• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Skyrim on Switch first hands on gameplay video

Zedark

Perhaps originally nintendo were going to publish, presumably a deal worked out before switch launch but Beth now seeing switch as a massive success they decided to release themselves (which could hopefully point towards further support)
That is a possibility. Not sure if they can transfer those agreements just like that (I don't know how long the process of publishing a title takes), but if it can be done in a couple of months then that's a possibility.

That is a possibility. Not sure if they can transfer those agreements just like that (I don't know how long the process of publishing a title takes), but if it can be done in a couple of months then that's a possibility.

I'm sure if both parties are happy its not hard to change an agreement, if my theory is true though it kinda implies nintendo were (at least originally) paying for a port which is unusual for them

MAX PAYMENT

I wonder if this game is suited well for pick and play.

On one hand, I wouldn't have to the up the tv while playing a longer game.

Danneee

It's great that it's portable and that more people can experience a good game but I can't see myself playing through this again. Even though I never played the DLC. There's just so much in it that feels so old mechanically (combat, dungeon design) and graphically (hair/clothes psysics, animations).

Akoi

The Switch is turning into a port machine but I am fine with that... I am a sucker and will probably get this day one.

Why are we still debating if this has the upgraded graphics? Need I remind you what the 360 version looked like? The Switch version is leagues ahead.

360_013.bmp.jpg

Come on, now...

redcrayon

The main thing I would love to see if playing Skyrim again on Switch is a method of organising or hiding quests I have no interest in that have been triggered, or returning them to the pre-trigger state. If my character has no interest in being a thief, it's a touch annoying to have 'join the thieves guild' at the top of his Quest list just because someone mentioned them as I walked past. Minor point but I like being able to choose to start quests myself, not have them magically appear in my notes. Mass Effect 2 also did this (as far as I remember).

takriel

Why can't they just say what version this is? Their reluctance to do so tells me that it's the inferior older version.

Sounds like a great fit for Switch - definitive edition?
I doubt the performance is anywhere near perfect, though.

There's no way it can be the definitive edition without mods. PC is always the definitive edition for Bethesda games.

Why can't they just say what version this is? Their reluctance to do so tells me that it's the inferior older version.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not exactly either version. Something custom for Switch that isn't quite the SE but also isn't the old version.

Grok4Spock

Why are we still debating if this has the upgraded graphics? Need I remind you what the 360 version looked like? The Switch version is leagues ahead.

360_013.bmp.jpg

Come on, now...
There are people out there that are hoping against hope that the Switch port of Skyrim is based on the PS360 version because it’s Nintendo and they can’t or refuse to accept that the Switch is a hair more powerful graphically than the Atari 2600.

It's pretty obviously somewhere between the legendary edition and special edition. It'll probably have some of the new features but not all of them like the additional foliage and flowing water improvements.

roytheone

It actually looks pretty great! Not going to buy it until it hits around 20 or so since I already played it for more than 100 hours, but it still looks like a cool version of Skyrim!

Famassu

Portability probably won't be enough to get me to play Skyrim, but I do want to try out the VR-version. The immersion might make me forget all (or enough of) the shortcomings of the game.

I wonder if they're exclusively showing handheld mode because docked mode isn't performing terribly well yet. Or the resolution isn't 1080p yet. Either way I'm super happy about how this looks to be running in handheld mode. EDIT: Or they just think Skyrim portable is the new and compelling experience here (which it is)

The amount of care they're putting into this is very encouraging, I really hope they have this attitude for other titles.

LordRaptor

The main thing I would love to see if playing Skyrim again on Switch is a method of organising or hiding quests I have no interest in that have been triggered, or returning them to the pre-trigger state. If my character has no interest in being a thief, it's a touch annoying to have 'join the thieves guild' at the top of his Quest list just because someone mentioned them as I walked past. Minor point but I like being able to choose to start quests myself, not have them magically appear in my notes. Mass Effect 2 also did this (as far as I remember).

Sort of tangential to the point you're actually making, I don't know why you wouldn't join the thieves guild in skyrim outside of roleplay reasons - its not like theres any stealth or pickpocket / lockpick requirements, you can pretty much faceroll all of their missions with brute force (and I know theres lore reasons why theyre a real shitty guild compared to prior appearances, but its still weird how little a shit is given about casualties / being caught)

JonnyKong

I feel quite lucky to be in the position of having never played Skyrim before, so getting it on the Switch seems like a nice idea.

NateDrake

I wonder if they're exclusively showing handheld mode because docked mode isn't performing terribly well yet. Or the resolution isn't 1080p yet. Either way I'm super happy about how this looks to be running in handheld mode. EDIT: Or they just think Skyrim portable is the new and compelling experience here (which it is)

The amount of care they're putting into this is very encouraging, I really hope they have this attitude for other titles.

Putting Skyrim in the hands of people on a portable device and showing it plays well while undocked will excite people more than playing it while docked.

alexbull_uk

I've played some ~340 hours of Skyrim on PC and I've never actually completed it.

If this performs solidly, I'm going to change that.

mindsale

Working against this release is that the HD Remastered Version will probably be free on PSN or XBL or heftily discounted by the time it launches.

Top Bottom