• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum |OT| Battlemage, The Fist Person Shooter

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I couldn’t put it down yesterday!

Played from Chapters 1-8 in a day. Really enjoyed my time with it.

2EoUGem.jpg
XisK2YY.jpg
SHw9QE7.jpg
dTS9TiG.jpg
K3DWkcR.jpg
hJYljBb.jpg
This ps5 shots?
looks good

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah PS5!

Enjoy some more!

nwnCg8k.jpg
xtP8LG1.jpg
dJiPgWR.jpg
YG5r5Nf.jpg
Looks great! Shame about no HDR but it is what it is.
I was lead to believe this is an fsr2 hell but good to see it can look good in stills.
Is fps anywhere near 60 ? The pc version is not doing too well.
I think I will get it next week. Honestly, I am kinda stuck in AC6... I almost wish I had this for the weekend since the retailers nearby don't sell physical ps5 games and orders don't come over the weekend.
Well. I got enough of a backlog. Some delay is ok. Maybe price will get lower :p

Looks great! Shame about no HDR but it is what it is.
I was lead to believe this is an fsr2 hell but good to see it can look good in stills.
Is fps anywhere near 60 ? The pc version is not doing too well.
I think I will get it next week. Honestly, I am kinda stuck in AC6... I almost wish I had this for the weekend since the retailers nearby don't sell physical ps5 games and orders don't come over the weekend.
Well. I got enough of a backlog. Some delay is ok. Maybe price will get lower :p

I beat it last night! With exploring and doing extra side stuff it took me 26 hours. Probably a bit below that as I am sure the clock is too high and I left it running without pausing sometimes.

Definitely worth it and I had a fantastic time with it. FPS fans should definitely play it.

It definitely dips below 60 on PS5. Probably to the mid 40s it feels like. But not often.

ZkhDkPy.jpg
fkQBYF8.jpg
frqmPmB.jpg
MtRSIUe.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I beat it last night! With exploring and doing extra side stuff it took me 26 hours. Probably a bit below that as I am sure the clock is too high and I left it running without pausing sometimes.

Definitely worth it and I had a fantastic time with it. FPS fans should definitely play it.

It definitely dips below 60 on PS5. Probably to the mid 40s it feels like. But not often.

ZkhDkPy.jpg
fkQBYF8.jpg
frqmPmB.jpg
MtRSIUe.jpg
Thank you for the update!
Really seems like something up my alley. I will get it this upcoming week probably!
26hours… and reviewers were whining about 10 hour campaign haha

Drizzlehell

Banned

ZkhDkPy.jpg
fkQBYF8.jpg
frqmPmB.jpg
MtRSIUe.jpg
Nice, congrats!

I also enjoyed it a lot. The only thing that dragged it down a little was the story. More specifically its pacing, because it felt like they just packed two or three game's worth of story into that campaign and they kinda had to rush through most of it. It feels like certain important, emotional beats haven't been given enough room to breathe because of it. Although I did appreciate that after the very obvious revelation about two-thirds into the story, the game just kept going and instead of filling in all the typical cliches that a lesser game would probably fall back on and wrapped up the story much quicker, Immortals went places that I didn't expect it to and I honestly had no idea how things are going to turn out during the final acts.

It's also a really long-ass game for an FPS, so I had my fill of it for now. But I will definitely come back to replay it some day.

Last edited:
Nice, congrats!

I also enjoyed it a lot. The only thing that dragged it down a little was the story. More specifically its pacing, because it felt like they just packed two or three game's worth of story into that campaign and they kinda had to rush through most of it. It feels like certain important, emotional beats haven't been given enough room to breathe because of it. Although I did appreciate that after the very obvious revelation about two-thirds into the story, the game just kept going and instead of filling in all the typical cliches that a lesser game would probably fall back on and wrapped up the story much quicker, Immortals went places that I didn't expect it to and I honestly had no idea how things are going to turn out during the final acts.

It's also a really long-ass game for an FPS, so I had my fill of it for now. But I will definitely come back to replay it some day.

I felt the same at times but then was happy it went all in instead of dragging out fun story beats.

Let’s not make this a Disney+ show where nothing happens.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Apparently, I saw some post on reddit that ps5 day0 disc version without a patch, has HDR support? Can anyone confirm?
I've still not pulled the trigger on this game.

Also, I found this. Apparently there are so little people streaming and playing the game that Developer streamed it on twitch.
This is honestly a bit sad?
She says they are happy with reception aside from mixed on steam. I've not watched the stream obviously but I found that glimpse in the beginning.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Also, I found this. Apparently there are so little people streaming and playing the game that Developer streamed it on twitch.
That's business. Why stream a game that doesn't get views when EA will be paying stupid money to other streamers to play it. No payola no playola.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Apparently, I saw some post on reddit that ps5 day0 disc version without a patch, has HDR support? Can anyone confirm?
I've still not pulled the trigger on this game.

She says they are happy with reception aside from mixed on steam. I've not watched the stream obviously but I found that glimpse in the beginning.

It'll get a gigantic Gamepass bump in 8-10 months. It is still a sad outcome. Very difficult time to release a game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It'll get a gigantic Gamepass bump in 8-10 months. It is still a sad outcome.

Then how about you give some new devs some of your hard earned cash and support them instead of being a cheapskate beatskate

Glad to hear about the length. Im only up to Chapter 5 and 13 hours in (Too much time wandering around taking pics).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Then how about you give some new devs some of your hard earned cash and support them instead of being a cheapskate beatskate

Glad to hear about the length. Im only up to Chapter 5 and 13 hours in (Too much time wandering around taking pics).
I do that more than most. This game definitely didn't do enough to sell me on it for $70. Got Shadow Gambit, Wanted: Dead, Bayonetta: Origins, getting Robocop, Alan Wake 2. The list goes on lol.

But yeah, EA Play is part of GP. I pay for the sub, so they are getting some money from me. It's illogical to pay for the game twice (and full price). If EA doesn't want to have a sub service that's up to them.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It requires EA app.
I would rather play at 512x384 and 20fps rather than install that or epic....
The EA app automatically runs in the background only when the game launches. You don't need to install the full version or even bother with an EA account. The end user won't even notice it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The EA app automatically runs in the background only when the game launches. You don't need to install the full version or even bother with an EA account. The end user won't even notice it.
I probably still need to create account.
No. just not.
I can pay less, have the game physically and play it without any problems.
I have only 3700x and 3080, so I dont even want to bother.
The app doesnt need to be there. fuck ea

Last edited:

Zathalus

I probably still need to create account.
No. just not.
I can pay less, have the game physically and play it without any problems.
I have only 3700x and 3080, so I dont even want to bother
I think you link your Steam and EA account once and then never bother with it again, for any EA game on Steam. Can't really recall, I haven't bothered with the EA thing in years. I just downloaded Immortals of Aveum on Steam and ran it. No issues or other logins were requested.

The 3080 can do DLSS to 4k from 1080p so will look substantially better. But hey, feel free to do as you wish.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think you link your Steam and EA account once and then never bother with it again, for any EA game on Steam. Can't really recall, I haven't bothered with the EA thing in years. I just downloaded Immortals of Aveum on Steam and ran it. No issues or other logins were requested.

The 3080 can do DLSS to 4k from 1080p so will look substantially better. But hey, feel free to do as you wish.
I realize that and it's not unacceptable...
but I am against this stuff on steam. If You release on steam, release on steam. If the online components require this? sure. But for single player? no. I am not supporting this stuff.... for now at least

Zathalus

Finished the game and I rather enjoyed it. 8/10 title for me personally.

Pity the game has been sent out to die, between BG3, AC6, and Starfield nobody seems to give a fuck about it. Didn't help that the marketing has been terrible.

WX3

Finished tonight, came in at 24 hours and some change. Had a great time throughout. I may not touch it again for a bit based on what is also out and on the horizon in gaming. Regardless I do plan to take another stab at it, making sure to do more exploration. Most likely I will keep it installed for a while, and jump in now and then to pick up some missed chests. For me it is a solid 8 of 10 game, and perfect to play before many of us sink the next five hundred hours of gaming into Starfield.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
btw, dev is streaming the game daily on yt.
It's a very chill stream with community manager and she is very likeable!

Also, this is kinda depressing. There are between 8-10 people watching... oooof.
The game looks pretty good. Kinda like Doom 2016/eternal but new IP, magic and some metroidvania.
I will get to my ps5 copy over the weekend... so I am not really watchin too much because spoilers.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Question for those who’ve played a lot of this:

I started the game recently and I’m still not sure how I should handle the upgrade bench and crafting. Should I crazy and upgrade all available weapons? Should I only craft ones that are obviously better? Not sure how many resources I’m going to have by the end of my playthrough.

Also any tips on what’s best to focus on? Damage, fire rate, ammo?

TonyK

Maybe sounds weird but I wish this game had a 30fps quality mode with better IQ. The blurriness I saw in the Digital Foundry video is what is preventing me to buy the game 😓

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Maybe sounds weird but I wish this game had a 30fps quality mode with better IQ. The blurriness I saw in the Digital Foundry video is what is preventing me to buy the game 😓
There is a patch coming on monday for console versions which is supposed to ether raise internal resolution or somehow improve image quality.
The dev also promises another upscaling patch later this month.

I agree, 30fps mode or 40fps mode would be good. but only 30fps if it's as fast as Forbidden West or FF16... god of war ragnarok and demons souls for example, got unusable 30fps modes. So much delay

Last edited:

yamaci17

eh this game is not that bad. imma giving it 75/100. had fun , clocked it around 16 hrs.

can't say I regret playing it. the game got so much heat because of its optimization problems. can't quite say it is justified or not. It feels like game actually has some real groundbreaking graphics behind it, if you CAN... give it some "resolution". I found 1440p FSR balanced (835p internal) where game shined "a bit". at 4K Frs quality (internal 1440p), it looked truly BREATHTAKING but my VRAM gave out. I still enjoyed the graphics at 1440p FSR balanced. But I wish I had more VRAM. I could be okay playing this at 30 FPS locked at 4K FSR quality lol.

as for the game;
I didn't like side content and maps and their overall design. But I cared for story and characters weren't really bad. I admire the attempt of creating some resemblance of lore around the story actually. They really put some thoughts into it and supported it with a lot of lore texts which I found enjoyable to read at times. This game certianly could've benefitted from a longer development phase. Could've become something bigger and more impressive...

For GAMEPLAY and COMBAT... Yeah it is a highpoint of the game. Not a super one, but enjoyable. enemies become stale though as enemy variety is at MINIMUM... green skills and green talents are underdeveloped and I didn't like them, and that's bad because they compromise1/3 of the gameplay elements. I really didn't care about switching to "green goo" skill that slowed enemies. I liked red and blue stuff though. especially bash skill was quite fun. Some of the skills there made the game Doom-esque. Only problem, not enough enemy and not enough tempo!

I think combat could've benefitted from more and varied enemies. sometimes game clicks in with me but just as I get into the rhythm, fight ends. that's not cool. underlying core gameplay is really fun. It truly is a battlemage simulator.

STORY... is below average . nothing groundbreaking. at least they tried to link everything together through lore pieces. it got me somewhat interested towards the second half. the concepts are cool, again, execution is just poor. main character is workable, somewhat likeable. but needed more time in the oven at the beginning of the game. events happen too quickly for character development. some slow burn would be beneficial. same goes for side characters. stuff happens so quickly. I don't like quick transitions. I dislike "5 year has passed and stuff happened and this is what I am now" trope.

GRAPHICS are cool. first ue5 game I played and finished. my 3070 endured. DLSS is broken at the time (broken motion blur in cutscenes. way to go AMD, way to go developers. do everything in your power to prevent DLSS from implemented or working properly)

i had around 40 to 60 fps . interiors and caves definitely were a 60 lock which made those parts super enjoyable. VRR saved the day most of the time. I played at Magnus difficulty, it wasn't super easy or hard. performance wasn't a limiting factor and experience was enjoyable. Image quality as I said previously was okay. At times game shined, at times it looked bad. It depends. more resolution would've been much better.

HIGHEST POINT however is cutscene and cutscene animation quality. some rare scenes are prerendered but some of them are not! they're legit engine renders. which is super impressive. I hope it's a welcome addition for unreal 5. cutscenes and facial animations with most ue4 games were whack. at least they got this one right.

ALSO... WHY NO PHOTO MODE?? I DON'T WANT TO install unreal engine unlocker or whatever. it is a game of graphical showcase. how can you not add a photo mode????

O2LUG5w.png

bV5XUEf.png

Amazingly detailed tree trunk. Mesh quality is off the charts
eDqvq7H.jpg

At times game is photorealistic indeed.

2dt2TDo.jpg

Impeccable long distance details. At times I'm really surprised. I guess this is one part of UE5 that really justifies its existence. It almost feels like 0 compromises are being made in the distance rendering. Which adds to the overall experience and presentation, surely

lhZunDE.jpg

k4mhkAw.jpg

and Kenzie is a sweetheart
NfOmZY2.png

3KLdaF4.jpg

lowest points:
- hair and beard rendering (probably needs higher resolution inputs. even at static scenes, It appears rough. looks acceptable but rough.
- non existent physics. no proper wind or ragdoll etc. very basic levels of implementations.
- horrible water quality. looks like cardboard. especially looks horrible where water meets land. I have no idea how they shipped the game like that lmao

Last edited:

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Post fro dev regarding console graphics. Apparently fuzziness was a big and game was not supposed to be 720p locked. Patch on Monday.

Good to hear the fix for low res dlss is out today because man i played yesterday after 4 days of not playing and i was like “ wait a minute… everything looks like smear fest here “ . Since i played Starfield fhe 4 says prior i was thinking “no way starfield looks THAT clean” and Immortals actually looked like crap all along 😂

Edit: nope not fixed yet on pc so tomorrow too i guess then

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Post fro dev regarding console graphics. Apparently fuzziness was a big and game was not supposed to be 720p locked. Patch on Monday.

Interesting. So there’s a chance the game come Monday will be 1080p or 1440p upscaled to 4k at mostly 60fps on console ?

I plan to pick this up this year and was going to risk doing it on my pc 3080, but if this patch proves to be good then I may go ps5…

I saw the game discounted on PSN (40% off) and caught my attention. Seems like the perfect weekend game between big games, which is what I currently need lol.

However, I fear the game will be in PS+ before too long, just like Callisto did

This and Forspoken are games I wouldn’t mind playing but don’t want to spend too much in them especially if they will be “free” before too long.

I bought the PS5 game today. Physical disc, of course.

Apparently it is an “always online” game despite being single-player only? I noticed that even the DLC items require an online connection. Yikes.

The game itself seems fine. Reminds me of pretty much any other looter/shooter. I wish the performance was better. This type of game really demands a solid 60fps. Instead, it’s probably around 50 during the action. It also has load times and stuttering for no obvious reason. On the PS5, this game should be seamless. I guess it’s held back by Ye Olde Series S and catering to PC HDDs.

I’m still having fun with this. The game claims I am 45% complete. I’m curious about my playtime, but the PS5 dashboard claims only two hours played when I probably have about eight hours invested.

Still the only complaint is performance. When there is a lot going on, it’s hard to see, especially when the frame rate feels choppy. Between the frame rate and the input lag, using a controller to shoot those speedy XP “bubbles” flying around is infuriating.

Last edited:
Just finished the game. It was really fun! The story gets a bit weird at certain point, but the gameplay is good all the way to the end. Anyone who enjoys games like God of War, Guardians of the Galaxy, Tomb Raider, etc will enjoy this.

Great music. Fantastic animation. Graphics are decent, but at too high of a performance cost. This really needs to hit 60fps.

I don’t see any point in completing this 100%, as the campaign’s length is just right. Well worth your time.

👍

Top Bottom