• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Where Are All the PS5 Games?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sony was talking about first party games. I'm not following the rest of your post at all. Sony would set aside only the quarter that GTA 6 released. Nothing more than that.

Dada is saying they calibrated their entire release schedule around GTA VI. I just find that hard to believe, especially considering VI doesn't even have a release date yet.

What would you say Flight Sim is? a 2nd party game? Asobo isn't owned by MicroSoft but they own the IP and publish the game.
It's a 1st party game.
I think if it's an existing IP that was 1st party previously it's a little more of a grey area. I'd just call it 2nd party. It's not a MS owned studio making it.

Topher

Gold Member
Dada is saying they calibrated their entire release schedule around GTA VI. I just find that hard to believe, especially considering VI doesn't even have a release date yet.

If GTA 6 is releasing this fall then I can definitely see shuffling their release schedule for that. That's what I think ChiefDada ChiefDada is saying. Doesn't matter that there is no release date. They could announce that at the showcase.

adamsapple

If GTA 6 is releasing this fall then I can definitely see shuffling their release schedule for that. That's what I think ChiefDada ChiefDada is saying. Doesn't matter that there is no release date. They could announce that at the showcase.

I think you mean next fall? GTA 6 isn't releasing this year.

AAA game development is too bloated.
They take too long and too much money to make.
There are enough AAA studios in the industry to sustain a regular output, even with the long development time. And big AAA games are seeing much better margins than smaller AAA or AA games. The latter are the ones that not being made, as you can see by the industry closing down smaller AAA studios

Ellery

Everybody making fun of Sony for not releasing games and then Naughty Dog drops the game of the generation again and the rest of the industry plays catch up.

The studio involved might be classed as 2nd party but the game would be 1st party.
I don't agree. 2nd party means the publisher owns it and it's exclusive. 2nd party game. Everyone for decades knows 1st party is about owned studios and the games they make. Not changing my mind, ever.

adamsapple

I'm saying whenever it is releasing, Sony is going to give it a lot of room.

That was my original point, they've already told people not to expect any big franchise games this year, and if that is extended to next year to an undetermined quarter when GTA VI comes out, it just sounds bizarre that Sony is willing to not have any big first party games for a nearly 2 year window.

That's an even worse first party output than Xbox circa 2022.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
On the shelves?

Confused High Quality GIF

Mr Moose

That was my original point, they've already told people not to expect any big franchise games this year, and if that is extended to next year to an undetermined quarter when GTA VI comes out, it just sounds bizarre that Sony is willing to not have any big first party games for a nearly 2 year window.

They said about existing large franchises. And they wouldn't release a game at the same time as GTAVI, it doesn't mean they won't release any games at all until after that.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Last reported estimates had PS4 Pro at ~14m sold. PS4's total lifetime sales is roughly 118~ million, the Pro barely accounted for 11% of the total sales.

Jesus Christ, Adam:

The PS4 Pro had competition from Xbox One X. Not the case this time around.

Again, I don't think a Pro console will have the sales boost you think it will. More people are likely to rush out and get a cheaper PS5 to play GTA VI on it than a PS5 Pro.

Disagree, proportionally more people are likely going to opt in for latest and greatest to play GTA VI, compared to last gen Pro console when there wasn't such a massive title to compel them.

DaGwaphics

With development times the way they are, Sony hasn't been able to get as many games out as they previously did. It isn't like they haven't had dry spells before anyway. Just not quite to the extent that MS did when they had 4 or 5 studios.

ChiefDada ChiefDada I think you way overestimate how many buyers value the difference between the base PS5 and whatever a Pro would entail. Or even the difference between the base PS5 and a 4090. There is a small percentage of users that care about that difference in the grand scheme of things. The Pro will be a great option for the console buyers that do care, like the high-end GPUs are on the PC side but that's about it. Also, PS4 Pro had a full year on the market without the 1X and it didn't exactly light the world on fire.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Damage control. Sony already said there's nothing coming from major 1st party franchises until next Sprint. As shitty as that is.

Also, where are the "Strong first party offerings Xbox has lined up?" Are they in the room with us?

Last edited:

adamsapple

They said about existing large franchises. And they wouldn't release a game at the same time as GTAVI, it doesn't mean they won't release any games at all until after that.

Sure, Astrobot is probably coming later this year, but it's not something I would call a tent-pole release.

Jesus Christ, Adam:

Disagree, proportionally more people are likely going to opt in for latest and greatest to play GTA VI, compared to last gen Pro console when there wasn't such a massive title to compel them.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

What does 'competition with Xbox One X' have to do here when Pro wasn't even the better selling PlayStation model.

Do you really think GTA VI will cause more people to run out and get a PS5 Pro versus a normal PS5 (if they don't already have one) ?

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Xbox fanboys are the last ones to rag on a first party lineup 🙄

Not on xbox, PC but

I'm hyped and likely to buy all of Avowed, Clockwork revolution, Indiana Jones, Fable, MS flight sim 2024, Hellblade II.

I Dont Care Whatever GIF

Are they huge blockbusters ala Spider-man 2? No. Are they more interesting to me than a PC port of Ragnarok or Spider-man 2? Fuck yes.

Sony would have to bring to PC the likes of Gravity rush, Ico/Shadow of the collosus/Last guardian, Demon souls, Bloodborne hype me up (immensely in case of Bloodborne). I much prefer their game focused japanese titles than the cinematic TRUHPLE AAAYY. I have almost all the first iterations of those games on PC, God of war, uncharted 4, Days gone, Spider-man, TLoU, Horizon zero dawn. Almost all of those on first iteration with the feedback of the sequels (when applicable) that I might not buy the sequels when they get to PC. Especially the ones with Sweet baby inc sprinkled on them.

As for console sales I'm sure Sony will stomp Xbox, it's already written in stone this gen, but I don't play sales numbers. Just like I don't listen to Taylor Swift because it is #1 in charts. I'm finding that for my tastes (very important before you reply), I'm not compatible with sony games as much as I used to (PSX + PS2 was more like it)

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Sure, Astrobot is probably coming later this year, but it's not something I would call a tent-pole release.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

What does 'competition with Xbox One X' have to do here when Pro wasn't even the better selling PlayStation model.
And Concord apparently, whatever the fuck that is.

Topher

Gold Member

Wolverine could be an FY Q1 2025 release for all we know. I agree that it would be bizarre to have two years without a first party game, but I doubt that will happen.

tommib

LOL:
Helldivers 2
FF7 Rebirth
Stellar Blade

“Where’s the games!?”

Slow news week, bad “journalism”, and a mountain of Down syndrome. That’s the formula to working at IGN.

Sony always has one game for the fall. Expect one more banger minimum.
You forgot Ronin which is almost better than Helldivers 2.

Kurotri

I'm sure there are several factors, but isn't the most obvious one that games take way too long to make nowadays? I mean, 4 years in and I still don't have a sequel to my fav Sony game, Ghost of Tsushima. I pretty much expect 5+ year dev cycles now for every single AAA game. The only outlier here that immediately comes to mind is From.

midnightAI

Why do these dumb asses keep making articles about lack of games right before showcases? we know XBox has one in June and going off the past we can expect one from Sony before then.

If there is still a lack of announcements then make the article.

I mean, not digging the games that have dropped so far or just wanting to know more about what's coming in the second half of the year is totally cool, right? Everyone's got their preferences.

But let's be real here, saying Microsoft's in a better spot? That's just wild, lol.

I'm sure there are several factors, but isn't the most obvious one that games take way too long to make nowadays?
Yeah, there are a bunch of reasonable explanations for this situation

Labadal

Exclusives or no, I have plenry of games to play on PS5. I'll be buying early 2024 games, plaus Trails Through Daybreak, Ys X, and Metaphor: Refantazio.

adamsapple

I mean, not digging the games that have dropped so far or just wanting to know more about what's coming in the second half of the year is totally cool, right? Everyone's got their preferences.

But let's be real here, saying Microsoft's in a better spot? That's just wild, lol.

Eh, they're in a 'better spot' by default since they're the only one of the two who have (some) games announced for the rest of the year.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

What does the word "proportional" mean to you? And where did I ever say PS5 Pro would be best selling model? This is what I said:

My theory is Sony recalibrated their entire schedule lineup this gen for GTA and PS5 Pro to boost sales. Allow the once a decade franchise to sell consoles and introduce the competent upgrade that your competition doesn't have an answer for. This way first party games have maximum sales opportunity. I saw the other thread on Sony quarterly earnings and laugh at the suggestion that PS5 won't easily outsell PS4 when all the dust settles.

In aggregrate, PS5 will outsell PS4 primarily because of GTA VI. As a subset, PS5 Pro will outsell PS4 Pro because of GTA VI AND the fact that it has no competition this gen.

GymWolf

Gold Member
On one hand i always prefer if devs take all the time they need to make big AAA games, on the other hand, i didn't bought a ps5 to play second\third parties, so it's kinda of a conundrum.

Last edited:

GHound

Depending on how you run the numbers, when Ghost of Tsushima's PC release comes out on thursday they will have either released more or the same number of their own IPs on PC this year as PS5.
Which is the long way of saying "not a whole lot."

I would certainly hope they've got something hidden in their prison pocket.

Last edited:
Top Bottom