• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN says stuff about PS4/MS sales. Also, Kinect is added value. Real money, yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Peggle 2, Garden Warfare, Titanfall.

All pretty good to excellent reasons to buy the XBone.

I think for the average consumer, none of those are reasons to buy an xbone. Even on neogaf, I don't think too many people care about those games.

Let's face it, the real reason people buy a next gen console is for games like call of duty and battlefield.

Jomjom

Banned
Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Peggle 2, Garden Warfare, Titanfall.

All pretty good to excellent reasons to buy the XBone.

You realize that the exact same could be said for PS4 right?

Final Fantasy XIV, Killzone:SF, Infamous: SS, Resogun, Warframe are all pretty good to excellent reasons to buy the PS4 too.

RoKKeR

Yesh , somewhat decent for fanboys I suppose. Completely hates on PS4, but has nothing but praise for XB1. Come on dude! The article is anything but balanced.

I like how it mentions very few must have games on PS4, like the One is overflowing with them.

Ign needs balanced reporting.

Is this a joke post? Honestly can't tell, Colin is a Playstation content editor at IGN.

Did you even read the article?

Omega

Banned
For the love of God/fedoras/Emma Watson/GabeN/whatever you hold dear, can we stop acknowledging this garbage site?

rdrr gnr

It creates that negative aura though. What's a must have game? Who decides?

Make your own minds up.
I can't give you an exact definition, of course, but it is probably a combination of a few things: an exclusive, AAA, critically lauded title that helps raise the profile of the entire system. I mean you wouldn't have trouble looking back at the PS3 and recommending must-have titles and if you did that independently of other posters, I'm sure final lists would look similar. With the PS4, for the moment, everything is a bit default.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The PS4 camera isn't popular because of "choice," it's popular because Sony stumbled up on a use for it that really caught on. Kinect is still nearly worthless.

Curufinwe

This ignores the fact that Sony caught the 360 due to sales outside of America. Microsoft do not have anything that will cause sales of the Xbox One outside their home market to pull ahead of PS4 sales. The gap in demand is huge, and here to stay.

The future, as you'd imagine, is far murkier and harder to predict, and I'm not necessarily convinced that PlayStation 4 is going to run away with the race in perpetuity. Let's not forget that Xbox 360 was completely trouncing PlayStation 3 -- for literally years -- and that PS3, over the long run, narrowed the gap, reaching and sustaining complete sales parity after a long, hard-fought struggle. Microsoft is more than capable of doing this with Xbox One, especially when the sales situation isn't nearly as dire for them as it was for Sony with PlayStation 3. They have the means, the smarts, and the will to change the status quo.

/s

I figured it was a little obvious with my title that things would get rahhdikulus, yo.

It is rarely a good idea to even sarcastically pose the OP in such a way to indicate one possible narrative when in fact that is not the case as many gaffers will not delve deep enough into the content presented to realize

And then threads like this happen

Azull

Yep it's utter nonsense

I assumed so, thanks for the clarification :D.

It's widely rumored and believed that Sony removed the PS Camera as a bundled in accessory in order to reach the $399 price point. Whether its true or not remains to be seen, not that it matters at this point.

Just seems weird that he states it as a fact you know? Instead of saying it like it is, a rumor. I honestly thought with the way he stated it that they did previously have it bundled in.

hodgy100

It's a well written article with some great points. That said, I really don't understand how Colin missed this contributing factor for the PS4's success: better looking multi-platform games and more powerful system.

i don't believe that's the main reason for its success, it certainly attributed to it, but I feel that the bad PR surrounding MS last year along with the price are the main reasons why the PS4 is doing well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It doesn't really seem like too bad an article. Written kinda awkwardly in places, but it is IGN.

Even if you were to grant that every title on PS4 is must have, it still doesn't have that many. It's a new console. I don't think it's so bad.

Doombacon

"Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, and the much-rumored Halo 2 Anniversary could easily even the playing field."

If thats what Microsoft is banking on this year then they are completely fucked. No offense to any of those releases but they aren't doing shit in terms of sales.

Spark and QB seem like they might be decent prospects but it would be like expecting little big planet and heavy rain to be major system sellers.

Insomniac threw a lot of their good will off a cliff recently with Fuse which makes Sunset Overdrive seem risky to purchase by itself much less with a $500 console attached to it.

I can't even imagine the state someone would be in that would have a Halo 2 remake get them to purchase a console...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's a well written article with some great points. That said, I really don't understand how Colin missed this contributing factor for the PS4's success: better looking multi-platform games and more powerful system.

And much cheaper (well before all these current discounts ongoing in the UK)

Yesh , somewhat decent for fanboys I suppose. Completely hates on PS4, but has nothing but praise for XB1. Come on dude! The article is anything but balanced.

I like how it mentions very few must have games on PS4, like the One is overflowing with them.

Ign needs balanced reporting.

You do know who wrote this, right?

He's a Sony editor, he does a weekly podcast called Podcast Beyond, a podcast about Sony.

Maybe you should do a little research before saying silly things.

BigDug13

Very few must-have games is absolutely correct.

If the XBO has "must have" games, why haven't I bought it yet? "Must have" signifies that I can't live without it.

Fact is IGN is stating as fact that games like Titanfall are "must have". What qualifies that statement? That they personally like that game? Fact for me is that I played Crackdown and inFamous more last gen than I played CoD and Battlefield so for me, Titanfall isn't "must have".

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It doesn't really seem like too bad an article. Written kinda awkwardly in places, but it is IGN.

Even if you were to grant that every title on PS4 is must have, it still doesn't have that many. It's a new console. I don't think it's so bad.

Both consoles are breaking records though, even with the lack of a lot of "must-have" titles.

viveks86

Looks like I've just been buying games cuz I have nothing better to do. What is their definition of must-have? Why is it crazy and confusing when it's been just 6 months? I hate it when people make such subjective remarks like fact that applies to everyone.

One can argue that gaming itself is not a must-have. So why are so many people gaming? "Crazy and confusing" eh?

Otherwise the article isn't too bad. Quite well written, actually.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeesh....
I love my PS4 and play it regularly, but it's only "must have" exclusive so far is Resogun, imo. Most of the games I've bought on it have been multiplatform games and games that have were released on PC months ago. I've been very happy with the offerings, but they're by no means "must have".

Mononoke

Banned
Well, I can see his point in a larger sense. It is crazy that BOTH systems have sold this well, given that neither has any must have games. Or rather, it's crazy they sold this well -- so quickly, given the circumstances. As for why it's selling more than Xbox One, that's not that crazy at all. It's $100 cheaper, and has better specs/hardware. For many, that's a no brainer. So I don't really see this as any kind of revelation, or phenomena that can't be explained.

The thing is, the majority of games bought in a given year by consumers will be multiplats. So it makes sense to get a "new console" that is at the better price + has better performance (although I think the average consumer cares more about the former point, not the latter). Yeah, this article isn't really bad. But IMO it's not really saying anything new or profound.

N.Domixis

Banned
I thunk it actually makes ps4 seem unstoppable, they don't have games and are still outselling their competition by alot.

Curufinwe

The article is actually really good.

I disagree. The faulty analogy with the PS3 situation really lets it down.

The PS3 was not price competitive with the 360 until 2009 when they introduced the Slim.

The Xbone is already price competitive with the PS4 thanks to price cuts and free games and it hasn't helped, even in America.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I love my PS4 and play it regularly, but it's only "must have" exclusive so far is Resogun, imo. Most of the games I've bought on it have been multiplatform games and games that have were released on PC months ago. I've been very happy with the offerings, but they're by no means "must have".

I don't have an issue with saying PS4 is lacking must-haves, I think it is funny they single PS4 out for the lack of must-haves.

I don't think either console have that many games that I am interested in, hence I haven't bought either yet.

Looks like I've just been buying games cuz I have nothing better to do. What is their definition of must-have? Why is it crazy and confusing when it's been just 6 months? I hate it when people make such subjective remarks like fact that applies to everyone.

One can argue that gaming itself is not a must-have. So why are so many people gaming? "Crazy and confusing" eh?

Must-have games involve puppies. Cute adorable puppies.

The NDS entertainment system with all versions of Nintendogs is the greatest system to grace this planet. Subjectivity 0, Cute Puppies 1

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If the XBO has "must have" games, why haven't I bought it yet? "Must have" signifies that I can't live without it.

Yes, it's true that the X1 is short on must-haves as well. IGN dude's point is that there isn't a difference in the number of must-haves between consoles that would explain the huge difference in demand/sales.

He said it in a way that was sure to prompt "X1 too!" responses (it was my very first thought as well) but it makes sense if you think about it in terms of trying to figure out what is driving the disparity in sales.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Who said it does?

Xbox One is a quality machine that I use almost every day, but I rarely use it to play games, and that says it all.

The selective OP quote is not meant to imply the opposite.

IGN still on that Microsoft money train eh? I stopped visiting their site about 10 years ago. About the "so few" must have games, I've enjoyed every game I've played on PS4 so far, Knack, Infamous, Killzone, Assassin's Creed and Resogun. Mercenary Kings is also pretty decent.

Note that the athor was Colin Moriarty

Part of their Playstation team, and the guy who wrote the "Vita is Set to Succeed" article
I highly doubt its the Microsoft money train

Nice selective quoting OP

DryvBy

It is rarely a good idea to even sarcastically pose the OP in such a way to such one possible narrative when in fact that is not the case as many gaffers will not delve deep enough into the content presented to realize

And then threads like this happen

I'm not critical of the entire article. Just those two points I posted. The implication that Microsoft will somehow do better in Japan = ???. At least, that's how I take it when they're bringing it up that Microsoft has a chance in Japan because the PS4 isn't sold out there. The statement that Kinect is added value almost feels like a written advert.

After that portion, I liked the entire article and agreed. See, I only pin-pointed certain segments that were just stupid. It's like when you read the Titanfall preview on IGN. It's not an overall horrible preview. But there's key stupid statements made that are just ... bad.

USC-fan

Banned
People dont buy a platform for just one game. Ps4 is selling well because sony knock it out the park with the hardware.

Ps4 has a tons of game released and announced. More than any other platform. Ps+ is making each month more and more ps3/vita owners jump into next gen. Since they already has 5 ps4 games for free.

Ms was banking on must-have games like titanfall to keep up but it not helping.

oti

Banned
First the Angry Joe YouTube vs. IGN stuff, then Microsoft "not just hype" marketing and now this thread? Guys, what does that say about us?

Relax, have fun, smile.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i hear that proprietary indignation goggles are the #1 seller (monthly) on amazon. people just can't get enough of turning even the most even handed article into a raging indictment of whichever device they hold close to their heart.

i don't believe that's the main reason for its success, it certainly attributed to it, but I feel that the bad PR surrounding MS last year along with the price are the main reasons why the PS4 is doing well.

Right, but he listed a number of reasons. And the system's power is one that certainly warrants a paragraph in the article. Better looking multi-plats is important to the hardcore audience, especially in the context of the price disparity.

And much cheaper (well before all these current discounts ongoing in the UK)

For sure, though he mentioned that. He didn't mention the system's power advantage, which I find a bit strange because it's one of the core differentiators of the PS4.

LAA

Yeah IGN has felt very on MS' s side most of the time (or simply any game that has a lot of hype behind it to the point where it gets embarrassing to read at times), so don't really take what they so seriously. Haven't for a while honestly.

That real money value makes no sense to me either, ha ha, doesn't the PS4s better hardware have really money value whatever that means.
Sorta hating the term must have too, cause it's really subjective. I don't think either console has a must have yet to me, there are games I'd get if I got either console, but that's simply because I have to get something for it of course. I think the better word for it to me is a system seller, but many games can be system sellers for many different people. Titanfall is probably the closest the X1 has to a system seller, but it's not to me personally and I imagine others. For PS4, probably infamous is closest, but I think it's more the 3rd party games actually like AC4 or MGSV GZ.

I'm not critical of the entire article. Just those two points I posted. The implication that Microsoft will somehow do better in Japan = ???. At least, that's how I take it when they're bringing it up that Microsoft has a chance in Japan because the PS4 isn't sold out there. The statement that Kinect is added value almost feels like a written advert.

After that portion, I liked the entire article and agreed. See, I only pin-pointed certain segments that were just stupid. It's like when you read the Titanfall preview on IGN. It's not an overall horrible preview. But there's key stupid statements made that are just ... bad.

But nowhere did the author indicate belief the XB1 would sell better?

He said PS4 is selling poorly in Japan and that the XB1 has yet to release there. Both true statements

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Kinect sucks and it always has. The sooner they scrap it the better.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The hardcore, even journalists, are focusing so much on "must haves" in the sense of epic exclusive games - the math for PS4 seems pretty damned simple. It's a freakin' hundred bucks cheaper, and it has the next-gen editions of all the games the masses want. In other words, it has games.

So does the Xbox One, but the perception caused by the bundling of Kinect ("Microsoft is ripping you off by forcing an expensive accessory on you") and the reality of the price appears to be a killer combo.

SFenton

I can't even imagine the state someone would be in that would have a Halo 2 remake get them to purchase a console...

I can. The original Halo 2 multiplayer is one of the most revered experiences in console gaming. The servers for Xbox are dead, rendering the online component on console useless. If they can bring back that multiplayer, with all the original glitches, gameplay, and everything else *nailed*, you can bet a lot that Halo 2 will sell systems.

Big if, but one that a lot of people on GAF seem to agree on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom