• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lernaean

Banned
I can bet anything that Nintendo is not showing a new console this E3 and not only that but i'm sure the 'gaming press' (include any joke you like here) got that insider information by seeing the 'new Nintendo system' keyword in the N@E3 site and by reading forums.
Someone has to tell them they are not war correspondents but they are just surfing twitter and GAF to fish news.

(To be honest, I'd be just as happy if all these games I have missed were just put onto Xbox One or PS4. Either way works)

P.S. should I maybe consider Wii U? Can I literally throw the tablet slab in the trash and play the best stuff only on traditional gamepad?

And I'd be perfectly happy if Uncharted games were on XBox One. But they're not. So I buy a PS4. Seriously...

The Wii U pad is required for navigating certain system menus, notably the eShop and most setup screens, so no, right now you can't "literally throw it in the trash." It's actually a really neat, comfortable controller, so I don't know why you would want to anyway.

Zacxx201

Banned
The one thing it clearly won't be is a more powerful home console. That's pretty much the last thing it would be out of all the available choices.

Which is sad because it's the best option for them. The WiiU should've never launched. Nintendo's 3rd party support for the console is already worrying. Two years from now there's likely to be nothing but first party. Shame because the WiiU is fun, but it's just so underpowered for what we expect in consoles today.

EL CUCO

I'd buy a new, more powerful Nintendo console
before I'd buy an Xbox 1.

Make this happen, Iwata.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It is modern in the sense that it is used for most modern computers..
Factually false. 'Most modern computers' today are smartphones, where x86 is a non-factor.

.. and now consoles.
Where two use it, and one doesn't. That's a very good sample population.

It is modern in the sense that it is incredibly easy to program modern software for.
Are you a developer, per chance?

PowerPC is used for specialized things now, typically not even home electronics anymore.
Do toasters count as home electronics? If so, how many of those use x86?

I'm not sure you know what x86 is, you should do a google search, while you're at it search for PowerPC aswell.

They are both instruction set architectures for computers. PowerPC was supposed to be the next big PC architecture but it ultimately failed on that front and is now used almost exclusively for non-consumer high load processing. But I don't know what I'm talking about, right?

Cse

Banned
If only...

Unfortunately, that's their bread-and-butter.

The Gamecube didn't seem like a gimmick. Sony is also showing you don't need a gimmick to be wildly successful.

I think Nintendo is aware of their failure with the Wii U's gamepad - and realize that at this point, it's adding $40+ to the console's price that isn't worth it for most consumers.

A new, slimmer Wii U without a gamepad and a more cost efficient design could be sold for under $200, and I think it would do quite well.

In many ways, QoL will be the Wii U successor. It will get the self improvement type software that has obviously failed on Wii U. Chip design will probably be some semicustom tablet SoC.

I'd imagine Nintendo could pull a 2001, and release a new handheld and home console in the same year in 2016, especially if they complement one another.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
To think about it, if there are third-party front sources, that would actually sustain more the possibility of it being a new gaming hardware reveal, restyle or brand new console, since I don't think "traditional" third parties would be interested in the QoL. It could also be that they just heard "new hardware", without knowing anything else, and so they assumed it's a console...

ec0ec0

For what iwata said, i understand (;P) that they started the QoL plan at the beginnig of THIS year. If that was the case, it couldnt be QoL.

If it's portable it needs at least 5 hrs battery life. This 3 hr battery life crap just doesn't cut it.
A larger battery would do wonders.

scitek

My prediction:

Nintendo is cutting off the rotten WiiU limb earlier than expected as to not kill the rest of the company. It's selling at half the rate of the Gamecube, it's over. Done. Lets move on.

Hybrid portable / home console.

Maybe in a tablet form factor with circle pads and buttons on the sides and HDMI out.

Works with all Nintendo's BT controllers, Wiimote Plus and WiiU pro controller compatible.

Similar power to or maybe a little better than the WiiU so they can share Nintendo first party games moving forward and Nintendo doesn't totally bone WiiU owners.

Backwards compatible with 3DS with cart slot.

All of Nintendo's dev teams can now work on a single piece of hardware in a year to 18 months to give it continuous support throughout the year.

Nintendo will still be almost useless for AAA 3rd party games but mobile type games from 3rd parties should be there.

And with this Nintendo might remain relevant.

They're releasing MK8 in four weeks alongside a new SKU lol. Not happening.

In all honesty, if Nintendo cut the Gamepad out of a new SKU, I wouldn't be too mad. There's no other developers willing to take a shot at developing a unique game for it like Zombi U anymore, so as long as every game in the future had off-TV play, I'd be fine with it.

4DS with Donut!
ixs5CuT.jpg

Or how about a laptop sized Wii U, which is basically a giant 3DS but with Wii U power and 3D top screen what plays all things Nintendo?

Minions

If it is a Wii-U successor already, count me out on their next console. I expect more than a year and a half of support for a console.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The 3DS is fine, and will do fine.

Abort the WiiU and launch a powerful Nintendo system that can have all of the third party titles like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Elderscrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto, Red. Dead, Assassins Creed, Madden, etc etc etc

AND have technically amazing versions of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc etc etc.

That is a Nintendo system that will sell.

xandaca

Wii Treadmill U.

At best it's going to be a new handheld, most likely is a hardware revision for 3DS or Wii U. QoL seems most likely given they've already talked about it and replacing the 3DS when it's still selling well is risky and pointless. The likelihood of it being a new home console is in my opinion nearabouts nil, I can't see them launching it before November 2016 and they don't want to give people more reason not to buy a Wii U when they've still got Smash Bros and Zelda to come (and you'd hope at least two more major titles of some description).

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Odds are a new console will have BC. Problem solved.

Not really, since there is no chance a brand new Nintendo console will appear at this e3 (unless it's some sort of third tier that doesn't directly complete with 3DS or Wii-U), and I'm not waiting 2 years to play Mario Kart.

And looking at the price of the future Mario Kart bundle, it's safe to assume the new hardware rumor doesn't involve the Wii-U at all. Most likely a revision of the 3DS.

ekim

I checked the websites and changelogs of the most popular middleware developers and didn't find any mention of newly added platforms. You were able to find those mentions during the PS4/X1 prereleases.

If they were doing new hardware, they would have done a full press conference I figure.
This is Nintendo. They can do whatever the fuck they want. They can announce a 3DS sucessor, complete with a early 2016 release and a few announcements all in a ND and not bat an eye.

That said, if its anything its probably the QOL Device. But it seems to soon for it (or 3DS sucessor) since QOL is targeted to be released as soon as April 2015 to as late as March 2016.

Guess we'll see tho. You never know what to expect from Nintendo. :)

Abort the WiiU and launch a powerful Nintendo system that can have all of the third party titles like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Elderscrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto, Red. Dead, Assassins Creed, Madden, etc etc etc

Nintendo would have to improve 3rd party relations and devs would have to want to bring those types of titles to the platform. Outside of the rare occurrence, they typically don't sell well on Nintendo platforms.

People don't develop video games for a supercomputer? You are aware that both the PS3 and 360 used a PowerPC processors right? And that both Microsoft and Sony could've very well opted to use them again? You also didn't refute anything I originally stated.
The 360 and PS3 weren't supercomputers just because they were PowerPC. Sony and Microsoft went with x86 for a specific reason, it is easier to program for.

Factually false. 'Most modern computers' today are smartphones, where x86 is a non-factor.
Now you're just being difficult, you know that when I said computer I mean either a desktop or a laptop.
Do toasters count as home electronics? If so, how many of those use x86?
Again, being difficult, context is key here. We are talking about computers.

NotLiquid

They're releasing MK8 in four weeks alongside a new SKU lol. Not happening.

Yeah the fact that Nintendo are committing to a year-long marketing campaign for Mario Kart 8 and that Smash Bros and Zelda are still on the way has me severely doubting Nintendo announcing any new hardware this year that isn't the QoL stuff.

Dysun

Another 3DS revision is likely if they are announcing anything. I dont think E3 is the place for them to show off QoL.

Wii U is done and buried, cant see a major revision

I still think the Wii U Gamepad is fantastic, and actually brings something more original, and dare I say "next-gen" than anything Sony or MS have provided so far. I'd be pretty disappointed if the next Nintendo console is basically a PS4 with a Nintendo logo on it. They need to continue doing things differently in order to differentiate themselves. No point in having 3 identical consoles out there.

Another 3DS revision is likely if they are announcing anything. I dont think E3 is the place for them to show off QoL.

Wii U is done and buried, cant see a major revision

Nintendo has shown off lots of casual games / experiences (Wii Music, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit) at E3 that you wouldn't think would adhere to the typical E3 demographic.

I don't see why that can't be extended to QoL. There are loads of Nintendo fans who watch E3...maybe some of them would follow Nintendo into QoL as well.

SerodD

They are both instruction set architectures for computers. PowerPC was supposed to be the next big PC architecture but it ultimately failed on that front and is now used almost exclusively for non-consumer high load processing. But I don't know what I'm talking about, right?

Good job on the google search, it seems it was enlightening.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Maybe the new hardware is an anti-hardware. THe best thing better than a new tablet is no tablet, am i right? Like anti-gravity.

Thoraxes

Peer is one of the better people to believe rumors from. I'm more inclined to believe stuff like this if he's the one mentioning it.

Power isn't the main problem of Wii U. If it was about power only, every PS360 multiplat game would've been released on it. It's not the case.

Only real thing I can see being announced is some of the QOL stuff, or a wii U slim or revised wii tablet controller.

I don't expect Super Wii U for a few more years.

Darryl

Banned
I was originally against removing the Gamepad, but I really think it's a good idea at this point and that is all this is. This "new platform" being a Wii U without a gamepad, a lower price point, a different advertising campaign, and probably throw in some of that paid online that people seem to have grown fond of.

Instro

I would assume its QoL related or a 3ds/WiiU revision. The former of which I don't care about and the latter would depend what the features are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom