• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN says stuff about PS4/MS sales. Also, Kinect is added value. Real money, yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing sunset overdrive pop-up and how good it looks... Did they release a realtime, walkthrough or trailer comprising of actual gameplay that I missed?

...Even as an X1 owner, I find it hard to give two f***s given the pedigree of the developer whose quality took a sharp dive in recents years. What was insomniacs last legit, good game?

Nope, who knows where the hype is coming from. Insomniac is a mediocre studio nowadays. Honestly, at this point PS4 has more games yet people continue saying otherwise. It's baffling.

I don't understand why a lot of media is so biased, I mean is there actually a reason for that?

And also, why do people have such a hard time understanding that others are buying PS4s for multiplats and not juste exclusives

RoKKeR

Seriously, this was a bad article to try to highlight for this OPs point. I was really surprised as I read the article that it was the same one that was highlighted by the OP with selective quotes. As I said in my response, some of the stuff is downright on the nose regarding why PS4 is resonating with the market. I find it hard to believe the OP really read the article well, or if he was intentionally trying to misconstrue its contents for a point.

The end of the article I'd disagree with the conclusions, especially about the "what does Sony have to compete with Quantum Break/Sunset Overdrive" stuff (completely ridiculous), but I disagree with it as a point, I don't see any evidence of an agenda behind those points.
Selective quoting really does wonders.

FartOfWar

Banned
for all the games journalism in here, i can guarantee you that this thread is making the rounds right now as a shining example that it doesn't even matter if a sony affiliated writer puts together a pretty balanced summary of how things stand, if it doesn't pay tribute to the army of sony children who only want to hear nice things said about their favourite device, they'll get treated like dirt anyway.

Oh man, I missed your post. Would've saved me the time.

Curufinwe

So clearly a big number of people in this thread didn't actually read the article in question. The OP should have come up with a more representative thread title instead of trying to incite people.

Perhaps, but the article doesn't get better if you read the whole thing. Colin's blithe assumption that because the PS3 was in trouble in 2007 and rebounded to close the gap that the Xbone can to, completely ignores market realities.

Nope, who knows where the hype is coming from. Insomniac is a mediocre studio nowadays. Honestly, at this point PS4 has more games yet people continue saying otherwise. It's baffling.

I don't understand why a lot of media is so biased, I mean is there actually a reason for that?
$

Saying the PS4 has "Very few must have games" is a very accurate statement. Not really sure what issue with that is.

Neither does the X1 then. Closest thing it has to must have is Titanfall but inFamous sold very well as well. why is TF a must have while infamous isn't

watershed

Banned
I think the OP is misinterpreting the Xbox One Kinect part. The writer is saying Microsoft saw the Kinect as added value. But the next sentence makes clear that consumers have spoken and Microsoft was wrong.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Oh man, I missed your post. Would've saved me the time.

He should get into the thread making business then.

I see there are some inflamatory statements being made. My personal takes have been disputing certain posts. The TC is what it is and I've already said my piece.

I still don't think ghst worded his statement in a bullet proof manner. I actually agree with the point but not in the delivery.

hawk2025

The article is mostly fine. A lot of people should actually read through it carefully before homing in on one or two slightly off coments instead.

I do believe that the last couple of days, however, has painfully highlighted how a lot of the press are less capable of proper data and statistical analysis than the worst of my Econometrics and Economics 101 students.

There's a fundamental misunderstanding that's pervasive to the industry on:

- statistical sampling
- statistical inference from incomplete data
- Missing at random data vs. Selection bias

- Stock vs. flow and how it relates to data in a dynamic setting (this one is pretty surprising: I figured it was a very intuitive concept)
- Demand and Supply
- Demand response to price shifts

Colin's article actually avoids most of these trappings, but the past day has been a hodgepodge of awful articles that fail to account for these in several ways.

pompidu

Ign has really bad writers. The article says "whats next" and then proceeds to write about everything but "whats next".

Gxgear

The piece is pretty much just IGN's thinking out loud with a recap on the state of next-gen. This thread feels pretty misleading.

Superfrog

The article is actually pretty spot-on. I'm not sure what the fuzz is all about. The author mentions that MS included mandatory Kinect for added value and points out that they expected people to honor that "value" by happily paying more money. It's not saying that this is justified, there is no opinion on this.

The lack of must-have (exclusive) games for PS4 is a fact, and it doesn't seem to me that this statement was made in relation to the XBO exclusive lineup. It's just saying that the PS4 is selling like hotcakes despite not having any must-have exclusives. And that this is currently NOT the case in Japan (again, no XBO relation here).

BondFancy

How can you doubt them after the success of 360 in Japan?

theyre-opening-a-xbox360-store-in-japan-no-seriously-evilcontrollers.jpg

I laughed way too hard at this LOL

B.O.O.M

I'll admit to not even clicking the link because I don't generally care to read this sort of thing, but you're not really helping your argument when you misread a statement like that.

In mentioning "real money" in that statement, the writer is stating that the inclusion of the Kinect increased the actual price of the console. Not that the Kinect prints money.

Increased price is not equal to increase in 'value'

Unless I'm misunderstanding the sentence it is in, I believe he's saying that they made a bet on the Kinect in terms of experience (the motion control experience) and real world money (the additional price)

I think it's a very poorly worded statement. it reads like MS bet on experience and real money, in which case it's either they bet their 'experiences' (whatever that means) and expenses on the inclusion of kinect

or Kinect adds value by the means of experiences and real money...in which case real money could only mean the price tag. That makes no sense, increase in price isn't an increase in value.

Either way just poorly worded

Not the point within the context of what the author was talking about.

Then perhaps I misunderstood because the statement seemed as though it was implying the X1had "must have" games when it's on the same boat as PS4 (even though I think both consoles have plenty of games)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ugh, really poor read on the article, OP. If anyone wants to create a new thread to discuss it in a way that isn't, like, bad, go ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom