• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Where Are All the PS5 Games?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well you're not basing this on historical precedent so what is your basis?

Who or what told you the generation needs saving? Hopefully you're not including Xbox in this analysis they're dead there is no saving over on that side.

I'm just confused why it seems people are pointing to GTAVI, a third party game as really turning it around for ps5. It will sell gangbusters, it's GTA but it's probably got 12 to 18 months tops before its on PC to sell on ps and xbox.

even if the xbox is dead there will still be like 30 to 35 plus million series consoles to sell the game on by launch of GTA.

I'm just confused why it seems people are pointing to GTAVI, a third party game as really turning it around for ps5. It will sell gangbusters, it's GTA but it's probably got 12 to 18 months tops before its on PC to sell on ps and xbox.

even if the xbox is dead there will still be like 30 to 35 plus million series consoles to sell the game on by launch of GTA.

Same reason people pointed towards Hogwarts Legacy as one of the reasons they had the biggest quarter in history. Games like those sell PlayStations. Regardless of them being third party or being on PC

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Same reason people pointed towards Hogwarts Legacy as one of the reasons they had the biggest quarter in history. Games like those sell PlayStations. Regardless of them being third party or being on PC

What happens if / when MS gets the GTA Marketing and Phil unveils his massive 18 inch python to show a GTA VI tattoo. Whatcha gonna do then brother ?

Topher

Gold Member

I'm confused as to why you are confused. You think PC is going to halt GTA 6 sales on consoles?

Reminder: GTA V was a PS3 game when it launched in 2013.

Here is the PS5 bestseller list in December 2023, ten years later.

GTA V at number 3....many many years after the game was released on PC.

GEIVTDJaMAAMsdf

Same for Xbox....

GEIVYWcaIAAu1qN

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm confused as to why you are confused? You think PC is going to halt GTA 6 sales on consoles?

Reminder: GTA V was a PS3 game when it launched in 2013.

Here is the PS5 bestseller list in December 2023, ten years later.

GTA V at number 3....many many years after the game was released on PC.

GEIVTDJaMAAMsdf

Oh no, I know how huge GTA is and also how evergreen they are. It's the one game that will sell millions even on dying series consoles. If MS can drop the price of the series S for launch they will pick up some serious sales too.

I'm just saying that, yes PS5 will get the lions share of sales on console until the pc version releases and then it will sell everywhere. It's going to sell systems but it wills all playstations, xboxs and pc hardware too. It's going to sell gangbusters everywhere.

The only title I am personally looking forward to is Ghost of Tsushima 2.

GoW Ragnarock, SpiderMan 2 and Horizons 2 were disappointing for me.
agree with everything. except the part about looking forward to tsushima 2. for me, i'm guessing that it'll likely fit in perfectly with the other 3 '2's you already mentioned. i mean, why wouldn't it?...
Sony just released Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, FFVII Rebirth is exclusive, TLOU2 Remastered released in January and they are really asking where are all the games?

You have new IPs, sequels, a remake and a remaster from all types and genres.

IGN has to be trolling.

Sony has done this for years. They have nothing else announced because they have a conference coming up. That's when they will announce their future plans.

But get that hit newspiece IGN.
ign:

Oh no, I know how huge GTA is and also how evergreen they are. It's the one game that will sell millions even on dying series consoles. If MS can drop the price of the series S for launch they will pick up some serious sales too.

I'm just saying that, yes PS5 will get the lions share of sales on console until the pc version releases and then it will sell everywhere. It's going to sell systems but it wills all playstations, xboxs and pc hardware too. It's going to sell gangbusters everywhere.

It needs to make up the 800k launch alligned difference. If it doesn't then Sony may as well close shop.

Topher

Gold Member

Pisses me off when you come back with a completely reasonable response. I want you to know that.

Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless

StereoVsn

agree with everything. except the part about looking forward to tsushima 2. for me, i'm guessing that it'll likely fit in perfectly with the other 3 '2's you already mentioned. i mean, why wouldn't it?...

ign:

Because Ghost of Tsushima is completely thematically different from the other games in its storytelling?

I also loved combat and how damn scenic everything looked. Some of those duels reminded me of Kurosawa movies especially set in black and white.

Bkdk

Sony's first party studios are just so inefficient, SE despite underperforming in sales, they manage to churn out ff7R, FF16 and FF7R2 from 2020 to 2024, how come the sony's first party studio need so much time to release one game. Also they clearly need help on improving that character design.

Sony's first party studios are just so inefficient, SE despite underperforming in sales, they manage to churn out ff7R, FF16 and FF7R2 from 2020 to 2024, how come the sony's first party studio need so much time to release one game. Also they clearly need help on improving that character design.

FF7R and FF16 are two seperate studios

Topher

Gold Member

Why would it? Thematically completely different. Gameplay.....not even close. Putting it with the "other 3 2's" doesn't make any sense. Is it just cuz Sony?

Big Expansion to Starfield. (Biggest new IP this gen)
Avowed
COD
Indiana Jones

Whether you like these games personally or not. Seems pretty stacked to me.

What does PS 1st party have on the slate in 2024? *crickets*
This is what is so unbelievably stupid a out the whole "first party" thing. Yea, technically COD will be first party for MS but who gives a fuck on here as a consumer? It will be available to play everywhere. Meanwhile, games like FF, HD2, Stellar blade and Rise of the Ronin are only available on PS (console wise at least). People focus wayyyy too much on semantics of first or second party, compared to where the games actually release.

Onto the post by IGN, why does it seem like Sony consistently has been getting crushed by this whole first party thing compared to other? MS has not been killing it at all with game releases and the few they have had were disappointments. My switch literally hasn't been turn on in about a full year. ToTK was the last thing I played on that damn thing. Nintendo doesn't have much in the pipeline it seems either. And before people say they are gearing up for switch 2, who gives a fuck. Sony had an unreal 2020 before the PS5 launched with Dreams, MLB the show (when it was still exclusive), TLoU 2 and GoT. Plus that's just the true "first party" and doesn't even count games like FF7 remake and nioh 2. I really just think the larger issue is how long it takes to make games now. This isn't a Sony only problem, it's just an industry thing.

Alebrije

Honestly there a plenty of good PS5 games around that won't have time to play new ones.

HELLDIVERS 2 and Stellar Blade are consuming My gaming time plus the Stalker trilogy

AAA exclusive games are coming next year...we are basically at half year , time is running fast...

Why would it? Thematically completely different. Gameplay.....not even close. Putting it with the "other 3 2's" doesn't make any sense. Is it just cuz Sony?
it's just cuz 'sony sequel'. all the triple-a sequels are thematically/gameplay-wise different from each other. but they all closely resemble their original predecessors. to the point you might as well be playing the originals. this's in my opinion, you understand. in my opinion...

Because Ghost of Tsushima is completely thematically different from the other games in its storytelling?

I also loved combat and how damn scenic everything looked. Some of those duels reminded me of Kurosawa movies especially set in black and white.
as mentioned above, i get that. it's not tsushima itself i'm down on (played/finished it). it's the way the current major sony sequels are fundamentally indistinguishable from their predecessors...

Fbh

I'm glad that my job and life doesn't allow me to play through Helldivers 2, FF7 Rebirth, Unicorn Overlord, Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin, Dragons Dogma 2, Like a Dragon infinite Wealth, Balatro and Eiyuden Chronicle all in the span of 5 months. Not to mention all the games I've carried over from last year which I didn't have the time to play yet

Sometimes I feel like I live in a parallel world when we just had a bunch of cool and lengthy games come out and everyone is acting like there's literally nothing to play on Ps5 because there's no big imminent exclusive every 2 months.

The ps5 has one year tops to play gtavi and then it will goto PC. It's not going to save the generation.

What Sony realized, and why they are bringing games to PC, is that there's A TON of people who just want to play on Pc and don't want a console, and there's A TON of people who just want a console and don't want to play on PC.
Only on gaming forums do you find this idea that everyone has a gaming PC by default and Ps5 can only be successful as long as it has games that aren't on PC.

Topher

Gold Member
it's just cuz 'sony sequel'. all the triple-a sequels are thematically/gameplay-wise different from each other. but they all closely resemble their original predecessors. to the point you might as well be playing the originals. this's in my opinion, you understand. in my opinion...

Yeah, that's generally how sequels work, not just "sony sequels". I think it is pretty obvious that we are all sharing our "opinions" here.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

as mentioned above, i get that. it's not tsushima itself i'm down on (played/finished it). it's the way the current major sony sequels are fundamentally indistinguishable from their predecessors...
I will leave my judgment for Ghost till I see it. Hopefully there will be meaningful improvements not only to gameplay, but also storytelling and characters.

Topher

Gold Member
Hopefully not toward “Modern Storytelling and characters” like with the other Sony games. 😅

lol.......no shit. Hopefully feudal Japan will remain feudal Japan. I see gotdang rainbows flags and Herman Hulst and myself will have words.

albeit imaginary

Yeah, that's generally how sequels work, not just "sony sequels". I think it is pretty obvious that we are all sharing our "opinions" here.
well, I don't wanna come across as a 'sony hater' is all. i've always been a sony fan. my memories of sequels goes back to the ps2/3 era, where no one would mistake uncharted 2 for uncharted, god of war 3 for god of war, or r&c crack in time for r&c tools of destruction. sequels that built on & improved on what'd been there. i just personally find sony's current string of major sequels (including uncharted 4 & last of us 2) not only not being (other than graphically) improvements, but as often as not being inferior...

not that this's damaged sales, obviously. so i'm just some kinda outlier, I'm thinking...

Topher

Gold Member
well, I don't wanna come across as a 'sony hater' is all. i've always been a sony fan. my memories of sequels goes back to the ps2/3 era, where no one would mistake uncharted 2 for uncharted, god of war 3 for god of war, or r&c crack in time for r&c tools of destruction. sequels that built on & improved on what'd been there. i just personally find sony's current string of major sequels (including uncharted 4 & last of us 2) not only not being (other than graphically) improvements, but as often as not being inferior...

not that this's damaged sales, obviously. so i'm just some kinda outlier, I'm thinking...

I understand brother. I think I understand your perspective here. I want the same games you want.

All good, bro.

Rockman33

This is what is so unbelievably stupid an out the whole "first party" thing. Yea, technically COD will be first party for MS but who gives a fuck on here as a consumer? It will be available to play everywhere. Meanwhile, games like FF, HD2, Stellar blade and Rise of the Ronin are only available on PS (console wise at least). People focus wayyyy too much on semantics of first or second party, compared to where the games actually release.
I think for people with gamepass it will matter quite a bit.

Top Bottom