• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolabla

Could be just an affordable Wii U gamepad so people can actually buy them.

I kind of hope it's new hardware though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good luck if you abandon ship on the WiiU and how willing people might be in supporting a new console. 3DS still doing well so I don't think they need new HW at this time hand held wise.

Xater

I'd welcome a new Nintendo handheld but it's still too early. I mean for how long Nintendo usually likes to rags things out. Looking at the declining sales it might make sense though.

I love that people are saying they are going off of the source code for the E3 site when he said that he has been told by multiple people, including someone who used to work at Nintendo and someone from a third party dev. I'm not saying that the rumor is true, but still.

Revealing a 3DS successor for a (mid-?) 2015 launch would absolutely make sense, considering the platform's recent sales trend. However, I doubt Nintendo is ready yet.

Oh c'mon, it's not needed this gen. Not at his stage.

I honestly don't know what a revision of a 3DS would be, 3DS Micro?

Depends if they want to target low end or high end.

Dunno about the low end, but they could go all the way and release a more tablet like 3DS with a screen much larger even than the XL. Obviously it would still include physical buttons.

It's extremely unlikely that there won't be a new 3DS revision this year though (would be the first year without a new handheld revision in 4~5 years)

Salsa

Revealing a 3DS successor for a (mid-?) 2015 launch would absolutely make sense, considering the platform's recent sales trend. However, I doubt Nintendo is ready yet.

?

"bad" recent sales trend = announce new hardware coming out in more than a year from now so even less people buy a 3DS today

the 3DS is fine. I doubt there's even a revision coming.

I see the pre-E3 rumour hype train is in full force. Guys, please keep your expectations in check and prepare to check into the majorly disappointment hotel. This is Nintendo. Expect another crappy 'digital event' like last year.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Nintendo is pleased to announce the Wii U Mini. We've heard your feedback, and clearly everybody wants a smaller form factor. Just by increasing the price to $750, we were able to shave a full quarter inch from the box.

?

"bad" recent sales trend = announce new hardware coming out in more than a year from now so even less people buy a 3DS today

I get the impression from Nintendo's discussions of their future architecture that they want to dump 3DS as soon as possible. Everything they invest in it will be deadweight within a few years.

mindsale

Would they release a new Wii U SKU mere days after a Mario Kart 8 bundle with the old one? Maybe that's why the bundle's so sweet?

Maybe a new portable? I mean, it made sense that the DS stayed around so long considering how much it sold, but I hear the 3DS isn't selling as well, and the time between the GBA and DS was 3 years.

They were pretty clear on the NVC episode that all they heard was "new hardware." They then went on to speculate that it's far more likely to be a revision, new SKU, etc. rather than a new platform.

In fairness to them, they said that the reason there isn't an article on the site (IGN, that is) about it is that they don't have enough to go on...but it was a fun thing to speculate about on a podcast. Also, if Nintendo announces a Smash Bros Limited Edition 3DS, they're technically right...so it's not that much of a reach to talk about it.

Parablank

3DSi BELIEVE

1. Middle of 3DS and 3DS XL sized screens, but OG 3DS sized
2. Bigger battery for 6+ hours
3. Matte finish
4. Stylus at side of handheld
5. Actual home/start/select buttons
6. More memory
7. Better camera
8. $180

tumblr_m8wnvr88o51rrdvx9o1_250.gif

If it's QoL Tech. then meh.

If it's a new handheld. then hype.

If it's a Wii U redesign or new console or beefed up Wii U. color me interested, but i'm not sure how this additional hardware, whether new or a redesign, fits in the current dynamic of Nintendo's ecosystem?

the part about hearing news regarding new hardware from a third party makes me think Wii U redesign, i can't imagine Nintendo would be able to keep a completely new console secret once third parties are involved.

FaintDeftone

I highly doubt a new handheld or console will be shown. If hardware does exist, it'll be in the form of a revision to existing hardware.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
A gamepad-only SKU. And FW support for two gamepads.

I can see them doing it like the wii U:

Announce it this year at E3, then go into more detail at E3-2015 and release it that winter/spring.

Of course this would work if it was a portable because a shorter lifespan for a portable is acceptable IMO solely because if you look at the capabilities of the vita and 3ds, and the fact that the 3ds is shying away from 3d, a new, beefier non-3d handheld could work great for Nintendo. Especially if that's why we haven't heard anything about cross-accessible VC games.

Then again, this is just my opinion. The lifespan of the DS was ~6-7 years, and the 3DS is nowhere near that old yet, but just announcing it to ensure hype could be a good thing for Nintendo.

Guess we will find out in a few weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom