• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Il-2 Birds of Prey 360 demo tomorrow

whalesaver

Neo Member
Thanks everyone for the impressions - it seems it was a bad time for me to have sold my 360 (about to emigrate back to the UK from Aus so sort of unavoidable) as I have wanted a realistic flight simulator for a console for a long time.

As I don't have access to the demo, how is the sound? Is it immersive? I may have to bring forward my repurchase of a console.

androvsky said:
I think I'm still a bit confused.

pitch_roll_yaw01.gif

Would the yaw stick correspond to the stick you're talking about, or is there something else going on?

No, I know what yaw control is, but this doesn't seem to be the problem. It's seems like it has more to do with the analog control itself. If I'm coming in on an approach, where heading is crucial, if I try to fine tune by nudging the analog stick a bit, the plane 'bounces around' on that axis. If I don't touch the stick at all I fly straight - so it's not any sort of outside force. If I keep very small amounts of force on the analog stick I can make a smooth changes in heading - but it just seems whenever I let go of the stick it starts to bounce me around. It just comes off as an artificial way to make the flying harder, and I'm not really about to pass off shitty controls as "WWII realism".

And here's another thing: it's too damn easy to stall a plane - especially the Mustang. I'm not saying they need to make the plane be able to turn tighter or faster, but they need to dial back the controls a bit. As it is now, pushing the analog fully in any direction is pretty much an instant stall - so why is it even there? Deaden the control and give us some more warning of an impending stall or something. I lowered the sensitivity about halfway and it didn't help the fact that full analog = instastall.

PoweredBySoy said:
No, I know what yaw control is, but this doesn't seem to be the problem. It's seems like it has more to do with the analog control itself. If I'm coming in on an approach, where heading is crucial, if I try to fine tune by nudging the analog stick a bit, the plane 'bounces around' on that axis. If I don't touch the stick at all I fly straight - so it's not any sort of outside force. If I keep very small amounts of force on the analog stick I can make a smooth changes in heading - but it just seems whenever I let go of the stick it starts to bounce me around. It just comes off as an artificial way to make the flying harder, and I'm not really about to pass off shitty controls as "WWII realism".

And here's another thing: it's too damn easy to stall a plane - especially the Mustang. I'm not saying they need to make the plane be able to turn tighter or faster, but they need to dial back the controls a bit. As it is now, pushing the analog fully in any direction is pretty much an instant stall - so why is it even there? Deaden the control and give us some more warning of an impending stall or something. I lowered the sensitivity about halfway and it didn't help the fact that full analog = instastall.

I know what you mean with bouncing around. I think it can be explained by the fact that movement resulting from the analog stick is programmed the same way as from a joystick. Letting go of you analog stick will translate in a very violent in-game stick input. Something that won't happen with a joystick because it caters for more delicate inputs.

I'm having difficulties with it too because I'm used to the AC way of flying. Afaik small but sudden movements with the stick get translated as fluid and small stick inputs in AC games. It's not a 1:1 translation but it has some buffer smoothing it all out. IL has 1:1 movement without any filtering going on.

Just tried the demo. This is a brilliant attempt at bringing the amazing PC experience to a console. Still, I can't help feeling like this is the uncanny valley of flight sims. It comes so close to being on par with a PC sim experience that I feel repulsed by it.

The game is great fun in arcade and realistic modes. I REALLY struggled with the controls on simulation - I shouldn't be stalling at combat speed when doing simple maneuvers (and I was very gentle on the stick). And something is messed up with the changes in flight speed: I was on a me-109 and over ran him and was right off his wing flying parallel. Then, he literally took off like he had a rocket attached to his plane. We were flying level and I still had WEP engaged. I have other gripes, but they are mostly just comparisons with the PC that I know I'll never get over.

For me, the bottom line is this is really two separate games: The best action flight game I have ever seen on a console and a flight sim that falls short of glory.

PistolPete said:
Just tried the demo. This is a brilliant attempt at bringing the amazing PC experience to a console. Still, I can't help feeling like this is the uncanny valley of flight sims. It comes so close to being on par with a PC sim experience that I feel repulsed by it.

The game is great fun in arcade and realistic modes. I REALLY struggled with the controls on simulation - I shouldn't be stalling at combat speed when doing simple maneuvers (and I was very gentle on the stick).

Were you using a flight stick, or the 360 controller?

Would you use a 360 controller to play a flight sim on a PC?

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Were you using a flight stick, or the 360 controller?

Would you use a 360 controller to play a flight sim on a PC?

I use Eliminator Aftershock game pad most of the time when I play IL-2 on PC. I find that it works great. It's literally a copy of the 360 controller. Maybe that's why I'm struggling so hard with this? Can you adjust the controller sensitivity? Should have checked the options...

I don't want to turn this into a PC vs Console thing. I'm not trying to be a douche.

PistolPete said:
I use Eliminator Aftershock game pad most of the time when I play IL-2 on PC. I find that it works great.

You are a stud.

(I'm not kidding, I have no idea how you do that. I'm pretty lousy with flight sims with a stick and even worse with a gamepad)

I think there is a sensitivity setting.

I haven't found the flightstick sensitive on Realistic mode but the rudder rocker seems a bit hot.

Hari Seldon

Man I downloaded it this morning but didn't have time to fire it up before I had to leave for work. I cannot wait to get home and try this baby out!

Although it will be weird playing without trackIR. I have been playing BF1943 for a few weeks now and I still try and turn my head to track other planes. :lol

Hari Seldon

I'll definitely be getting a console joystick. I'm hoping that my Saitek X-52 can hook up to the PS3 though. :lol

Reading this thread a few things:

- If you try to maneuver at low speeds you *will* stall. This is how it works in a real plane. The slower you are, the more gentle you have to be with the stick. This is why a flight stick is going to help tremendously, because you have "more room to be gentle".

- The P-51 was a very mediocre plane at low altitudes.

- If it is anything like the IL-2 PC game, turbulence is much worse at low altitudes. Also, the PC version had weather effects, so some maps might have worse turbulence than others. Light planes like a Spitfire or Zero are particularly sensitive to this.

- If you are carrying bombs it is going to be hard to dogfight. Ditch the dombs before you dog fight.

Also regarding the PC version:

- This console version is a retooling of the PC game, using the same engine as IL-2 on PC. Oleg Maddox (the original creator of IL-2 PC and flight sim developer God) was not involved in this console version. He is working on the true sequel to the PC version which uses a new engine. This game will be out next year.

Hari Seldon said:
I'll definitely be getting a console joystick. I'm hoping that my Saitek X-52 can hook up to the PS3 though. :lol

I believe any PC controller that follows regular HID standards can be hooked up to the PS3. However, the PS3 will only recognize a certain number of axes and digital inputs (buttons, hats, switches) and which ones it chooses to recognize may not be the ones you want. Also, IL-2 as shipped does not allow any remapping of controls, so if you find that some throttle button is firing your machine guns instead of the trigger, there is no way to fix it. Bottom line is a regular PC HOTAS like X-52 is probably not going to work. The developer is recommending the T-Flight HOTAS for PS3.

Played the demo for a half hour last night with the 360 controller and in arcade.

Ugh. The game does not feel good at all to me. It felt like the plane was just whipping around with ultra sensitivity--not in a real or weighty way, but in a cheap and mass-less way.

But my impressions might be worthless--I couldn't even find the throttle control on the gamepad, looked through the menus, pressed all the buttons. Hmm.

hie

SnakeswithLasers said:
But my impressions might be worthless--I couldn't even find the throttle control on the gamepad, looked through the menus, pressed all the buttons. Hmm.

right stick -> forward.

the game on simulation is very touchy with the 360 controller. i noticed there are 2 different sensitivity sliders in the options menu. maybe tweaking these down a bit might help those not using a flight stick? i'm not home, so i can't be entirely sure what the sliders were...

hie said:
right stick -> forward.

the game on simulation is very touchy with the 360 controller. i noticed there are 2 different sensitivity sliders in the options menu. maybe tweaking these down a bit might help those not using a flight stick? i'm not home, so i can't be entirely sure what the sliders were...

Well, that make sense. I was just using the right stick for rudder, didn't realize up/down were mapped to throttle.

I will say that it is extremely touchy on arcade with the 360 controller--I haven't touched simulation, but if it's like arcade, I think it would be unplayable for me because the small mistakes aren't forgiven. Oh well, I suppose that's why you use a stick for sim.

Hari Seldon said:

Reading this thread a few things:

- If you try to maneuver at low speeds you *will* stall. This is how it works in a real plane. The slower you are, the more gentle you have to be with the stick. This is why a flight stick is going to help tremendously, because you have "more room to be gentle".

- The P-51 was a very mediocre plane at low altitudes.

- If it is anything like the IL-2 PC game, turbulence is much worse at low altitudes. Also, the PC version had weather effects, so some maps might have worse turbulence than others. Light planes like a Spitfire or Zero are particularly sensitive to this.

- If you are carrying bombs it is going to be hard to dogfight. Ditch the dombs before you dog fight.

- This console version is a retooling of the PC game, using the same engine as IL-2 on PC. Oleg Maddox (the original creator of IL-2 PC and flight sim developer God) was not involved in this console version. He is working on the true sequel to the PC version which uses a new engine. This game will be out next year.

Agree 100% with everything you said. However, in simulation it is too sensitive even at combat speeds. You shouldn't feel like you're on the verge of a stall during level flight with plenty of speed. It feels to me that the plane is incapable of aerobatic flight. That's not a Spitfire!!! Certainly not the Spitfire in IL-2! To the games credit, it flies like the PC version, only you're using a joystick that isn't properly calibrated.

The issue is the input sensitivity - it feels like 20% throw on the stick in any direction is controlled flight, with the remaining 80% as over handling and thus a stall->spin->lawndart. That's ridiculous for a console thumbstick. It should be the other way around and is going to turn people off. You should be able to put the stick to near full in any direction and fly the plane right on the verge of instability depending on the maneuver. What's annoying is that they could fix this quite easily.

Regardless, online multiplayer will be epic. You'll really earn your kills in simulation mode.

Llyranor

PistolPete said:
Regardless, online multiplayer will be epic. You'll really earn your kills in simulation mode.
Yep. Also, struggling to stay alive during entire sessions should be pretty rewarding. I already have 2 friends sold for day1ing this, so I'm really excited for it!

Asmodai

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Oh god, I hope not. That would be stupidity.

That wouldn't be remotely balanced for obvious reasons.

Hell, in arcade mode you can accelerate past 500 mph in like 5 seconds. It's like HAWX or something, whereas Simulation is insanely realistic.

Can't wait to see the Ace Combat kids trying to play simulation online, stalling out and spinning into the ground every 5 seconds :lol

Asmodai

Banned
Hmm, playing again on simulation, and while I'm not stalling as much as before, something seems wrong with the airspeed.

I mean, a Spitfire MK II and the P-51 only do about 230 mph with 100% throttle. Their max speeds would be in excess of 350 mph.

And as some said, it definitely seems overly easy to send it into a spin with regards to the sensitivity. The Spitfire and P-51 were known as relatively easy aircraft to fly, not like the Bf 109 or the Fw 190, that you might expect to spin easily at low altitude.

Anyone figured this out?

Shawsie64

Banned
Asmodai said:
Hmm, playing again on simulation, and while I'm not stalling as much as before, something seems wrong with the airspeed.

I mean, a Spitfire MK II and the P-51 only do about 230 mph with 100% throttle. Their max speeds would be in excess of 350 mph.

And as some said, it definitely seems overly easy to send it into a spin with regards to the sensitivity. The Spitfire and P-51 were known as relatively easy aircraft to fly, not like the Bf 109 or the Fw 190, that you might expect to spin easily at low altitude.

Anyone figured this out?

Are you using a flight stick or controller?

Im yet to get the demo =/

Turned both sensitivity sliders down ten clicks (not ten bars, ten clicks on the d-pad...some of them are half of a bar I think). WOW what a difference. Played both missions on Realistic with only a couple of tailspins.

Protip: When going into a spin, take your hand off the "stick" and use ONLY the rudder to stabilize.

Disclaimer: I suck at flight sims.

EDIT: Ace-Edge HOTAS (Ace Combat 6) bundles at Amazon now start at $200 new (up from $105 new a few days ago). It's only going to go up even more from here, this I am sure of. The Saitek stick isn't just non-symmetrical, it also isn't hands off. You will be moving your hands from the stick and/or throttle to access buttons on the base.

Asmodai

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Turned both sensitivity sliders down ten clicks (not ten bars, ten clicks on the d-pad...some of them are half of a bar I think). WOW what a difference. Played both missions on Realistic with only a couple of tailspins.

Protip: When going into a spin, take your hand off the "stick" and use ONLY the rudder to stabilize.

Disclaimer: I suck at flight sims.

EDIT: Ace-Edge HOTAS (Ace Combat 6) bundles at Amazon now start at $200 new (up from $105 new a few days ago). It's only going to go up even more from here, this I am sure of. The Saitek stick isn't just non-symmetrical, it also isn't hands off. You will be moving your hands from the stick and/or throttle to access buttons on the base.

Nobody has the Saitek then?

I'm not dropping 200 bucks American on a flight stick made for an Ace Combat game of all things, however glorious it may be. Especially since I live in Canada so shipping from Amazon, if it is even available, would be hugely expensive and time consuming. The Saitek is available for 50 bucks right here in town, so I'd get that.

The main reason I would get the Saitek would be so that the spin threshold isnt as small as it is with the analog sticks. The analogs are just too small to have enough range between good handling and spins, I think. Non symmetrical isn't a problem for me either, I had an awesome PC flight stick that was non symmetrical. Bad for left handed people though.

The lack of hands on throttle and stick doesn't really bother me because the WWII aircraft didn't have HOTAS anyway, it was made uniform relatively recently. I might get owned by some guy with Ace Edge online, but at least I wouldn't get owned as much as I would just trying to use analogs.:lol

Asmodai said:
Nobody has the Saitek then?

It's out there. Google "Saitek PS41". It's $40 shipped from Amazon 3rd parties or from Buy.com.

I'm not dropping 200 bucks American on a flight stick made for an Ace Combat game of all things, however glorious it may be. Especially since I live in Canada so shipping from Amazon, if it is even available, would be hugely expensive and time consuming.

I couldn't rationalize paying $200 either, though I am a cheap bastard. I got it for $100 from Best Buy this winter (with Ace Combat 6 and faceplate) and I'm cool with that. I remember some people predicting it would go lower, but it didn't happen widely. There are reports of some people getting it on clearance for $70 but most Best Buys seemed to run out at $100. I think IL-2 is going to drive demand through the roof (relative to supply and relative to past games).

Again, if I didn't have an Ace-Edge, I'd go with the PS3 version and a T-Flight PC/PS3 HOTAS for ~$40 shipped. Obviously some people don't have a PS3, though.

The main reason I would get the Saitek would be so that the spin threshold isnt as small as it is with the analog sticks. The analogs are just too small to have enough range between good handling and spins, I think. Non symmetrical isn't a problem for me either, I had an awesome PC flight stick that was non symmetrical. Bad for left handed people though.

I'm a rank amateur, but I wouldn't want to have to play this with a joypad either. Though I'm sure some joypad players will destroy me handily.

The lack of hands on throttle and stick doesn't really bother me because the WWII aircraft didn't have HOTAS anyway

It's mostly about comfort to me.

Asmodai

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
It's out there. Google "Saitek PS41". It's $40 shipped from Amazon 3rd parties or from Buy.com.

Ah excellent, Future Shop (what they call Best Buy in Canada sometimes) has it here for 50 bucks. Much more convenient and cheap than what I was expecting.
I'm a rank amateur, but I wouldn't want to have to play this with a joypad either. Though I'm sure some joypad players will destroy me handily.

It is better than keyboard and mouse for flying, which is pretty much impossible in a sim (I've tried :lol ), at least with the analogs you can learn over time to do it well. But the flight stick would make it so much easier and more intuitive, even if it isnt HOTAs.

Certain button mappings, like having the right stick look around the cockpit AND control the throttle are just annoying. Often when I want to look around I'll need to push in the right stick a few times, and then it might pull the throttle back, etc.

That's why I'm hoping the Saitek has the butons mapped well.

Asmodai said:
Ah excellent, Future Shop (what they call Best Buy in Canada sometimes) has it here for 50 bucks. Much more convenient and cheap than what I was expecting.

Glad that is working out for you. I'd certainly take the Saitek over the pad, and given the price is about that of a new 360 wireless pad I think it's a decent investment. Would love to hear your review once you get it, and I hope to see you online if you don't mind flying with nuggets like me. We'll be getting a GAF squadron together in the online area, guaranteed!

soultron

Banned
Asmodai said:
Did you find it on the FS site? I'm Canadian too and couldn't find it on the site.

Asmodai

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Glad that is working out for you. I'd certainly take the Saitek over the pad, and given the price is about that of a new 360 wireless pad I think it's a decent investment. Would love to hear your review once you get it, and I hope to see you online if you don't mind flying with nuggets like me. We'll be getting a GAF squadron together in the online area, guaranteed!

Hell I'm not great at flying in these games myself, I've been playing various games like Flight Sim and stuff on the PC on and off for years, but it just never felt right, I spent more time fiddling with graphics detail than I did playing the game. :lol

But now that I have one on the consoles that I just boot up any time, hopefully I can learn fast.

soultron said:
Did you find it on the FS site? I'm Canadian too and couldn't find it on the site.

Ah, when I went to check again, I found it was actually this flight stick that I had found:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10081612&catid=#

Which looks almost identical to the Saitek 360 one, but is actually a PC one. I hope they have the 360 version at the Future Shop in town as well, or finding one of these could be more difficult than I thought.

Tycho_b

Asmodai said:
That's why I'm hoping the Saitek has the butons mapped well.

I got it yesterday, it does the job. It is a licensed stick, so button mappings are automatic and same in every flying game (HAWX even shows a nice picture of a joystick when You check the button mappings). B is in place of A and is used for 'secondary' fire (rockets both in HAWX and IL-2). A is a cannon. Nice little thumbstick lets you control the camera.

Design is nice however, it looks like a cheap product, compared to eg. Cyborg Evo (same producer). Plastics used and finish isn't fantastic, decent at most. The stick itself is a bit stiff and you need to apply some force to make turns, which might mean You won't be very accurate especially at the beginning, when it is stiff and You're not used to it. I found pitch control a bit too responsive, didn't play with options to see whether I can change it.

It may not be the best option but regardless, it's 100x better than regular pad. And it's worth the price.

Max

I am not Max
Are there any good 360 flight sticks? Tryna fall in love with this game.

Edit: Nevermind, I need to l2readup

Hari Seldon

Played this last night. These are my impressions as a PC Flight Sim nut:

- Going to be almost impossible to play this on simulation without a flight stick. I do not think that is a bad thing. I will have mucho respect for anyone who can tackle simulation with the gamepad.

- The missions seem very scripted. PC flight sims are not like this. Like you have a guy on the radio telling you what to do, rather than a flight plan you get before the mission starts. This is a nice change of pace for me.

- The cockpit view is very good. I like the look mechanism with holding down the right stick.

- Arcade mode is like super arcade. I hit over 1000 mph in the spitfire! Also, the HE-111s blew in half with only a few bullets touching them.

- Realism mode seems to be the sweet spot if you don't have a flight stick.

- I tried the P-51 mission on Realism. It is impossible to fly the P-51 without reducing the sensitivity by about 10 clicks like someone else said. I think this is because with the sensitivity all the way up, it maps the entire throw of a joystick to the small analog stick. If you, for example, fire up IL-2 PC and jam your joystick quickly up or down, you will spin the plane. They do need to tune this better though.

- The physics seemed pretty good to me on Realism. The plane's speed properly bleeds away if you start turning like crazy. The turbulence is about right, making it hard to get a shot.

The main disadvantage is that the is no tactile feedback. I bet that irl, it would be very difficult getting the p51 in a flat spin with airflow pushing against the ailerons.

Now it's like playing a driving sim without a FF wheel, missing the proper feedback.

It would be nice to at least have some rumble to indicate how far you can go.

After spending some more time with the demo last night, I've learned to forgive the annoyances. This is going to be a brilliant title. Very much looking forward to playing online.

JBuccCP

I don't really like the huge jump between the settings. I can't fly worth a shit on realistic but on arcade you're zipping around at 800 mph. They should have done it like sim racing games do, have the basic model be realistic on any mode with different assists you can turn on and off.

glaurung

Just tried it out and the game is pretty fun.

Obviously I didn't bother doing the campaign missions with arcade difficulty, instead I jumped right in with realistic and simulator and yes - this game has now moved up on my console purchase list.

But should I wait for the PS3 version?

I used the Saitek stick for the 360 and it works really well however, there's no button guide for it so, you pretty much just go by trial and errors to figure out what button does what. The stick as many mention is not very ergonomic and you can get tired after a bit (but I guess that is kinda realistic for WWII planes).

It's too bad that you can't reassign the buttons, it would be good to be able to reassign the zoom and padlock view, currently it's really difficult to zoom, keep your airspeed, and keep proper pitch to do rocket run.

I am happy with it (it work well with Hawk, but not so good with Ace Combat 6). I have not try it with other flight game beside Project Sylpheed (which work pretty well surprisingly).

Llyranor

I guess the only version difference that will matter will be 1) which version you plan to or have easy access to get a flightstick for, and 2) which version your friends will be playing online on.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Hari Seldon said:

awesome. i picked up 1946 and a shitty logitech stick after the last IL2 gaf thread and playing online has been a blast.

Bernbaum

Played the demo.

Instant <3 from me. Much higher production values than what I was expecting. Controls good too.

Shame about the occasional framerate dip. Framerate also seems to hit the skids in cockpit view also- ruling that out as an option for me. Nothing too terrible as everything else appears to be fairly polished.

Will be an early purchase from me.

maxmars

PoweredBySoy said:

That's how a real plane flies. Yep, it takes skill, you are aboard a powerful monster.

PoweredBySoy said:

Again, that's how it is in reality. It's called accelerated stall.

Peeps, it takes skills to fly such a warbird into a battle.

maxmars said:
That's how a real plane flies. Yep, it takes skill, you are aboard a powerful monster.

Again, that's how it is in reality. It's called accelerated stall.

Peeps, it takes skills to fly such a warbird into a battle.

However. It's up to the developer to make the game work with the hardware it is compatible with. This means that you have to take the differences into account between peripherals, such as a controller and a joystick.

Top Bottom