• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's top 100 games of last gen

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalchAC

If I don't see Tales of Vesperia and Catherine in that list, I'm going to block IGN in my browser.

And it's a shame they didn't put handhelds in that list (they say it's only for PS3/360/Wii)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No handhelds. Stupid, I know.

Well time to get that pit ready.
isMV3H4CGrsAT.gif

They can redeem themselves if Excite Truck is in the top 10.

I-hate-u

2005: Okami
2006: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2007: Super Mario Galaxy
2008: Fallout 3
2009: Uncharted 2
2010: Mass Effect 2
2011: Portal 2
2012: Journey
2013: The Last of Us

Ansatz

In a top 10 I would put things like CoD: Modern Warfare and Wii Sports, these are not necessarily the most refined but they're landmark titles and represent the 7th generation. They will also age better than anything else. I prefer to see these pure arcade games over immersive story games like Mass Effect, "experiences" such as Journey or sandbox (GTA/RDR)

My number 1 choice is Galaxy 2 but IGN will pick TLoU.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'd say the top 5 will consist of

Bioshock
The Last of Us
Mario Galaxy
GTAV
Uncharted 2 (Possibly Demon's/Dark Souls instead)

Vanquish is better than whatever Naughty Dog game their number 1 will be.

Be realistic, I LOVE Vanquish but it's not that good. Should be top 20 tho.

2005: Okami
2006: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2007: Super Mario Galaxy
2008: Fallout 3
2009: Uncharted 2
2010: Mass Effect 2
2011: Portal 2
2012: Journey
2013: The Last of Us

Wait so IGN picked Okami over Resi 4 and SOTC? Did not know that

3bdelilah

Banned
It's pretty weird they gave Skyward Sword a straight 10, saying "it's a masterpiece and OOT found its match", only to put it on the 88th place. Call me old fashioned but I'd think all the 10/10's IGN gave should make up the list accordingly.

For the record, SS kind of disappointed me and I personally wouldn't give it more than 8/10, but still. By the end of the list I'm pretty sure SS would be better than at least 50 games in this list. But thank God for different opinions, then.

AniHawk

Anyone else like me and know their top 10 won't even make IGN's top 50?

i have faith in mirror's edge. i think that it will be in the top 50.

maybe team fortress 2, too. hard to say if they won't count that as the orange box though. if they do, then it should rank a lot higher.

m0t0k1

Well time to get that pit ready.
isMV3H4CGrsAT.gif

They can redeem themselves if Excite Truck is in the top 10.

LOOLL as much as i love excite trucks i am 99,9% sure that won't make the list because ign. Also seeing my favorite last gen game Mario Kart Wii that low and no handhelds i will dig that hole next to you.

Wasn't it IGN who said the only problem with Gears 2 was that it was too good?

I'm guessing Journey, Gears 2, TLoU and GTA5 will be very high up. Probably one of the BioShocks too. And Mario Galaxy. And Dark Souls.

No, that was Ryan O'Donnell, formerly of 1UP. He co-founded Area 5 with a couple of other former 1UP Show guys and last worked on the making of The Last of Us documentary, which was pretty awesome.

Qurupeke

It's pretty weird they gave Skyward Sword a straight 10, saying "it's a masterpiece and OOT found its match", only to put it on the 88th place. Call me old fashioned but I'd think all the 10/10's IGN gave should make up the list accordingly.

For the record, SS kind of disappointed me and I personally wouldn't give it more than 8/10, but still. By the end of the list I'm pretty sure SS would be better than at least 50 games in this list. But thank God for different opinions, then.

I agree. It just seems they gave it a 10 because it's Zelda. The hype SS generated was huge, I still remember the backlash Gamespot got for their review.

Sleeping Dogs and Hot Pursuit are too low dammit! They should be in the top 30 at least. Good call on slipping Spec Ops in there though. That game's reputation has really blossomed since it released.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I agree. It just seems they gave it a 10 because it's Zelda. The hype SS generated was huge, I still remember the backlash Gamespot got for their review.

That was a very strange situation for me. OOT is my joint favourite game of all time, I played and loved every Zelda since that one but had absolutely no interest in SS. It just looked so bland and soulless, after reading all the glowing reviews I still just wasn't interested. The technical limitations of the Wii didn't help either.

Kensuke

persona 5, fairy fencer f, secret unannounced ps3 rpg, and what else?

i guess in terms of non exclusives, metal gear solid 5: nacho kinda people and destiny could make the grade.

Tales of Xillia 2 and Tales of Zesteria. I guess they're all RPG's. Persona 5 is pretty significant for me though. P4 is one of my all-time favorite games and it came out when the PS2 was also thought of as pretty much dead. P5 could follow the same pattern.

braves01

Banned
Going off IGN's stated criteria, I think CoD 4 ought to be #1. It checks all boxes authoritatively--innovation, influence, longevity, excellence, and uniqueness. The Last of Us probably shouldn't be in the top 5 (maybe even top 10). Gears, Uncharted, Dark Souls, Street Fighter 4, and Wii Sports ought to be ahead of it. I'm sure some others will come to mind as I post this.

I also expect handhelds will be mostly ignored and Journey will erroneously be placed in the top 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom