• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's top 100 games of last gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
#86 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
#85 Skylanders

List is already broke as fuck. Maybe next time IGN.

Considering their criteria, I don't understand how people are complaining about this more than anything. Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess were the least innovative and influential games in the entire series. Skylanders is debatably one of the most successful franchises of this generation, it's huge, it's also beginning to inspire other companies to make similar games e.g. Disney Infinity. Skylanders was infinitely more successful than Skyward Sword by most criteria other than the category of "people who hate its success compared to their nostalgic view of a series that is dying out."

Exalted

So strange and slow that you you have to click each time to move to the next game and reload the site.They could easily list 5-10 games per page.

So strange and slow that you you have to click each time to move to the next game and reload the site.They could easily list 5-10 games per page.

If they could make you click through 400 pages to see a top 10 list they would do it. It's just a way to get gullible people to artificially raise the amount of ads they serve up.

Considering their criteria, I don't understand how people are complaining about this more than anything. Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess were the least innovative and influential games in the entire series.

Opinions are cool.

Skylanders was infinitely more successful than Skyward Sword by most criteria other than the category of "people who hate its success compared to their nostalgic view of a series that is dying out."

I thought this was their top 100 games, not their top 100 influential/successful games. That last blurb you made also assumes that people that like Zelda only like it for "nostalgic" reasons and that just because it's not as "popular" as it may have been (20 years ago) means its somehow lesser.

The fact that they will put Halo 4 above halo 3 is quite telling.

They have no idea what they are doing. That being said it would be difficult to make a list of 100 games in order of quality.

Those games are what comes to mind when I think the best of last gen, and even though I love Vanquish more than that, I'm not going to throw a fit when they put it much lower.

The Last of Us is my top spot of last gen, I expect one of their GOTY games to get the honor.

JediLink

What do y'all reckon are the chances of seeing stuff like 999 or Virtue's Last Reward on here? I finished 999 not too long ago, and it was fantastic. I hope they don't just, like, forget about it or something.

If Halo 4 is on the list, or none of the Souls games make top 10, I will riot.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What do y'all reckon are the chances of seeing stuff 999 or Virtue's Last Reward on here? I finished 999 not too long ago, and it was fantastic. I hope they don't just, like, forget about it or something.

0% because IGN are ignorant of handheld console gaming.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
If they put Halo 4 on this list at any point, the whole list is wrong. 3 > 4.

EDIT: Actually.. it's already fucked up. I really can't believe they put Halo 3 at #82. One of my favorites last gen.

Toxi

Banned
Mario Kart and Smash Bros. just lost to Sleeping Dogs, LEGO Marvel, and Spec Ops: The Line.

What a joke of a list.
After replaying vanilla Brawl with my best amigo yesterday for the first time in years, I understand why it was placed so "low". The game's approach clearly favored quantity over quality compared to 64 and Melee with a hideously bloated subspace emissary, and the battle mechanics just aren't that fun even with the varied items and stages. We actually had the most fun doing special rules with the speed raised because it made the characters feel more "smooth".

It's still a good game, but it reminds me of Donkey Kong 64 in how tedious it can be.

Zaventem

It will always be hard for people to make a list.. top 100 at that and have people agreeing but so far i agree with the games on the list with the exception of Unfinished Swan.

Didn't we already get all this 'Best Games of the Generation' retrospective stuff out the way before the next/current gen kicked off? I mean, IGN already put this out two years ago, has so much changed since then that we need another census of the 100 best seventh gen games?

http://www.ign.com/top/modern-games

Just seems to me like rehashing yet another Top 100 list formula with (most likely) some new additions from last year to generate hits. But then, I've never been one for list retrospectives. How exactly do you judge which deserves to be placed higher between TLOU and Mario galaxy? On what criteria do you judge that a zombie survival game is better than a platformer? These lists just seem arbitrary to me. Better to just say "Here's a bunch of great games from last gen, make sure you play them before jumping into next-gen".

EDIT

Just as a heads up, the last time IGN did this, Mass Effect 2 was their number 1 game of the generation.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Didn't we already get all this 'Best Games of the Generation' retrospective stuff out the way before the next/current gen kicked off? I mean, IGN already put this out two years ago, has so much changed since then that we need another census of the 100 best seventh gen games?

http://www.ign.com/top/modern-games

Just seems to me like rehashing yet another Top 100 list formula with (most likely) some new additions from last year to generate hits. But then, I've never been one for list retrospectives. How exactly do you judge which deserves to be placed higher between TLOU and Mario galaxy? On what criteria do you judge that a zombie survival game is better than a platformer? These lists just seem arbitrary to me. Better to just say "Here's a bunch of great games from last gen, make sure you play them before jumping into next-gen".

EDIT

Just as a heads up, the last time IGN did this, Mass Effect 2 was their number 1 game of the generation.

Their 10th on the list was SSBB, it's now #91. That's a big change.

Hoje0308

Banned
Top 10 (This is what I think IGN's Top 10 will be, not mine)

-Bioshock
-Mario Galaxy 2
-Mass Effect 2
-Last of Us
-GTA 5
-Dark Souls
-Red Dead Redemption
-Last of Us
-Gears 2
-Uncharted 2

What do I get if I'm correct?

Aren't a few of the IGN guys indifferent toward the Souls games?

Their 10th on the list was SSBB, it's now #91. That's a big change.

Based on what though? Did 80 other games come out since Brawl that meant it was displaced for reasons of quality? Or is it just arbitrary ranking based on whatever the feeling of the writers at the time?

My point is, this seems less "100 best games of the last gen" and more "100 games which we feel a certain way about at this given moment in time." These sort of countdown lists never have all that much of substance, or weight to them, they're just a collation of of-the-moment opinions spread out to be revealed over several days in order to generate more clicks.

State of Decay should have been higher. You could enter every building on sizable map.
It fits the definition of the zombie game we deserved but not the one we needed(Day Z)

Mr-Joker

Banned
Did IGN seriously omit the DS and PSP line up in their 100 games countdown?

If so then that list is null and void with me.

Zach

I predict they won't include Deadly Premonition on their list, which is why IGN's opinion means very little to me.

Based on what though? Did 80 other games come out since Brawl that meant it was displaced for reasons of quality? Or is it just arbitrary ranking based on whatever the feeling of the writers at the time?

My point is, this seems less "100 best games of the last gen" and more "100 games which we feel a certain way about at this given moment in time." These sort of countdown lists never have all that much of substance, or weight to them, they're just a collation of of-the-moment opinions spread out to be revealed over several days in order to generate more clicks.
True, they're probably doing this because their readers like this kind of ranking content, I though that was obvious based on the amount of top lists they publish.

HalcyonXcution

Neo Member
Reach shits on Halo 3 from a great height

Halo-GAF doesn't know what's good

Reaches campaign and local mutliplayer were good but online matchmaking and firefight was the start of halo online going down hill. Dont get me wrong I love halo 4s campaign but the multiplayer was followed through with reaches which is sad. Halo3 had a far more enjoyable online experience, were reach felt the need to take out power ups, equipment on the map, Introduce load outs and armor abilities as well as the credit system. As for firefight I preferred odst survival version then reaches focused more towards a arcade experience.

Banned
http://www.ign.com/top/games-of-a-generation

#100 Skate 2
#99 Viva Piñata 2
#98 Mario Kart Wii
#97 Condemned
#96 Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag
#95 Vanquish
#94 DJ Hero
#93 Dance Central
#92 State of Decay
#91 Super Smash Bros Brawl
#90 Unfinished Swan
#89 Splinter Cell: Blacklist
#88 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
#87 Sleeping Dogs
#86 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
#85 Skylanders
#84 Crackdown
#83 LEGO Marvel
#82 Halo 3
#81 Spec Ops: The Line

smh at Vanquish being #95
Vanquish, skyward sword and brawl should all be top 30 at least. But whatever. These countdowns never please me, especially IGNs.

I just realized a horrifgying fact.
They may be insane enough to put Castlevania: Lord of the Shadows above some of the games there (which is crazy enough) and won't have any of the Metroidvanias on the DS on top of that

HalcyonXcution

Neo Member
Let's just agree that Halo 4 was atrocious. We need to have a common enemy.

Halo 4 is not a bad game, to me what 343i is doing with the campaign in this new trilogy is awesome, plus the fact that the books are diving more into the cannon is just an awesome bonus. To me though halo 4s multiplayer was no surprise, Loadouts? Reach had those just poorly implemented. Removing weapons off the map? Reach took out custom power ups and equipment. The progression system in halo 4? Reaches credit system. I may not care for halo 4s multiplayer but to say 343i did a bad job no, they just followed bungie in the way they were steering the multiplayer sadly :(

I don't know why people complain all the time with these lists. I like to see the list of games, reminisce of the ones I've played, I might check out some others I might have overlooked and just see how they can pull off the impossible task of ranking all these games.

Getting hung up on why X over Y? Short changes my enjoyment in the lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom