• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tcbys

Banned
Wii U Slim without the gamepad??

Or announcing The Super Wii?

In all seriousness I kinda wished they called Wii U,Super Wii for nostalgia. It would of made sense.

Salsa

Two things:

1) It's not doing well. They were already moving to DS at this point in GBA's lifespan, and GBA was selling better than 3DS is!

2) If they are really invested in the account-based, multi-device, single-platform future, they have no choice but to make sure the execution is perfect. That means they can't waste time and resources on their non-future-proof platform.

1) not doing well compared to previous standards. Nintendo isnt in previous-standards territory in general. Im saying doing well compared to other stuff they're doing. What im saying is they're not gonna go "ok this is bombing but this other thing is doing well, what do we do?? let's kill the thing that's doing well"

2) it's way too early for that future. If they're focusing In that sense the new handheld would come out around the same time as the WiiU successor

thefit

2DS tablet, they'll remove plastic spacer tgat the 2 ds has now and make it full touch but because nintendo gonna nintendo the screen is no longer color lcd but monochrome lcd like the og gameboy.

Given that it's hype time, I may as well make up some bullshit.

New handheld that can also double as controller for Wii U. Interchangeable control widgets depending on what you're using for for. You can download Wii U games to it from your Wii U and continue playing them on the move. Wii U firmware update will enable this functionality.

I would actually go for this if it were to be remotely true...

LAA

Pretty poor show if they plan on ditching Wii U, certainly won't be trusting them on the next one, at least not at launch and would be hesitant at trusting them again to be frank, I am prepared to buy a console just for Nintendo games now, and the occassional awesome 3rd party exclusive, but I've learnt my lesson not to do so at launch

That said, will be very interesting if they do. Can't see them doing it for 3DS, still seems too early for one, (Espicially so for Wii U), that and the 3DS is doing fine as it is, just needs more games if anything, (Again, espicially so for Wii U).

EDIT: Hmm a Wii U redesign possibility... Didn't think of that. But really, the Wii U needs a redesign? The Wii U is already the smallest current gen console around, does it really need a redesign just to make it potentially gamepad-less (Which I think is a bad move really and have trouble believing they'll do that, in X1's case, they're bundling in a Kinect which has limited use and even more limited in terms of gaming, and imo, havent shown why I'd want one and why I'd pay for one. Nintendo, as far as I'm concerned, did prove the use of the Gamepad leading to launch and showed us why we'd want it, though if the outcry for Gamepad-less Wii U is so great, guess it makes sense to do it)

Sandfox

If the source is to be believed, and that third parties know about it, that would imply that it in some way changes the development landscape. I think that rules out a 3DS hardware revision.

It is too early for new systems. So that leaves us with a hardware revision that alters development of future games.

Maybe it is a tually is a gamepad-less Wii U revision.
I really doubt that givrn thst Nintendo said the very opposite and they are working on NFC games.

Salsa

You also have to realize that the DS was one of a kind. It was able to have a long cycle because it's competition (PSP) wasn't able to steal the limelight from it, so it went similar to how the PS3 and x360 did. Longer cycle than normal, but it was allowed because there was no real competition from new hardware at the same time in a normal cycle

how is the 3DS vs Vita situation different? it's the same, except ALL numbers are lower now because smartphones/etc. The handheld market is smaller but Nintendo is still at the top of it.

Im just saying with the WiiU at the state that it is I highly doubt they're looking at handhelds any time soon. 3DS successor is a 2015 announcement.

Chuck

Still without luck
Yeah odds are it's going to be a revision. No way in hell they announce something worth a damn and not do it on a stage.

Wii U Slim without the gamepad??

Or announcing The Super Wii?

In all seriousness I kinda wished they called Wii U,Super Wii for nostalgia. It WOULD HAVE made sense.

FTFY
Would've is what your thinking in your mind but it's not "would of".
It's "would have" shortened to would've.

1) not doing well compared to previous standards. Nintendo isnt in previous-standards territory in general. Im saying doing well compared to other stuff they're doing. What im saying is they're not gonna go "ok this is bombing but this other thing is doing well, what do we do?? let's kill the thing that's doing well"

2) it's way too early for that future. If they're focusing In that sense the new handheld would come out around the same time as the WiiU successor

1) They did exactly that with GBA in 2004. And they were in a better position then than they are with 3DS and Wii U. When you need to get your business on track, you take drastic measures. For Nintendo, that meant DS and Wii. Today, it could mean fast-tracking the move to a multi-device architecture that lets them salvage their Wii U software efforts (Iwata says the new architecture will be based on Wii U for maximum future proofing) without the hardware execution issues.

2) Not necessarily. The iPhone didn't come out at the same time as the iPad, for instance.

Makes no sense to announce a new home console or even a revision. They purportedly have millions of stockpiled Wii Us to move.

It's probably QoL related.

That would make sense, in a weird kind of way. Back in the NES days, the first installment of an IP would be a trendsetting, beloved classic. The second game would be a bizarre, short-lived, one-off genre experimentation with a cult following. Then the third game would go back to the first game's template and blow it out of the water. See Mario, Zelda, and Castlevania.

So Wii U = Zelda 2?

BY2K

Membero Americo
The last 2 consoles they revealed at E3 they announced they would do so beforehand. Can't see why they wouldn't warn us for this one. Unless it's QoL or a revision.

I really doubt that givrn thst Nintendo said the very opposite and they are working on NFC games.

What if the new controller, let's call it pro controller plus, had NFC built into it as well?

My money is on a cheaper WiiU model. Cutting out the useless gamepad would help them achieve that.

KageZero

If they were announcing a new hardware they would hold a live show and besides if something major like a new console should be announced there would be rumours floating around long before e3, not 30 days..,

Man if that happened, GAF would explode

If it happens this would be everyone's reaction

uxae.gif

Savitar

I want to say it'll be a new version of the Wii U but I can't help but wonder if Nintendo might try another avenue and tap a market with their games.

That or maybe they'll go back into Love Hotels with a Brawl Theme...

Foshy

As I've been saying in various threads now, I'm fully expecting a new handheld from them by the end of this year (or Q1 2015 at the very latest).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom