• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Skyrim on Switch first hands on gameplay video

VeeP

Man, I would love to get Skyrim for the Switch but... I just wish they would add in more content and rebalance the game.

I love Elder Scrolls, but instead of a new game all we get is Remasters for the next generation, and a new Elder Scrolls isn't even in the works :(. And I refuse to play ESO.

sfried

Mine is already preordered since Day 1.

And I already have Special Edition on PC, with all the good mods no less.

Working against this release is that the HD Remastered Version will probably be free on PSN or XBL or heftily discounted by the time it launches.
Not gonna be “free”, dunno why you think such a new game is “probably” going to be free. It’s currently $40, and Skyrim Switch is coming out in just a few months. Sure, it’ll be pricier than the other platforms since it’ll be brand new - I’m expecting $60 - but it’ll also be portable, with extra features, which adds value. Sure, some frugal people who own both a Switch and another system might buy the game on another platform to save money, but I don’t see how that’s really working against this release, any more than how the original version of Skyrim “worked against” the more pricey remaster.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Looks good. Pretty much what I expected. Basically last gen Skyrim without the RAM bottleneck in handheld mode.

VariantX

Working against this release is that the HD Remastered Version will probably be free on PSN or XBL or heftily discounted by the time it launches.

LMAO. NO.

1. This game is still selling in decent amounts
2. They've just rolled out a new DLC strategy involving mods with skyrim and FO4. This game is never going to be free any time soon.

I..uh...think I might actually get this when I get a switch. It looks like it runs fine and if I'm going to buy this game again if rather it be portable even if it doesn't have the image quality of the ps4 version

Eradicate

I feel quite lucky to be in the position of having never played Skyrim before, so getting it on the Switch seems like a nice idea.

I've never played it either buddy!

I love the fantasy style and everything. I'm not familiar with the franchise, but I loved old computer RPGs from years ago, as well as 8- and 16-bit console RPGs. Do you think I'd like it/worth a buy, from those who have played it? The closest I've probably played from a modern perspective is the newest Zelda game.

Thanks!

tesqui

Real excited for this because I never got far into this game when it first came out. It seems like a solid port so far!

Speely

Banned
Now I want a Diablo-type game with Nintendo characters on Switch.

That would be great. Characters would basically just be classes. Kirby, Mario, Link, Yoshi, Samus, Donkey Kong, Peach, Zelda, etc...

I can imagine roles for each of them in a Diablo-like.

Scrawnton

I told myself I wouldn't because I already own this on PS3, PS4, Xbox one, and pc..... but.... if this version is stable and lays smoothly, I might have to buy it... portable skyrim seems like it shouldn't ever happen.

VeeP

I love the fantasy style and everything. I'm not familiar with the franchise, but I loved old computer RPGs from years ago, as well as 8- and 16-bit console RPGs. Do you think I'd like it/worth a buy, from those who have played it? The closest I've probably played from a modern perspective is the newest Zelda game.

Thanks!

The game is fun, so def. check it out.

The premise of the game is basically that Dragons have reemerged from their slumber, and are wreaking havoc on the populous. The prophecy says that someone who has the soul and power of a Dragon will rise up and save mankind, that's you, the Dragonborn.

The world is pretty big and unique. You'll see some great quests, interesting locales, and pick up some great weapons.

The biggest flaws this game has is at a certain point you get too powerful, and the game doesn't really balance that. The other flaw is combat isn't THAT fun. For instance, LoZ and other action titles and action RPG's do better.

Thanks!

If you loved old CRPGs I think you'll like this. I grew up with the Might & Magic games and while Skyrim is faaaaaar less of an RPG than those are the Elder Scrolls series has similar roots, and it shows up in Skyrim.

Basically the core RPG aspect of the game (and series) is leveling up your skills by repeated use rather than XP, and after you've leveled enough skills your character will level up, giving you more health, stamina or magicka, and also offering you one of a large number of perks in each skill.

There's a lot of fun in simple exploration finding new towns, dungeons, items and whatnot but it's not to the same level as BotW, though overworld exploration isn't really the major focus of the game anyway. Instead there's a much bigger focus on dungeons/caves/ruins and just interiors in general.

It's a really good game despite having plenty of flaws, it's certainly worth a try if you like RPGs and open world games. I'd argue Morrowind is much better but Oblivion is worse than both for what that's worth.

Eradicate

The game is fun, so def. check it out.

The premise of the game is basically that Dragons have reemerged from their slumber, and are wreaking havoc on the populous. The prophecy says that someone who has the soul and power of a Dragon will rise up and save mankind, that's you, the Dragonborn.

The world is pretty big and unique. You'll see some great quests, interesting locales, and pick up some great weapons.

The biggest flaws this game has is at a certain point you get too powerful, and the game doesn't really balance that. The other flaw is combat isn't THAT fun. For instance, LoZ and other action titles and action RPG's do better.

If you loved old CRPGs I think you'll like this. I grew up with the Might & Magic games and while Skyrim is faaaaaar less of an RPG than those are the Elder Scrolls series has similar roots, and it shows up in Skyrim.

Basically the core RPG aspect of the game (and series) is leveling up your skills by repeated use rather than XP, and after you've leveled enough skills your character will level up, giving you more health, stamina or magicka, and also offering you one of a large number of perks in each skill.

There's a lot of fun in simple exploration finding new towns, dungeons, items and whatnot but it's not to the same level as BotW, though overworld exploration isn't really the major focus of the game anyway. Instead there's a much bigger focus on dungeons/caves/ruins and just interiors in general.

It's a really good game despite having plenty of flaws, it's certainly worth a try if you like RPGs and open world games. I'd argue Morrowind is much better but Oblivion is worse than both for what that's worth.

Wow you two! Thank you both for the great information and your honest opinions! It sounds really solid and fun, so I certainly will have to pick it up! Thank you again!

Speely

Banned
good luck.

You don't need luck when you have the certainty of "never." What you need are smelling salts to wake you up.

As for Skyrim... I never played the DLC because I wasn't overly-fond of the base game. Will buy to give it a shot with portability and motion control, plus a reason to try out the dlc, which I hear is good.

brinstar

I've never played Skyrim. I only had a PS3 when it came out and it seemed that version was disastrous so I skipped it. I have a PS4 but when they announced the Switch version I decided to wait to see how that turned out since it being portable makes it much more appealing to me. Glad to see it's looking good.

Smeags

Jeremy Soule's masterwork of a soundtrack is another highlight of Skyrim. To be honest, its my favorite soundtrack in any medium. Still listen to it on a consistent basis 6 years later.

So good. *mwah*

There are so many good games, especially RPGs of any kind, that would do wonders on the Switch.
Jeremy Soule's masterwork of a soundtrack is another highlight of Skyrim. To be honest, its my favorite soundtrack in any medium. Still listen to it on a consistent basis 6 years later.

So good. *mwah*
This Smeags speaks the truth!
So many emotions!

This reads like a PSO post to me. Maybe that's just my burning need for PSO on the Switch.
Ah Phantasy Star Online! I would love too see that on the Switch. Sadly the only experience I've had with that game was playing the GameCube version offline getting to a certain point. All to get the Tails Chao for Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

But I think that if I played it now I'd have a much better time!

Redd

I already have 4 copies of this game but damn this would be nice to play on 8+ hour road trips. Screw it, you can have my money Bethesda.

Famassu

This reads like a PSO post to me. Maybe that's just my burning need for PSO on the Switch.
GameCube emulation & splitscreen multiplayer.

Believe.

That's really the only way I can see PSO seeing the light of day ever again, officially.

If it performs well, can it truly be Skyrim?

mog1.gif

Brhoom

Banned
I think I will pass on this one.

Bought it on PS3, reached the second town, then I was able to go anywhere and was overwhelmed by the world size that I turned off the game and never came back to it.

KAP151

Dont think i could possibly play through this again, but great news for switch owners or those that are going in fresh.

ZZMitch

Already put 250 hours into Skyrim on my PC so won't bother with this. Glad it looks good though. Anyone who has not played it yet should buy for sure.

Top Bottom