• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's top 100 games of last gen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megatron

http://www.ign.com/top/games-of-a-generation

#100 Skate 2
#99 Viva Piñata 2
#98 Mario Kart Wii
#97 Condemned
#96 Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag
#95 Vanquish

#94 DJ Hero
#93 Dance Central
#92 State of Decay

#91 Super Smash Bros Brawl
#90 Unfinished Swan
#89 Splinter Cell: Blacklist
#88 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
#87 Sleeping Dogs
#86 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
#85 Skylanders
#84 Crackdown

#83 LEGO Marvel
#82 Halo 3
#81 Spec Ops: The Line

I agree that these games belong on the list. The rest of these games shouldn't be there.

yuraya

#1 - Metal Gear Solid 4

OCrcgOa.jpg

You guys act as if they a directly insulting your favorite game by not placing it higher. They're trying to rank the top 100 games released this generation. What the hell do you expect?

Expected Top 10:
10. Portal
9. Red Dead Redemption
8. Journey
7. Mass Effect 2
6. Fallout 3
5. Modern Warfare
4. Bioshock
3. Grand Theft Auto V
2. The Last of Us
1. Super Mario Galaxy 1/2

Haven't played Fallout or ME2

ghibli99

I loved GTA5. It's the first open-world game I've ever finished. Wish it had some type of fast-travel, though, especially for post-game clean-up.

inm8num2

These lists are always fun. Even if a person disagrees with certain rankings or order within the list, the bigger picture of "top 100" is usually cool to behold.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, I realize that's only the bottom 10, but looking at that list makes me realize just how dull the last 8 years have been.

Other than Vanquish, which is tha shit.

MYeager

Seems strange to say that they should've included this game or ignored that game when it's their list and of course my personal choices are going to be different. However I do think that handheld games should've been included since those sales made up a significant percentage of last gen sales and the high quality of many games makes this an odd omission. The seventh generation was fantastic though and I look forward to seeing what else they add to their list.

I just know they are gonna put Halo 4 above Halo 3...

And are they gonna put The Orange Box on the list? Because that is probably a top 10 contender if so.

My personal top five for last generation would probably look like this:

5. Burnout Paradise
4. Batman: Arkham Asylum
3. Xenoblade Chronicles
2. Metroid Prime Trilogy
1. Super Mario Galaxy 1& 2

J3ffro

I wish I liked Vanquish as much as so many others here. I finished it and thought "Glad I didn't spend any money on that". I honestly thought the outrage at its #95 was that it was on this list at all.

If Journey is in the top 10 I'll be happy.

This would be tough...it's so damn subjective as you'll see by the constant bickering in this thread....my personal, attempted without bias, top 10 would be:

1. Mass Effect
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. The Last of Us
4. Journey
5. Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
6. Red Dead Redemption
7. Fallout 3
8. Uncharted 2
9. Assassins Creed 2
10. Minecraft (and I really don't like Minecraft, but it can't be left out of the Top 10)

Dr.Hadji

Man, its going to be funny when FF13 ends up anywhere above these games.

Are you really saying that Super Smash Bros Brawl is not one of the 100 best games released in the last 7 years? Really?

Melee fans have been crying for years. Shouldn't really surprise you they'd think that.

Go_Ly_Dow

Expecting Xenoblade to break top 10.

In no order

-Xenoblade
-The Last of Us
-GTAV
-Uncharted 2
-COD4MW

Hard to guess the other 5.

Rubius

Yes, definitely. Melee was amazing. Brawl.... Sigh. Let's not talk about Brawl...

I understand that Brawl is less liked than Melee, okay I have no problem with that. But this is a top 100. I hardly see how you could make a Top 100 of the last generation and not include Smash Bros Brawl, a game with extreme polish and outside of speed and tripping, better in every way compared to Melee.
Hell, for me Brawl would probably be in my top 20 just for the Soundtrack and pure content alone.

Brawl is in the top of the last gen, and even if it's not liked as much, deserve a spot on any last gen Top 100.

JediLink

Smash Bros Brawl, a game with extreme polish

Laser_Lock_Falco_Brawl.gif

Yep. Look at all that polish.

EDIT: Also, let's not forget the all things outside the core gameplay too, like the Subspace Emissary, the sad excuse for a Target Test, the model import trophies, the lackluster stage builder, the terribad online, etc. Brawl is definitely up there in quantity, but severely lacking in quality.

My personal top 10:

1- The Last of US
2- Dark Souls
3- Mass Effect 2
4- Arkham Asylum
5- Day Z
6- Uncharted 2
7- Skyrim
8- Fallout 3
9- South Park TSOT
10- Starcraft 2 - Wings of Liberty

Some Nobody

Well that would just highlight that handheld consoles were equal if not superior to their home console counterparts during the previous generation. Honestly it isn't surprising since handhelds have always been overlooked during these end of year lists but it won't stop me from calling these outlets a hive of fools. Makes one wonder if they are all a bunch of shut-ins if they've never experienced the wonder of handheld gaming, not that you need to leave the house to play them, but when one is out and about it was your only option (remember most of that gen was pre smart phone gaming boom).

When I leave the house I've got shit to do. When I come home I don't wanna stare at a tiny screen. At the end of the day, I know the DS had some games that personally interest me that I probably should play (Suikoden Tierkreis, Radiant Historia, and Infinite Space come to mind among others), but I really don't feel like staring at such a small screen.

Mario Kart and Smash Bros. just lost to Sleeping Dogs.

Sounds like they're doing good to me, then.

Would love to see anyone here make a Top 100 list of games last gen, ranked or un-ranked.

I didn't even--

I don't think I even played 100 games last gen.

Damn. Ninja'd. 20 games, perhaps. But 100? I didn't even start this gen until 2010.

I hope there isn't a pseudo uncharted 3 review score breakdown if TLoU doesn't make it into top ten.

It is hard to narrow this down to top 5

Super Mario Galaxy, Dota 2/League of Legends, Dark Souls, World of Warcraft and The Wind Waker are five of the top of my head that would be great contenders for top five.

Rubius

Laser_Lock_Falco_Brawl.gif

Yep. Look at all that polish.

EDIT: Also, let's not forget the all things outside the core gameplay too, like the Subspace Emissary, the sad excuse for a Target Test, the model import trophies, the lackluster stage builder, the terribad online, etc. Brawl is definitely up there in quantity, but severely lacking in quality.

Dont forget that it was on the Wii, a console that is more a overclocked Gamecube than a last gen console. The Subspace Emissary was a great addition to the single player mode, giving a light brawler solo game. The online on the Wii overall was bad overall so it's not really a problem with Brawl per say. Brawl was really polished for a Wii Title and is probably in the top 10-20 of the system.

I can understand somebody not liking it too much, but this is not a Top 100 of all time, this is restrained to a single generation.

Mman235

Wonder when people will learn that you should just ignore the numbering and treat things like this as a list of 100 good games?

Never

Some Nobody

Wonder when people will learn that you should just ignore the numbering and treat things like this as a list of 100 good games?

Never

^ Listen to this guy. I stopped focusing on placement ages ago. The more games that I like that make someone's Top list the better, and that's it.

Top 10 (This is what I think IGN's Top 10 will be, not mine)

-Bioshock
-Mario Galaxy 2
-Mass Effect 2
-Last of Us
-GTA 5
-Dark Souls
-Red Dead Redemption
-Last of Us
-Gears 2
-Uncharted 2

What do I get if I'm correct?

I think you've nailed it (maybe I'd exchange Gears 2 for Wii Sports, as IGN has a soft spot for Nintendo)

IGN usually does the "expected", while Gamespot likes giving us surprises (like zelda ALBW being game of the year)

edit: Oh, Journey is missing :O
Expect that game to be in the top 10 for sure :)

How do you even compare the two? One of them is pure gameplay, the other is more of a cinematic experience

Yeah, its hard to compare games when some obviously take a different direction. RE4 for example, is so much more satisfying and more fun as a TPS compared to Uncharted, while Uncharted craps all over RE4 in the presentation department. Ultimately I would place RE4 higher than uncharted because it's gameplay had more impact on me and I'm more enticed to go back and play through that than uncharted, because my highest value in a game is it's fun factor, not its story or presentation.

Would love to see anyone here make a Top 100 list of games last gen, ranked or un-ranked.

Maybe a top 25, but 100 is just too much. Way too many spaces to fill with sequels and remakes.

It's not like IGN is in any position to grade the lasting appeal of seventh gen games anyway.
Deadly Premonition

okayfrog

Banned
Dont forget that it was on the Wii, a console that is more a overclocked Gamecube than a last gen console.

ugh, it has been nearly eight years and I'm still hearing this shit on here. Just how ignorant must you be?

Anyways, delightful to see Spec Ops and Sleeping Dogs on there. Two damn fine games that I thought would be forgotten.

So it's a list chosen by worldwide IGN not just the US site? That should atleast mix things up alittle since wasn't it IGN Italy that gave W101 a 9 or 10?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
1) Everyone so confident Last of Us will be #1 should be sure to check back on Friday.

2) We aren't wild about the top 100 template either. It's on the "the list" of things to revise, eventually. Product just did a major redesign of IGN's article pages though, so major projects like that take priority.

Rubius

ugh, it has been nearly eight years and I'm still hearing this shit on here. Just how ignorant must you be?

Anyways, delightful to see Spec Ops and Sleeping Dogs on there. Two damn fine games that I thought would be forgotten.

It's a figure of speech to say that the Wii is between the two gen power wise. Like right now the Wii U is more powerfull than the 360 and Ps3 but less powerfull than the Ps4 and X1.

jett

D-Member
Vanquish being so low is kinda wrong, but at least it wasn't forgotten.

1) Everyone so confident Last of Us will be #1 should be sure to check back on Friday.

2) We aren't wild about the top 100 template either. It's on the "the list" of things to revise, eventually. Product just did a major redesign of IGN's article pages though, so major projects like that take priority.

Well I sure hope IGN's #1 it isn't a shooter where the shooting is complete shit. coughbioshockcough

m0t0k1

Well you can fill in your own list but tons of good games are missing but i have worked out a list with the games i could choose. Also sad about no handhelds list would almost consist of those if i had the chance.

http://ignconsolegameofageneration.ign.com/

1. Mario Kart Wii
2. The Last Story
3. Monster Hunter Tri
4. Tekken Tag Tournament 2
5. Bayonetta
6. Zelda Twilight Princess
7. Catherine
8. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
9. Valkirya Chronicles
10.Yakuza 4

Anth0ny

My top 5:

1. Dark Souls
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
5. TLOU

They'll probably only include 1 Galaxy game. For some reason these lists tend to do that.

Around how many editors make up this top 100 list?

And if it ain't TLOU, I'm going with Fallout 3.

I will be sure to check back. Only thing that "might" beat TLOU is GTA V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom