• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN says stuff about PS4/MS sales. Also, Kinect is added value. Real money, yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
Ah well, I've said my peace. The article to me is just fine. Nothing great or bad about it. I agree that OP's should try to stay away from singling out certain aspects in an article (unless it's a major thesis, or point to the article). But yeah.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm aware of this, but the article is seriously unbalanced in its arguments. It gives too much praise to the XB1, but none to the PS4. Is that fair in your opinion?

The majority of the article praises the PS4 and goes through steps it went to accomplish its well earned success through the difference in perception, cost, sony understanding the core gamer and appropriately catering to them.

mr_chun

This thread. My god. Misinterpretations abound because people can't be bothered to look past the OP and actually read the source.

DryvBy

Exactly, I really see no other reason for such an incompetent article

It's articles like that embarrass the gaming community as a whole

You may want to read the entire thing. It's just the beginning that's kind of weirdly written. After the Kinect deal, it makes valid points that I can agree too. Nothing wrong with an article saying they want more games.

BigDug13

I never played it, but curious. Could that be nostalgia talking? For many it may have been the first online gaming experience they had on a console so it might resonate more, but surely there have been better multiplayer experiences in the last decade.

Of course that's what it is. Fact is that console FPS games after Halo 2 have done it better. But rose colored glasses for people's first online FPS game taints it.

SFenton

Individual releases like TLOU isn't meant to sell systems. It's meant to incrementally improve the vast library of games that PS4 is amassing which taken as a whole will be a system seller.

Right, I agree with you. That's what I think the difference is- Halo 2 Anni *will* be poised as a system seller by Microsoft. And in doing so, it'll sell a few systems, but it won't be a "system seller" in the traditional sense.

Those are good points about SOE as well. I'd really love something similar over on XB1.

Jomjom

Banned
I'm aware of this, but the article is seriously unbalanced in its arguments. It gives too much praise to the XB1, but none to the PS4. Is that fair in your opinion?

To be fair, Colin is not the type to waste time praising the PS4 for what it's done right (as an avid listener of both Beyond and Unlocked, is frankly more of Mitch Dyer's style). He primarily focuses on criticism in the hopes of shoring up Playstation's weaknesses. I can see why he didn't really focus too much on Xbone's weaknesses because that's not what this article is really about. I see this as an extension of what he does on Beyond, which is to highlight what Sony could be doing better, while what Sony has done right is great and all, but really doesn't need much more said about it.

I think if you asked him directly, he would say the Xbone also has few must-have games. It's just that this article wasn't really focusing on the Xbone's issues, but rather on PS4's.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
He didn't say game-less. What good is his argument if the type of game goes without qualification. Do we only value the number in isolation? There are a ton games released for mobile and PC platforms every week. Some will be good, most will be unremarkable, and many will be terrible. You immediately how different those games are from he is implying. It may be a bit early for "must-haves" but his article, in context, makes sense.

As an opinion piece. It's not what I think nor do many others who've been enjoying gaming on PS4. I will vehemently echo this sentiment anytime someone tries to discredit even Vita's lineup.

Not a bad article. I always do enjoy reading Colin's pieces.

When reading it, it's not so bad. The cherry picked quotes set the tone though.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
for all the games journalism in here, i can guarantee you that this thread is making the rounds right now as a shining example that it doesn't even matter if a sony affiliated writer puts together a pretty balanced summary of how things stand, if it doesn't pay tribute to the army of sony children who only want to hear nice things said about their favourite device, they'll get treated like dirt anyway.

Paches

After actually reading the article, I found it to be perfectly fine.

I am confused by the people who claim he would be on the take from Microsoft when he repeatedly says how the Sony did everything right in the lead up to launch and Microsoft failed.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
they failed to mention xbox just released there main game of the year they banked shit loads on titanfall being basically the next cod money ride and so its not a failure but by all means is it the success they wanted either.

RoKKeR

The majority of the article praises the PS4 and goes through steps it went to accomplish its well earned success through the difference in perception, cost, sony understanding the core gamer and appropriately catering to them.

Essentially this. I don't see how it's unbalanced in it's handing out of praise. Sure the games comment is a bit iffy but I see where he is coming from with it if I'm honest.

Papercuts

You may want to read the entire thing. It's just the beginning that's kind of weirdly written. After the Kinect deal, it makes valid points that I can agree too. Nothing wrong with an article saying they want more games.

It's saying the Kinect is added value in pricetag with that statement, which is obviously a big factor/talking point.

-MD-

No it's not. Not everyone wants to be hunched over a keyboard and mouse to play FPS games, and on PC you need to be hunched over a mouse and keyboard to be competitive. Also, many people don't want to fuck with settings. I spend more time in my menus and using third party frame limiter apps on my 7970m laptop than I do actually playing the games. And I still experience unexplained framerate dips. Do I need more drivers? Do I need to slick my windows 7 load? Do I need to buy Windows 8 to take advantage of new DirectX features?

To simply say "multiplats are better on PC therefore PS4 being better for multiplats is moot" is FALSE. First of all, check out any PC performance thread for any new release and see page after page of frustration over their game not performing properly either due to their lack of spending money on beefier hardware or simply unoptimized code.

Man, gaming on a laptop sounds terrible.

Which $400 PC should I buy to play AC4 on?

This'll never get old.

avaya

for all the games journalism in here, i can guarantee you that this thread is making the rounds right now as a shining example that it doesn't even matter if a sony affiliated writer puts together a pretty balanced summary of how things stand, if it doesn't pay tribute to the army of sony children who only want to hear nice things said about their favourite device, they'll get treated like dirt anyway.

tell me more

BigDug13

Man, gaming on a laptop sounds terrible.

I'm throwing up worst case scenarios here and this doesn't apply to many games. But the fact that it has to apply to ANY games is a knock against this idea that "PC gaming is by far the best and it's stupid to compare console game performance". Because not everyone wants to hassle with it.

LiquidMetal14

While I don't disagree with you, you saying "Sony Army" doesn't do you much favors. I will always defend good games so my personal take in the thread is more with certain comments made in this thread more so with the piece. But to blanket statement a "Sony Army" is PC master race bad in my opinion.

I keep seeing sunset overdrive pop-up and how good it looks... Did they release a realtime, walkthrough or trailer comprising of actual gameplay that I missed?

...Even as an X1 owner, I find it hard to give two f***s given the pedigree of the developer whose quality took a sharp dive in recents years. What was insomniacs last legit, good game?

mreddie

May isn't looking good for Microsoft.

Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein as well as MLB 14 on PS4 could give Sony bragging rights for the summer.

I was ready to rage but then I read the article and I didnt find an "obvious" bias towards Microsoft like the title implies. Weird choice by the OP.

I read the article earlier and liked it very much, I actually told Colin on twitter that I liked it except the point about upcoming games on Ps4 beeing so few in comparison to XboxOne.
I was in legit shock when I saw this thread.
GAF can do better. At least read articles before judging them...

I keep seeing sunset overdrive pop-up and how good it looks... Did they release a realtime, walkthrough or trailer comprising of actual gameplay that I missed?

...Even as an X1 owner, I find it hard to give two f***s given the pedigree of the developer whose quality took a sharp dive in recents years. What was insomniacs legit, good game?

List wars man. List wars.

DryvBy

It's saying the Kinect is added value in pricetag with that statement, which is obviously a big factor/talking point.

Right, although I did chuckle with real money as opposed to Monopoly money. But the added value in experience? Do they mean man-power?

It's just badly worded stuff. As I said, it's not a terrible article. It's just got some gibberish writing in there. It's almost like I wrote it.

Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein as well as MLB 14 on PS4 could give Sony bragging rights for the summer.

Egad. MLB 14 is the only thing coming to PS4 exclusively. Wolfenstein is even 1080p on the XBO, if I remember right.

BigDug13

It should be a bannable offense to purposefully misrepresent an article's contents and use selective quoting to incite heated discussion.

rdrr gnr

I read the article earlier and liked it very much, I actually told Colin on twitter. I was in legit shock when I saw this thread.
To be fair, the OP's beanie, the thread's title, and the first three posts really set a terrible tone for the rest of the discussion.

I didn't read the whole thing to be fair, but most of the praise is for Sony's business savvy. The system itself? Not so much! It seems the tone of the piece to much on pointing out the systems shortcomings vs the One when talking about the systems themselves.

I'll read the whole thing later, but I just feel Colin's opinions were too one sided to make the PS4s success seem like it wasn't because it is a great system.

FartOfWar

Banned
Yeah, just some indies and maybe a few must-haves. Throwing a dog a bone and such.

I never said it wasn't but the first part of it is kind of ... well, Kinect is value. Real money.

Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. Everyone else understands that "added value" as it appears in that story speaks to the way Microsoft felt they were framing the Kinect. The writer actually suggests that he suspects MS might soon sell Xbox One without Kinect. You got caught trying to stir the console warrior pot.

hovito

Neo Member
Man, seems like people really, REALLY don't like to read anymore.

Instead of knee-jerk reactions to the OP's poor summary, just read the article. It doesn't say anything controversial in the least.

Curufinwe

This thread. My god. Misinterpretations abound because people can't be bothered to look past the OP and actually read the source.

I read it and found the author made unjustifiable leaps of logic here

The future, as you'd imagine, is far murkier and harder to predict, and I'm not necessarily convinced that PlayStation 4 is going to run away with the race in perpetuity. Let's not forget that Xbox 360 was completely trouncing PlayStation 3 -- for literally years -- and that PS3, over the long run, narrowed the gap, reaching and sustaining complete sales parity after a long, hard-fought struggle. Microsoft is more than capable of doing this with Xbox One, especially when the sales situation isn't nearly as dire for them as it was for Sony with PlayStation 3. They have the means, the smarts, and the will to change the status quo.

And here:

Sony has sold PlayStation 4 with few must-have games, but the market that wants the console just to have it shrinks every time someone purchases one. Before long, Sony will need to deliver those triple-A goods, and the truth is that, at least in 2014, the company doesn't have much. The Order: 1886 is supposed to come out this year, and the much-delayed Driveclub is, too, and that's basically it. While Sony could have more to show at E3 -- and will have much more in the years to come, like Uncharted 4 -- Microsoft's upcoming catalog in the immediate future is far stronger. Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, and the much-rumored Halo 2 Anniversary could easily even the playing field. Yes, Titanfall was counterbalanced by Infamous: Second Son, but what does Sony have to battle each of those games as the year wears on?

It's a poor article. A better one would have reflected on the fact that all the hype about Titanfall was not enough to get the Xbone above the PS4 in America, and used that to cast doubt on the idea that much less marketable games like Project Spark and Sunset Overdrive are going to "even the playing field".

IGN confirms they believe Microsoft can do better in Japan.
/s - It wasn't apparent enough for some.

That Kinect - added REAL LIFE MONEY!

The rest isn't that bad, since I apparently have to point that out. For more IGN greatness, it awaits here:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/18/playstation-4-is-winning-the-war-whats-next

Its ALWAYS about price point. Anyone who thought MS would somehow compete with a $100 higher price point (and less powerful hardware to boot...dat word of mouth) was/is certifiable or has a vested interest in pushing Xbone sales.

I own a couple Xbones and love Titanfall. But, if I'm being honest the only "value" I've gotten out of my Kinect 2.0s is the possibility of selling them on eBay. Aside from having fun with Dragon Shouts in Skyrim for 15 minutes, Kinect 1.0 was 100% useless to me and thus far Kinect 2.0 isnt looking to change that reality any time soon.

LiquidMetal14

I read the article earlier and liked it very much, I actually told Colin on twitter. I was in legit shock when I saw this thread.

You know, I agree.

BUT

What happened to taking responsibility with making the right thread without cherry picking statements to fire things up and create a negative slant? I know these thread makers want their threads to have high traffic akin to a restaurant owner wanting many patrons but it skews conversation in the wrong way. Look at the title itself. I would have chosen a more on point and boring one but the thread might not be the same due to me representing the tone of the article a little more honestly.

To be fair, the OP's beanie, the thread's title, and the first three posts really set a terrible tone for the rest of the discussion.

Fiddlesticks, always those outlaw booger picking beanie fiends!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

In all honesty, just about every game on the ps4 will be bragging rights for Sony. They have straight up better hardware, in just about every aspect. If you are excited to play a console game, there is no reason to choose an xbone version over the ps4.

Salex_

Wouldn't the PC be a better option for that kinda thing?

This is a rhetorical question, it is in fact a better option for that kinda thing.

Apparently the market says otherwise, so it's not a rhetorical question. Majority of multiplats sell better on a single console vs their PC counterpart.

BigDug13

Man, seems like people really, REALLY don't like to read anymore.

Instead of knee-jerk reactions to the OP's poor summary, just read the article. It doesn't say anything controversial in the least.

I think people expect balanced quoting from Thread creators, not fanboy "Faux-News-Worthy" out-of-context spin quotes.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Right, although I did chuckle with real money as opposed to Monopoly money. But the added value in experience? Do they mean man-power?

It's just badly worded stuff. As I said, it's not a terrible article. It's just got some gibberish writing in there. It's almost like I wrote it.

Egad. MLB 14 is the only thing coming to PS4 exclusively. Wolfenstein is even 1080p on the XBO, if I remember right.

it's not badly worded, you just seem to have issues processing anything more rhetorical than a bank statement.

Speechless...

Papercuts

I took experience as using kinect voice commands to navigate around and stuff like that. Experience of using it with the console or whatever.

Amir0x

Banned

Seriously, this was a bad article to try to highlight for this OPs point. I was really surprised as I read the article that it was the same one that was highlighted by the OP with selective quotes. As I said in my response, some of the stuff is downright on the nose regarding why PS4 is resonating with the market. I find it hard to believe the OP really read the article well, or if he was intentionally trying to misconstrue its contents for a point.

The end of the article I'd disagree with the conclusions, especially about the "what does Sony have to compete with Quantum Break/Sunset Overdrive" stuff (completely ridiculous), but I disagree with it as a point, I don't see any evidence of an agenda behind those points.

Tookay

The weirdly defensive tone that some Sony fans have on this forum while WINNING THE CONSOLE WAR is off-putting and tiresome, honestly. It's like some of you are actively looking for things to get outraged about at this point.

And I say this as a PS4 owner and somebody who decided I was done with the Xbox brand 5-6 years ago, but you guys are embarrassing.

mdubs

Banned
So clearly a big number of people in this thread didn't actually read the article in question. The OP should have come up with a more representative thread title instead of trying to incite people.

GlamFM

Banned

Exactly. Just read the entire thread and I'm actually in shock.

What the fuck is going on here?

mreddie

I know but I get a feeling it's gonna sell more on PC/PS4 even on 360 than XBONE. Playstation will likely promote the hell out of Watch Dogs seeing they have exclusive content. MLB might be a trump card.

PlimpyD

Neo Member
Added value hardly translates to real life money. Furthermore the Xbox does actually have the better AAA exclusives. It's undeniable the PS4 smashes it out of the park with indies though.

I live in Australia and here there's only a $50 difference between the two. Considering the Xbone comes with a game and kinect it's clearly the much better deal in terms of value.

viveks86

I am confused by the people who claim he would be on the take from Microsoft when he repeatedly says how the Sony did everything right in the lead up to launch and Microsoft failed.

This.

I think cherry picking content from an article is fine. A thread is about multiple conversations and everyone doesn't have to talk about the holistic merits of the article. But let's not derail the thread with baseless accusations of bribery. It's childish to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom