• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Il-2 Birds of Prey 360 demo tomorrow

Gowans

can't wait for the release.

I won one of the questions of the day on the twitter feed too :D

Looking forward to my little prize showing up.

Also latest press release shows a ustream demo is coming up tomorrow

LIVE IL-2 DEMO BROADCAST ON THURSDAY

Milton Keynes, 11 August 2009 – On Thursday 13th August 505 Games, in collaboration with 1C Company, will give fans eagerly awaiting the 4th September release of IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds Of Prey the chance to watch the game being demoed live by members of the team through popular social networking site Twitter via UStream.

The demo session will be hosted by Mark Allen, European Communications Manager for 505 Games, who will guide viewers through a selection of some of the fifty missions available in the game that take place in locations as diverse as Battle of Britain, Stalingrad and the Battle of the Bulge. An exclusive UStream channel (http://www.ustream.tv) has been created to broadcast the demo to attendees who will be able to engage in live chat with other viewers throughout.

A Q&A session will also follow the demonstration to give fans the chance to pose questions to the developers on the inner workings of the title. For anyone who misses the event as it happens, all chat posts, questions and answers will include the hashtag #IL2LiveDemo for easy reference. The demo session will go live from 12:30 on Thursday 13th August. For further updates and details on how to view the live stream please refer to http://twitter.com/IL2BirdsOfPrey

About IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds Of Prey

Based around large-scale aerial combat over the ground-based military operations of World War II, variety is at the heart of the action in IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey. Players participate in the most famous confrontations of the era piloting fighters, battle planes or heavy bombers across a range of missions. There are 6 theatres of war in which to engage – The Battle of Britain, Stalingrad , Berlin , Sicily , the Battle of the Bulge and Korsun – representing the main airborne battles of World War II in Europe .

As well as taking environmental and landscape visuals to new heights by incorporating satellite technology, IL-2 also boasts a tangible damage effects engine. Players will see real-time damage to the aircraft such as holes in the wings and trail lines during dogfights.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey will be published by 505 Games in collaboration with 1C Company on 4th September for Xbox 360, PS3, Nintendo DS and PSP. For all the latest information visit the official website at www.il2game.com or follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/IL2BirdsOfPrey

Thought I would bump this with some PS3 impression:

First off the tearing is pretty bad when you look around, it is worse in Dover to the point of avoiding looking around because of the rampant tearing mess.

Secondly I love sim mode, being a console gaming peasant (work = PC for me so I can't get into gaming on it) this is definitely a great change of pace and extremely rewarding to shoot down enemy fighters catching them in the tracers of the cannon fire. I love it, simply love it. Also the PS3 version can take screenshots from the XMB. See below:

IL-2SturmovikBirdsOfPreyDEMO.png

IL-2SturmovikBirdsOfPreyDEMO_1.png

GrayFoxPL

Dubbedinenglish said:
Thought I would bump this with some PS3 impression:

First off the tearing is pretty bad when you look around, it is worse in Dover to the point of avoiding looking around because of the rampant tearing mess.

Secondly I love sim mode, being a console gaming peasant (work = PC for me so I can't get into gaming on it) this is definitely a great change of pace and extremely rewarding to shoot down enemy fighters catching them in the tracers of the cannon fire. I love it, simply love it. Also the PS3 version can take screenshots from the XMB. See below:

IL-2SturmovikBirdsOfPreyDEMO.png

IL-2SturmovikBirdsOfPreyDEMO_1.png

I finally downloaded the demo out of bordom. The game took me by surprise.

I have the same impressions of sim mode. It's so satisfing. But I was a minute from not trying it at all, deleting the demo and forgeting the game ever existed. First impressions weren't good.

The arcade mode is terrible, terrible. Don't get me wrong, I like arcade flight shooters but this is shit. It's like arcade flight game dumbed down and then dumbed down again. It makes the game look bad. The second I wanted to quit the game the sim mode unlocked and everything changed. The arcade is just badly made.

The tearing is terrible in outside view in arcade, but it's not nearly that bad in locked cockpit view in simulation. I havent noticed tearing this way.

Dubbedinenglish, how do you take grabs on the ps3 version. I know the feature but I keep forgetting over and over how to do it. :lol

Also I'm dumb again, but how to look around in cockpit mode? R3 seems to not work.

GrayFoxPL said:
I finally downloaded the demo out of bordom. The game took me by surprise.

I have the same impressions of sim mode. It's so satisfing. But I was a minute from not trying it at all, deleting the demo and forgeting the game ever existed. First impressions weren't good.

The arcade mode is terrible, terrible. Don't get me wrong, I like arcade flight shooters but this is shit. It's like arcade flight game dumbed down and then dumbed down again. It makes the game look bad. The second I wanted to quit the game the sim mode unlocked and everything changed. The arcade is just badly made.

The tearing is terrible in outside view in arcade, but it's not nearly that bad in locked cockpit view in simulation. I havent noticed tearing this way.

Dubbedinenglish, how do you take grabs on the ps3 version. I know the feature but I keep forgetting over and over how to do it. :lol

Also I'm dumb again, but how to look around in cockpit mode? R3 seems to not work.

Definetly feel the same about arcade mode, realistic mode is much nicer without the bite of sim for pick-up and play. Arcade mode gets comical with how damned fast you accelerate. I went to WEP inthe Spitfire and reached about 800 mph in no time...

Another thing I forgot to mention was in sim mode it is imperative to cut down the sensitivity to at least half, otherswise flat spins will be quite common.

For screen shots bring up the XMB in game and scroll to the photos section and you'll see an icon to take a screenshot.

I also use the second controller configuration (shows up black due to a demo bug). It maps throttle to L2 and R2 and yaw to L1 and R1 (more like Ace Combat which I'm used to). The look around is then the right stick so it is easier to see around.

GrayFoxPL

Dubbedinenglish said:
Definetly feel the same about arcade mode, realistic mode is much nicer without the bite of sim for pick-up and play. Arcade mode gets comical with how damned fast you accelerate. I went to WEP inthe Spitfire and reached about 800 mph in no time...

Another thing I forgot to mention was in sim mode it is imperative to cut down the sensitivity to at least half, otherswise flat spins will be quite common.

For screen shots bring up the XMB in game and scroll to the photos section and you'll see an icon to take a screenshot.

I also use the second controller configuration (shows up black due to a demo bug). It maps throttle to L2 and R2 and yaw to L1 and R1 (more like Ace Combat which I'm used to). The look around is then the right stick so it is easier to see around.

I didn't mess with sensitivity as I'm always afraid I'd confuse myself even more, but I got little used to it by doing the "milimiter movement aproach" :lol. I'll turn it down a little today.

Thanks for the tips. I wanted to change controls, but yeah, I thought it isn't there. The second config seems to be a winner for me as I kept pressing L,R2 for throttle by instinct some times.

Shawsie64

Banned
Being a hardcore IL-2 fan on PC after hearing impressions from fellow PC sim fanatics i was hyped for this.. i played the PS3 demo and couldn't get into it even on sim mod. I think I miss my Track IR tbh and the frame rate/tearing really put me off :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
not played a decent flight sim for years now, since SU-27 flanker which I worked on.

How are the view modes in this? On SU-27 I loved the 'padlock' view, where you could lock onto an enemy plane and track that as you manouevred. Does IL-2 have anything like that?

Gowans

I've abandoned the official thread I was going to make for this because of my new born.

Anyone else going to put one together?

mrklaw said:
not played a decent flight sim for years now, since SU-27 flanker which I worked on.

How are the view modes in this? On SU-27 I loved the 'padlock' view, where you could lock onto an enemy plane and track that as you manouevred. Does IL-2 have anything like that?

Yes it does, although it doesn't have it in sim mode, only arcade and realistic. Kind of annoying but then you can't lock onto targets in sim so I suppose it makes sense.

Really looking forward to this, played the demo quite a lot already.

spwolf

demo has horrible frame rate issues... i am usually not sensitive to frame rate usually but damn, it feels like it goes to less than 10fps at times.

Zenith

Banned
Gowans007 said:
I've abandoned the official thread I was going to make for this because of my new born.

Anyone else going to put one together?

when's it coming out? did you have a banner?

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Asmodai said:
Trailer said September 4th. Can't wait!

Finally a good combat flight sim. The first one ever in my opinion :lol

Hopefully people buy some copies so more flight sims are released on consoles.

Asmodai

Banned
Brimstone said:
Hopefully people buy some copies so more flight sims are released on consoles.

Or so that more flight sims are made period. Genre's almost dead. I would call it dead if not for this game.

I know I'm buying it close to launch. Need something to play in the months leading up to MW2. And after, of course.

Gowans007 said:

OT, but congrats on the new addition!

I think I'm going to give this game a whirl. But sadly I'm going to be cheap and wait for it to drop in price. Just too many other games this holiday season to play. Was just looking at a cheap joystick for Freespace 2 on the PC, so I'll look to nab one that I'll be able to play this with as well.

Asmodai

Banned
TheFightingFish said:
I think I'm going to give this game a whirl. But sadly I'm going to be cheap and wait for it to drop in price. Just too many other games this holiday season to play. Was just looking at a cheap joystick for Freespace 2 on the PC, so I'll look to nab one that I'll be able to play this with as well.

This game isn't on PC, and PC joysticks won't work on PS3 or 360 unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
spwolf said:
demo has horrible frame rate issues... i am usually not sensitive to frame rate usually but damn, it feels like it goes to less than 10fps at times.

I've been playing retail for about a week, there are some very, very minor frame rate issues... the game is not representative of your experience with it spwolf.

This game has some problems, but I find myself enjoying the hell out of it.

Asmodai

Banned

Zenith

Banned
El_TigroX said:
I've been playing retail for about a week, there are some very, very minor frame rate issues... the game is not representative of your experience with it spwolf.

info? Does the campaign build-up to anything or is it like the PC version where it's the same missions over and over then it cuts out. Do you get to fly anything larger than a P-38? Any jets appear in the game? Is it polished?

spwolf

El_TigroX said:

good, then they really fucked up with the demo.

Asmodai

Banned
Zenith said:
info? Does the campaign build-up to anything or is it like the PC version where it's the same missions over and over then it cuts out. Do you get to fly anything larger than a P-38? Any jets appear in the game? Is it polished?

I can answer these two questions. You can fly several twin engine light bomber aircraft, like the Russian IL-4, the Blenheim, the He-111, the A-20 Havoc and anything in that general size class. (can't wait to fly the A-20 myself, very interesting aircraft. Saw one a few weeks ago at Abbotsford air show)

As for jets, the Me 262 and He 162 are in it at the least. They even have that crazy German rocket powered interceptor.

Very glad to hear that the framerate problem was only in the demo apparently.

Apeboy

Bamelin said:
Anymore impressions? (searched for "official" thread but couldn't find one)

The impression the demo left on me is wait until bargain bin or DLCs that fix tearing, twitch controls like planes flipping on rudder input while coasting at very slow speed and include German cockpits for at least the 109, 190 and JU-87. Looks like they have also used the same cockpit the P-51 and Jug.

I really enjoyed the original PC version but unfortunately it looks like BoP was cobbled together for consoles.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Dubbedinenglish said:
Secondly I love sim mode, being a console gaming peasant (work = PC for me so I can't get into gaming on it) this is definitely a great change of pace and extremely rewarding to shoot down enemy fighters catching them in the tracers of the cannon fire. I love it, simply love it.

hey, you know what to do next.

Top Bottom