• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's top 100 games of last gen

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
1. Mass Effect 3

NfNOG.gif

Should have been first post :p

Qurupeke

That was a very strange situation for me. OOT is my joint favourite game of all time, I played and loved every Zelda since that one but had absolutely no interest in SS. It just looked so bland and soulless, after reading all the glowing reviews I still just wasn't interested. The technical limitations of the Wii didn't help either.

I actually enjoyed it and I really want to play it again sometime. Despite that, it was completely underwhelming. Media called it the best Zelda ever, but imo it is just a mediocre Zelda. There were quite a few issues and yeah, being in Wii was bad for the game.

And I still remember comments like "Best story in a Zelda game." or "Finally the truth about how everything began.". Just hilarious.

Kensuke

It's pretty weird they gave Skyward Sword a straight 10, saying "it's a masterpiece and OOT found its match", only to put it on the 88th place. Call me old fashioned but I'd think all the 10/10's IGN gave should make up the list accordingly.

For the record, SS kind of disappointed me and I personally wouldn't give it more than 8/10, but still. By the end of the list I'm pretty sure SS would be better than at least 50 games in this list. But thank God for different opinions, then.

Not weird at all. IGN isn't a hivemind (just like GAF). That 10/10 was the opinion of one single writer. I'm sure this list is compiled by the whole editorial staff. The guy form the SS review doesn't even work at IGN anymore.

Remember that lists are snapshots of the time they were made by the people who made them. They can be fun, but try not to take them seriously.

MormaPope

Banned
Top 10 is going to be a blood bath no matter what the results are. Software last gen was decisive as fuck, not one person will have exact or even similar tastes widespread compared to one another.

Feindflug

#99 Viva Piñata 2
#98 Mario Kart Wii
#97 Condemned
#95 Vanquish
#87 Sleeping Dogs
#86 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
#84 Crackdown
#82 Halo 3

LOL.

By their own criteria how could they put DJ Hero in the top 100?

The list was hand-picked by IGN's editors from across the globe and the judging criteria was diverse, with games qualifying because of their innovation, influence, longevity, excellence or uniqueness -- or in some cases, all of the above.

Innovation? Nope
Influence? Nope
Longevity? LOL
Excellence? Debatable
Uniqueness? Not exactly.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I want to know the thought process that goes into their list. Sometime it just looks like its put together with random ass number.

That was a very strange situation for me. OOT is my joint favourite game of all time, I played and loved every Zelda since that one but had absolutely no interest in SS. It just looked so bland and soulless, after reading all the glowing reviews I still just wasn't interested. The technical limitations of the Wii didn't help either.

It's alright, but it's far from something you have to play. It was the first 3D Zelda that wasn't directed by Aonuma, and it really shows. Thank god he's back for the next one.

A Link Between Worlds is worth playing if you haven't already.

BY2K

Membero Americo
#86 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Okay, it's not the best Zelda game, but c'mon... below Skylanders?

EDIT: They gave Skyward Sword a 10 and the highest score a Skylanders game ever got on IGN is 8.2. See how messed up that score system is?

Eurogamer's list was good with Galaxy, Dark Souls and Spelunky in the top 3. Let's see how IGN does

Worse, would be my guess.

Games that deserve to be in the top 10: Galaxy (I'm fine with either or both), Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, Bayonetta, The Last of Us.

Vanquish is way, way too low. Hoping for a Bulletstorm appearance.

I'm going to be sad* when Halo 4 is rated above Halo 3, Mass Effect 2 above ME1, and Fallout 3 is rated above New Vegas.

*Not really sad, but you know what I mean.

It's weird to say '(insert game here) better be in the top 10' when it's their list, and their opinion.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 better be in the top 10 >_>

Feindflug

Okay, it's not the best Zelda game, but c'mon... below Skylanders?

EDIT: They gave Skyward Sword a 10 and the highest score a Skylanders game ever got on IGN is 8.2. See how messed up that score system is?

I can't wait to see the numerous games that are more innovative, influencing, better and/or more unique than Halo 3, Crackdown, Skyward Sword & Vanquish.

To be honest by just looking at the bottom of their list you know that you can't take this seriously.

Wouldn't even know where to begin here. You can fill up a top 10 easily. Galaxy, Galaxy 2, Spelunky HD, Portal, TWEWY, TLOU, Super Meat Boy, Persona 4, The Walking Dead S1, Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, Dance Central, Deadly Premonition, No More Heroes, Journey.

It's a big list. I'd probably give it to Ghost Trick, to be honest.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To be fair, the handhelds would dominate more than half the list, and then how would IGN get that sweet dough from the AAA publishers?

Well that would just highlight that handheld consoles were equal if not superior to their home console counterparts during the previous generation. Honestly it isn't surprising since handhelds have always been overlooked during these end of year lists but it won't stop me from calling these outlets a hive of fools. Makes one wonder if they are all a bunch of shut-ins if they've never experienced the wonder of handheld gaming, not that you need to leave the house to play them, but when one is out and about it was your only option (remember most of that gen was pre smart phone gaming boom).

IGN's top 100 games of last generation, excluding PC games, handheld games, and indie games.

Seriously, I get it when scrubs on a message board only have 1 console that their Mom got them, but how do you work for a major video game website and manage to be so ignorant about the different games out there. It's like if Roger Ebert only watched movies put out by Sony Pictures and Warner Brothers.

NewGame

Banned
There's a bunch of things I can predict about this with uncanny accuracy:

The numbering in this list will be highly questionable with many a title appearing to be missing while what is presented is unsurprisingly American centric.

I await with eager anticipations the letting slip the dogs of GAF to fervently tear it apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom