• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IMPORT Official MGS Peace Walker Thread of Everything - if you can name it, it's in

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Vamphuntr said:
This might be a dumb question but do we know if the demo save file will unlock something in the game? Since you can kidnap (''recruit'') soldier with the ballon and the demo acknowledge that you evacuated these soldiers, it would be nice to get them as a bonus in the retail game.

I don't think the saves will be retro-compatible.

Vamphuntr

bernardobri said:
I don't think the saves will be retro-compatible.

I'm not expecting that at all. The missions will probably have been tweaked/modified. What I meant is that if we could get bonus by having a demo save file. For example in Lunar PSP you get a bonus weapon if you have a demo save. Since there will be a huge amount of equipments, shirts and whatnot it would be nice to get some bonus from that demo file.

Bebpo

Banned
KTallguy said:
PS3 Ad-hoc play will be BOSS :)
We should really tally up a list of PSN names (and timezones).
I'm down for co-op missions on weekday nights.

I have a 20gig launch PS3 which is the only system that can't use ad-hoc party :|

I'm going to try to get xlink-kai working for Peace Walker COOPS but that would mean the other people need to use it too and I'm guessing you guys will all be playing through ad-hoc party so it will be a party I am not attending me thinks.

gobassgo

Banned
So wait a fucking minute.
Let me get this straight.

If me and my friend both have PSPs AND PS3s we could play peacewalker online together co-op???

WUUUH?????

bernardobri

Vamphuntr said:
I'm not expecting that at all. The missions will probably have been tweaked/modified. What I meant is that if we could get bonus by having a demo save file. For example in Lunar PSP you get a bonus weapon if you have a demo save. Since there will be a huge amount of equipments, shirts and whatnot it would be nice to get some bonus from that demo file.

Now you mention it, I'd love to get some extras in Peace Walker for having save files from other MGS titles. Just like in MPO you could get Venus and Teliko as playable characters if you had MGA and MGA2 save files on the memory stick. (And you could get Major Zero if you had a MGSDGN save file as well) So getting an extra for having a completed save file from the Demo is not a bad idea...

Bebpo said:
As long as you don't have launch 20gigs, that is correct.

I thought only certain PSP's could as well?

On a side note how do i check what type my PSP is? 1000? 2000? etc

It's a Crisis Core Edition, I'm in Aus if that matters. Thanks!

DualShadow said:

it's a 2000.

all psp work.

hampig

DualShadow said:

For future reference, it says the model on the bottom of the system.

Andriasang said:
These messages are fully voiced for those who've installed the game to Memory Stick. If you choose not to install, the messages will be text only.

How about digital downloads? Do they count as installed games? Or do I have to install it anyway?

duckroll

OneMoreQuestion said:
How about digital downloads? Do they count as installed games? Or do I have to install it anyway?

You have to install anyway. Those who plan on downloading it and installing should have at least 2.5gig free on their memory stick.

KTallguy

Banned
Bebpo said:
I have a 20gig launch PS3 which is the only system that can't use ad-hoc party :|

I'm going to try to get xlink-kai working for Peace Walker COOPS but that would mean the other people need to use it too and I'm guessing you guys will all be playing through ad-hoc party so it will be a party I am not attending me thinks.

I have xlink-kai too but I haven't used it in ages. I'm sure we can work something out.
I was using it for Monster Hunter but it was confusing to use. I hope it works with Win 7.
I *think* you can chat on X-link Kai too.

That's really lame that 20gig doesn't support Ad-hoc party though.

Vamphuntr

Are we sure the story missions are 1p only? Because in the preview by the famitsu guys one of them said most of the missions could be played in multiplayer. Maybe there are a few story missions (1p) and a lot of extra ops missions (multi) or he is lying/confused.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/03/25/famitsu_plays_peace_walker/

Regarding the game itself, Gyaruson notes that after the mid point, the game can get pretty tough. However, most of the missions can be played in multiplayer. You can even play with someone who's advanced beyond you and has access to superior weapons.

In the link Spiegel posted it's clear the codec system won't be a problem since it's in real time (like in the demo) now. Would be nice but I guess it wouldn't make much sense to have multi Snakes during the main plot :lol .

bernardobri

Beware of spoilers guys, the game got leaked and apparently even if all the text in-game is in japanese, the animated cutscenes have english text.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
bernardobri said:
Beware of spoilers guys, the game got leaked and apparently even if all the text in-game is in japanese, the animated cutscenes have english text.

the game comes with chinese language too? or just japanese?

looks like from the info the game cant be played in a CFW? did Duckroll got his wish come true? :0

duckroll

Vamphuntr said:
Are we sure the story missions are 1p only? Because in the preview by the famitsu guys one of them said most of the missions could be played in multiplayer. Maybe there are a few story missions (1p) and a lot of extra ops missions (multi) or he is lying/confused.

Bebpo's just confused. He's been on media blackout for most of the game, so don't blame him. :p

Story missions = Main Ops
Optional missions = Extra Ops

There will be some 1P only missions, but most will be playable in SP or MP.

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll said:
Bebpo's just confused. He's been on media blackout for most of the game, so don't blame him. :p

Yeah, I haven't followed this. I thought story missions were 1p because of the cutscenes? Does everyone just watch the cutscenes together like Halo 3 coop?

duckroll

Bebpo said:
Yeah, I haven't followed this. I thought story missions were 1p because of the cutscenes? Does everyone just watch the cutscenes together like Halo 3 coop?

Yeah, you press start to skip a cutscene, and you get a message that the game is waiting for the other players to skip or finish the cutscene before the mission continues. Kinda like FFXI too.

Teknoman

So think i'll miss out on anything story related from not finishing Portable Ops? Seems like Peace Walker controls better as well.

Teknoman said:
So think i'll miss out on anything story related from not finishing Portable Ops? Seems like Peace Walker controls better as well.

I would like to know as well, I've started Portable Ops but nowhere near finished due to lack of time :(
And form playing the demo of Peace Walker it absolutely controls better.

Did most of you guys/gals use shooter mode in demo or the other mode? I found myself using shooting the entire time.

Vamphuntr

DualShadow said:
I would like to know as well, I've started Portable Ops but nowhere near finished due to lack of time :(
And form playing the demo of Peace Walker it absolutely controls better.

Did most of you guys/gals use shooter mode in demo or the other mode? I found myself using shooting the entire time.

I used the portable ops style. The one where you use the dpad to aim.

Deadly

In the OP, it's written with AD-HOC only. The game doesn't have multiplayer infrastructure? Didn't Portable Ops have infrastructure?

bernardobri

MPO had infraestructure, yes, but it was only for multiplayer matches, loading only one map at the time.

duckroll

bernardobri said:
MPO had infraestructure, yes, but it was only for multiplayer matches, loading only one map at the time.

I don't think it really matters. If they wanted to implement infrastructure, they clearly could have. Maybe they felt that maintaining servers and stuff would be counterproductive if the game didn't take off big time outside of Japan. Maybe there'll be an Infrastructure patch later. Maybe they'll release a Substance re-release in future with Infrastructur. Or maybe they just don't care because most MGS fans probably already have a PS3. Who knows.

bernardobri

duckroll said:
I don't think it really matters. If they wanted to implement infrastructure, they clearly could have. Maybe they felt that maintaining servers and stuff would be counterproductive if the game didn't take off big time outside of Japan. Maybe there'll be an Infrastructure patch later. Maybe they'll release a Substance re-release in future with Infrastructur. Or maybe they just don't care because most MGS fans probably already have a PS3. Who knows.

Well, I think it'd be a frikkin' mess considering the sensational online infrastructure they implemented for MGO... So I guess they went the easy way.

Also, duckroll, is it fine to post here mild spoilers with the respective tags? Seems like info is spreading out, mostly about the ending song and other stuff...

duckroll

bernardobri said:
Well, I think it'd be a frikkin' mess considering the sensational online infrastructure they implemented for MGO... So I guess they went the easy way for the main public (Japan), since they can pretty much get together and play locally.

I dunno, there was nothing wrong with the online for MGO, other than it uses a Konami account and a separate Friend List, and it's own store instead of the PSN store. That actually supports the argument that it would be even MORE suited towards PSP, since you have no Friend Lists on PSP anyway, so having to login to a Konami Account to manage an in-game list of friends and lobbies makes the most sense. They just didn't want to do it.

Also, duckroll, is it fine to post mild spoilers with the respective tags? Seems like info is spreading out, mostly about the ending song and other stuff...

99 hours 59 minutes.

I hope to god this plays better than the other portable metal gears. I didn't dig the demo, but i hope the full version clicks with me. it looks hot. MGS3 is my favorite MGS, so I really, really WANT to like this. If i will or not is yet to be decided.

I would rather have a PS2/PSN version or enable Dual Shock 3 connectivity ala Resistance Retribution or via PSP Go for 'murican gamers who are used to two sticks.

bernardobri

duckroll said:
I dunno, there was nothing wrong with the online for MGO, other than it uses a Konami account and a separate Friend List, and it's own store instead of the PSN store. That actually supports the argument that it would be even MORE suited towards PSP, since you have no Friend Lists on PSP anyway, so having to login to a Konami Account to manage an in-game list of friends and lobbies makes the most sense. They just didn't want to do it.

I guess that the main audience for PW this time is Japan, therefore local play is more plausible than with the western market.

99 hours 59 minutes.

Alright, got it, although considering your enthusiam with the game, that would be one week ban at most :lol

duckroll

mehdi_san said:
Do you mean the store for Singapore? Do you usually get the games on release date with Japan?

Yes. The only thing is, I see Peace Walker listed as coming on a bunch of Asian PSN sites (HK, Malaysia, Thailand, etc) but not the Singapore site. Either it's a typo, or for some reason it's not going to be on the Singapore store. I guess I'll find out later today when they update.

So from the stream of the prologue, here are the changes from the demo to the retail game (no spoilers):

- All comic cutscenes how have comic bubbles in English, this means the majority of the cutscenes are effectively English subbed.

- When you are up against a wall and use L and R to tag enemies, the tag now stays on the enemy for a few seconds instead of requiring you to hold R.

- There demo mission for Opening/Tutorial is VERY incomplete. The full game has extra cutscenes and a new area at the end of it.

- Comic cutscenes have QTE events too. It doesn't look like you can actually fail them, but you con't progress until you get it right.

Crap, I didn't know you couldn't use Ad-hoc with a 20gig system. I would have to buy a new ps3, and a psp for this :/
Shit, MGS co-op is the best idea yet, I wanted to eat doritos and bag a damn t-rex

duckroll

Regarding Ad-hoc on 20gigs, I don't understand why Sony doesn't just release an Adhoc Adapter for the PS3. They could easily release a simple 50 buck wifi dongle which acts exclusively as an Adhoc Adapter. This will also allow people who are using wireless connections on their PS3 to use Adhoc Party at the same time. Maybe if enough people send feedback to Sony regarding this request, they'll do something about it! :D

duckroll said:
Regarding Ad-hoc on 20gigs, I don't understand why Sony doesn't just release an Adhoc Adapter for the PS3. They could easily release a simple 50 buck wifi dongle which acts exclusively as an Adhoc Adapter. This will also allow people who are using wireless connections on their PS3 to use Adhoc Party at the same time. Maybe if enough people send feedback to Sony regarding this request, they'll do something about it! :D

This is Sony we're talking about here Boss! :lol

OMG I can't stop watching the live stream, someone slap me outta this.

duckroll said:

You cant use wireless internet and Ad-Hoc at the same time?

Meaning i would need to wire a connection in if I want to use Ad-Hoc ?

Sorry never used Ad-Hoc before :/

duckroll

DualShadow said:
You cant use wireless internet and Ad-Hoc at the same time?

Meaning i would need to wire a connection in if I want to use Ad-Hoc ?

Sorry never used Ad-Hoc before :/

Yeah. The wireless chip can only be either wireless infrastructure (online) or adhoc at any one time.

KTallguy

Banned
Just got my copy and popped it in to install at work. :D

Man Kojima games always have awesome interfaces, even the install screen and music look awesome. 800 meg install :)

Top Bottom