• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Nintendo DSi Countdown

So it looks like no flash carts work with the DS. Ouch.

If there are going to be cartridge-based games that are DSi only....well, fuck them. :\

CTLance

kiruyama said:
sporsk are those pics taken with the DSi?
Yep.
2crv86s.png

dark steve said:
So it looks like no flash carts work with the DS. Ouch.

If there are going to be cartridge-based games that are DSi only....well, fuck them. :\

Why? Only interested if you can pirate games?

El Pescado said:
Why? Only interested if you can pirate games?

Not really. I use a slot-2 cart for homebrew (playing music, basically). I'm just observing the setback this means for those who were hoping to use a Slot-1 device on the DSi (at least for the time being), as well as those who thought they might be able to start developing new homebrew software for it as soon as it hit (whoever that may be).

I'm against DSi only games because I think I'm much more likely to desire a cart-based game than the online offerings. I have no interest in a DSi, because my DS Lite currently works as both my GbA and DS hardware.

Delio

I'm all for homebrew but is that really what is stopping people from buying this? Seems kinda odd that it's a reason for it. I'm sure it will be hacked for the ones who want it soon enough it's just interesting how everywhere i go that is the major reason not to get one.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Andrex said:
They are 640 x 480 pixels... :O

Makes me think: we're so used to counting photo resolution in Megapixels that the camera resolution on the DSi sounds ridiculous... 0.3MP, well, that sounds ancient compared to, say, my 100€-worth low-end 8MP camera. But really, 0.3MP is still 640*480 pixels. This means that it's still double the DS screen resolution, and equal that of an SDTV screen... Which happens to be the kind of TV I have. I can see how the DSi perfectly complements the Wii Photo Channel.

The actual quality of the photos, now, I don't know. The one taken by sporsk looks okay, I guess... Good enough, I don't know, maybe on a DS screen.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

meppi

cw_sasuke said:
0,01 & of ppl with flashcards don`t pirate...keep that shit away from future handhelds....

Be careful with that, before someone gets ban happy again. :-/

No matter if it's true or not...

cw_sasuke

meppi said:
Be careful with that, before someone gets ban happy again. :-/

No matter if it's true or not...

I didn`t know u can get banned if u are againt piracy - sry :eek:
nevermind, i still hope that the dsi will remain a flashcard free ds version...lately i`ve seen so many ds owners with flashcards in trains and ppl. keep asking about those cards in gamestores... :-/

@sp0rsk
Your impressions ? xD

meppi

I didn't know it either, until it was too late.

Anyway. Sp0rks, could you tell us what you think about the buttons?
Perhaps even test Animal Crossing out and see if it's easier to from a vertical or horizontal movement into a diagonal one?

Like several others also mentioned, I would love to see direct game comparison pictures between the DSLite and DSi.

I went from not caring too much to actually wanting one the day it's released in Europe.
Might go for a black one this time after I got 2 white DSlites. Not sure yet.

x3sphere

Good news for those who want to import. This is from NCSX:

Due to the current level of pricing, NCS recommends that customers wait 2-3 weeks for prices to drop to more reasonable levels. There's a good likelihood that prices will drop $50-$60 when the second batch makes it to market in mid-late November. One factor that might prevent this drop would be the continued erosion of the US dollar against the Japanese yen.

If it drops ~$50 I will definitely get one.

x3sphere

A Link to the Snitch said:
GAF, let's say I import. If I do, will I have access to Japan's DSiWare?

Yes but you will most likely need to use Japanese Nintendo Point cards to buy stuff (I doubt it will accept CCs from other countries).

x3sphere said:
Yes but you will most likely need to use Japanese Nintendo Point cards to buy stuff (I doubt it will accept CCs from other countries).

Ah, I see. Hope Play-Asia puts some of those up for imports (if I ever decided to import the JP DSi).

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Miyahon said:
I would love a Virtual Console service for the DSi.

Missed so many GB, GBC and GBA games... :D
I would pay unheard of amounts of money for this.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cw_sasuke said:
I didn`t know u can get banned if u are againt piracy - sry :eek:
nevermind, i still hope that the dsi will remain a flashcard free ds version...lately i`ve seen so many ds owners with flashcards in trains and ppl. keep asking about those cards in gamestores... :-/

You can't get banned for being "against piracy". You get banned for implying all of the numerous gaffers who use flashcards for the legitimate reasons are pirates. It might be the case that a majority of flashcard users are pirates, but the people on GAF using them are not and these people ought to be allowed to complain without it being implying that they are pirates.

Yoschi

at least 80-90% of the people just want to feel comfy using their current flashcard and playing the games on the DS. Good thing they did something to secure the device!

I just hope Nintendo releases some kind of way to publish your own stuff, a la iPhone. Because homebrew is indeed a pretty cool thing!
What are those companies fearing of letting the homebrewers do some stuff with their machine? Competition? Give me a break..
It may not be the easiest thing to find a structure to do that, but they should get their feet wet in that area. Be social Nintendo! Let us play with you!

cw_sasuke

Stumpokapow said:
You can't get banned for being "against piracy". You get banned for implying all of the numerous gaffers who use flashcards for the legitimate reasons are pirates. It might be the case that a majority of flashcard users are pirates, but the people on GAF using them are not and these people ought to be allowed to complain without it being implying that they are pirates.

Which i didn`t do, since i also own a r4 - though i rarely use it anymore. Nevermind i`m happy that there will be firmware updates for the dsi and those cards can`t be used for it :)

xfactor

Banned
Shiggie said:
Wow, DS did that? Sweet!
This is what worries me. People focus on the lack of GBA slot and the cam resolution so much that they doesn't know about the image and audio manipulation

next time you know, they got shock that you can decorate the pic neoprint style or tagging the photos to calendar on the DSi.

ElFly

sp0rsk said:
I have my full impressions and comparisons up.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171063

I'll answer any questions you have.

I prefer the DSi buttons and DPad by quite a lot.

I've asked this a couple of times, but without someone holding a DSi, it is hard to answer.

The AAC player works with the DSi closed? Or it shuts down like a regular game DS game?

Also, can you change the screen brightness without having to go to the main menu, like in the GBA Micro? ( I think in the micro was done with L + the volume buttons )

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
ElFly said:
I've asked this a couple of times, but without someone holding a DSi, it is hard to answer.

The AAC player works with the DSi closed? Or it shuts down like a regular game DS game?

Also, can you change the screen brightness without having to go to the main menu, like in the GBA Micro? ( I think in the micro was done with L + the volume buttons )

Yes? and Yes. Hold select and press the volume buttons to change brightness.

Wizpig

Dacvak said:
When watching that video of the DSi Shop, I noticed it said "Flash" somewhere in all that Japanese when downloading the web browser. Does it actually support Flash? Can someone confirm this?
That screen says it does NOT support flash - nor audio or videos

sprsk

No clue on battery life yet.

As for the shoulder buttons, they stick up like the DS fat, and they seem to press easier, like it takes less effort to get them to press. In general I'm pretty happy with the changes they made to all the buttons.

No flash on DS browser, btw, so this won't be your portable youtube machine.

Gmail works great though.

Shiggie

xfactor said:
This is what worries me. People focus on the lack of GBA slot and the cam resolution so much that they doesn't know about the image and audio manipulation

next time you know, they got shock that you can decorate the pic neoprint style or tagging the photos to calendar on the DSi.
I know of all that stuff already.
I meant the image quality :p. I have a micro so the GBA slot means nothing to me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
sp0rsk said:
No clue on battery life yet.

As for the shoulder buttons, they stick up like the DS fat, and they seem to press easier, like it takes less effort to get them to press. In general I'm pretty happy with the changes they made to all the buttons.

No flash on DS browser, btw, so this won't be your portable youtube machine.

Gmail works great though.

"Great"? Something actually works "great" with the browser? :eek:

How upgraded is the browser compared to the original one that was released last year?

The shoulder thing is awesome though. I was concerned about them being too small like the GBA SP's, but that's not the case apparently. Also, I hope they can take more wear than the Lite's shoulder buttons because a month of snaking ruined my left one. :/

Black really does look awesome, and I wasn't a fan of the black Lite either. Dunno which one I'll get. :eek:

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The DSi charger doesn't happen to be multi-voltage does it?

sprsk

AndriaSang said:
I couldn't get Gmail working.

I did get Yahoo Mail working through the classic edition.

I used the html version of gmail I think.

Also changing the browser to mobile mode helped reading gaf quite a bit, still holding out for that iphone version of gaf to be DSi compatible though.

maxmars

sp0rsk said:
I used the html version of gmail I think.

Also changing the browser to mobile mode helped reading gaf quite a bit, still holding out for that iphone version of gaf to be DSi compatible though.

Looks like the old DS Opera. :D Not something I'd use if I have a PC around, but good for when I only have that with me.

Sp0rsk, can you upload on the net images shot with the DSi? e.g. send them as attachment on gmail or uploading them somewhere?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Knowing NoA, white would be the only color. :/

@Yoschi: The internal memory is confirmed to be 256 megabytes. (DS games are around 10-100 MB I think.)

Also yeah Sp0rsk can you upload files from the SD card?

marwan

Banned
i know it's early, but if u log in using your U.S account on the SDshop would it switch to the American store once it's up?

also will the DSware be locked to the U.S account on the Japanese DS or locked to the american account once you access it?

edit: can you change the language to English in the mens? and has anyone tried SDHC cards such as 16GB SD cards on the DSi?

Andrex said:
Knowing NoA, white would be the only color. :/

@Yoschi: The internal memory is confirmed to be 256 megabytes. (DS games are around 10-100 MB I think.)

Also yeah Sp0rsk can you upload files from the SD card?

Sigh, Nintendo just never learn :( (I don't suppose you can run channels from SD Card either?)

wrowa

Nuclear Muffin said:
Sigh, Nintendo just never learn :( (I don't suppose you can run channels from SD Card either?)
The biggest DS cards available have a size of 2Gb (256MB) iirc. So 256MB of internal storage should be enough. I dont think that DSi Ware games will be bigger than 10 or maybe 20MB.

Top Bottom