• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Skyrim on Switch first hands on gameplay video

Mesoian

The issue is that I've been big into the open-world stuff so I'd hate to buy it only for it to not be my thing.

I've already wasted money on Binding of Issac after multiple assurances that it's really good only to find it out it's not for me.

I mean, it's the game that most of the big open world games are sort of basing themselves on, for better or worse.

Honestly, it's hard for me to recommend over Skyrim on the PC just because of the mod support. IMO - Skyrim is top 50 games of all time, Modded Skyrim is top 5.

I'm disappointed they didn't try harder with the motion controls. Skyward Sword level accuracy would have been awesome and a real reason for those who already played to jump back in. Red Steel controls isn't really fun for most people.

Pretty much every gamer I know has played Skyrim, and Zelda has me in the mood for more adventures of that nature on the go, so I'm going to try and pick this up.

I really hope they make it easy on me and launch at a reduced price. I would likely wait until I could get it for $40 w/ GCU before jumping in. The game is available for cheaper on a ton of systems I already own, so I don't have any intention of paying full price.

It's a bigger deal than Xenoblade 2 so surely they'll push it.

This bothers me for some reason even if it's true. Pretty impressive it managed 4 mil on PS4/XBO 5 years after initial release. I really shouldn't hold my breath for a reduced price should I?

Edit: Didn't know the other late versions also released for $60. I guess it's all but guaranteed then.

13ruce

Banned
Ah i have to watch that crappy video player.
Oh well will report back soon.

Edit: looks like skyrim alright i dig the motion controls as i loved em in Zelda TP and Skyward Sword.

Hopefully magic can be used with motion control too. This is the third time i am goin to buy skyrim...

I bought this on PC, so I have no idea if this game ran well on 360/ps3. I'm assuming if it ran well on those systems, isn't it a bit safe to assume it'll run better on switch? (since it is a wee bit more powerful)

OG Skyrim ran like garbage on PS3.

Switch is far more powerful than either. Not a wee bit.

This looks like the remastered version anyway.

Smeags

Can we all agree that Nightengale armor is the coolest armor ever?

1282ceedbab0b8ba0ad12361345f2d22.png

redcrayon

Is it though? I feel like most people who wanted to play Skyrim have already done so on other platforms.
Skyrim still charts in the top selling games every year, it's an evergreen title. You could say the same for GTAV but people are still picking it up in huge numbers every month. The addition of finally being able to play a huge wrpg on a Nintendo portable is going to help, plus it'll be six years old at the point it releases- a lot of new kids have entered the hobby in that time and it might as well be a new game to them.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Would prefer Skyrun2 instead of another port but what the fuck ever nintendo...

Also want Diablo 3 like that other guy said

Isurus

This is going to sell a lot.

Think so? I don't know. I've played it to death on two different consoles now. I'm not going to be dipping for the third time. Given the lack of AAA titles on the Switch though, people may end up wetting their appetite with this, so you may be right.

Can't wait to play this undocked.

For some reason I find playing full size console games on a handheld so enjoyable.

The Switch is what I wanted the Vita to be.

Man I just think about how I'd love a mini playstation that allowed me to play all the ps4 games, remote play on vita doesn't count for me.

I was playing the AC game on the Vita the othe day and...yeah. The Vita just wasn't powerful enough for "full" console games. The Switch works much better in that regard.

I've already played like 300 hours of Skyrim on PC. Curious to see how it runs on Switch, but it's going to be a hard sell for me at 60 dollars. Maybe if it was 20 I would buy it just as a novelty.

Vlade

Never played Skyrim. I might buy this and give it a go because it's on the Switch.

On the other side, I happen to know Jim Sterling will be buying this so he can do all the same shit he's already done, only this time at an airport.

I have a feeling these descriptions cover a million people.

OCD Guy

I was playing the AC game on the Vita the othe day and...yeah. The Vita just wasn't powerful enough for "full" console games. The Switch works much better in that regard.

I know some people crap on the Switch for being "underpowered" but a portable machine being as powerful as a PS3/Xbox 360 is amazing in my opinion.

If I was able to play Motorstorm, Last of Us, Uncharted 2 on a portable console, fuck...

I really hope more third parties jump on the switch so we get even more AAA games.

Anyway I'll be buying Skyrim unless it's a real shitty port, but from the limited video it looks great.

heringer

Can't watch the video. Did they show undocked mode? I hate when people don't show undocked mode, it's the true mode. :(

Zedark

Can't watch the video. Did they show undocked mode? I hate when people don't show undocked mode, it's the true mode. :(
They only showed undocked mode, in fact. Looks good, but I can't determine from the limited footage whether it's Special Edition.

Arguably. Even if it's playing super consistently (which is a feat in and of itself), this is still vanilla skyrim (SE).

If the previous trailer is anything to go by then it's pretty obviously not vanilla Skyrim.

Stills from the last trailer had noticeable differences from similar stills taken from the PS4 version, yet still feature the remastered lighting and denser foliage than vanilla

The Switch really does hit a minimum quality bar for me that was just out of reach for the Vita. Even a console generation from now, I feel like few people would have an issue with late X360 graphics capability with more modern lighting on a 5 inch screen.

Even movie tie-in quality titles are still somewhat pleasing to the eye. The same wasn't true on the Vita and definitely wasn't on 3DS. With little effort, developers can still create visually pleasing titles.

Curious to hear about mod support (as well as other Nintendo content). The rumors back before January were that it would have the same mod support the PS4 version has.

heringer

They only showed undocked mode, in fact. Looks good, but I can't determine from the limited footage whether it's Special Edition.

YouTube has the video on IGN's channel.

Yes.

Thanks! Managed to watch the video. Can't tell much, really. It looks like Special Edition, but can't be sure yet. Anyway, hopefully more videos appear soon.

I'm not planning on double dipping for now, but hearing that the ranged combat feels like Breath of the Wild has me a little tempted.

Oregano

New Portable versions of older console games have been a staple of handheld devices for decades. Not sure why people would be surprised that people would be excited for the same thing with Switch.

OCD Guy

If IGN have got hands on time is it safe to assume other gaming outlets will have had hands on time too?

I'm hoping for a more detailed look, and hopefully more than 1min44 lol

heringer

New Portable versions of older console games have been a staple of handheld devices for decades. Not sure why people would be surprised that people would be excited for the same thing with Switch.

I vaguely remember people being super stoked about SNES ports to GBA.

Strange indeed. The link in that OP now redirects to the link I gave, though, so I think that is the correct one personally.

Perhaps originally nintendo were going to publish, presumably a deal worked out before switch launch but Beth now seeing switch as a massive success they decided to release themselves (which could hopefully point towards further support)

Top Bottom