• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Where Are All the PS5 Games?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Sources:

Never buying a PS console ever again. Hoping it's great the last year at least.

Demon's Souls
Helldivers 2
FF7 Remake & Rebirth
FFXVI
Returnal
Horizon Forbidden West
Spider-Man games
Ragnarok
Ghost of Tsushima
Cyberpunk
Ratchett & Clank
Elden Ring
Hogwarts
Baldurs Gate 3
Hades
Control
RE4 Remake
Stellar Blade
Sekiro

Yeah there's no games to play at all on PS5. Worst console in the history of the world.

Perrott

Sorry, worrying lack of first-party games in the second half of 2024? There's Concord and Until Dawn announced; and pretty good rumors about Astro Bot, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn and LEGO Horizon being on the way as well.

Stop trying to damage control the situation, IGN.

Last reported estimates had PS4 Pro at ~14m sold. PS4's total lifetime sales is roughly 118~ million, the Pro barely accounted for 11% of the total sales.

Jim Ryan and by extension didn't have high expectations of the PS4 Pro, and then it turned out to sell significantly better than they had hoped judging by their own comments.

Again, I don't think a Pro console will have the sales boost you think it will. More people are likely to rush out and get a cheaper PS5 to play GTA VI on it than a PS5 Pro.

The PS5 Pro is going to be offering the best experience for what will be one of the biggest game releases in history. Now more than ever, people care more about things like performance and ray-tracing than they ever have done before. The timing couldn't be better.

Perrott

Ah, yes, all those examples with confirmed release dates in 2024. 🫡
Same could be said about Towerborne, Flight Sim, Avowed, Indiana Jones, etc.

Just like Concord and Until Dawn, neither of those have specific release dates, which is normal since neither of the two console makers haven't had their big yearly events yet.

Try again.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Jim Ryan and by extension didn't have high expectations of the PS4 Pro, and then it turned out to sell significantly better than they had hoped judging by their own comments.

I can't find a Jim Ryan quote on PS4 Pro sales, the only related thing is this quote that Sony put out shortly after the Pro launched, where of course they're gonna be positive about it cause it had just launched.

The PS5 Pro is going to be offering the best experience for what will be one of the biggest game releases in history. Now more than ever, people care more about things like performance and ray-tracing than they ever have done before. The timing couldn't be better.

Considering the most played games of the year are still cross-gen things like Fortnite, Roblox etc, it doesn't exactly show that people care about those things 'now more than ever'.

Same could be said about Towerborne, Flight Sim, Avowed, Indiana Jones, etc.

Just like Concord and Until Dawn, neither of those have specific release dates, which is normal since neither of the two console makers have had their big yearly events yet.

Try again.
I think we'll see Concorde, Silent Hill, Astrobot, Death Stranding 2 within the next year. Could be more. I haven't been paying attention to Until Dawn but that could easily hit this October as well.

adamsapple

I think we'll see Concorde, Silent Hill, Astrobot, Death Stranding 2 within the next year. Could be more. I haven't been paying attention to Until Dawn but that could easily hit this October as well.

SH and DS aren't even first party. The IGN video is talking about first party games.

SH and DS aren't even first party. The IGN video is talking about first party games.
Preaching to the choir here. 🤷‍♂️ It's pretty obvious why this is the only generation of gaming since the 1980s where you see a lot of people try and dispute this stuff. Anyway, whatever. Not worth fighting with people about. I know what I think.

squarealex

Sony released more AAA than any publisher.

Demon's Souls
Spider-Man : Miles Morales
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Returnal
Horizon: Forbidenn West
Gran Turismo 7 (Full VR)
God of War Ragnarok
Spider-Man 2
The Last of Us Part 1 (a bit shaming, but how graphics are good)
HellDiver 2

You can add The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima, they are released at the same year of the PS5.

Also, saying Xbox have more "First Party Titles" when the Xbox Series Launch exclusive is : The Medium, Tetris Effect Online Mode and Patch 60fps for Yakuza: Like a Dragon 60fps... well... you know... erm...

More concern trolling from IGN. Where was this level of concern with Xbox all these years?

It's not until Xbox started imploding this year that we started seeing some honesty from these clowns at IGN.

adamsapple

Sony released more AAA than any publisher.

Demon's Souls
Spider-Man : Miles Morales
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Returnal
Horizon: Forbidenn West
Gran Turismo 7 (Full VR)
God of War Ragnarok
Spider-Man 2
The Last of Us Part 1 (a bit shaming, but how graphics are good)
HellDiver 2

You can add The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima, they are released at the same year of the PS5.

Also, saying Xbox have more "First Party Titles" when the Xbox Series Launch exclusive is : The Medium, Tetris Effect Online Mode and Patch 60fps for Yakuza: Like a Dragon 60fps... well... you know... erm...

Counting all Sony first party games, including PS4 stuff, only counting launch stuff from Xbox.

Totally not a bad faith comparison, no sir :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Demon's Souls
Helldivers 2
FF7 Remake & Rebirth
FFXVI
Returnal
Horizon Forbidden West
Spider-Man games
Ragnarok
Ghost of Tsushima
Cyberpunk
Ratchett & Clank
Elden Ring
Hogwarts
Baldurs Gate 3
Hades
Control
RE4 Remake
Stellar Blade
Sekiro

Yeah there's no games to play at all on PS5. Worst console in the history of the world.
Im so looking forward to all these 2024 releases.
Its gonna be a good year.

Robb

Gold Member
Can’t really say I disagree. About 4 years in and I feel like I can still count the first party exclusive tittles I’d like to play on one hand that’s missing three fingers.

adamsapple

Nobody has ever explained to me why it matters that, as a PS5 owner, God of War Ragnarok say also exists for PS4.

I don't know why it matters either, that wasn't the point of my post at all. It was this:

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I don't know why it matters either, that wasn't the point of my post at all. It was this:

Yeah, not sure if Ghost of Tsushima counts as a launch window title (August) or The Medium (July), TLoUII, absolutely not. PS5 version wasn't released until this year.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Sony drops Helldivers 2, FF7R, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin = no gamez

Hellblade 2, Avowed, Indiana Jones (all yet to come out in 2024) = the greatest games lineup in history

EAD, IGN

Three

Got to love IGN

Sony say they wont release any AAA major games in 2024, PS5 still gets back to back games for 4 months. Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, FF7 Rebirth.

MS have said they plan a AAA release every quarter since 2022 and has gone more than 6 months without a major release.

IGN: "xbox strong first party offerings, where are the PS5 games"

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Not sure if Pro will have the sales boost that you think it will, PS4 Pro did not sell a noteworthy number of units either. The average consumer doesn't care about it like the enthusiast minority would.

It'll sell less than Ps4 Pro - unless they launch it with the promise of games that can only be played on it (which isn't likely). The vast majority won't care about a boost in FPS for such a massive additional outlay.

Topher

Gold Member
We kind of knew this stretch was coming from the big boy major IPs as especially you and I have discussed awhile now.

That said I think we are going to see some gameplay of some bangers very soon.

It is badly needed. I've been down on PlayStation the last year or so and I'm kind of sick of feeling that way. At this point last gen PlayStation started a march of kickass first party single player games. That's what I'm ready to see right now. Basically, I'm ready for all those who said I was full of shit complaining about Sony first party to be proven right.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It is badly needed. I've been down on PlayStation the last year or so and I'm kind of sick of feeling that way. At this point last gen PlayStation started a march of kickass first party single player games. That's what I'm ready to see right now. Basically, I'm ready for all those who said I was full of shit complaining about Sony first party to be proven right.
Can I ask why? Like, there are games to play. Whether it comes out on Xbox or not, what does it matter?

Sony totally dropped the ball in terms of their own games, and Herman Hulst got rewarded with a promotion for doing so, but it does not change the fact that PS5 has plenty of games to play.

Euler007

This article was probably written by someone wearing Mario underwear that has only been playing BOTW for the last seven years.

Topher

Gold Member
Can I ask why? Like, there are games to play. Whether it comes out on Xbox or not, what does it matter?

Sony totally dropped the ball in terms of their own games, and Herman Hulst got rewarded with a promotion for doing so, but it does not change the fact that PS5 has plenty of games to play.

I'm not saying there are no games to play. Quite the opposite. But I am a fan of PlayStation and I like looking forward to their upcoming single player games. We have not had a proper Sony first party showcase in that regard in over two years. That needs to change.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Demon's Souls
Helldivers 2
FF7 Remake & Rebirth
FFXVI
Returnal
Horizon Forbidden West
Spider-Man games
Ragnarok
Ghost of Tsushima
Cyberpunk
Ratchett & Clank
Elden Ring
Hogwarts
Baldurs Gate 3
Hades
Control
RE4 Remake
Stellar Blade
Sekiro

In the PS3 era you could make a list like this just for 2009

PS5 is almost four years in with about a good year worth of games....how the mighty have fallen

PS only looks good compared to Xbox

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm not saying there are no games to play. Quite the opposite. But I am a fan of PlayStation and I like looking forward to their upcoming single player games. We have not had a proper Sony first party showcase in that regard in over two years. That needs to change.
Their major studios -
Guerrilla released a game in 2022.
SSM - 2022
Insomniac - 2023
Housemarque - 2021
Sucker Punch - 2020
Sony Bend - 2019 (but LOTS of drama, Hulst-related drama)
Naughty Dog - 2020 (but also a major canceled game)

Just from this, you would think that SP, Bend, and ND would have something getting close, but two of those studios had problems (and yes, I think ND is lying about the resources they committed to Factions 2). So, I guess it's a combination of a couple of their studios dropping the ball but also, the fact is, they have released major, expensive, AAA, highly rated games recently. They can't operate with releases like they did on PS3, it's just impossible without lowering the standards people expect.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The video is actually fairly level headed. The title is clearly clickbait. They immediately point out Helldivers, ff7, rise of ronin and stellar blade so its not like they are completely oblivious.

The video is specifically about the core Sony first party studios that we are all fans of. ND, SSM, GG, Sucker Punch, Insomniac, PD and Bend. GG, PD and SSM wasted years on last gen games while ND, Sucker Punch and Bend are straight up MIA this gen. A better title was needed, but as a fan of those studios pushing the bar and delivering goty caliber games, im definitely disappointed by their output this gen and a complete lack of vision for the future. By this time last gen, those studios had only released uncharted 4 and horizon 1, but we knew that GOW, Spiderman, Days Gone, TLOU2, Lost legacy, GT Sports, and Ghost of Tsushima were set to be released by the end of the gen. This time around, only wolverine has been announced and that too with a cg trailer. we had either long gameplay demos of games like GOW, Spiderman and Days Gone, or short realtime ingame teasers of ghost and tlou2.

I think the games are coming. Its clear from the video that ND, SSM, GG, Bend and Sucker Punch are working on something, but the lack of messaging from Sony is whats causing people to wonder just wtf these studios have planned to close out the gen.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

2017 started horizon

We’ve already gotten a horizon and gow in the first few years of PS5

midnightAI

I think the games are coming. Its clear from the video that ND, SSM, GG, Bend and Sucker Punch are working on something, but the lack of messaging from Sony is whats causing people to wonder just wtf these studios have planned to close out the gen.
We was told a while ago now that they are not going to announce games too early any more (Insomniacs games seems to be the outlier but that's probably to do with Marvel). I think that is to try and hold on to any hype from announcement to launch. While this is frustrating as we are all impatient I can see why they want to do it that way rather than announce years out (naming no names but a certain other console manufacturer announces games years out, ones not even in full production and those games are mostly forgot about or mocked when brought up)

Last edited:

Rockman33

Everyone saw this first party downtime coming, no biggie

They are just prepping to blow us away with PS5 Pro gameplay of their bangers coming, I can wait
In the last 2 years they have released 2. GOW and Spiderman 2. Combine that with the next year and we are looking at 1 a year. That’s almost half the generation.

Topher

Gold Member
Their major studios -
Guerrilla released a game in 2022.
SSM - 2022
Insomniac - 2023
Housemarque - 2021
Sucker Punch - 2020
Sony Bend - 2019 (but LOTS of drama, Hulst-related drama)
Naughty Dog - 2020 (but also a major canceled game)

Just from this, you would think that SP, Bend, and ND would have something getting close, but two of those studios had problems (and yes, I think ND is lying about the resources they committed to Factions 2). So, I guess it's a combination of a couple of their studios dropping the ball but also, the fact is, they have released major, expensive, AAA, highly rated games recently. They can't operate with releases like they did on PS3, it's just impossible without lowering the standards people expect.

That's a fair take especially regarding behind the scenes drama and resource allocation. My fear has been that this Gaas shift has impacted more than Sony has let on, but no way for me to know that. Bottom line is that I'm way past ready for Sony to wow me with their upcoming showcase.

Top Bottom