• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not gonna lie, I really loved Dragonball GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemWalls

*The concept of the Dragon Balls slowly being corrupted after each wish makes a lot of sense, especially with the "you have to wait a year" to use them again thing going on. In the fantastic world of DB, it actually makes sense. A penalty for abusing the wish-granting Mcguffins. I really love that the final arc of the series is about punishing the heroes for abusing the Dragon Balls. Of course this means the Dragon Balls are back into the spotlight, which is great.

This I especially appreciated. A story development that is way better and makes more sense than anything the previous series have ever done, where the villains just literally came out of nowhere.

Sony

Nintendo
GokuKuririn.GT.Ep.064.png

No one is going to tell me this moment didn't have meaning. It was so sad.

giphy.gif

:'( :'(

That scene at the time also felt so unfair to me. Why does goku get to be a kid again. He already ages slow because of his genes.. seeing goku as a kid next to old krillin hurt man.. that image in general. Fuck.

giphy.gif

That scene at the time also felt so unfair to me. Why does goku get to be a kid again. He already ages slow because of his genes.. seeing goku as a kid next to old krillin hurt man.. that image in general. Fuck.

For real. I think Goku knew it was unfair as well. Unspoken sentiments.

Made me feel worse when I realized 18 probably doesn't age either. Krillin probably doesn't have much time left at point. Outlived by everyone it seems. Kinda fitting for someone who seems to die all the time.

Sony

Nintendo
For real. I think Goku knew it was unfair as well. Unspoken sentiments.

Made me feel worse when I realized 18 probably doesn't age either. Krillin probably doesn't have much time left at point. Outlived by everyone it seems. Kinda fitting for someone who seems to die all the time.

Another thing which gave me feels aswel was one of the final scenes of GT where Vegeta jr. and Goku jr. were fighting at the World Martial Arts Tournament and an old Pan sees Goku in the crowd and he's gone when she looks again.

This series man...

Another thing which gave me feels aswel was one of the final scenes of GT where Vegeta jr. and Goku jr. were fighting at the World Martial Arts Tournament and an old Pan sees Goku in the crowd and he's gone when she looks again.

This series man...

I love the fact they Goku has a statue dedicated to him somewhere between the end of GT and Goku Jr. The world maybe finally knowing who he was and his sacrifice.

latest

I want another special dammit.

Sony

Nintendo
I love the fact they Goku has a statue dedicated to him somewhere between the end of GT and Goku Jr. The world maybe finally knowing who he was and his sacrifice.

latest

I want another special dammit.

I don't know man, the Goku jr. special was kind of depressing to be honest. It really felt like he was all alone in the world. Goku had all these friends and adventures surrounding him, Goku jr. just seemed.. very lonely.

Zalman

GT did three things right:

1) Super Saiyan 4 is epic.
2) The ending is fantastic.
3) Dan Dan is the best Dragon Ball song ever.

Other than that, Super is superior in every way it's not even funny.

Sony

Nintendo
GT did three things right:

1) Super Saiyan 4 is epic.
2) The ending is fantastic.
3) Dan Dan is the best Dragon Ball song ever.

Other than that, Super is superior in every way it's not even funny.

Super's animation quality and plastic look is like that of a newgrounds.com flash game.

vertopci

SSJ4 is the best design for any saiyan form by far and will probably be the best form as I don't think Super is going to be very creative in terms of newer saiyan forms.

I really like the idea of the storylines in DBGT, but I can't say they were executed as well as they could have been.

Also I liked how DBGT felt really Dragonbally at the start and slowly become more and more DBZ like at the end.

Wiseblade

Remember when Dragonball was actually about the Dragon balls? It's the reason why everything after Namek feels so different to me. Emperor Pilaf, the Red Ribbon Army, Demon King Piccolo, Vegeta and Freiza all saught them out for their own reasons. I really appreciate the way GT tried so hard to bring them back into the forefront. Battle of Gods bringing them into the resolution of the plot rather than just a reset button was a nice touch, but I don't think they've appeared since.

I don't know man, the Goku jr. special was kind of depressing to be honest. It really felt like he was all alone in the world. Goku had all these friends and adventures surrounding him, Goku jr. just seemed.. very lonely.

I would like a special that would take place between after the last saga and Goku Jr - which I think was about a 100 years later.

With Goku gone with Shenlong, seeing them handle whatever came after without him. SSJ4 Gohan man!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Remember when Dragonball was actually about the Dragon balls? It's the reason why everything after Namek feels so different to me. Emperor Pilaf, the Red Ribbon Army, Demon King Piccolo, Vegeta and Freiza all saught them out for their own reasons. I really appreciate the way GT tried so hard to bring them back into the forefront. Battle of Gods bringing them into the resolution of the plot rather than just a reset button was a nice touch, but I don't think they've appeared since.

They were used to revive Freeza, I thought that was a nice touch

Ishida

Banned

Yep, exactly. As I mentioned on my other post, I really, REALLY liked that they brought the Dragon Balls (You know, those magical objects the series is named after?) back into the spotlight.

Sure, the Evil Dragons saga was extremely rushed, but I understand why it was so. The concept itself was probably the best in the entire series since the original Dragon Ball, though.

It was also a very nice touch that the Four Star Dragon was actually pretty honorable.

Wiseblade

To be fair Super is still ongoing, if I was judging GT during the super 17 arc I'd have a really low opinion of it. Outdoing the deep dives of the Shadow Dragons is a tall order, but not impossible.

Vic_Viper

Haven't watched Z since it's first run on Toonami when it was on at Midnight. As soon as I heard about GT I went to the video store and got as many of the VHS tapes as I could. I loved GT so much at the time. I thought the art was amazing, really liked the 90s look of GT more so than Z. Kid Goku in GT is still my favorite design of the character's outfit. Wasn't a big fan of SSJ4, but it does fit with the whole ape motif of the Sayians which I like. Really GT as whole just felt like a giant callback to Dragon Ball and had some really good ideas for storylines, even if they werent executed that well.

Haven't seen it since so I don't know how it holds up today but really want to watch it again after checking out Super. I understand the hate it gets but TBH I don't think it deserves as much as I got. Felt more like it was the cool thing to do, as in it's cool to hate COD every year. But that's just my observation.

I really did love Super Saiyan 4. I guess it may still exist in Super although never be seen. I'm also not the biggest fan of the way Super has approached transformations and we have all these forms that really don't have a differentiation between it and Super Saiyan aside from colour.
Case in point, Trunks' transformation was badass but it would be cooler if he actually looked different. I do like Rosé though.

Verelios

I would like a special that would take place between after the last saga and Goku Jr - which I think was about a 100 years later.

With Goku gone with Shenlong, seeing them handle whatever came after without him. SSJ4 Gohan man!
I never quite understood if Goku Jr. etc, were connected or not to DB proper, but I did enjoy the bit rpg game that came out back then. Was that an official release? I'm not sure

olympia

dragon balls have been used in pretty much every arc of super

The shadow dragon thing was a nice concept, but it was also insanely preachy and also totally squandered on boring ass villains and a dumb plot

wow I love gt but it doesn't sound like it at all haha

giphy.gif

Does it actually matter that much in the DB Universe? They showed heaven (and hell) in the movies quite often and it seems at least Goku can go there whenever he wants.

Does it actually matter that much in the DB Universe? They showed heaven (and hell) in the movies quite often and it seems at least Goku can go there whenever he wants.

That's the thing with GT's ending; we don't know if he truly died. IIRC he doesn't even have a halo when he meets Goku Jr.

Ishida

Banned
dragon balls have been used in pretty much every arc of super

The shadow dragon thing was a nice concept, but it was also insanely preachy and also totally squandered on boring ass villains and a dumb plot

wow I love gt but it doesn't sound like it at all haha

Yes, Super uses the Dragon Balls. But only in the same way DBZ used them: Just for the characters to have their wishes granted. Z and Super mostly skip what made the concept of the Dragon Balls so great: The actual gathering of the DB's. The journey, the discovery, the difficulty, the exploration and the meeting of new lands and people.

Z's and Super's usage of the Dragon Balls is lame and lazy in comparison.

olympia

Yes, Super uses the Dragon Balls. But only in the same way DBZ used them: Just for the characters to have their wishes granted. Z and Super mostly skip what made the concept of the Dragon Balls so great: The actual gathering of the DB's. The journey, the discovery, the difficulty, the exploration and the meeting of new lands and people.

Z's and Super's usage of the Dragon Balls is lame and lazy in comparison.

I appreciate you and your love for GT but I can't get with this at all haha

I agree that the "Grand Tour" is a riveting concept but even that is executed...not the best way... in GT. The charming scenery that they visit in GT is completely wasted on plots that are either boring, retreads or too silly even for dragon ball. It's my favorite part of GT and I can still admit this.

The desert planet and the giant planet as seen in toriyama's art, and such are completely wasted. They don't even meet any cool new characters that join them on their journey (with the exception of Gil) just lame villain after lame villain. They suggest Legic will return at some point but he never does.

I think at this point the gathering of the dragon balls is just seen as tedium when you have a series with insanely powerful characters who can fly or teleport, so the universal Grand Tour should have worked in theory, but it doesn't, really.

Granted, I'm totally down with a collect the dragon balls type story, but I don't see the absence of that in super or Z to be a drawback.

Ishida

Banned
I appreciate you and your love for GT but I can't get with this at all haha

I agree that the "Grand Tour" is a riveting concept but even that is executed...not the best way... in GT. The charming scenery that they visit in GT is completely wasted on plots that are either boring, retreads or too silly even for dragon ball. It's my favorite part of GT and I can still admit this.

The desert planet and the giant planet as seen in toriyama's art, and such are completely wasted. They don't even meet any cool new characters that join them on their journey (with the exception of Gil) just lame villain after lame villain. They suggest Legic will return at some point but he never does.

I think at this point the gathering of the dragon balls is just seen as tedium when you have a series with insanely powerful characters who can fly or teleport, so the universal Grand Tour should have worked in theory, but it doesn't, really.

Granted, I'm totally down with a collect the dragon balls type story, but I don't see the absence of that in super or Z to be a drawback.

I do.

I found the search for the Dragon Balls in GT to be a lot better than the poor, almost nonexistent usage they got in Z and Super. It definitely brought back the sense of adventure, discovery and comedy that made the original DB so good.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I do.

I found the search for the Dragon Balls in GT to be a lot better than the poor, almost nonexistent usage they got in Z and Super. It definitely brought back the sense of adventure, discovery and comedy that made the original DB so good.
Dragon Ball Super is all about Dragon Balls. Just... different ones.

I know. However, the new Super Dragon Balls also skip the search, discovery and travel for each one of them, which is what I liked about the original DB and GT.

Originally DB system was fun because it ran into the saying "there is always someone stronger then you", goku endlessly has challenges and grew as it explored there version of earth.
Z got to the point were random enemies would just show up, and now they show up like Goku runs a cheap brothel

Ishida

Banned
Originally DB system was fun because it ran into the saying "there is always someone stronger then you", goku endlessly has challenges and grew as it explored there version of earth.
Z got to the point were random enemies would just show up, and now they show up like Goku runs a cheap brothel

Agreed.

As much as I like DBZ, it is a complete abomination of the original concept for the series.

longdi

Banned
I thought GT character designs are bad and the main turn-off for me to watch the whole series. They looked so try-hard Toriyama wannabe. Yucks @ the evil shenron design. :x

As for power creep, i noticed Super kept a tighter lid on things. Goku and Vegeta remains the strongest ningens around, the villains they have fought in Super, either came from another universe or via body snatching each other. So i guess there is some consistency after the Buu saga. Of course Frieza was a main bad that did not trained hard enough, i accept the explanation and will let it pass.

Ishida

Banned
I thought GT character designs are bad and the main turn-off for me to watch the whole series. They looked so try-hard Toriyama wannabe. Yucks @ the evil shenron design. :x

As for power creep, i noticed Super kept a tighter lid on things. Goku and Vegeta remains the strongest ningens around, the villains they have fought in Super, either came from another universe or via body snatching each other. So i guess there is some consistency after the Buu saga.

I disagree. I think Super went even wilder and more inconsistent, especially when it comes to Future Trunks' massive rage upgrade. What the fuck was that?

When I was a kid in middle school, during z's run, there were rumors about the sort of spoilers that were awaiting us in gt. All sorts of bad ass shit. It sounded hype as fuck.

The result was not hype as fuck. It was not even hype. So many missed opportunities there. IT'S a very odd shoe, and Nakatsuru can't draw girl toriyama's eyes worth shit. Dead give away you're getting me handmedown.

Still, there were great ideas there. And Dan Dan kokoro is a great op

I disagree. I think Super went even wilder and more inconsistent, especially when it comes to Future Trunks' massive rage upgrade. What the fuck was that?

Its pretty similar to what happened with Gohan multiple times in Z. Who knows if they'll actually explain it though.

Ishida

Banned
Its pretty similar to what happened with Gohan multiple times in Z. Who knows if they'll actually explain it though.

Perhaps, but personally I'm pretty tired of the "massive boost by rage" stuff that started in DBZ. It makes for some intense scenes, sure, but I highly prefer for the characters to reach new levels through sheer training.

One of the concepts I dislike the most from Dragon Ball Z was the introduction of the bullshit "Zenkai Boost". Saiyans already had a very unfair advantage over the rest of the characters, and then they present this lame ass concept of "they get stronger the more they get beaten near death". To me, it is a very lazy way to constantly keep overpowering the characters without showing any kind of training/progress.

NandoGip

The number one thing about GT that DB/Z/Super/The movies don't even touch are the set pieces. Best backgrounds and settings of the entire series.

The GT designs posted above are 90s as fuck and I love them.

However I didn't like how Vegeta, Gohan and Goten often looked way too similar.

(reposting)
ViRqZPPl.jpg

Snaku

Banned
One of the concepts I dislike the most from Dragon Ball Z was the introduction of the bullshit "Zenkai Boost". Saiyans already had a very unfair advantage over the rest of the characters, and then they present this lame ass concept of "they get stronger the more they get beaten near death". To me, it is a very lazy way to constantly keep overpowering the characters without showing any kind of training/progress.

I'm mostly okay with the Zenkai power ups specifically because the effects of Zenkai seemed to plateau by the end of the Freeza arc, and Super Saiyan transformations made them irrelevant. It was an interesting way to up the ante pre-SSJ, and I like how Vegeta used them strategically.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I loved Trunks and his "milquetoast nerd" (as someone else so eloquently put it) personality but Goten was kind of dumb in GT. I didn't like his hair, clothes, role in the story, or personality really

Maybe if he did something I'd like him more. He's one of my favorite Z/Super characters

Zombine

Banned
I think the reason why I hold the show so dearly is because it was sort of this...myth or boogieman when I was in middle school. People talked about it but had very little to show of it, and would mention things like "Baby" and gold oozaru forms and Goku wearing blue, but again, there was no localization and we didn't have YouTube to search for Dragon Ball GT subs. We had to rely on shitty websites and magazines for any sort of semblance of information.

So by the time the Funimation VHS tapes started making the rounds and released, I did not give two shits about quality or whatever, I was just thrilled to be watching it. Quite frankly though, I enjoyed it quite a bit and loved all of the characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom