• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum |OT| Battlemage, The Fist Person Shooter

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've finished the demo and it was great !
I have the game on ps5 since release but only launched it up for 15 minutes to check it out and put in que since there was ac6 and stuff coming out. Then they started patching it so I waited.

just for the kick of it, I played the demo on pc. runs about 40-70fps dlss performance (4k output) and ultra everything. Looks great. Performance feels a bit wonky. It's stuttery and doesn't feel as smooth as fps would suggest. but it played fine.
Shooting is hexen, doom eternal and it's good. Kinda feels like a classic xbox 360 gen game in a good way. The combat is not as free flowing like forspoken or hogwarts (magic game comparison). It's more like doom.
Graphics seem VERY busy at time. I can see it getting tiring on the eyes. Anyone checked out ps5 version after patches? is performance better now?
I kinda don't want to buy it again on pc and then deal with stuttering.

2bVgtPA.jpg

3lkgRUM.jpg

ShzOuCW.jpg

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I've finished the demo and it was great !
I have the game on ps5 since release but only launched it up for 15 minutes to check it out and put in que since there was ac6 and stuff coming out. Then they started patching it so I waited.

just for the kick of it, I played the demo on pc. runs about 40-70fps dlss performance (4k output) and ultra everything. Looks great. Performance feels a bit wonky. It's stuttery and doesn't feel as smooth as fps would suggest. but it played fine.
Shooting is hexen, doom eternal and it's good. Kinda feels like a classic xbox 360 gen game in a good way. The combat is not as free flowing like forspoken or hogwarts (magic game comparison). It's more like doom.
Graphics seem VERY busy at time. I can see it getting tiring on the eyes. Anyone checked out ps5 version after patches? is performance better now?
I kinda don't want to buy it again on pc and then deal with stuttering.

2bVgtPA.jpg

3lkgRUM.jpg

ShzOuCW.jpg

Im on PS5 and it runs better than it did but it still isnt butter smooth 100% of the time. Its MUCH better though. And the visuals have been tightened up a bit.

You're right about it feeling like something that wouldve felt right at home during the 7th gen.

And things get hectic kinda quick. It's alot like newer Doom in that you're managing powers/slkills near constantly and have to be on the ball 99% of the time. Lots of combat multitasking but its fun and can get tricky. Certain enemies can wreck you quick. Also one of the first games Ive played on the highest difficulty in a long time. Very satisfying.

jtYX5OD.jpg

Last edited:

wipeout364

I considered buying this a few times; now that people have had time to digest it, is it worth getting and putting time into if I get it at a decent discount?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I tried and refunded this on steam. I couldn’t find a setting on my 3080 to make the game look good and run well.

Even when I pushed it to the max at low fps the starting area didn’t scream “next gen” or “wow” factor.

If this goes on deep discount on ps5 I’ll just run through it on that and ignore the visual fidelity aspect and just enjoy the haptic addition for gameplay.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I considered buying this a few times; now that people have had time to digest it, is it worth getting and putting time into if I get it at a decent discount?

I mean I know nothing about your taste, but I think it is absolutely worth getting especially if its on sale

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I tried and refunded this on steam. I couldn’t find a setting on my 3080 to make the game look good and run well.

Even when I pushed it to the max at low fps the starting area didn’t scream “next gen” or “wow” factor.

If this goes on deep discount on ps5 I’ll just run through it on that and ignore the visual fidelity aspect and just enjoy the haptic addition for gameplay.
Strange. I played it on 3080 too and it didn't run too badly. Just go to performance mode with dlss.
I think it will stutter no matter what. Unreal engine

yamaci17

Strange. I played it on 3080 too and it didn't run too badly. Just go to performance mode with dlss.
I think it will stutter no matter what. Unreal engine
them ue games truly brutal. I've even send this video to their developers that responded to one of my comments about the game. naturally they ghosted

i dont understand what is really going on. I played gta 4 with a pentium 1.5 ghz dual core back in 2019. it didnt stutter this badly.

of course this happens in select places, not everywhere. but it is jarring regardless. I'm sure ps5 xbox also gets wrecked in this specific location. it is just open world-ish. not even complete open world. to me it feels like unrael engine actually cannot handle being open world, especially on PC

but one thing I'm sure of of: it is a VRAM problem

the game uses a total of 7.8 gb (and only allocates 5.8 gb like other ue games) at 720p dlss ultra perf (237p) with low potato textures

this means that this game at native 1080p with regular textures would likely require more than 10 gb

but since ue games will always limit themselves to the %80 of your vram budget, you will fall into the false sense of security that your vram is not being maxed out. but it actually is. FROM ENGINE'S PERSPECTIVE.

8 gb vram is not even enough for potato textures + 237p internal resolution being upscaled to 720p, constant asset swaps and enormous stutters as a result. it is just what it is.

it is 16 gb minimum or bust going forward for me. if this game cannot work smoothly on 8-10 gb with potato textures at 720p output 237p internal resolution, it wont run smoothly at reasonable settings on 12 gb as well.

it is just hilarious though. pc platform clearly cannot handle relying on texture streaming right now. I don't know if it will ever improve. nvidia's push for 8-12 gb makes you think sooner or later texture streaming will work properly but it ends up not being the case. then you have robocop that instead of streaming textures, just decides to unload them

this is clown stuff. ue and nvidia seems like at dispute.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
There is a ps5 demo? I might check it out. I heard its 50% off too from tomorrow

Not 100% on a PS5 demo, but this could definitely be in your wheelhouse since you like some out of the ordinary stuff. I say give it a shot if its really 50% off.

Edit: Luipadre Luipadre there is a PS5 demo. The first three chapters and it saves your progress to carry over to the full game

Last edited:

Luipadre

Not 100% on a PS5 demo, but this could definitely be in your wheelhouse since you like some out of the ordinary stuff. I say give it a shot if its really 50% off.

Edit: Luipadre Luipadre there is a PS5 demo. The first three chapters and it saves your progress to carry over to the full game
Nice, i'll give it a try tomorrow

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Any updates on the developer saying they'll bring FSR3 to the console versions?

Oh damn, there's a 3 chapter demo that carries progress? Pretty generous of them. I heard this is a very short game as it is.

The way the game didn't exactly do much tells me this should be coming to EA Play / Game Pass in a month or two anyway.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Any updates on the developer saying they'll bring FSR3 to the console versions?

Oh damn, there's a 3 chapter demo that carries progress? Pretty generous of them. I heard this is a very short game as it is.

The way the game didn't exactly do much tells me this should be coming to EA Play / Game Pass in a month or two anyway.
It’s a nice hot intro chunk concluding with a decent boss fight. The demo shows you the ropes nicely 👌🏼 and then cuts off as soon as everything opens up and becomes Metroid

Edit: And it isn’t short

Last edited:

Zuzu

Played the demo until I unlocked the first achievement. It comes off as very low rent.

I agree. I played into chapter 3 a little bit and it was very mediocre. Art style and world design, characters, dialogue, controller feel - all were very low quality. A shame because I would like to have another 3D metroid style game to enjoy.

Roberts

Hmm, so I downloaded the trial version for XSX. I thought it was meant to be a 60fps game but I feels more like 30. The good news is that it doesn't look as blurry as imagined it to be considering the resolution it runs on.

Whitecrow

Banned
Motion resolution in the demo at least, is the worst I've ever seen. The moment you move the camera, the lack of motion blur makes everything a fkn mess...
And performance even at 1440p, on a 7900XTX is not great. Sad...

Luipadre

Played the PS5 version for an hour. Image quality looks surprisingly good outside of combat, expected worst, but as soon as the combat starts the visuals goes to shit. Its FSR artifact hell, looks like im playing this over cloud gaming with shit wifi and the framerate even outside of combat is almost never 60. It jittery, stuttery and just feels bad to play. A locked 30 would be better for this than this stuttery mess. FOV is pretty narrow too. Id probably play this with wider FOV and locked 60, but the fps is so all over the place its just feels bad to play

Last edited:
I suspect people play the demo looking for a reason to not play this game. I mean, if you haven’t played it by now, would you ever?When you actually sit down and plan to just play, the game is enjoyable.

Zathalus

They should have used TSR instead of FSR and allowed 30/40 modes. 40fps with TSR would have been smooth enough and will look far better on consoles.

proandrad

What's the point in having all these cool graphical effects when it tanks the image quality. Every UE5 game this gen has been a grainy mess, makes the game look worse than some last gen games. Ray Tracing was a mistake this gen.

Ogbert

Game is ok.

Too many cutscenes though. Just let me shoot stuff. Can’t be arsed with some shitty story.

Portugeezer

Tried this on PS Plus, is the audio supposed to be dogshit whenever a character is off screen?

The worst audio I've encountered in a while.

Top Bottom