• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-depth review of the Samsung KS 8000

Man it's hard to wait for a nice $600-$700 tv to be full featured. Just went into Best Buy and 4K really is a amazing!

I want one so bad for my Pro in November 😩

Wait, so the UK KS8000 is the US 9000? I thought they were both the same model, but came with different stands. Could have sworn someone said this was the case in the other 4K tv thread.

The US KS9000 and 98000 both come with the stand that the UK 8000 has....So which is right?

thenameDS

Discussed it with the other half today and we are buying it soon to replace our W829. Would have loved to pick up the 75inch model but at £4,000, it's just not within our budget so the 65inch for £2,200 is what we will buy. Really been wanting to pick up a 4K HDR TV that has the low input lag like of our 1080p Sony.

For anyone after a 4K bargain and after the same features as the KS range, it would be wise to try and pick up a 2015 JS model 8500/9000 (possibly the US 8500 has higher lag) JS has lower peak brightness but sustained 550 ish, which the KS falls to anyway, but crucially JS models have HDR playable in game mode, which will be in the low 20's, 93% DCI, 1080 motion res with no strobing like the KS range for TV and films,
But you can have cinema black for JS (unlike KS) as the LED's are placed vertically, looks nice in games and films.

BigEmil

Bummer that it's so expensive. It's hard to justify spending so much money when my 1080p it's pretty great and 4K content is limited. I'd love one to go with a PS4 Pro but man it's a lot, especially between the two.
Don't worry these new 4k TV prices will drop alot in the upcoming years you don't need to buy it now it's too soon imo

Kyne

Stop promoting this fucking tv. I'm seeing it in all the 4k gaming threads.

I haven't bought mine yet and they are starting to sell out/raise in price.

jeffc919

Just placed an order on Samsung.com this morning for the 65" ks8000 for $1475 through my wife work. Looking forward to getting it this week.

I ordered the same TV last week and it still hasn't shipped yet. According to posters on Slickdeals it is backordered. Hoping mine ships reasonably soon.

i have this tv and it is amazing

i initially went with the sony x850d as the price difference was over $1000 CAD. the input lag in HDR was horrendous (90+ ms), the blacks were terrible, and brightness wasn't very good and the picture just looked sort of washed out overall

super happy i took it back and got the ks8000 instead. nicest piece of electronics i have ever owned

Trojan

So this is better than the LG OLEDs for gaming?

If you're a stickler for lag, this TV or other LED TVs are the way to go. If you want the best IQ, the LG OLEDs really can't be beat (also they're expensive as shit).

I have a KS8000(US) that I use as my PC monitor in the living room and I love it. The IQ has a brightness that exceeds OLED and the picture contrast is really something. I have my PC setup at native 4K and this TV very much delivers for 4K and HDR. Someone above commented that the more expensive step-up, the KS9000, has some slight tweaks in picture and usability but isn't worth the extra price, which I agree with. I saw both in a showroom and I could barely tell the difference.

For the price, this TV is totally worth it from my experience.

KennyL

Personally, I would not buy an OLED for gaming due to image retention / burn-in issues. That is not something I want to have to think about when using a TV.

Agree with this. I've been on plasma for few years and corners all look dirty due to bunch of ui elements stacking and fading.

Izayoi

Banned
What does input lag look like on OLEDs?

Do they have any downsides? Image retention is not a big deal to me... My plasma is just fine after four years.

What does input lag look like on OLEDs?

Do they have any downsides? Image retention is not a big deal to me... My plasma is just fine after four years.

it is not great. LG is the king of 4k OLEDs right now

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-type/oled/best

the picture is absolutely beautiful on them though

downsides = input lag, and they are expensive as shit. if you are a baller then maybe the second point is not a concern

Wish this set had fald, cannot stand edge lit displays.

same here, and i like to watch movies in the dark too which makes it worse. im waiting for more info about dynamic metadata, so hopefully by that time, FALDS and oleds will drop in price.

BruceCLea

Banned
It's fine for the average person. Too high for me.

200w.gif

This thread makes me happy and very excited. I was not in the market for a 4k TV. but With the PS4 Pro coming and Also looking to upgrade to the Xbone S this year I have decided to take the plunge. I realize it might be a year or so early but after looking into it and seeing the Samsung KS8000 and the Vizio P Series I felt better about doing so.

The Samsung KS8000 is the one I am planning on getting and this only makes me feel better about doing it! Can't wait! Thanks GAF!

So what about the Vizio P series if I am ok with switching between hdr and not for input sensitive games? Bear in mind my current tv is over 60ms

GeoNeo

I disagree.
TV seems pretty decent, but 22ms is still insanely high. I'll be waiting awhile it seems.

Lowest input lag reported by Leo Bodnar device I've seen is 9ms on 23" LG IPS237L 1080p monitor. You won't see a huge screen TV reaching those numbers. I'd say best you can hope for is under 1 frame (16.66ms) of input lag which is should be fine for anyone.

I know on my old G10 Plasma which had under 1 frame input lag I have no problem landing 1 frame links and the like in any fighter. 22ms should be fine if I were to adjust to it. But, before tournament I'd play on my monitor to adjust to sub-1frame again if I ever did buy this tv. ;p

Thankfully with more and more review sites covering input lag properly last year or two now tv manufacturers are starting to give a crap. I bet next years models will show big improvement in their HDR game mode.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
It's already been said but that's the KS9000 for US buyers.
Title change?

Updated OP. Sorry forgot Samsung model numbers so crazy diff between UK & US. -_-

I've been waiting for this review from this outlet all week. They had tweet out that a review was forthcoming. Thanks OP.

All good, Goose! I love HDTV Test honestly wish they got more love they have been amazing for years and my go to for in-depth reviews. :D

Swass

So what about the Vizio P series if I am ok with switching between hdr and not for input sensitive games? Bear in mind my current tv is over 60ms

P Series is a nice set that has fald, but it has about the same input lag as your current set with HDR enabled, basically making it a deal killer for hdr gaming in my opinion. I honestly think if you need a set this year the Samsung in the topic is one of the only options. Word on the street is that next year most manufacturers are supposed to be addressing the hdr input lag issue and a lot of those sets drop pretty early in the year so if you can wait until spring you will probably have far more options.

Edit:

Rtings Vizio P Series 2016 TV Review (YouTube)

Rtings Samsung KS8000 TV Review (YouTube)

farisr

Curios to what you're using right now to play? I mean the lowest for even a monitor is 9ms, so 22ms for a TV is not bad at all.
Yeah, I'm thinking there are two likely scenarios, that either Wagram currently uses a monitor, or is thinking about response time numbers instead of input lag.

taoofjord

I had both the Samsung 65KS8000 and LG OLED65C6P and after going back and forth on what t do, decided to hold off on the OLED until LG gets their input lag down. I'm keeping the KS8000 and I'm super happy with it. The picture is freaking amazing once you have it properly calibrated. Light bleed, which initially bothered me, is no longer an issue once calibration minimized it (and I got used to it). There's no denying the superior OLED PQ but the KS8000 still looks astounding.

I'm having a blast playing Bioshock Infinite, Mad Max, and The Witcher 3 in 4K and I can't wait for Forxa Horizon 3 to come out so I can play a game with HDR.

Point is, if you want a 4K HDR tv this fall, this is the model to get. It's an amazing TV.

raidersx

I'm very close to buying a 60 inch but I feel I should wait a few months til we hear about the dynamic hdr, I wonder if this TV could be updated for it.

Top Bottom