• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum |OT| Battlemage, The Fist Person Shooter

Drizzlehell

Banned
I hate that this writing trend has taken over. It's not funny and it's not how any real entity would talk., whether human or otherwise.
It isn't though. He just talks like a normal 20-something guy. I don't find him grating at all, and the actor actually sounds pretty natural with his delivery.

He will make a corny joke here and there but I guess it's just part of the character and it doesn't come off as if we're supposed to find him edgy, cool, or sarcastic. He's more like a dude who's in over his head and acts appropriately for someone in that position. It's a complete 180 from something like Forspoken where the dialogue and its delivery was turbo-cringe and the direction obviously expected us to think it was cool.

And if that doesn't convince you then think about it like this - if the dialogue was really so abrasive and cringe then clips from this game would be already going viral on Twitter right about now, kinda like we saw it with Forspoken.

It isn't though. He just talks like a normal 20-something guy. I don't find him grating at all, and the actor actually sounds pretty natural with his delivery.

He will make a corny joke here and there but I guess it's just part of the character and it doesn't come off as if we're supposed to find him edgy, cool, or sarcastic. He's more like a dude who's in over his head and acts appropriately for someone in that position. It's a complete 180 from something like Forspoken where the dialogue and its delivery was turbo-cringe and the direction obviously expected us to think it was cool.

And if that doesn't convince you then think about it like this - if the dialogue was really so abrasive and cringe then clips from this game would be already going viral on Twitter right about now, kinda like we saw it with Forspoken.
I see what you're saying but the writing is still very Marvel like and it's a trend most games and movies follow these days.

Uncharted is a good example what sarcasm and humor should sound like. Things that real people would say. But even in Uncharted 3 there are some influences of this newer style of writing.

Unfortunately most jokes these days are very heavily based either in sarcasm or the fact that one person knows better than the other and makes them feel dumb. Both of which really aren't funny when used over and over.

Romulus

Lol we get a tiny bit of "next gen" particles and it's back to 1080p. This is the generation of compromise confirmed.

dorkimoe

Lol we get a tiny bit of "next gen" particles and it's back to 1080p. This is the generation of compromise confirmed.
Its every generation now. PS6 will have this game at 60fps 1440p and so on. We are never getting full upgrades anymore

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Im in the minority that can count on one hand the amount of Marvel movies Ive seen. Its like being untainted by the Matrix sequels and only ever seeing the original.

Im just not burned out on this sort of writing and character banter. And the dude is way more puckish rogue/Drake-y. Maybe he becomes a witty dickface later, I dont know yet.

Its like the only colorful magic based, narrative heavy action game allowed this year is Hogwarts. Everything else can go fuck itself lol

Last edited:

hlm666

It seems that I was wrong about the Series X holding 60fps well. According to this video the frame rate starts to become very variable in action packed scenes after the initial opening:
ps5/x are hitting 720p when the framerate is dropping, it's compounded because they are also using fsr2 instead of tsr because fsr is faster/cheaper. The visuals are not close to what was expected from the UE5 demos, and in turn it makes the performance levels hard to swallow. With so much UE5 stuff in the works this is gonna be a rough few years, epic seem to have greatly overestimated the cpu performance they have on consoles somehow or they just figured 30fps would be fine. We need some quality triple aaa devs to fix this shit and push the updates back into the ue5 code base.

SmokSmog

fE8zrd.jpg

Drizzlehell

Banned
I see what you're saying but the writing is still very Marvel like and it's a trend most games and movies follow these days.

Uncharted is a good example what sarcasm and humor should sound like. Things that real people would say. But even in Uncharted 3 there are some influences of this newer style of writing.

Unfortunately most jokes these days are very heavily based either in sarcasm or the fact that one person knows better than the other and makes them feel dumb. Both of which really aren't funny when used over and over.
You use "Marvel humour" in a derogatory manner, as if Uncharted wasn't at all inspired by Joss Whedon's writing. You know, the guy who literally set the bar for how jokes are written in almost every Marvel movie post-Avengers.

Maybe it's an age thing. I literally can't stand anything Marvel but I'm not 20 anymore. Can't even handle a Guardians of the Galaxy trailer.

Videogames do have to appeal to kids- unless it is a CRPG or something.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
enough Graphics talk, hows the gameplay? whats it play like?

From what Ive played, its not quite Doom, not quite Ghostwire, not quite Shadow Warrior....but it has the Bulletstorm leash and the shooting feels good. Theres a double jump out of the gate and it doesnt feel overly floaty or anything. Controls feel tight and responsive. Its satisfying popping headshots with your finger pistol.

Definitely was caught off guard by the timed dialogue choices. No idea if they affect anything in the future or not. Always cool to see some Metroidy goodness. They tease you pretty early on with areas you cant reach yet.

*sniffffff* mmhmm that new IP smell

Last edited:
You use "Marvel humour" in a derogatory manner, as if Uncharted wasn't at all inspired by Joss Whedon's writing. You know, the guy who literally set the bar for how jokes are written in almost every Marvel movie post-Avengers.
Post Avengers is the key thing here. Looking into it, he's the creator of Firefly and Uncharted is a pretty heavy handed reference to that show with Nate looking and acting strikingly similar to Nathan Fillion. Not to mention bringing Greg Edmonson over as well.

Firefly is awesome and hilarious! But though it's written by the same guy there is an astronomically huge difference in the tone of humor between that show and Marvel movies. Nobody's perfect so it's entirely possible that his writing style changed for the worse because Marvel simply isn't funny, like seriously at all.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

From what Ive played, its not quite Doom, not quite Ghostwire, not quite Shadow Warrior....but it has the Bulletstorm leash and the shooting feels good. Theres a double jump out of the gate and it doesnt feel overly floaty or anything. Controls feel tight and responsive. Its satisfying popping headshots with your finger pistol.

Definitely was caught off guard by the timed dialogue choices. No idea if they affect anything in the future or not. Always cool to see some Metroidy goodness. They tease you pretty early on with areas you cant reach yet.

*sniffffff* mmhmm that new IP smell
Im one o fthose who doesnt care about story so no im intrigued..may have to grab this today

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Post Avengers is the key thing here. Looking into it, he's the creator of Firefly and Uncharted is a pretty heavy handed reference to that show with Nate looking and acting strikingly similar to Nathan Fillion. Not to mention bringing Greg Edmonson over as well.

Firefly is awesome and hilarious! But though it's written by the same guy there is an astronomically huge difference in the tone of humor between that show and Marvel movies. Nobody's perfect so it's entirely possible that his writing style changed for the worse because Marvel simply isn't funny, like seriously at all.

Hey surprise, the actress who played Zoe on Firefly is one of the main characters here. Go figure lol

Drizzlehell

Banned
I picked up from where I left off yesterday and man, it just keeps getting better the further I progress and the more abilities I unlock.

You know how every once in a while you'll stumble upon a game that probably won't be taking any GOTY awards home, but none of its shortcomings are particularly bothersome and it manages to be consistently entertaining and engaging? This is definitely one of those games for me. It's a bummer that it got released just before AC6 because most people will probably skip it and hold off until Friday to play with robots instead. I get the feeling that if this came out a month earlier like it was originally supposed to, it would've attracted more players. I'd hate to see this game flop tbh.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I picked up from where I left off yesterday and man, it just keeps getting better the further I progress and the more abilities I unlock.

You know how every once in a while you'll stumble upon a game that probably won't be taking any GOTY awards home, but none of its shortcomings are particularly bothersome and it manages to be consistently entertaining and engaging? This is definitely one of those games for me. It's a bummer that it got released just before AC6 because most people will probably skip it and hold off until Friday to play with robots instead. I get the feeling that if this came out a month earlier like it was originally supposed to, it would've attracted more players. I'd hate to see this game flop tbh.

Yeah bro but the SSAO and FSAA looks really bad on those wooden beams.

Think Ill just wait for a hard sale na mean?

:pie_eyeroll:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Do you know what chapter youre on? Been thinking about it all day at work and cant wait to jump back in later. Im only up to Chapter 3, basically did the time jump and had to crash for the night :messenger_persevering:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Do you know what chapter youre on? Been thinking about it all day at work and cant wait to jump back in later. Im only up to Chapter 3, basically did the time jump and had to crash for the night :messenger_persevering:
I'm on chapter 8, so way further than that.

Chapter 3 is where things finally pick up, though. That's where the first big set piece happens and there's a cool boss fight at the end too.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Writing aside, how much environmental diversity is there?
I'd say plenty. Each level had its own unique theme so far (eg. countryside villages, rocky level but everything floats in the air and you zip around like in Bioshock Infinite, magical forest, some interior castles and libraries, and now I just landed in a snow-covered area. There's also this whole other "alternate reality" thing but I can't get too deep into that without spoilers.

These bog-standard descriptions don't do these locations justice, though, because there are a lot of fantastical elements to the overall visual design, and even though on a conceptual level they seem like your typical fantasy locations, each one has some wild, otherworldly elements and architecture to them. There's some interesting lore behind it all too.

Last edited:

WX3

I am really enjoying it! Just made it to a winter like zone and quit for the night, but I am eager to get back into it after work tomorrow. I don't mind the characters at all, unlike Forspoken which kind of gets on your nerves after ten minutes with the game. Exploring previously visited area that you could not reach prior is fun, and usually rewards the player with some kind of updated gear through chests. Overall it has been a "blast" to play, and perfect filler before Starfield.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It’s weird first person action games like this that make me glad I played through Breakdown so many times back in the day. That game really opened the door for me for these out of left field first person action adventure games. More so than the original Half Life.

Pimpbaa

No fucking HDR, what year is this? I’ve said this before but HDR was considered standard back during the PS4 Pro. The only current console games that gets a pass for no HDR is on the Switch because it doesn’t support it. Hard pass until it comes on EA Play.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It’s weird first person action games like this that make me glad I played through Breakdown so many times back in the day. That game really opened the door for me for these out of left field first person action adventure games. More so than the original Half Life.
Are you saying this is similar to Breakdown? That definitely increases my interest.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This game keeps throwing mini curveballs into the experience. I swear last night I was getting some serious Metroid Prime vibes just running around searching the proverbial nooks and crannies for goodies and secrets.

2DRW5iq.jpg
UX100NG.jpg
yxF5Sle.jpg
IqFXqoc.jpg

It’s the same sort of exploration satisfaction that I get in stuff like Fallen Order and Tomb Raider which is excellent. Also, had no idea the three primary “guns” can be turned into alternate versions with different firing styles. Like, the base machine gun hand can alternatively have homing bullets or what’s equal to a gatling gun. Pretty fucking cool.

Calling it now, 2023’s best game no one played.

The boss fights and challenge rooms have been dope too. And the music is just right in that while not catchy, it’s unintrusive and good. Ambient chill electronic…just like Prime 😏

Top Bottom