• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN"s exclusive trailer is Dead Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I get the sense that this is akin to Gears to War: a trailer that doesn't completely insult me as a grown-up gamer, but a game that'll be just as adolescent as the rest of them?

I mean, I loved Gears 1 & 2, but I hated the way the trailers made the games seem like they might be poignant or understated, but then the experience of playing was completely the opposite.

How many zombie games are there? I only have like 3. Resident Evil, Dead Rising, and Left for Dead. And none of them have done what I want a Zombie game to be. An open world game where a big part of it's trusting ai characters you meet a long the way. Not saying this game will be the ideal zombie game, but I don't get the "omg another zombie game" thing. There don't seem to be that many zombie games.

ZeroGravity

Knew it wouldn't come anywhere near the hype it was getting.

wwm0nkey said:
You guys need to stop bitching about it being a zombie game. Start bitching about the 100 war games every year.
Implying one can't do both.

wwm0nkey

these are the zombie games I want to see. Long Term Survival zombie games.

Class 4 will be eating up all of my time when ever that hits. LTS zombie games seem so much more interesting than "here run though this crowd of zombies and win' or "here is a timer and some zombies...GO!"

soultron

Banned
Gravijah said:
Yeah, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for Condemned level combat. We shall see!
The preview makes it seems pretty similar in the fact that it's FP, weapons degrade and break, and that you have to source them from the environment.

The key thing from Condemned's combat that made it really interesting was the enemy reactions and AI, however. If Techland can somehow make the zombies in this game behave in interesting ways (at close range), it will really shake the combat up in a good way.

jett

D-Member
It's exactly what I thought it was gonna be.

A game nobody cared about before and still nobody will care about. Fucking IGN. Can't wait for this goddamn zombie fad to go away.

Raide

wwm0nkey said:

Class 4 will be eating up all of my time when ever that hits. LTS zombie games seem so much more interesting than "here run though this crowd of zombies and win' or "here is a timer and some zombies...GO!"

I think I have found my Zombie Battle Bro. :D

Over the last few years, there did seem to be loads of games with Zombies/Infected in them. Not much at all this year, so a few more games are fine by me!

derFeef

wwm0nkey said:

When Dead Island was announced it sounded like my dreamgame to come true. Class3/4 the same. I am pretty hyped now so to speak.

Mrbob

Trailer was pretty good but are these guys making a game or a CGI movie? The trailer is something I'll watch once and say that is cool and not really care about it again. All the screen shots I see are in third person view point. I want to see how this game plays. Cautiously optimistic as the concept sounds cool.

Alucrid

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
How many zombie games are there? I only have like 3. Resident Evil, Dead Rising, and Left for Dead. And none of them have done what I want a Zombie game to be. An open world game where a big part of it's trusting ai characters you meet a long the way. Not saying this game will be the ideal zombie game, but I don't get the "omg another zombie game" thing. There don't seem to be that many zombie games.

Killing Floor
Dead Nation
I made a game with zombies
RDR: UN
Plants vs Zombies
CoD:WaW, BO

off the top of my head. Not to mention tons of games where they also have zombies in it, despite not making up a large part of the game. It's not simply just the zombie games, but movies, books, people talking about "HOW COOL WOULD IT BE IF ZOMBIES WERE LIKE REAAL?" and just the inundation of zombie everything within the past few years.

slider

I expected to be reading a wave of backlash and hurt feelings (skipped past the first dozen or so posts). I was expecting to join in. But actually loved the trailer. I hope the game lives up to the standard set by the trailer.

DangerStepp

Alucrid said:
Killing Floor
Dead Nation
Plants vs Zombies

off the top of my head. Not to mention tons of games where they also have zombies in it, despite not making up a large part of the game. It's not simply just the zombie games, but movies, books, people talking about "HOW COOL WOULD IT BE IF ZOMBIES WERE LIKE REAAL?" and just the inundation of zombie everything within the past few years.

How could you forget Left 4 Dead 1 & 2?
Dead Rising 1 & 2

Xater

Alucrid said:
Killing Floor
Dead Nation
Plants vs Zombies

You do know that you don't have to consume all of it right?

wwm0nkey

Raide said:
I think I have found my Zombie Battle Bro. :D

Over the last few years, there did seem to be loads of games with Zombies/Infected in them. Not much at all this year, so a few more games are fine by me!
Zombies became the vampires of the video game industry for a year but they all felt too arcade-ish to me. To me this seems like a true Zombie game

Oh also for those of you getting Class 4, we are going to make a neogaf hold out area :D

ITT people pretend zombies are in some way different from Necromorphs, Helghast, Russians, Nazis, and whatever else. News flash: FPS games sink or swim based on gameplay and atmosphere, not enemy type.

Trailer was awesome.

Proven

Honestly, I'm getting tired of all of these co-op games coming out that are in first person. It's much harder to get friends to try this stuff when it's one player per console. And we don't all have TV's to support split screen.

MightyHedgehog said:
What's with the hate for zombies?
215050609_CyDQH-L-2.jpg

No one ever thinks about their feelings.

Alucrid said:
Oh come on, the selling point of that game has nothing to do with the zombies you can barely make out because the graphics aren't very good and everything to do with the goofy song. :|

You know what I hate? People bitching about games that they aren't interested in. Zombies are a fad now? WTF? Plenty of other games (more like 99.9% of other games) featuring non-zombie enemies in them.

derFeef

wwm0nkey said:
Zombies became the vampires of the video game industry for a year but they all felt too arcade-ish to me. To me this seems like a true Zombie game

Oh also for those of you getting Class 4, we are going to make a neogaf hold out area :D
Im in. But this is very far away :/

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'm so fucking stoked, I waited so long for this game. So happy it's not cancelled. Wish there were more open world serious zombie horror/survival games. Dream game for me. *crosses fingers*

Alucrid said:
Killing Floor
Dead Nation
Plants vs Zombies

off the top of my head. Not to mention tons of games where they also have zombies in it, despite not making up a large part of the game.

And there are also many games with gangsters, aliens, elves, demons, cars, soldiers and so on. No big deal. If a game is good, that's all that matters.

Alucrid

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
You know what I hate? People bitching about games that they aren't interested in. Zombies are a fad now? WTF? Plenty of other games (more like 99.9% of other games) featuring non-zombie enemies in them.

I'm just bitching because of the way this was hyped up. So many other things it could have been...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Great trailer.

Yeah, yeah we can be cynical about the reverse motion and the classic gentle music/ultraviolent visuals misdirection (John Woo had this on lockdown in the 80's) , but its a very nice little bit of footage.

Attention got. Job done.

Lets hope the game lives up to it.

NEOPARADIGM said:
ITT people pretend zombies are in some way different from Necromorphs, Helghast, Russians, Nazis, and whatever else. News flash: FPS games sink or swim based on gameplay and atmosphere, not enemy type.

Trailer was awesome.
Fighting against zombies has a huge impact on gameplay and atmosphere.

Xater

Alucrid said:
I'm just bitching because of the way this was hyped up. So many other things it could have been...

Then ignore it. You should be savvy enough to know that it would never be as good as they made it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom