• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

sphinx

the piano man
I made it to 77 lightning bolts..

then BAM!...

I threw the controller to the floor and went to the kitchen lol

will try once and then proceed to grind for other stuff, eventually ill get it,

it's shaping to be the worst trophy out of all of them.

Kinsei

Banned
I made it to 77 lightning bolts..

then BAM!...

I threw the controller to the floor and went to the kitchen lol

will try once and then proceed to grind for other stuff, eventually ill get it,

it's shaping to be the worst trophy out of all of them.

You are using no encounters armor and forcing the lightning bolts to strike by running to the correct crater, right?

I decided this would be the year I finally finish Final Fantasy II. This game is a weird bag for me - my first exposure to it was in 1998 when the Demiforce fan translation was released and I had a Pentium PC (333MHz, if I recall) that could play it. I spent a few hours trying to figure out how to set everything up and was really excited to play "the sequel we never got". Until I actually played it. In my mind I guess I thought it would be more like the US Final Fantasy II, and after having beat Final Fantasy III (VI) and VII by then it was a huge letdown. I believe I gave up after a few hours of "trying to get a feel for it".

I-Should-Buy-A-Boat-Cat.jpg

Final Fantasy is my favorite series of all time as well. Unlike a lot of people, I haven't fell off at any point. Loved all of the mainline games. Except for II, it just didn't grab me when I bought the PSP versions. Loved the first one, couldn't get into II. I hope I can fit the mobile version somewhere this year and give it a fair go.

sphinx

the piano man
what's the deal with inventory anyway?? there are so few items I can take with me, I hate that. I found myself discarding tons of things and I'd like to keep them all :/

can I store my items anywhere so I can keep "hoarding" or does the game force me to choose weapons/armors?

You are using no encounters armor and forcing the lightning bolts to strike by running to the correct crater, right?

yep :)

I am tired now, it's late at night so I guess I should try tomorrow.

Kinsei

Banned
what's the deal with inventory anyway?? there are so few items I can take with me, I hate that. I found myself discarding tons of things and I'd like to keep them all :/

can I store my items anywhere so I can keep "hoarding" or does the game force me to choose weapons/armors?

yep :)

I am tired now, it's late at night so I guess I should try tomorrow.

There's no way to store gear. I'm surprised you've run out of room since there are 178 slots. Honestly 99% of the gear you get in FFX is only good for selling.

sphinx

the piano man
question

.- where or how exactly do I farm those spheres with which I fill the empty nodes?? also, should I farm and use of a certain type? it seems I could fill the nodes just get tons of "H" nodes and get pletny of heal points, neglecting all other traits.

some tips about what nodes to fill the grid with, would be appreciated

There's no way to store gear. I'm surprised you've run out of room since there are 178 slots. Honestly 99% of the gear you get in FFX is only good for selling.

I see, so yeah I should sell the stuff and not worry about "collecting"?? for me a final fantasy is a game where you always collects everything you see, but fine for me, less work.

kromeo

question

.- where or how exactly do I farm those spheres with which I fill the empty nodes?? also, should I farm and use of a certain type? it seems I could fill the nodes just get tons of "H" nodes and get pletny of heal points, neglecting all other traits.

They mostly drop from the super enemies in the monster arena

sphinx

the piano man
forgot to ask, there are some enemies I just can't seem to find.

I am missing four enemies from the cave of the stolen fayth, have no idea where to look for it and it won't appear by it's one

is the tonberry there rare?

EDIT: also.. how am I supposed to beat all those monsters with a million HP??? my party deals 9999 at most. how do I customize my weapons so they can deal more daamge?

They mostly drop from the super enemies in the monster arena

so it's drops and not stolen, right?

kromeo

forgot to ask, there are some enemies I just can't seem to find.

I am missing four enemies from the cave of the stolen fayth, have no idea where to look for it and it won't appear by it's one

is the tonberry there rare?

I think Tonberrys appear more often right at the back of the cavern, near where you fight Yojimbo

tonka

as for the damage output, there are abilities like blitz ace and attack reels that do multiple hits. So multiple 9999 hits in a turn to get there eventually.
Or you could get the celestial weapons which break the damage limit when fully powered.

sphinx

the piano man
Money: Get Rikku's celestial weapon and then grind mimics. You'll get a ton of money very quickly.

Items: You'll get most of the items you need via the fiend collection side quest. Here is a list of all mixtures: https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/15349

AP: First you need to unlock Don Tonberry in the arena by capturing one of every fiend in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth. Once that's done you then need to get weapons with three empty slots on them and then customize a specific set of skills on to them. First off you'll want the triple AP skill which costs a whopping 50 wings to discovery to customize. You can get 30 to start you off from the Chocobo race at Remiem Temple but after that you'll have to get them the slow way by bribing Malboros. It costs 270k and you'll get two of them. Needless to say you'll want to farm gil before AP. The second skill you'll want is triple overdrive. This costs 30 winning formulas to customize onto it. You get 99 of them for free after capturing one of every fiend in the game, but after that you'll need to bribe sandworms with a whopping 900,000 gil if you want to get more. And last but certainly not least you want to get the overdrive -> AP skill. The skill requires 10 doors to tomorrow in order to customize but thankfully they are easy to get. You just need to capture one of every fiend in six different areas to unlock Catastrophe and you'll be rewarded with 99 of them.

The trick itself is actually quite easy to do once you get the gear you need. Equip your party with their AP farming weapons, set their overdrive mode to comrade, and then go fight Don Tonberry. Every time you attack him he'll counterattack for a ton of damage and kill the person that attacked him. Thanks to your comrade overdrive mode and the abilities of your weapons the other two people on the field when this happens will get a ton of AP. Using this method you can go from SL0 to SL99 in a single fight.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong and Youtube isn't of much help...

I am wanting to farm for money so I tried the Mimic tactic in this post, I have Rikk's celestial weapon and it's fully functional.

I try fighting the mimic and it takes FOREVER to get killed... the guide says it's immune to everything so apparently there's no way but to just keep attacking til it dies. is there a way to kill it faster?

youtube videos show characters with 999999999 everything so they really aren't helping because I haven't really started power-grinding for anything so my characters are weak and they still die to enemies in the omega ruins.

are there maybe some other tactics for AP grinding at this point in my playthrough?? I just need a fight/enemy that gives me around 15~20k per battle and that isn't that hard to learn, just to get a bit stronger and be able to kill harder enemies faster, get money faster and get the thing going.

also, for the three attritbutes (triple overdrive, overdrive -> AP, etc) every character needs to hold such a weapon to get the higher AP points, right?? or is it one weapon per party??

thanks for any help!

kromeo

Each character needs to have the ability. It's a long time since I did all that but I seem to remember one of the flying eye monsters in the arena drops gear with one of the abilities already on to get you started, maybe triple AP?

The item that you need for overdrive > AP I think you can get from the chocobo race thing at the calm lands temple, not sure how many though

Kinsei

Banned
FF1 Update #6

Whisperwind Cove was a huge slog to get through. Why is it that for over half of the dungeon I was still fighting enemies introduced back in the first optional dungeon? It wasn't until after floor 25 that I actually started seeing new enemies. The bosses were also a step down from the previous dungeon. While it was cool to see Typhon, Ultros, Phantom Train, and Deathgaze I couldn;t help but be disappointed by their difficulty. I was expecting the bosses to be a step up in difficulty from Omega and Shinryu but that wasn't the case.

The Shrine of Chaos and Chaos himself were over in a flash. Overall I enjoyed going back through FF1 but I must say that I greatly prefer the NES version of the game even though it doesn't have the new dungeons.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong and Youtube isn't of much help...

I am wanting to farm for money so I tried the Mimic tactic in this post, I have Rikk's celestial weapon and it's fully functional.

I try fighting the mimic and it takes FOREVER to get killed... the guide says it's immune to everything so apparently there's no way but to just keep attacking til it dies. is there a way to kill it faster?

youtube videos show characters with 999999999 everything so they really aren't helping because I haven't really started power-grinding for anything so my characters are weak and they still die to enemies in the omega ruins.

are there maybe some other tactics for AP grinding at this point in my playthrough?? I just need a fight/enemy that gives me around 15~20k per battle and that isn't that hard to learn, just to get a bit stronger and be able to kill harder enemies faster, get money faster and get the thing going.

also, for the three attritbutes (triple overdrive, overdrive -> AP, etc) every character needs to hold such a weapon to get the higher AP points, right?? or is it one weapon per party??

thanks for any help!

There are actually four different types of mimic and only the machina type has super high defenses. I find the best way to deal with mimics early on is to spam overdrives.

For grinding before doing the Tonberry trick I would actually recommend the Omega Ruins. Just make sure you have Tidus equipped with a weapon that has the first strike ability so you can provoke any malboros before they use bad breath. Provoke stops them from being able to use it.

Every character in the party needs to be holding a weapon with those skills to get the benefits.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
For doing more than 9999 HP damage, although you can customize weapons to break the damage limit, in practice you're better off just using the fully powered up Celestial Weapons, all of which break the damage limit.

sphinx

the piano man
thanks everyone for the help, yeah I just had spend some time in the omega ruins and some enemies are pretty good for AP, I'll level up there for a while

For doing more than 9999 HP damage, although you can customize weapons to break the damage limit, in practice you're better off just using the fully powered up Celestial Weapons, all of which break the damage limit.

I have the brady games guide.... it says CLEARLY that I had to take the sun crest after beating
Yunalesca
, in a chest behind her. The other two parts for Tidus's weapon are very easy to get.

can you imagine I didn't take the sun crest???

I tried to go there to grab it but right there is Dark Bahamut...

now Tidus's functional weapon will probably be one of the last things I'll do with this game..

fuck me.

Kinsei

Banned
thanks everyone for the help, yeah I just had spend some time in the omega ruins and some enemies are pretty good for AP, I'll level up there for a while

I have the brady games guide.... it says CLEARLY that I had to take the sun crest after beating
Yunalesca
, in a chest behind her. The other two parts for Tidus's weapon are very easy to get.

can you imagine I didn't take the sun crest???

I tried to go there to grab it but right there is Dark Bahamut...

now Tidus's functional weapon will probably be one of the last things I'll do with this game..

fuck me.

Hopefully you got the destruction sphere chest in the Besaid trial your first time through. If not then Tidus won't be the only character that has a piece of their celestial weapon locked behind a dark aeon.

sphinx

the piano man
Hopefully you got the destruction sphere chest in the Besaid trial your first time through. If not then Tidus won't be the only character that has a piece of their celestial weapon locked behind a dark aeon.

one Rod for Yuna? no I didn't take it either.

I am pretty fucking stupid.

EDIT: also, when exactly is the point of no return?? can I fight the enemies
inside Sin
and get back to the ship?

tonka

The good news is you can get the other five.
Easiest to hardest
Rikku, auron, kimahri, wakka, lulu
With the final three ordered by your experience with their mini games. (butterfly catching, blitzball, lightning dodging)
Edit: point of no return is when a big tower falls down and knocks tidus over and there's a teleporter in it. There's a save point in the immediately previous room

Kinsei

Banned
one Rod for Yuna? no I didn't take it either.

I am pretty fucking stupid.

Yeahh. Not only does this mean you need to beat a dark aeon to fully power up Yuna's celestial weapon it also means you need to beat said dark aeon to get the last two aeons. You uh did get the Macalania trial chest though, right? Cause if not then you'll have to beat the dark aeon there as well.

There isn't a point of no return in the traditional sense. You can warp out of the final area from the last save point.

sphinx

the piano man
The good news is you can get the other five.
Easiest to hardest
Rikku, auron, kimahri, wakka, lulu
With the final three ordered by your experience with their mini games. (butterfly catching, blitzball, lightning dodging)

Edit: point of no return is when a big tower falls down and knocks tidus over and there's a teleporter in it. There's a save point in the immediately previous room

Yeahh. Not only does this mean you need to beat a dark aeon to fully power up Yuna's celestial weapon it also means you need to beat said dark aeon to get the last two aeons. You uh did get the Macalania trial chest though, right? Cause if not then you'll have to beat the dark aeon there as well.

There isn't a point of no return in the traditional sense. You can warp out of the final area from the last save point.

ok... so now that I fucked up, I need some opinions.

how would you customize a "super weapon" for Tidus? I can buy a "variable steel" with 4 free slots and then what should I put in there to have a chance against dark aeons and super mega bosses??

As for Yuna's do I really need a super weapon? if so, how should I customize a new weapon for her?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
5TfYirQ.jpg

Ahh, an island in the south! So small it dun even register on the worlds map!

rhSz0OK.jpg

Cactuer live here and are just as manipulatable as Cactuar were! Not that This would ever manipulate 'em into attacking Zenny as some kinda punishment... nope nope...

TZF7QRa.jpg

Mideel! At last! That town we saw quite a long while back but could not reach until now! Earthquakes huh? All the way up north is extra cold temperatures an down south its quakes. Interesting.

9URXiWL.jpg
prDOWTl.jpg

Chloe mentioned a white chocobo once and here it is, inside the many shops of Mideel! Samolen Greens... aren't real. Its Mimett! Mimett!! If ya tickle behind its ears after feeding it, you'll be rewarded with the Contain materia! Which nets ya cool looking magics. But ya only get one! Feed the lil guy again and it'll dine & dash!

PlMd3Iz.jpg

This comes across a locked door in the weapon store which is highly suspicious! Also there, and in the three main shops is the white chocobo and a crazy lady stocking up like mad in preparation for the end of the world!!

CRQ4qzx.jpg

An ya, the end is a hot topic here in Mideel just as it is any other place!

LTmWZj8.jpg
enYfD6e.jpg

A rather shabby looking key is found wedged between some planks, what could it be for? Its not an item or a key item. That Shinra Mansion key is still there... kinda got caught up in the moment of coming across Sephiroth(?) down there that the team forgot ta use it. Theres also an enemy skill yet to be collected in that place. Gonna have ta go back an tie up those loose ends at some point!

zOvmCtD.jpg
yUOCMGf.jpg
ZE8PVOC.jpg

This returns to the weapon store to try out that old key and busts it in the lock! Oops! She fesses up to the shopkeep and her reward(?) is a "Cursed Ring" aka the Curse Ring. An accessory which'll super boost stats at the expense of killing the one wearing it in a minute. The death status can be nullified in a couple of ways an frankly if regular battles are taking more than a minute you're doing something wrong, so its not an issue!

i36pVrC.jpg
uXphqWM.jpg

While pretending to fuss over a dog, This eavesdrops on a couple of old folks who're jabbering away about somebody with a familiar description!

anAjJbc.jpg

Yeeaaaahhhh! The worldwide What-hunt has finally paid off!!

dgcKBFM.jpg
9bIWYqE.jpg

Hey, its that talked about island doctor! All those hints have come together! An do I spy What in the next room over?!

Znj54sc.jpg

What up What?!

Wqd8oYW.jpg

Um...??

B4AMsBh.jpg
1uSgjI9.jpg

Doc please no. Have some compassion man! Try to soften the initial blow!

HwIWcY6.jpg

See what happens? Now This is having a breakdown!

qPUMotj.jpg

An decides ta drop outta the party. Not caring about anything else in the world aside from this person who's already been determined to not be her "What".

6hI0lQj.jpg
h3BcreA.jpg

Everyones feeling down so the resident Shinra spy decides ta allow 'em to spy on Shinra for a moment!

A96zoU3.jpg
JJ7ylUE.jpg
ZSrjpNX.jpg

Heidegger and Scarlet are planning on using the Huge Materia first talked about in an optional scene forever ago to blow Meteor to bits! But it first has to be collected. One from the Nibelheim reactor is already in their hands. Alls left is quotation mark madness, I mean Fort Condor and Corel, to which they've already sent troops to.

F3nkNwl.jpg

One of those targets hits really close to home for You. I'd say its his time to take over as leader!

qjKaDIi.jpg
WLIS9DC.jpg
4Rxdi6U.jpg

Does You have a soft spot for What? Or is he just pumped to show off that Huge Materia? Hope he's not getting too overconfident. Not like they're gonna just walk into these places an walk right out with the goods. There's gonna be fighting for sure!

Zu2ABsd.jpg
z3aD6Fk.jpg

For whatever reason, You decides he's not fit to be the new leader and passes the buck off to Goddamn T. He's not terribly interested in the job however...

j3F7V6m.jpg
vUJIrhI.jpg

But alil sweet talk goes a long way and suddenly he's super onboard for the leader position!

DA4BrGK.jpg
8f1sYJz.jpg

New leader! The captain! An look, the pilot leveled up! You demands the first target they hit is Corel so Goddamn T needs ta form up a party fast!

IltXI5X.jpg

And in the time it took him to form a party, the pilot leveled up again! What a quick learner!

kromeo

You're at the exact same point of the game as me. Unfortunately I think the next section is the worst part of it but it's still decent enough

Kinsei

Banned
ok... so now that I fucked up, I need some opinions.

how would you customize a "super weapon" for Tidus? I can buy a "variable steel" with 4 free slots and then what should I put in there to have a chance against dark aeons and super mega bosses??

As for Yuna's do I really need a super weapon? if so, how should I customize a new weapon for her?

Break Damage Limit and first strike are good weapon skills to hold you over until you can fully power up the Caladbolg. The fastest way to get the dark matters required for iBDL is to capture 5 of every fiend and first strike just requires a return sphere. Also make sure you equip some armor with auto haste on it. That said you can sub Tidus out for Auron for Dark Bahamut to avoid wasting those precious dark matters.

The only reason you would ever need Yuna's celestial weapon is because it also gives BDL to Valefor. Yuna herself will almost never be attacking physically.

How Edea's positions switches during the assassination scene still bugs me every time I play this game. She's facing towards us when Irvine takes the shot, but the float is facing the opposite way when Squall goes in to fight her.

Kinsei

Banned
So I started FF2 yesterday and it's quite a bit better than I remember it being. That said there are a lot of problems I have with it. For starters I hate the leveling system for magic. I'm the type of person that tries to save their MP for big fights but this game actively punishes that. You're forced to be constantly using your spells if you want your spells to get more powerful and as a result you end up running out of MP before a dungeon boss. Sure you could buy an ether to use with it, but they are way too damn expensive early on. There's also the issue of Minwu. It's obvious that he won't be in your party permanently so all he does is take up valuable exp that could be going to your core team.

The story of the game is better than FF1. Although it is a tad bit ridiculous. "You went to a mine and fought a single general to get a piece of ore! You're totally ready to go disable a WMD."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Those rare drops are the worst! the worst!
I might die of all age before I'll get them all.

Do the modern versions have a double animation speed andor auto-battle function? The rare drop grinds in the SNES version were real bad, I could only imagine how much worse it is now with slower and more cinematic battle animations.

Arthea

Do the modern versions have a double animation speed andor auto-battle function? The rare drop grinds in the SNES version were real bad, I could only imagine how much worse it is now with slower and more cinematic battle animations.

one we have on steam - I suppose you are asking about that - has an autobattle option indeed, combat animations still take time though, but! you can skip summoning animation.
I use only one character (with kick on auto) for farming (where possible), it makes things a lot faster, one animated move instead of 5. Unfortunately that's not an option for probably half of those rare drops.

Why are you even bothering?

I wanted all achievements, it's one of my most played game, I want to do the last play through it with the bang of getting all rare drops. It takes ages tho and it's hella boring.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
5cL3JH9.jpg

Yup, we're without This. An as we know, Goddamn T is the new team leader! Thanks for Mr Meows reverse spying the party has a couple destinations in mind but theres no rush right?

LLP1fRq.jpg

A rocket? So thats how they'll blast Meteor with the Huge Materia! Thanks for the new intel dude!

aoSlvP6.jpg

The legendary Shinra air force is up an running now an no longer a laughing stock? I'll believe it when I see it!

qRfpg60.jpg

Ack! Despite warnings Priscilla fell for him anyway! Girl, he's way outta your age group. Just don't!

GB270SE.jpg
I9l5quJ.jpg

One of their planes may have been shotdown by Weapon but another and maybe more still fly on! After Fort Condor and Corel the Underwater Reactor is next!

2kpuTZR.jpg
tAXAmvQ.jpg

I like how we've pieced together Shinras entire plans just by chatting up people around the world well before the plot dumps it on us an says "hey go here and then there" an so on. If Shinras gonna broadcast their plans all over the news and stuff they can't possibly NOT be expecting the party to show up right?

lq4GnID.jpg
7boR8FU.jpg

???? Damn it old man! Goddamn T and the rest aren't doing that! Shinra are the ones trying ta do that!

yS1zglF.jpg
F3hZ9Iw.jpg

Didn't wanna stick around that mansion earlier cause the baddies there are so annoying but now that everyones leveled up well beyond whats needed for the place. So theres now no harm in sitting back and hoping, waiting, praying these "Jersey" enemies feel like teaching ya ????. No thats not me being confused, its this enemy skills name!

o9zHjy2.jpg

Got 3 prizes from that safe way back when. Odin materia, FF XIII's ultimate limit break, and a basement key. Now lets discover what that last one does!

gB3lLwE.jpg
phk2xil.jpg

A conversation with some dude who sleeps in coffins. Not much of a prize! Going over some really old news. Was this guy here in the mansion this whole time? If so you'd think he woulda known about some of this.

fivRudB.jpg
Qohv7TC.jpg

A former member of the Turks who calls himself Dracula. ...right. Moving on!

iRdqtob.jpg
2SuQKOE.jpg

Lore update!! Sephiroths mom was a normal human lady, not some ancient space alien! He just never knew it! His whole insane quest of world domination because he was "created" is just some big misunderstanding on his part.

ZGgmU0L.jpg
mHpdsI6.jpg

New party member! Some dude who blames himself for not preventing Sephiroths birth or w/e and sleeps in a coffin as atonement. Great. Well without Look, What, and now This around we can't be to picky if we're trying ta bolster our party size!

dmd0XsX.jpg
bVCNxqp.jpg

Hmm, different color birds are capable of different feats. Keep on trying ta remember stuff mister sage! We'll check back in later!

6nDk6KL.jpg

This is it! The final battle of Fort Condor! Shinra's throwing all they have at it and so must we! All the money the partys donated over time thats leftover is returned to 'em to spend on as many troops as seen fit!

z3On6V3.jpg
jdIZGBt.jpg

They weren't lying about there being far more enemies than ever before! They totally swarmed our guys pushed their backs up to the wall! And when the party was forced to fight the enemy commander they got smacked down hard! But wait! Its not truly Game Over!

QVVrknE.jpg
4RSasAh.jpg
vQHB0A8.jpg

I guess the people there pulled the partys butts outta the fire an dropped 'em somewhere safe? Dunno if any of 'em survived though. The rope leading up into the place is gone now so we've actually lost a free sleep place... ;_;

p0qoGoF.jpg

Miserable failure or not, the plan was to check back in on This and What from time to time so lets see whats going on? According to the nurse, This is sticking by his side day in and out.

LrQsU7m.jpg
SxT4d8U.jpg

No changes here. This is still down and out and What is still super unresponsive.

c5DKDhl.jpg
3vB8LC0.jpg

...?? Hey...!

Ya all thinking what I'm thinking?

In celebration of Xenogear's 20th anniversary, GAF Plays: Xeno games

Let's Play Xenogears like most other people cause I'm an unoriginal hack!

uKoPfaR.jpg

Okays this is the one most peeps are starting with an the only one I'm interested in!

Updates!
What do ya think goes here? Links to posts made after this one of course! Same as always!

• Disc 1
Pt.01 - Rock, Paper, FUCK THIS
Pt.02 - ???

• Disc 2
(coming much later!)

...wait, wait no. This is SO not the time nor the thread for this.

>.>
...next time......
<.<

one we have on steam - I suppose you are asking about that - has an autobattle option indeed, combat animations still take time though, but! you can skip summoning animation.
I use only one character (with kick on auto) for farming (where possible), it makes things a lot faster, one animated move instead of 5. Unfortunately that's not an option for probably half of those rare drops.

I wanted all achievements, it's one of my most played game, I want to do the last play through it with the bang of getting all rare drops. It takes ages tho and it's hella boring.
So you're one of those compulsive collectors? Not me. On my first playthrough I got the Bomb and I think Goblin summon in the beginning of the game, never got them since. Once I found out how rare those drops were I found out I was extremely lucky.

Vbrasa

I've been trying to play through (and platinum when I can) as many Final Fantasy games as I can (on PS4). Why? Because I've not much better to do when I'm not at work.

So far, this year I've managed to Platinum VII (loved it, and thankfully the 3x speed button in the PS4 version made this one much more enjoyable for the grind), and XV (I loved that story).

Currently I'm on X, just finishing up the sphere grid. I got XII today, and am not sure whether to do X-2 or XII next.

I wish they could put VIII and IX on PS4, since they're my favourite, (although I could just play my original PS1 or Vita copies).

I may go revisit I-VI sometime, but I don't wanna touch the mobile versions, and only have 1+2 on GBA at the moment, any recommendations?

kromeo

I've been trying to play through (and platinum when I can) as many Final Fantasy games as I can (on PS4). Why? Because I've not much better to do when I'm not at work.

So far, this year I've managed to Platinum VII (loved it, and thankfully the 3x speed button in the PS4 version made this one much more enjoyable for the grind), and XV (I loved that story).

Currently I'm on X, just finishing up the sphere grid. I got XII today, and am not sure whether to do X-2 or XII next.

I wish they could put VIII and IX on PS4, since they're my favourite, (although I could just play my original PS1 or Vita copies).

I may go revisit I-VI sometime, but I don't wanna touch the mobile versions, and only have 1+2 on GBA at the moment, any recommendations?

X-2 is good but nearly all the areas in it are reused from X, I would maybe leave a gap before playing it. There's also story reasons why I wouldn't personally recommend jumping straight into the sequel but I don't want to spoil anything

Finally got around to episodes Gladio and Prompto for XV. Short, battle systems janky, but fun, pretty, and, most importantly, some really nice emotional scenes and dialogue scattered throughout. Some of the Prompto/Aranea scenes are really nice, and it reminded me how much I enjoyed the character interaction and writing in the main game.

But what made the older games really sing for me was how the character driven stuff was in service of a reasonably well paced story. And here, where I'd put the line by line writing up there with XII and IX, these two episodes in XV are dlc I'm playing way after the fact. They need to figure how to get all this stuff into the main game in the right place and time for XVI.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Once I
hopefully
platinum FFXII:TZA, I will dive into FFX PS4/PSV (replay) and actually finish one of the important FF sequels I've missed:

Dirge of Cerberus

I'm about done with XII:ZA myself. Really enjoyed it, but losing steam at Archades. I don't have very fond memories of most of the end game dungeons....

Kinsei

Banned
Once I
hopefully
platinum FFXII:TZA, I will dive into FFX PS4/PSV (replay) and actually finish one of the important FF sequels I've missed:

Dirge of Cerberus

Dirge of Cerberus is really bad so I would recommend against it. Although it is short so at least it has one thing going for it unlike the worst FF sequel, The After Years.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Dirge of Cerberus is fine. It's stupid, but it's fine. Gameplay is serviceable, and the story and setting are enjoyable if you like campy shit. Kinda like a bad horror movie kind of enjoyable.

Those rare drops are the worst! the worst!
I might die of all age before I'll get them all.

I usually get all the rare drop summons. I'll usually get at least one of them playing normally, then the others take maybe 45 minutes of farming each. Last time however, on the PSP version, I spent 20 hours trying to get Goblin to drop and finally just gave up. Thousands of battles. Really frustrating. On the DS version, none of the 1% drops gave me trouble. They were pretty reliably dropping around.......1% of the time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dirge of Cerberus is really bad so I would recommend against it. Although it is short so at least it has one thing going for it unlike the worst FF sequel, The After Years.

I finished TAY in the PSP version of FFIV. It was needless and convolutes the story (but can still follow). It has waaaaaay too much recycling, probably the worst recycling I've seen. And the final dungeon was ass.

At least the final boss looked cool.

Opa-Pa

I'm currently playing XIITZA and loving the hell out of it, I'm completely addicted, but before that I tried a couple other titles, XIII and X-2.

XIII I had already tried once before only made it to where you control Snow because I got bored, but I figured that after all this time and maybe focusing on the combat it would be different? "Surely it'll be fun unless the story, characters and world are offensively bad or something"

Boy.

I can't even begin to explain my problems with the writing in this game. I only made it to the part where the party is finally reunited and are all marked or whatever by the god thingies, but wow it's like this was written and directed by an alien or something. Everything is so bizarre it's like Tommy Wiseau's The Room except there's an annoying anime girl too (Vanille). The game starts with a sequence that feels like it belonged like 5 hours into the story, it makes you assume that characters know each other due to the way they act but nope, they don't. There's Hope's weird struggle with wanting to tell Snow to go fuck himself and is sticking with Vanille for some reason even though they don't know each other? Vanille is unbearable, and of course, "moms are tough".

The game is shamelessly linear too and okay I accepted it in X but at least that game tried to get creative with its map layouts to give the illusion that it wasn't. This is a literal straight line half of the time... But man, does it look gorgeous. How the hell did they manage those visuals on PS3 while being 1080p?It's unreal.

Is the rest of the game this bad too? I want to keep playing sometime because the combat and character progression seemed cool, but if it doesn't get better then ugh, it's gonna be rough.

X-2 was a surprise. The game thematically reminds me of Persona 5 a lot and the combat and dressphere thing are super fun, I loved what I played of it... I just wish it had nothing to do with X because I feel like it retroactively ruins it for me, but I can pretend it's a weird spinoff thing and still enjoy it. Really looking forward to properly play it later on.

RE: "FFT is easy to break" -- yes, it is. But the next time you play, you might deliberately avoid using certain characters or jobs. Like FF5, it's amazing how easy FFT is to break, but how flexible it is if you'd like to play it a different way.

Oh yeah I could tell, I was pretty relieved that the game let me experiment so freely. It wasn't until I was drowning in story characters that I started using them fully, before that it was all generics trying new setups the whole time and it was really, really fun.

I'm really looking forward to revisiting it with WoTL once I'm done with XII and the Tactics A games.

ULTROS!

I feel like I'm the only one who liked FFXIII (then again, I like and appreciate all mainline FF games lol). I might do another playthrough this September or October.

I did like exploring Pulse though, it was pretty great.

kromeo

I feel like I'm the only one who liked FFXIII (then again, I like and appreciate all mainline FF games lol). I might do another playthrough this September or October.

I did like exploring Pulse though, it was pretty great.

I like it somewhat, although I actually prefer the linear sections to Pulse. I even like Hope as a character

Opa-Pa

To be fair I might end up liking the rest of it, who knows... It's just that the intro was surreal to me. I didn't even have anything against the game before starting it, I was fully expecting to enjoy it even.

ULTROS!

To be fair I might end up liking the rest of it, who knows... It's just that the intro was surreal to me. I didn't even have anything against the game before starting it, I was fully expecting to enjoy it even.

The intro was fancy to look at but it's a bad "beginning" since there's little or no context on what's happening and will be explained much later. And maybe because so many elements are flying by with no context.

Comparing it to something similar, which is the FFVII intro train ride, at least that had some context, namely to sneak attack/invade the Mako reactor. Barrett explains briefly what they're supposed to do also.

FFXIII's train ride is a fancy version of the FFVII train ride but you're not sure what's happening. You think it's a sneak attack but there's a war going on and there's a civilian (Sazh) with you who just happened to tag along for reasons unknown yet.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think XIII's intro is probably the best part about its story. I really enjoy the high-concept "scenario" of Lightning freeing a train of condemned deportees.

If the question is whether the plotting gets better if you have issues here.... No, it doesn't.

ULTROS!

I think XIII's intro is probably the best part about its story. I really enjoy the high-concept "scenario" of Lightning freeing a train of condemned deportees.

I like the intro actually, it's super fancy to look at, the world looks cool and the SFX look great too. The vagueness is fine with me but it can be both good and bad.

Good meaning you'll be more curious on how the story unfolds and what's happening to the world.

Bad meaning the elements left out will confuse the players from the get go, even more so when they find out the story isn't exactly easy to follow or missing some explanations unless you read the datalogue.

Geido

So I'm playing through FFIV complete right now. Should I play The After Years as well? I'm not hearing good things...

Edit: I ended my post woth a formal greeting, shouldn't work and Gaf at the same time.

SOLDIER

I'm currently bouncing between FFXII TZA, Stormblood, WoFF, FFRK and Brave Exvius.

It sure feels like the year of Final Fantasy to me (still hoping for more re-release announcements).

Top Bottom