics of the same game running on the Lite and the DSi.

I know it has nothing to do with this but after the PSP3000 scanlines surprise I get touchy with upgraded handheld screens.

Lee N

Membre
Days like these... said:
The resolution is the same.

yoopoo

Banned
sp0rsk said:
gaf sucks on the dsi browser. takes too long to load shit. im posting with my dsi now.

when does that animation program come out?

anywho im taking a dump at the moment so ill catch you guys later.
Disable javascript if you can, that should make is a lot faster.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
IGN said:
It should be noted, though, that you probably can't use the camera on unsuspecting strangers, as the shutter makes a sound even if you turn the system's audio all the way down.

Stalker and Voyeurs am cry......

@sp0rsk

Getting the pics over to the PC isn't too difficult. You simply have to transfer the SD card from your DS to PC. Pics that we took ended up being stored in a 101NIN02 folder under a DCIM folder that had already existed on the card. The DSi also created a "private" directory in the SD card's root. This had a mysterious "pit.bin" file buried a few directories deep. This is presumably the "management file" that the DSi says it's accessing whenever you select to read pics from SD rather than internal memory.

From IGN.... :D

CTLance

Quick question: How's the delay between pressing the snapshot button and the camera actually taking the picture? Both my mobile phone and my cheap-ass 5.2 MP have a huge delay which makes taking nice pictures very hard. I hate that stuff. So... how's the DS?
the-iek said:
a writer of our site recorded a little (17 minutes) video of the dsi: http://www.nintendo-online.de/news.php?id=3016
I'm going with the comments. The poor guy sounds utterly drained... or a wee bit drunk. :lol

Thanks, will watch.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
When watching that video of the DSi Shop, I noticed it said "Flash" somewhere in all that Japanese when downloading the web browser. Does it actually support Flash? Can someone confirm this?

I'm still not totally convinced with the DSi yet... It just seems like a minor upgrade that's being used as an excuse to keep the ancient DS hardware around another 2 or 3 years. =/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ramenman said:
You can use Animanatee and share them with everyone in the world since it will convert them in .avi on demand.

Wtf! Holy wow, I'm actually a bit impressed with that. Can't wait to see what the world creates with this!

Cygnus X-1 said:
Actually, I'm interested in first day- and first week sales. What can we expect?

400-600,000.

Top Bottom