• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not gonna lie, I really loved Dragonball GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to think he rode off and landed in the Ryu'oshin realm.
I'd love a GT sequel.

image.png

I'm so sad this never finished.

GT>Super.

I love that the main criticism of GT was that powerlevels were all over the place, yet we have fanfiction level BS in Super.

My main criticisms of GT were:

-Bad character design.
-Lame humor
-Bad pacing
-Only Goku mattered.

At least Vegeta matters. Future Trunks has proven to be useful.

So the only time I watched GT, I was holed up in my bedroom recovering from a breakup. I was drinking a lot and had marathoned the entire Dragonball series from start to finish.

I thought it was okay

THANK YOU!!!! Finally someone else likes GT!

My biggest problem with Super, and probably the reason why I haven't watched it yet, is because at the end, it's a prequel to the last episode of DBZ. I really don't like prequels (sometimes) so this turns me off.

GT is not amazing but I like elements alot.

Gohan is finally good to me in it, his reaction to his best friends death is the best moment in Dragon Ball.

I adore SSJ4.

The blue gi is a million times better then orange.

I wanted to love Super but the dumb choices with SSG and SSB not to mention the holy shit stupid latest transformation for a character I don't believe deserves it was the last straw and I've dropped it and desire to watch any more of it.

So for me the positive elements of GT make it my preferred follow up to Z.

I agree, Super feels like a super fanfiction at the moment. The execution to GT has bad, but the concepts in general were far superior to Super in my opinion.

I agree, Super feels like a super fanfiction at the moment. The execution to GT has bad, but the concepts in general were far superior to Super in my opinion.

I don't think it's a bad thing. Execution is most of what matters. I agree that Super feels fanfictiony, but I personally don't find GT better just because it has better concepts.

I'm with you man. It's total head canon for me. It's a convincing story.

Me too tbh.

After hearing that intro I can see why.

As far as Canadian dubs go, Blue Water Group were pretty terrible in comparison to the Ocean Group dub's . They also did dubs for the original Dragon Ball as well as Dragon Ball Z (which only made things even more confusing when there was the Finimation and Ocean dub) . Their theme songs were not particularly good either.

olympia

i get how the term "fan fiction" is thrown around to describe shows like super and GT, but i don't really agree with it's pejorative use at all, especially when you have a wide spectrum of quality of dragon ball fan work over the past few decades.

Super 17's death stands as my favourite villain defeat in the entire franchise.

yeah that shit is cool

gt gohan has a blue ryu ken in dokkan battle for his special. i wish they would give that to him in the anime

Sony

Nintendo
My main criticisms of GT were:

-Bad character design.
-Lame humor
-Bad pacing
-Only Goku mattered.

At least Vegeta matters. Future Trunks has proven to be useful.

Pacing? Super is the embodiment of "boy that escalated quickly.jpg". These characters keep popping up out of nowhere and are significantly more powerful than the previous foes. There is no buildup. There is no push me to the edge to become SSJ, no push me to the edge to become SSJ2. Or even SSJ4.

The SSJG transformation at it's core is so stupid and uncharacteristic of saiyans..

olympia

Pacing? Super is the embodiment of "boy that escalated quickly.jpg". These characters keep popping up out of nowhere and are significantly more powerful than the previous foes. There is no buildup. There is no push me to the edge to become SSJ, no push me to the edge to become SSJ2. Or even SSJ4.

The SSJG transformation at it's core is so stupid and uncharacteristic of saiyans..

the pacing in GT is awful after they get back to earth. the end of the baby fight is beyond drawn out, especially for a show that is only 64 episodes long. the end of the omega shenron arc is dragged out as well.

tbh idk how you can be watching the u6 arc and especially the current arc in Super and see how there isn't any build up or "push me to the edge" aspect of it.

and yeah, I love GT but the damn show had some great concepts and totally squandered them. that is it's biggest offense, easily. anybody who says Super isn't as good as GT hasn't watched Super or hasn't watched GT recently. I love GT but Super is objectively better in almost every way. The supporting cast does even less in GT than they do in Super.

the only thing GT has on super is animation quality and dan dan is better than chouzetsu ☆ dynamic

I have a really detailed LTTP laying around about GT but i haven't gotten drunk enough to post it yet.

anyway some of my favorite things about GT are nerdy trunks (a nice change from the too-cool future trunks) and a small glimpse of goten's life. *looks at watch* oh is it time to post this gif again?

LiB8G7N.gif

EVOL 100%

GT does have some pretty well thought out concepts but even as a child I was able tell something was very, very off.

The character designs barring SSJ4 are painfully bad, the colours are weird and really it's pretty obvious that Toriyama had nothing to do with the entire thing

Super may not be very original, but the execution is much better than GT. At least I feel entertained while watching the former

Arc81

Banned
Sorry I reject it the moment toriyama didn't involve in it.

Edit:
It just feels different? Perhaps I just dislike the setting.

Sorry I reject it the moment toriyama didn't involve in it.

Edit:
It just feels different? Perhaps I just dislike the setting.

If I recall, he designed the look of the main cast and came up with the name. I wonder if Trunks' handkerchief in Super is homage to his in GT.

Sheroking

Wonder if GT could still be canon? So far I haven't seen an unretconnable event.

The thing is called Dragon Ball. You know, those things that make literally everything retconnable to some extent?

GT is widely hated by fans. They have no reason to acknowledge it or end Super in a way that retcons so GT still fits. It will disregarded, as it should be. Super dunks on it from a height.

Well the last DBZ episode is still canon so..

Which makes Super so difficult to watch for me. Either it's rewritting the bible, the manga, or none of what's happening right now really matters. Neither sound very good. It's why I think this simultaneous rebuking of GT and praise of Super is at best hypocritical.

Thud

I liked that it tried to go back go the DB roots that was mostly about adventuring. Then it went apeshit (literally). Never finished it, but not everything was bad.

Not a big fan of Z or Super myself, so there's that as well.

Wiseblade

The truth is that neither GT or Super are that good. It just depends on what you want out of your Dragonball fanfiction:

* If you want adventure, deep cuts into DB lore and lots of Goku, then GT is for you.

* If you want original characters, more ties to DBZ and more Vegeta, then watch Super.

But make no mistake, both are glorified fanfiction. Yes, Toriyama has forgotten so much about Dragonball that he's effectively an outsider looking in.

Dr. Buni

I liked it more than Z, but maybe it is because I liked Dragon Ball more than Z. GT is closer to the original than to Z and IMO that is a great thing.

Say what you will of GT but SSJ4 is hands down the coolest form in the entire franchise and shits on all that SSJG nonsense from biblical heights.

I like Super's pacing for the most part.

The way the Baby Saga blended into the Super 17 Saga and then I think within the same episode of Super 17 dying, the new Dragon Saga started. It never sat well with me.

Fj0823

Which is the point, it was a lost art created by a few good-hearted Saiyans trying to defeat their evil brothers. SSG Time Limit worked against them, and they were wiped out from Saiyan history as traitors.

But I guess blutzwave cannon is not stupid or uncharacteristic for Vegeta...

Sony

Nintendo
Which is the point, it was a lost art created by a few good-hearted Saiyans trying to defeat their evil brothers. SSG Time Limit worked against them, and they were wiped out from Saiyan history as traitors.

But I guess blutzwave cannon is not stupid or uncharacteristic for Vegeta...

It's still stupid. Good hearted saiyans? What? Evil brothers? Saiyans are savages. Always have been. The first SSJ supposedly died because he was too powerful and couldn't control it.

And blutzwave cannon is defo not uncharacteristic For Vegeta. Remember his first fight with Goku? He used blutzwaves to transform and get the upper hand.

It's still stupid. Good hearted saiyans? What? Evil brothers? Saiyans are savages. Always have been. The first SSJ supposedly died because he was too powerful and couldn't control it.

And blutzwave cannon is defo not uncharacteristic For Vegeta. Remember his first fight with Goku? He used blutzwaves to transform and get the upper hand.

Exactly. The blutzwave machine was strictly because they had no time. The actual method behind it, though, is 100% based on lore already established.

Ogodei

GT had one of the best gags, where right before they go off into space, Goku gets kidnapped by some crooks who think he's a child of the Briefs family, and he goes along with it because he's too stupid to figure out what they're after. The kidnappers call Capsule Corp with their ransom demands and Vegeta picks up the phone, when they say "We have Goku," he yells "You can keep him!" and hangs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom