• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not gonna lie, I really loved Dragonball GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
There's no official canon

But make no mistake, both are glorified fanfiction. Yes, Toriyama has forgotten so much about Dragonball that he's effectively an outsider looking in.

That's not the case at all anymore. Before Battle of Gods he re-read his own manga.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yes there is. The manga and super are the only official canon
This is slightly less true now that some filler elements from Z have made their way into Super

Boney

Banned
It's weird since it starts trying to emulate the adventure feel of regular Dragon Ball in the Baby Saga but later becomes DBZ. Everyone is worthless and the bad guys are pretty much whatever. Everyone being grandpas instead of having children at the fore front also feels weird.

Thud

It's weird since it starts trying to emulate the adventure feel of regular Dragon Ball in the Baby Saga but later becomes DBZ. Everyone is worthless and the bad guys are pretty much whatever. Everyone being grandpas instead of having children at the fore front also feels weird.

It give us this:

tumblr_lh9den80Uy1qf8kb8o1_400.gif

The one thing I really like about GT was a refocus on who the saiyans are. I loved how they made the gorilla form and tails relevant again.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
GOAT DB OP

Yes there is. The manga and super are the only official canon

Which Super; the manga or the anime? Because they have irreconcilable differences. Also the anime has stuff from Z filler. Also what 'official' source names only those two canon? [citation needed]

Everything's only as canon as you want it to be.

Wiseblade

I think the only thing that can be universally considered canonical is the Dragonball manga. Those 42 volumes are gospel and anything else is a case of wether you're willing to ignore any contradictions.

"Canon" is a fan concept. I dare you to find any statement by Toriyama or Toei where they even SAY the word "canon". They never do.

I always find it funny how Funimation's openings for DBZ and DBGT respectively were a reflection of the hip music at the time.

DBZ was some Nu-metal shit and GT was rap. If Funimation were still doing original openings, I guess Super would be EDM.

Pizza

No, there is no official canon. There are things canon to the manga, canon to the anime and so forth. But there is no "official canon" to DB. All that is purely fan stuff.

One thing I've come to really love about dragon ball is that you can sort of invent your own canon with how everything almost fits together with the movies+shows+ filler if you fanfics some details here and there

I also really like the idea of having multiple timelines being canon as super is a whole new dbz sequel. I feel more partial to gt based on my limited knowledge of it and super. I've really enjoyed the movies, so I feel like other writing teams can do well with the franchise.

Super seems like it has a way more dumb story, but it could actually be great if it's excecuted well (I'm waiting on the dub to release)

Yeoman

I think I'm with you OP I liked GT and Super Saiyan 4 is awesome! Coolest transformation across the whole of DragonBall.
I haven't really watched any of Super so I can't really give an opinion on it.

LaNaranja

I disliked GT for putting all the focus on Goku. Everyone else is there to be a punching bag and nothing more. Uub, who they had build up as the next savior of earth, ends up being the biggest scrub of all with the same win rate as Yamcha. His biggest moment was giving a gorilla indigestion.

That last season could have taken a page from One Piece and had the Z fighters spread out into smaller groups and had each small group take on a different dragon. That way they all could have had a moment before coming together at the end to watch Goku save the day again.

It wasn't even good as fan service. They never gave us older Gotenks. Or SSJ Pan despite her being older than Trunks and Goten when they first transformed. Fucking dicks.

NandoGip

I don't care about canon, it's all one story for me personally even if things don't fit. I'm just saying that it's always been said that the only canon stuff is what Akira Toriyama personally wrote himself. I could be wrong, and I probably am, but that's what I've always read from other people

Onemic

I thought it was cool and went back to the adventure based story of Dragonball. Definitely isnt the abomination that everyone says it is, especially considering that DBZ isnt that good to begin with.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
GT has its moments. I agree it gets a lot of unnecessary hate, but at the same time it also had a lot of interesting ideas that just weren't executed very well.

GT does well in feeling like a decent progression from the end of Z, however, with regards to where some of the characters ended up. The issue there though, much like DB Super, is so many of them are underused.

tearsofash

The only reason I enjoyed any of it was because I knew it was glorified fanfiction not made from Akira Toriyama and didn't take much of it seriously. The OP song though was pretty great. I also really enjoyed the DB special they made in the future.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I think the whole kid Goku thing was a trying to catch lighting in a bottle again. I found that very lame as we already had Dragon Ball.

It really felt like an unnecessary regression given they had Goten etc they could've explored instead.

But hey, at least we got... Uh.. Pan and her sassy robot following Goku around.

Ishida

Banned
My man! There are dozens of us.

DOZENS.

Pretty much everyone in GAF knows about my love for GT, so I'll shamelessly quote myself from the Super thread.

Sorry for the late response! But I can indeed tell you why I love GT.

*The opening and ending themes. Easily the best in the series. I grew up with the Latin American dub, which is very faithful to the original japanese lyrics. And they are AWESOME and very nostalgic.

*The drawing quality.

*The designs. Biker Vegeta, Pan, Trunks and even the simplistic design of Goten.

*Pilaf and his gang still being villanous. Also the fact that they, the first "main villains" of the Dragon Ball series, are also the ones who unwillingly kickstart Goku's final adventure.

*The TIME SKIP!! One of the main things I love. Time has actually passed. Characters have grown, and they have changed. Pilaf being presented as an old, decrepit villain still desperately clinging to world domination is the first clue to show how much time has passed since Goku was a kid.

*Uub actually makes an appearance thanks to the time skip. Sure, he's underused, but at least he's acknowledged.

*The music. Simply great. Not a lot of variety, and a lot of tracks are different versions of Dan Dan, but they are extremely memorable.

*Goku being a kid again. One of my favorite points. Kid Goku >>> Adult Goku any day of the week. I love this. You can easily tell just how much fun Goku is having with being a kid again. The episode with him spending a whole day with a pair of kidnappers and causing all kinds of trouble for them is just amazing.

*Pan. I gotta admit that I despised her back when I was a kid. But I grew fond of her. Sure, she's rebellious, annoying and causes trouble. But she's a teenager, and she inherited her attitude from her mother. She's mostly a mini-Videl, actually.

*Goten. I love what they did to Goku's descendants overall. Not a single one of them ended up becoming like him, and I appreciate that. Gohan is the scholar, Goten's personality adapted to the city life (And his friendship with city boy Trunks) and became a guy who is in love and wants to impress his girlfriend.

*Android 18 still being serious and a little rude to Krillin. I'm not really fond of the more gentle, smiling Android 18 from Super. Also, I loved seeing her getting furious and then crying at Krillin's death. I don't know, I found their relationship more "believable" in GT than in Super.

*The sense of adventure, discovery and wonder of the Space/Baby saga. Sure, the second part of the series turns into a series of quick, disposable villains, like a mega condensed tribute to DBZ, but the first part was just amazing. It reminded me of the original DB. Going to new regions, meeting new people, discovering their problems and trying to fix them. That was one of the things that made me fall in love with Dragon Ball in the first place. Trunks getting dressed as a bride, the gang trying to get the Dragon Ball out of a giant's tooth, going into a super expensive planet and being charged for everything....

*Vegeta's family interactions. For some reason, I don't like the "don't touch my Bulma" Vegeta that we got in Super. I actually like the more simple family Vegeta from GT. One that clearly loves his family, but has no issue throwing his daughter 20 feet into the air to "get her to safety". A Vegeta that takes his daughter shopping and then wrecks a couple of guys who hit on her (But with no drama involved!).

*While I do agree that Super 17's saga is kind of lame and rushed, I appreciate some bits of fanservice with old villains (Including Red Ribbon people) escaping from hell and being taken down by the heroes.

*The concept of the Dragon Balls slowly being corrupted after each wish makes a lot of sense, especially with the "you have to wait a year" to use them again thing going on. In the fantastic world of DB, it actually makes sense. A penalty for abusing the wish-granting Mcguffins. I really love that the final arc of the series is about punishing the heroes for abusing the Dragon Balls. Of course this means the Dragon Balls are back into the spotlight, which is great.

*Vegeta's speech about being furious at people wanting to destroy Earth over and over, and being fucking tired of it. Sure, it might not be as impacting as his sacrifice against Buu in DBZ, but it's also a fantastic scene which I consider a followup to his change of heart.

*Super Saiyan 4. Overdesigned? Maybe, but I love how badass it looks. I love how the transformation is achieved, making it more of a side-step rather than a continuation of the golden Super Saiyan line. I'll take monkey Goku over the "Original character do not steal" transformations we are getting in Super.

*The final episode. Man... I love me some closure in my favorite series. I like to think there's an eventual ending. And to me, Dragon Ball GT delivered. At least to my tastes. That final episode is one of my favorite TV moments ever. Very few scenes can surpass the one with kid Goku and old Krillin sparring one last time at Kame House while Roshi watches. I don't care if GT is "not officially canon". To me, this is the end to Dragon Ball. I don't know if Super will be able to pull such an emotional ending, but from what I've seen of it, I highly doubt it.

I'm sure I'm missing some more things, but I've already typed that wall of text.

I understand why people don't like and even hate GT, but those are my personal reasons on why I love it, and why it is part of my headcanon, and why to me, it is the real ending to Dragon Ball. :)

tumblr_mjlzjrmeD81r72ht7o1_500.gif

Reset

Yeah, the show starts of slow and doesn't pick up until the Baby arc starts. Oh and people hate on SS4, but I think it's better than the transformations that we recently got. :|

DOZENS.

Pretty much everyone in GAF knows about my love for GT, so I'll shamelessly quote myself from the Super thread.

Awesome post dude. I agree with everything you said. Haha.

I would really love another special. They've been tossing the SSJ4 Gohan idea around in the games and it would be sick to see the Vegeta and Gohan dynamic. I think it would be received better than they think.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Awesome post dude. I agree with everything you said. Haha.

I would really love another special. They've been tossing the SSJ4 Gohan idea around in the games and it would be sick to see the Vegeta and Gohan dynamic. I think it would be received better than they think.

SSJ4 Gohan and Broly are in the games now, yeah. I really like the Gohan design, actually.
Was hoping they would have revealed it for Goten for the DB Heroes anniversary event but sadly no.

SSJ4 Gohan and Broly are in the games now, yeah. I really like the Gohan design, actually.
Was hoping they would have revealed it for Goten for the DB Heroes anniversary event but sadly no.

If we got SSJ4 Broly and Gohan as DLC in Xenoverse 2, I would be so happy.

I hope so. They were both added as assist characters in Extreme Butoden.

It's a shame not more people have played that game. I would prefer a 2D game over 3D any day. I always use my team Bardock w/ Goku/Broly/Gohan/Vegeta all SSJ4..

NERD ALERT

Wonder if AT is planning on explaining GT as being an alternate timeline caused by Black or Trunks, or if it just takes place after Super or even if there will be some sort of reset where they never meet Beerus.

Voror

I'm on the side that thinks the series has a lot of cool concepts but that it never executes any of them as well as it could have, which is a shame really.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wonder if AT is planning on explaining GT as being an alternate timeline caused by Black or Trunks, or if it just takes place after Super or even if there will be some sort of reset where they never meet Beerus.

Xenoverse already calls it a different "history" or something like that.

Sony

Nintendo

DOZENS.

Was reading through your post and the part about Krillin and Gohad sparring gave me insta feels man... insta feels. It all comes full circle. Great post man.

qcf x2

I enjoyed GT as well, for what it's worth. It was very dark, full of action after the initial stuff and I enjoyed the ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom